BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-23-2018, 09:56 PM   #1
Doc5513
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

What to check/test/confirm at vehicle delivery!

I'd like to help compile a list of items we should make sure are addressed at vehicle delivery. I am a couple hrs away from my dealer, so running back and forth to deal with issues will be a hassle. Hopefully we can help each other by sharing our experiences thus far.
From my reading I've come up with the following:

-Have the CA Activate the electronic sales agreement(ESS)
-Test SOS call
- Test Comfort Access
- setup and test Connected Drive App. Make sure have "activation code" for iPhone.
-Test Apple CarPlay
- check can see Playlists
-check for the weather widget
-Test Digital Key Card
-Test Remote 3D view
-make sure all subscriptions are activated by CA...SiriusXM, etc.

Please add to the list any other items you can think of for us to ask about or confirm when we pick up the vehicle. Thanks!
Appreciate 5
BMV194.50
Scott1815.00
RVAGuy166.00
Cooltones241.00
MissVito205.50
      12-23-2018, 10:01 PM   #2
2019x5User
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bwm x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc5513 View Post
I'd like to help compile a list of items we should make sure are addressed at vehicle delivery. I am a couple hrs away from my dealer, so running back and forth to deal with issues will be a hassle. Hopefully we can help each other by sharing our experiences thus far.

-Test SOS call
- Test Comfort Access
- setup and test Connected Drive App. Make sure have "activation code" for iPhone.
-Test Apple CarPlay
-Test Digital Key Card
-Test Remote 3D view

Please add to the list any other items you can think of for us to ask about or confirm when we pick up the vehicle. Thanks!
I assume checking things like interior/exterior, add- on options etc by default
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 06:29 AM   #3
lumpydog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

That’s a really good list - I’d add

- Take delivery in the day, when there is good light.

- Bring your order sheet - go over each added feature and ensure it is there and works.

- Check paint for damage/scuffs

- Check upholstery/interior for damage, etc

- Make sure all electric/motor driven items work (horn, windows, sunroof, tailgate, soft close doors, seat adjusters, heated seats, cameras, steering wheel adjuster, mirrors adjust/fold, remote start, air/height/suspension, turn signal, all exterior and interior lights, etc.

- Pop the hood (pull lever 2x) - make sure it opens/closes

- Check tire pressure when you get home. My fronts were about 8-9 lbs over inflated.

- I made sure Steering Intervention was disabled before I drove off the lot.

My X5 was really well cleaned when I picked it up - the dealer did a nice job in that respect. Only thing we tripped over was getting Connected drive App to work on my phone and it was clear that the CA and the Genius were not going to be able to get it to work. Not a deal breaker and I elected to leave/deal with it later - a software glitch, not a factory defect.

The way delivery works:

- Get your paperwork sorted

- A “Genius” walks you through setting up the vehicle. Took about 40 minutes.

My genius was a slightly over-eager kid. Based on these forums and having reviewed the electronic manual and watched the numerous BMW iDrive setup videos... I knew a lot more than the kid - but he had a few good tips and oriented me to iDrive 7’s navigation. We walked through setup - including, logging the vehicle into Connected drive, getting my phone paired, etc.

He missed enabling Apple Car Play which involves a number of different settings that need to be enabled/checked (WiFi). He also missed having me run through a screen that has a number of one-time agreements/approvals on data usage that is required to enable certain features.

When you get home, expect to spend a few hours running deep into the menus to make sure you have seen and decided on EVERY possible setting. Be sure to move the iDrive control to the right of every screen and left of every screen and down until navigation stops - to ensure you see all screens/pages/settings. Turn the iDrive control to highlight each menu item and push the iDrive control down to see if there is more content/settings/pages behind each item.

From the home screen, you can move the iDrive control up to expose even more items (I initially missed this). Also from the home screen - there is an icon (3 boxes) you can touch and it opens a menu to customize the home screen with Widgets.

You can do all of this with the touch screen as well - vs the controller - but, I found turning the controller methodically highlights what is interactive, as your turn the controller.

A quick way to get into the driver assist menus: Above the current temp setting screen is a car with a green circle around it. That is a button and when pushed, it takes you directly to a specific driver assist settings screen where you can quickly enable all driver assist items or set it to your individual/memorized setup (e.g. Steering Intervention deactivated).

A quick way to get to the temperature/ventilation settings is the press the “Menu” button - the top half of the button below your current temp readout.

Finally, don’t forget buttons 1-8 in the dash can be pressed/held in when you are on certain screens/items and they can be quickly assigned to that button for future one-click access.

Last edited by lumpydog; 01-03-2019 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: Typos
Appreciate 6
BMV194.50
nvsocr755.00
GrussGott18113.00
      12-24-2018, 06:40 AM   #4
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

For me the very first inspection was build quality, paint, wheels, leather,etc..looking for any defects. After that the electronic set-ups are a far second. I still view my vehicle as “The Ultimate Driving Machine” and not a iPad with wheels.
My dealer has a great presentation room with great lighting.

Appreciate 3
Wild Blue3676.50
jasrboyd123.50
Cooltones241.00
      12-24-2018, 06:50 AM   #5
Doc5513
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
That's a really good list - I'd add

- Take delivery in the day, when there is good light.

- Bring your order sheet - go over each added feature and ensure it is there and works.

- Check paint for damage/scuffs

- Check upholstery/interior for damage, etc

- Make sure all electric/motor driven items work (horn, windows, sunroof, tailgate, soft close doors, seat adjusters, heated seats, cameras, steering wheel adjuster, mirrors adjust/fold, remote start, air/height/suspension, turn signal, all exterior and interior lights, etc.

- Pop the hood - make sure it opens/closes

- Check tire pressure when you get home. My fronts were about 8-9 lbs over inflated.

- I made sure Steering Intervention was disabled before I drove off the lot.

My X5 was really well cleaned when I picked it up - the dealer did a nice job in that respect. Only thing we tripped over was getting Connected drive App to work on my phone and it was clear that the CA and the Genius were not going to be able to get it to work. Not a deal breaker and I elected to leave/deal with it later - a software glitch, not a factory defect.

The way delivery works:

- Get your paperwork sorted

- A "Genius" walks you through setting up the vehicle. Took about 40 minutes.

My genius was a slightly over-eager kid. Based on these forums and having reviewed the electronic manual and watched the numerous BMW iDrive setup videos... I knew a lot more than the kid - but he had a few good tips and oriented me to iDrive 7's navigation. We walked through setup - including, logging the vehicle into Connected drive, getting my phone paired, etc.

He missed enabling Apple Car Play which involves a number of different settings that need to be enabled/checked (WiFi). He also missed having me run through a screen that has a number of on-time agreements/approvals on data usage that is required to enable certain features.

When you get home, expect to spend a few hours running deep into the menus to make sure you have seen and decided on EVERY possible setting. Be sure to move the iDrive control to the right of every screen and left of every screen and down until navigation stops - to ensure you see all screens/pages/settings. Turn the iDrive control to highlight each menu item and push the iDrive control down to see if there is more content/settings/pages behind each item.

From the home screen, you can move the iDrive control up to expose more items. Also from the home screen - there s an icon (3 boxes) you can touch and it opens a menu to customize the home screen with Widgets.

You can do all of this with the touch screen as well - vs the controller - but, I found turning the controller methodically highlights what is interactive, as your turn the controller.

A quick way to get into the driver assist menus: Above the current temp setting screen is a car with a green circle around it. That is a button and when pushed, it takes you directly to a specific driver assist settings screen where you can quickly enable all driver assist items or set it to your individual/memorized setup (e.g. Steering Intervention deactivated).

Finally, don't forget buttons 1-8 in the dash can be pressed/held in when you are on certain screens/items and they can be quickly assigned to that button for future on-click access.
Great points all. I was focused more on the glitches and bugs, but we can't forget the interior/exterior walk around and standard car functions. Hopefully verifying the car has the most current updated software is part of their delivery process. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 07:09 AM   #6
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

Here is a report on what did not go well from my two pages of notes to check at delivery:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1563744
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 03:32 PM   #7
2019x5User
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
For me the very first inspection was build quality, paint, wheels, leather,etc..looking for any defects. After that the electronic set-ups are a far second. I still view my vehicle as "The Ultimate Driving Machine" and not a iPad with wheels.

Where you get the "M" icon from?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 10:33 PM   #8
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019x5User View Post
Badge came with factory options.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 06:48 AM   #9
2019x5User
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Badge came with factory options.
Where you locate?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 09:57 AM   #10
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Where you locate?
PA. If your 50i M-Sport didn't get one, your dealer could order one. Its the same badge as on the M2 fenders. These badges are hit or miss coming from the factory and build dates.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 11:01 AM   #11
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
PA. If your 50i M-Sport didn't get one, your dealer could order one. Its the same badge as on the M2 fenders. These badges are hit or miss coming from the factory and build dates.
As far as I understand the US is not supposed to get them and the factory screws up from time to time, F15 was the same the very odd person got them, but getting them is an accident if you get them.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 12:40 PM   #12
2019x5User
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
Quote:
As far as I understand the US is not supposed to get them and the factory screws up from time to time, F15 was the same the very odd person got them, but getting them is an accident if you get them.
So it's just like a sticker that you can stick wherever you want
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 12:33 PM   #13
Doc5513
Captain
Rep

Anyone have any additional Items to add? Looks like I'll get my car next week!!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 12:49 PM   #14
ven7782
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i, 2017 Q7 prestige

Quote:
Anyone have any additional Items to add? Looks like I'll get my car next week!!
Check this thread. Its better to get this sorted at the dealership at the time of delivery even though you can do it remotely too. Just to save the hassle.
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1569359

Last edited by ven7782; 01-02-2019 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: aaa
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 07:27 AM   #15
dv-s
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 Xdrive30d

nice checklist, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 05:52 PM   #16
wanderlustX5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019

Quote:

-Test SOS call
- Test Comfort Access
-Test Apple CarPlay
-Test Digital Key Card
-Test Remote 3D view

My car is finally here! I had bookmarked this thread long time ago.
Thank you for putting up the list.
What is electronic sales agreement??
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 11:34 AM   #17
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M60i

I am finally taking delivery tomorrow. Thanks for the list! Great points from everyone.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 11:54 AM   #18
3rd X5
Rep
Drives: 2013 328ixdrive Sports

I am getting delivery next week so this will help a lot.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 05:46 PM   #19
msunny
Rep
Drives: 328i 2013 and X5 2019

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
2013 bmw 328i  [0.00]
Here is a summary of what was mentioned. Please add something not covered

Setup with Dealer's help
1. Perform the March 2019 Software update
2. Setup / activate key card / use phone as key
3. Setup connected drive APP accounts, Make sure have "activation code" for iPhone.*
4. Setup Guest profile, Spouse profile
5. Setup remote 3D camera viewing on Phone
6. Setup cornering lights ( a software update only dealer can update)
7. Setup/ Activate the Electronic Sales Agreement ESS
8. Set mirrors to fold when locking the vehicle
9. Help setup the Wi-Fi hotspot using the cars built in WIFI feature (find out IMEA number of the cellular chip in the car)
10. Setup subscription of Sirius XM
11. Setup Apple Car Play
12. Setup the Harmon Kardon Equalizer setting
13. Setting Driver Lane Keeping Assistance feature OFF* (disable active steering intervention IN BOTH KEYS)
14. Run through a screen that has a number of one-time agreements/approvals on data usage that is required to enable certain features.

Checks that need to be performed
1. *Check tire pressure
2. Test SOS call
3. Make sure the 1st aid kit is there
4. Test Comfort Access*
5. Check paint for damage/scuffs
6. Cross check order sheet*
7. check to see if you can see Playlists*
8. check for the weather widget*
9. Test Digital Key Card
10. Test Remote 3D view
11. confirm all usb/power ports work
12. Test the Remote start
13. Check upholstery/interior for damage, etc
14. Understand the process for setting the Garage door opener
15. Understand how to reset trip meter
Appreciate 2
      03-29-2019, 05:55 PM   #20
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

^ I think you should skip #13 (LKA) until you have experienced it. I have not had any problems with mine being on in the two+ months I have had it.
Appreciate 1
msunny12.00
      04-05-2019, 06:02 PM   #21
WBMWKID
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 BMW M3

Quote:
For me the very first inspection was build quality, paint, wheels, leather,etc..looking for any defects. After that the electronic set-ups are a far second. I still view my vehicle as “The Ultimate Driving Machine” and not a iPad with wheels.

What a great looking X5. I spec'd my out roughly the same which includes not opting for any bigger wheels than what comes standard with the M Sport 40i. Do you like those wheels or do you wish you would have gone bigger.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 03:08 PM   #22
rdrcontact
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBMWKID View Post
Quote:

What a great looking X5. I spec'd my out roughly the same which includes not opting for any bigger wheels than what comes standard with the M Sport 40i. Do you like those wheels or do you wish you would have gone bigger.
Great thread. Subscribed. Waiting for delivery for mine and was mentally going over list. Thanks for compiling it!
Appreciate 0