BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-14-2020, 10:55 AM   #1
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X6 M50i

Inspection sticker location

Hi guys, picked up my G06 recently. I noticed that the inspection sticker on the lower left corner (Driver's side) very annoying and block vision. Can it be placed on the lower right corner of the windshield (passenger side). Is it legal? Can the caps pull you over for displaying inspection sticker on the passenger side? I do see most cars on the streets have the sticker in the driver's side, but can't find the specific law at NJ MVC website. Thanks a lot

Last edited by RJJJ; 02-14-2020 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 12:09 PM   #2
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJJ View Post
Hi guys, picked up my G06 recently. I noticed that the inspection sticker on the lower left corner (Driver's side) very annoying and block vision. Can it be placed on the lower right corner of the windshield (passenger side). Is it legal? Thanks a lot
Virginia recently changed from bottom middle to bottom of drivers side supposedly under theory it was less intrusive. Sticker location is not optional.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 12:14 PM   #3
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Hi guys, picked up my G06 recently. I noticed that the inspection sticker on the lower left corner (Driver's side) very annoying and block vision. Can it be placed on the lower right corner of the windshield (passenger side). Is it legal? Thanks a lot
You can check with any DMV Inspection station in NY but as I remember it must go in the lower drivers side windshield so it can be seen by passing law enforcement drivers and of course during any road inspections, the state troopers always stand in the middle of the road so they can see the sticker on cars going in both directions.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 01:03 PM   #4
Dagwag77
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW X5 M50i, '19 430i Conv

Quote:
Noticed your location is NY. Here is the applicable law:

15 CRR-NY 17.4 - Placement of number plates and validating sticker.

(d) Windshield stickers shall be placed on the left-hand side of the inside front windshield to the right of the inspection sticker as viewed from the driver's seat in a position that will not obscure the vehicle identification number...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 01:06 PM   #5
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Out of curiosity, how low did they put it? Where this usually goes in NY, it does not block vision at all, it's barely above the dash. If that is in your way, perhaps you're not sitting high enough?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 01:44 PM   #6
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
Those stickers are awful and useless. New cars already conform and older cars can have their inspection before registration renewal as a condition of issuing the new registration every year or two. The location of the window sticker was not optional in the states that I've lived that had them. I'm in a windshield sticker free state now.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 01:58 PM   #7
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
Those stickers are awful and useless. New cars already conform and older cars can have their inspection before registration renewal as a condition of issuing the new registration every year or two. The location of the window sticker was not optional in the states that I've lived that had them. I'm in a windshield sticker free state now.
Then you would have frequency of vehicle registration and state safety inspections to be similar. In Virginia I can opt for a three year vehicle registration but won't want state inspections limited to every three years.

After living in South America, where for many tires aren't changed until they blow out, I find reassuring that vehicles are inspected frequently.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 02:18 PM   #8
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks, Just moved to NJ recently, which only requires a inspection sticker. NY is more annoying as it requires both inspection and registration sticker on the drivers' side... Not sure about the NJ law, but almost all the cars on road has the sticker on the driver's side.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 02:19 PM   #9
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAGuy View Post
Virginia recently changed from bottom middle to bottom of drivers side supposedly under theory it was less intrusive. Sticker location is not optional.
I think VA did that since some cars have crash avoidance system, which can be interfered by the middle sticker location
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 02:20 PM   #10
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwag77 View Post
Noticed your location is NY. Here is the applicable law:

15 CRR-NY 17.4 - Placement of number plates and validating sticker.

(d) Windshield stickers shall be placed on the left-hand side of the inside front windshield to the right of the inspection sticker as viewed from the driver's seat in a position that will not obscure the vehicle identification number...
Thanks a lot. But I just moved to NJ recently, is it the location requirement the same in NJ?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 02:21 PM   #11
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Out of curiosity, how low did they put it? Where this usually goes in NY, it does not block vision at all, it's barely above the dash. If that is in your way, perhaps you're not sitting high enough?
very low, at the left lower corner. Technically it doesn't block vision, but just feel uncomfortable seeing it all the time
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 02:23 PM   #12
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
very low, at the left lower corner. Technically it doesn't block vision, but just feel uncomfortable seeing it all the time
Is this your first car in NY? I guess you just get used to it.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 02:23 PM   #13
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That's cool, I lived in CA before, where I don't even know there is a thing called 'inspection sticker'.... All you need to do is to put registration sticker on the plates.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 02:24 PM   #14
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Is this your first car in NY? I guess you just get used to it.
Just moved to NJ. It's my first car in NJ
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 02:29 PM   #15
Dagwag77
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW X5 M50i, '19 430i Conv

Quote:
Thanks a lot. But I just moved to NJ recently, is it the location requirement the same in NJ?
Believe so

Quote:
Jealous... NY requires both registration and inspection stickers and like you said - awful and useless - especially when you're stuck with some obnoxiously colored inspection sticker for a year
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 10:10 PM   #16
videoman535i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M50i, 2008 335i

In CA we have every other year smog checks for vehicles more than 5 (?) years old. No stickers in the windshield, you just need to get it done (and pass) before the annual registration sticker is issued for your rear plate. Surprised CA doesn't do a yearly inspection which would surely be instituted as another tax.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 08:35 AM   #17
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoman535i View Post
In CA we have every other year smog checks for vehicles more than 5 (?) years old. No stickers in the windshield, you just need to get it done (and pass) before the annual registration sticker is issued for your rear plate. Surprised CA doesn't do a yearly inspection which would surely be instituted as another tax.
At least you have inspections, I'm in Florida at the moment where there are no inspections at all. You would not believe what you see on the roads here. I don't get it Maybe a Florida resident can chime in as to why. I feel unsafe just driving here.
Appreciate 0