First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkleyman View Post
I wonder if you have the spot weld issues or if you have liftgate issues like I did. The noises are very similar and both were passenger rear.
Well, I unfortunately have both. I've sat in the back seat and experienced the OP's creaking sound as well as other noises from the rear. I have one of the very first G05 X5s to roll off the assembly line so am likely to have every systematic issue there is
Ugh. I'm sorry!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 06:51 AM   #46
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i, 2020 RRS SE, 201

Garage List
Well, I thought it was gone......unfortunately not.....I thought it was better, but has come back to same as it was before. I do believe it is related to the rear seat bench and I think they were on the right track but apparently unable to completely rid me of it. I don't plan on returning to the dealer anytime soon as I would rather not be without my vehicle for any additional length of time. I'll see if and how it wears on my nerves.
2017 BMW 530i xDrive Black
2005 BMW Z4 2.5i Jet Black

Last edited by radmjk; 01-23-2020 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 07:34 AM   #47
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by radmjk View Post
Well, I thought it was gone......unfortunately not.....but it is, I'd say better, it's more muted now and appears to be occurring with less frequency. I do believe it is related to the rear seat bench and I think they were on the right track but apparently unable to completely rid me of it. I don't plan on returning to the dealer anytime soon as I would rather not be without my vehicle for any additional length of time. I'll see if and how it wears on my nerves.
What a bummer. Sorry to hear.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 08:23 AM   #48
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Vehicle went back to BMW shop yesterday for the recurring rear creaking sound. At least I got another X5 this time as a loaner. Last word from dealer was that they are waiting to hear from BMW engineering about what to do. 29 days now on this issue if you're counting....
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 11:24 AM   #49
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

X5s have had creaking issues for years, across generations, even though the chassis has a very high torsional rigidity score. My E70 has a creaking sound that I would guess comes from the cargo area cover and a clunking sound that I would guess comes from the rear seat u-brackets.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 02:09 PM   #50
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Latest update is that BMW engineering recommended that the vehicle be taken to another local BMW dealers shop (a competitor) as they apparently have the correct literature and know how to fix the issue my vehicle is having. So they are gonna drive my vehicle the 25 or so miles over to the other dealer to get fixed. Seems odd, but hopefully they'll get it done! I've gotta have faith.
Appreciate 1
hkleyman135.00
      02-13-2020, 07:09 PM   #51
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 787Pilot View Post
Here is a post that I posted last year. Some criticized me for it. But I believe the tides may have turned now. Also, since I wrote this, my new 2020 X5 M50i arrived. It makes the same noises and is now in the shop with half of the engine apart. It has only 1400 miles on it since September 2019. It's been spending the past few months in my garage bleeding oil like it was having its monthly. They say it's the passenger side valve cover gasket and it took the technicians 5 days so far just to tear it down.

"I'm going to say something here and some of you will agree with me, lots of you will disagree and possibly criticize me heavily, and the others will say nothing but agree with me silently. But the fact is, these new X5's are NOT quality cars. Let me explain.

I had a 2016 X5 5.0 and after 2 years, it developed a problem. I don't know how serious the problem was because the dealer was never able to fix it. Now I said the dealer "was never able" to fix, which doesn't qualify the seriousness of the problem but rather the quality of the dealership. I don't want to go into details but let's just say after it elevated to replacing the automatic transmission, that was it for me. Also on that note, if the dealership has to begin removing major parts, forget about it. Your car will never be the same!

So, the factory finally agreed to buy back my car and left me in a spot of having to decide if I wanted to go down this road again. By the way, this was the second X5. I previously had a 2007 and the experience wasn't a walk in the park either. But it was repaired correctly. Anyway, after some thought and after surprising news that BMW was going to the G05, I decided to order another one.

Now "customer service" wise, the dealership management has been the best. I dealt exclusively with the General Manager and this guy is uncannily the best at customer service than anyone is at anything else. He even gave me a new G05 to drive while I waited for my order at no charge for the entire 2 months.

So, I order the X5 equipped just as my previous 5.0 but with nearly every bell and whistle, including the M Sport Package. The car was superb for 2 full months. It was a looker too in Black Sapphire. People would pull me over just to take a look and ask questions. But as I said, "for 2 full months". When we began having warm weather here in California. It seemed to fall apart overnight. Its plastics pieces began to click and pop. It always sounded as if someone was buckling and unbuckling the rear seatbelts when driving over small bumps in the road and uneven surfaces, even though no one was in the backseat. The door jams began to squish and creak. It sounded more like an old Ford from the 60's instead of a modern $90K, technology filled SUV like I "thought" I had. I was devastated!

After months of installing and removing and reinstalling Teflon tape, driving around with BMW Technicians climbing back and forth from the front seat to the rear seat to the cargo area trying to figure out where the clicking and popping noises were coming from, I gave up and lost every ounce of feeling I had for this car. I love cars! I actually teared up when the 2016 had to be returned. I have no feelings for this latest venture down the road of creaks, clicks and pops.

It's been really hot here in California for the past few weeks. But it cools down late at night. One night on a day when my 2019 X5 had not been driven at all, I raise the garage door to let in the cooler air and it set there and began popping like someone was shooting off fireworks. The noises were coming from all the plastic components on the exterior of the car. If you grab the rear bumper cap right behind the rear wheel, the entire area flex more like a plastic blanket instead of a sturdy part.

Fortunately, the dealer agreed not to put me back through the experiences I was having just about a year ago. Though the factory wants patience in trying to repair this car, the dealer said "No way" and agreed themselves to accept the car back. But! I just ordered a new one to see if the 3rd time is the charm. But! I am really, really concerned! And if that was not enough, the dealership again provided me with a new G05 to drive while I wait. They PDI'ed it and gave it straight to me. Two hours later, I was back at the dealership because this car had problems with the Navigation system that required 3 hours of servicing. But that was not the biggee for me. It also had the same clicking and popping sound from the rear interior and doors when driving over small bumps in the road and uneven surfaces that I began to experience after the weather turned warmed.

The reason I took the time to write this "story" is because I know everyone cannot be having all these glowing experiences I read here. I also know I cannot be the only one who is having these problems. Even the dealership spoke to the factory and asked, "Why do you keep sending us these 'pieces of s**t cars'?" Like I said, the dealership has been fairly honest with me.

Again I want to say. I love the BMW X5 with the V8. It "drives" like no other SUV I've driven, even the more expensive and more powerful ones. I just wish they would put as much attention into the structure of the car as they have into its power and technology."
I'm going through the exact same situation, but mine is a 2019 750i. At my wits end with all the noises. Currently working with corporate to figure a solution, I'm hoping they buy it back as well. Funny part is that my previous car was a 2015 X5 and it was solid as a rock. I thought I was upgrading to their flagship, but now I miss the X5. Just writing to let you know that I feel your frustration.
      02-22-2020, 07:34 AM   #52
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
After another ten days at dealer and body shop for a total of 38 days, the noise is nearly gone. I can still hear a hint of the creaky sound but improved to the point I can live with it. Hopefully it'll hold up this time. Dealer actually told me that there are only 4 vehicles in the world with my issue. Not sure about that, but if that's all that have been reported so far I'm sure that number will climb.

Even after all that, I have to admit, I do really like the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 02:04 PM   #53
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Well, a few days have past since previous post. The creaking at acceleration/braking/body flex is back to its original state. Turning up the radio only helps so much as the sound is nearly constant as I drive in a lot of stop and go traffic and very little highway.

Should I be contacting BMW USA for a buy back and rebuild of my vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 02:09 PM   #54
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 & G05 X5

Have you tried the outer door seals?

My 330D did this and I had to buy felt tape and line the door wells. The rubber is hard but grippy. So when the car flexes, the rubber flexes to a point then makes a noise as it breaks contact with the metal.
Appreciate 1
radmjk238.00
      02-25-2020, 05:22 AM   #55
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan View Post

My 330D did this and I had to buy felt tape and line the door wells. The rubber is hard but grippy. So when the car flexes, the rubber flexes to a point then makes a noise as it breaks contact with the metal.
I have not personally, but when I first took the vehicle in that was what they thought it might be. So I was under the impression they looked into that. To me, it does not seem like the rubber seal would make the sound I'm hearing. It's a "tinny" metal on metal sound. I will investigate further what you are telling me. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 04:45 PM   #56
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan View Post

I have not personally, but when I first took the vehicle in that was what they thought it might be. So I was under the impression they looked into that. To me, it does not seem like the rubber seal would make the sound I'm hearing. It's a "tinny" metal on metal sound. I will investigate further what you are telling me. Thanks
We meet again. Mine is back now that the weather warmed up 🤷
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 10:12 PM   #57
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Not sure if this helps your issue but the 3 series/M3 guys including myself have to deal with creaks from the window/door seals. every time the car flexes you it would make a ton of creaking/popping noises and its all from the where the top of the doors meets the black shadow line trim when you close the door.

Adding a thin layer of this all around the area as well as the door seals (all around) eliminated all of the noises on my M3. even if it doesn't help this stuff is excellent at keeping all your seals lubed up and does not just wash off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      02-26-2020, 12:00 PM   #58
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkleyman View Post
We meet again. Mine is back now that the weather warmed up 🤷
I am sorry to hear. I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer. They were going to reach out to BMW engineering again/regional expert. There is no sense in taking it in unless they can actually fix it. Best of luck!
Appreciate 1
hkleyman135.00
      02-27-2020, 05:27 AM   #59
X5_CC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Dealer actually told me that there are only 4 vehicles in the world with my issue. Not sure about that, but if that's all that have been reported so far I'm sure that number will climb.
I bet almost all X5s have this. I think it takes a certain person who hears it, is annoyed by it enough to take it in, and pushes the dealership to really look into it and provide a specific enough account of it to allow BMW to track it.

I've honestly given up on all the noises in this car. I just keep the radio on to maintain my sanity. I really hate taking a car to the dealer to fix squeaks and rattles because I feel like they just roll their eyes and don't try very hard, eager to just conclude they "could not reproduce" and move on to cars that are actually broken. Which really goes back to my first point... it takes a certain person to really hear it and appreciate the annoyance of it.

Thank you for taking the time giving up your new X5 to at least create some awareness of that specific issue. I heard it very early after I got my X5, knew it was something deep and probably difficult to fix, yet took it in anyway — where the dealer "could not reproduce" and instead installed a software update that bricked my car for 3 weeks. Leading to me giving up....
Appreciate 3
      02-27-2020, 11:38 AM   #60
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
I bet almost all X5s have this. I think it takes a certain person who hears it, is annoyed by it enough to take it in, and pushes the dealership to really look into it and provide a specific enough account of it to allow BMW to track it.

I've honestly given up on all the noises in this car. I just keep the radio on to maintain my sanity. I really hate taking a car to the dealer to fix squeaks and rattles because I feel like they just roll their eyes and don't try very hard, eager to just conclude they "could not reproduce" and move on to cars that are actually broken. Which really goes back to my first point... it takes a certain person to really hear it and appreciate the annoyance of it.

Thank you for taking the time giving up your new X5 to at least create some awareness of that specific issue. I heard it very early after I got my X5, knew it was something deep and probably difficult to fix, yet took it in anyway — where the dealer "could not reproduce" and instead installed a software update that bricked my car for 3 weeks. Leading to me giving up....
I get your point to an extent, but if my memory serves me, RADMJK, posted a video of this creak ... it's pretty severe. It's definitely not one of those sounds that only an OCD type person would notice. It sounds like the car is being twisted every time they go over a bump.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 11:39 AM   #61
valkrien
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 40i

I have a 2020 x5 40i with 5k miles and the annoying rattle began this week. It seems that it is coming from the moonroof shade roller. I've also tried every trick and tip in this forum to no avail. The clacking noise is worse when the shade is fully extended. The noise quiets down when I retract the shade. Interestingly, I have a strong acetone smell that fills the cabin when the sunroof portion is opened up. On monday, as the weather here is now warmer, after driving with the sunroof open for 50 miles I noticed a decent amount of an oily substance that came out of the center hole of the hatchback upper section. I only see 2 rubber bumpers on the left and right side but the middle section there is a hole there with no bumper. Is there supposed to be a bumper there for a total of 3 or is it intentionally left without one? I'll submit pics this morning. Super annoying for sure!
Attached Images

Last edited by valkrien; 02-27-2020 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 11:48 AM   #62
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkrien View Post

I have a 2020 x5 40i with 5k miles and the annoying rattle began this week. It seems that it is coming from the moonroof shade roller. I've also tried every trick and tip in this forum to no avail. The clacking noise is worse when the shade is fully extended. The noise quiets down when I retract the shade. Interestingly, I have a strong acetone smell that fills the cabin when the sunroof portion is opened up. On monday, as the weather here is now warmer, after driving with the sunroof open for 50 miles I noticed a decent amount of an oily substance that came out of the center hole of the hatchback upper section. I only see 2 rubber bumpers on the left and right side but the middle section there is a hole there with no bumper. Is there supposed to be a bumper there for a total of 3 or is it intentionally left without one? I'll submit pics this morning. Super annoying for sure!
I had a similar rattle in my car, at first I thought it was the sunroof, but after spending some time trying to isolate it, I realized it was really coming for the D-pillar trim. I would only hear my rattle when music was playing, FYI. If I put my hand on those trim pieces the rattle would stop. Ended up taking felt tape, folding it into small squares, and using them as a shim between the trim piece and the trunk cargo cover track.

As for the oily substance, I suspect it's the anti corrosion solution that BMW uses. A lot of users have noticed this substance leaking out of the doors where there's openings to allow water to escape. This is normal. On hot days it will get worse. The good news is, once all of the excess solution is gone, you won't have to worry about it anymore.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 12:04 PM   #63
valkrien
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
I had a similar rattle in my car, at first I thought it was the sunroof, but after spending some time trying to isolate it, I realized it was really coming for the D-pillar trim. I would only hear my rattle when music was playing, FYI. If I put my hand on those trim pieces the rattle would stop. Ended up taking felt tape, folding it into small squares, and using them as a shim between the trim piece and the trunk cargo cover track.

As for the oily substance, I suspect it's the anti corrosion solution that BMW uses. A lot of users have noticed this substance leaking out of the doors where there's openings to allow water to escape. This is normal. On hot days it will get worse. The good news is, once all of the excess solution is gone, you won't have to worry about it anymore.
Good to know! I was thinking maybe the rear window wiper motor was leaking and became a bit nervous.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 12:34 PM   #64
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkrien View Post

Sorry to hear! I wanted to mention I only have a hole in the middle as well, no rubber bumper. So that is probably the norm.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 12:48 PM   #65
X5_CC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post

I get your point to an extent, but if my memory serves me, RADMJK, posted a video of this creak ... it's pretty severe. It's definitely not one of those sounds that only an OCD type person would notice. It sounds like the car is being twisted every time they go over a bump.
I just scanned through the thread again and I didn't see the OP post a video?

The OP's description of the creak is the exact same behavior of the creak in my X5.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 12:58 PM   #66
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I just scanned through the thread again and I didn't see the OP post a video?

The OP's description of the creak is the exact same behavior of the creak in my X5.
Ah - probably got it confused with another post. There's a similar thread where the OP posted a video of him leaving a parking garage and the car was flexing slightly, but sounded horrible.

Edit - it was actually another poster in this thread claiming a similar issue. His sounds very bad.
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=12
Appreciate 0