arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashes1984 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Sheesh.... that's so bizarre... you'd think they'd be begging to take 2019's off the lots with the 2020's already hitting.
OK..so an update and another disappointing Customer Service Experience

Dealer 1: Agreed to 6% off MSRP, BUT conveniently raised the finance rate from 2.99% to 3.99% (Credit check hasn't been done. Pretty sure I qualify for 2.99% easily.. as earlier BMW was at 0.9%). The manufacturer offer is 2.99% and he said they can add 100 basis points to make up for the discount they gave me. I didn't like this AT all. Luckily all of this is happening over the phone. Still a NO deal.

Dealer 2: Probably the MOST arrogant person I have come across. I texted him Dealer 1's offer (6% off MSRP) with image. His words on the text not mine "I'm worth more, that's an insult to me" . Weird part is that my X3 was bought through Dealer 2, but with a different CA (who is unavailable for sometime).

My current reaction: and

It is fine if stores operate under different models (volume vs gross profit) . He could have politely replied, "my store is not able to match or beat that deal".

I have a couple snarky things in mind that I would have replied but they don't add value ..... so I digress .
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 06:12 PM   #134
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

You have some real winners up there for dealers, no wonder why you are frustrated. I don't know what part of the state you are in but you probably want to venture out of your area. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 06:56 PM   #135
Ashes1984
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
You have some real winners up there for dealers, no wonder why you are frustrated. I don't know what part of the state you are in but you probably want to venture out of your area. Good luck.
are individual dealers allowed to bump the finance rate that BMWFS is offering (as an offer) by w/e basis points they seem fit?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 06:58 PM   #136
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
are individual dealers allowed to bump the finance rate that BMWFS is offering (as an offer) by w/e basis points they seem fit?
Yes, they are allowed to mark up finance rates as well as money factors on leases. Most times you can get them to drop it to the base but not always.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 07:07 PM   #137
Ashes1984
Rep

Quote:
Yes, they are allowed to mark up finance rates as well as money factors on leases. Most times you can get them to drop it to the base but not always.
Thanks this is good to know.. Looks like I am waiting for September or even look at out of state dealers. My prior BMW process was so simple where both of us were happy with the offer on the table and went onto seal it within 2-3hrs. 4% APR seems super high. In any case, I have to let this go and move on.

Will update thread if anything new happens.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 07:30 PM   #138
jetblk328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Thanks this is good to know.. Looks like I am waiting for September or even look at out of state dealers. My prior BMW process was so simple where both of us were happy with the offer on the table and went onto seal it within 2-3hrs. 4% APR seems super high. In any case, I have to let this go and move on.

Will update thread if anything new happens.
Sounds like you've got some pretty rough dealers. My dealer tried the 3.99% trick on me but after I sent him a screenshot of the 2.99%, they backed down. Also told him there was no deal to be had unless I had the lowest rate at 2.99%.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 08:00 PM   #139
iDrive_on_wheels
Rep
Drives: 20XG

You as a buyer should almost never regret walking away from a deal when purchasing a commodity product. And the only reason I include 'almost' in the sentence is for special cases when timing is a much bigger factor than price. I know it is frustrating not to finish a deal after investing the time. But a better deal will always be around the corner.

A few weeks ago on a 2020 model I got 10% off MSRP and the dealer writing into the deal the $750 Conquest credit for a September delivery, even if BMW does not offer that. Plus if BMW offers ARP financing credits I will get that too on the top of 10%+$750 (I always buy cash, never lease, and only do financing for rebate purposes).

Based on what I have seen in this forum and my own experience the key to get deals like this is to get the dealers to compete against each other and by presenting them with credible facts and information that would help drive that competition.

Of course as many others have said location plays a big role. I think timing (end of the model year, end of the month, etc.) still very important but play a lesser role. Look for high-volume dealers near you and be prepared to go to longer distances until you find them. Start with the dealers who are now or in the past several years have been awarded the Center of Excellence status by BMW. Here is the 2019 list:

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/a...language=en_US

Web searches will get you other recent years.

Take screen shots from posts here by people in your area or nearby that have gotten high discounts and send them to the dealers. Just the fact that you read this forum (and you may read others like bimmerfest) and know about the COE awards, etc. would make the dealers understand (hopefully) that you are not going to go for their typical tactics.

Call the dealers first instead of just walking in there. Ask for a high-volume CA. Immediately followup with a well written detailed email on the build and the deal you want. Start by 12%+ incentives but ask them to bid the best they can. Good CAs won't ask you to come in. One even looked me up on LinkedIn.

The key is to convince them that you are a very serious buyer, have done your homework and will move quickly to execute the best deal you can get. Disclose to them other COE dealerships you are talking to.

A lot of what I say apply more to factory custom orders than buying stock (and note 80% of the Spartanburg factory production is custom orders). For COE (and COE want-to-be) dealers getting 2020 custom orders is almost as desired as selling their 2019 stock. The financing/leasing incentives is the big difference. Of course any dealer would try to sell their stock first (end of the model year or anytime during the year) but the difference in discounts with factory orders is not as much as it used to be when factory ordering was a small percentage of total business. A big exception of course is on new design or major tech changes, etc. which is not the case here as MY19 and MY20 are identical (or very close to that).

And again, on commodity products no buying no regret. There is always a better deal waiting IF you can wait.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 08:39 PM   #140
poppop
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i TBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDrive_on_wheels View Post
You as a buyer should almost never regret walking away from a deal when purchasing a commodity product. And the only reason I include 'almost' in the sentence is for special cases when timing is a much bigger factor than price. I know it is frustrating not to finish a deal after investing the time. But a better deal will always be around the corner.

A few weeks ago on a 2020 model I got 10% off MSRP and the dealer writing into the deal the $750 Conquest credit for a September delivery, even if BMW does not offer that. Plus if BMW offers ARP financing credits I will get that too on the top of 10%+$750 (I always buy cash, never lease, and only do financing for rebate purposes).

Based on what I have seen in this forum and my own experience the key to get deals like this is to get the dealers to compete against each other and by presenting them with credible facts and information that would help drive that competition.

Of course as many others have said location plays a big role. I think timing (end of the model year, end of the month, etc.) still very important but play a lesser role. Look for high-volume dealers near you and be prepared to go to longer distances until you find them. Start with the dealers who are now or in the past several years have been awarded the Center of Excellence status by BMW. Here is the 2019 list:

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/a...language=en_US

Web searches will get you other recent years.

Take screen shots from posts here by people in your area or nearby that have gotten high discounts and send them to the dealers. Just the fact that you read this forum (and you may read others like bimmerfest) and know about the COE awards, etc. would make the dealers understand (hopefully) that you are not going to go for their typical tactics.

Call the dealers first instead of just walking in there. Ask for a high-volume CA. Immediately followup with a well written detailed email on the build and the deal you want. Start by 12%+ incentives but ask them to bid the best they can. Good CAs won't ask you to come in. One even looked me up on LinkedIn.

The key is to convince them that you are a very serious buyer, have done your homework and will move quickly to execute the best deal you can get. Disclose to them other COE dealerships you are talking to.

A lot of what I say apply more to factory custom orders than buying stock (and note 80% of the Spartanburg factory production is custom orders). For COE (and COE want-to-be) dealers getting 2020 custom orders is almost as desired as selling their 2019 stock. The financing/leasing incentives is the big difference. Of course any dealer would try to sell their stock first (end of the model year or anytime during the year) but the difference in discounts with factory orders is not as much as it used to be when factory ordering was a small percentage of total business. A big exception of course is on new design or major tech changes, etc. which is not the case here as MY19 and MY20 are identical (or very close to that).

And again, on commodity products no buying no regret. There is always a better deal waiting IF you can wait.
Your advice is right on and follows my strategy exactly. I am targeting five dealers in the Tampa Fl area and intend to email them my deal with the caveat that the dealer that meets my deal or comes in with an even better deal wins. I have done this before many times and average better than 10% off MSRP. I am very patient and will wait out the dealers attempts to undermine my deal. One of them will come around depending on internal rebates or end of month incentives. Patience is the key to success.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 09:03 PM   #141
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:

Dealer 1: Agreed to 6% off MSRP, BUT conveniently raised the finance rate from 2.99% to 3.99% (Credit check hasn't been done. Pretty sure I qualify for 2.99% easily.. as earlier BMW was at 0.9%). The manufacturer offer is 2.99% and he said they can add 100 basis points to make up for the discount they gave me. I didn't like this AT all. Luckily all of this is happening over the phone. Still a NO deal.

Dealer 2: Probably the MOST arrogant person I have come across. I texted him Dealer 1's offer (6% off MSRP) with image. His words on the text not mine "I'm worth more, that's an insult to me" . Weird part is that my X3 was bought through Dealer 2, but with a different CA (who is unavailable for sometime).

Ouch, sorry about your experience. When I was doing my search I reached out to quite a few different dealers and some of them I swear would prefer to just not sell a car. Absolutely no reason for them to be rude if they truly can't match a price.

Looks like you'll have to go a bit further, but I would just start through email. As the poster above states, it's about patience and getting dealers to compete for your business. Some dealers will drop out, but eventually you'll get a couple that are willing to play ball and that's how you get the big discounts.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 09:58 AM   #142
Ashes1984
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Ouch, sorry about your experience. When I was doing my search I reached out to quite a few different dealers and some of them I swear would prefer to just not sell a car. Absolutely no reason for them to be rude if they truly can't match a price.

Looks like you'll have to go a bit further, but I would just start through email. As the poster above states, it's about patience and getting dealers to compete for your business. Some dealers will drop out, but eventually you'll get a couple that are willing to play ball and that's how you get the big discounts.
Quote:
Quote:

Well another update:

I am taking this deal : 6% off msrp with 3.99% APR. Going out of state to find dealers and then have them ship it out etc etc, I'm not sure how much I can squeeze out more. With the finance thing, I can work it out so I don't end up paying more interest than what I initially thought. I kept a buffer on how much I can afford and went to the extreme low end of that. The process is exhausting and frankly speaking, I'm tired since all three dealers in my area + Portland ones are not offering any higher than 6% off msrp... I would have liked 2.99%, but I'll take this and work it out! Thank you everyone for helping me out! Will post a picture of the beauty later when I complete the deal.

EDIT: taking the 48 month option. Thought process is to pay more than minimum in the first year itself to reduce interest. Lets see

Last edited by Ashes1984; 09-02-2019 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 10:04 AM   #143
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Well another update:

I am taking this deal : 6% off msrp with 3.99% APR. Going out of state to find dealers and then have them ship it out etc etc, I'm not sure how much I can squeeze out more. With the finance thing, I can work it out so I don't end up paying more interest than what I initially thought. I kept a buffer on how much I can afford and went to the extreme low end of that. The process is exhausting and frankly speaking, I'm tired since all three dealers in my area + Portland ones are not offering any higher than 6% off msrp... I would have liked 2.99%, but I'll take this and work it out! Thank you everyone for helping me out! Will post a picture of the beauty later when I complete the deal.
Could you get a better financing rate going to a bank or credit union? 4% on a new car seems high.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 10:16 AM   #144
Ashes1984
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Well another update:

Could you get a better financing rate going to a bank or credit union? 4% on a new car seems high.
[/QUOTE]

Yes I had a 2.84 from BofA. But then I don't get to take the 2k APR credit rebate.. essentially negating the lower interest rate in the long term.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 01:18 PM   #145
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:

Yes I had a 2.84 from BofA. But then I don't get to take the 2k APR credit rebate.. essentially negating the lower interest rate in the long term.
Check to make sure you can get the 2.84 if the car is a few months old and then use it to pay off the BMW loan. This way you get the incentive and the lower interest.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 01:20 PM   #146
Ashes1984
Rep

Quote:
Check to make sure you can get the 2.84 if the car is a few months old and then use it to pay off the BMW loan. This way you get the incentive and the lower interest.
The goal is to do something like that. Fed might lower interest rates soon. Refi then
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 02:40 PM   #147
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The goal is to do something like that. Fed might lower interest rates soon. Refi then
So you're getting a 2k APR rebate on a 2020? Didn't think rebates were available yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 11:14 PM   #148
Ashes1984
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
So you're getting a 2k APR rebate on a 2020? Didn't think rebates were available yet.
2019 Model. Rebates are not valid fo 2020 as of now
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #149
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X6 M50i

Anyone know what’s a reasonable discount on M50i?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 11:52 AM   #150
SouvikB
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 (planning to order)

Quote:
Is there a way of finding out how much BMW actually offered before the dealer marked it up? I know you can apply online, but I am not sure if BMW actually sends the information back to the applicant or directly to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 12:54 PM   #151
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouvikB View Post
Is there a way of finding out how much BMW actually offered before the dealer marked it up? I know you can apply online, but I am not sure if BMW actually sends the information back to the applicant or directly to the dealer.
Yes, check the Edmunds lease forum for the specific year and model. They will be able to tell you the base MF as well as any available incentives for your area.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 01:56 PM   #152
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:

Dealer #2 sounds like my dealer #3 that said something similar about a demo 2019 that they had on the lot. I'm not sure what's wrong with the Seattle area dealers lately. I've purchased 4 cars from our primary dealer but they're only willing to do 6% with full markup on the MF.

We've extended the lease on our current X5 in hopes for better incentives but the wife is already looking at other brands that seem more eager for our business.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 01:56 PM   #153
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJJ View Post
Anyone know what’s a reasonable discount on M50i?
There's a thread on this for 2020s with a lot of M50i info. Depending on region, ppl have been getting b/w 5% to over 10% before incentives.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 04:17 PM   #154
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Anyone get a deal on a leftover 19 that they want to share as a data point ?
Appreciate 0