BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-13-2020, 03:07 AM   #89
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

My wife disliked them with a passion - and I'm very glad she agreed with me!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 08:32 PM   #90
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
So how easy is the crystal to scratch or crack? I am somewhat clumsy and would be worried about banging it with my purse when I get in, or my water cup (it's TX, too hot and ice water is necessary 7+ months of the year). I do think they look nice, but wouldn't be upset not to have them.
It's actual crystal, so you'd have to have a metal that is harder than the glass, and a sharp edge at that. I'd guess that diamonds are likely the biggest worry, but rings would generally be away from the glass.
I thought one of the reviews I saw said they were not crystal, just plain glass. Don't recall who did that particular review, but wanted to point out in case that matters to anyone, may want to confirm.
This review indicates that it is Swarovski crystal:

"Those who have a penchant for the finer things in life can adorn their brand new X5 with a bunch of glass parts for the interior. Elementary, it's not ordinary glass we're talking about but Swarovski crystals, a material that can engulf the gear shifter, the start button, and even the iDrive controller dial."

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/n...15-129833.html
      01-13-2020, 09:24 PM   #91
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Below is how BMW describes the Glass Controls.

Sheer sophistication in the cockpit is at your fingertips with the hand-made, diamond-cut glass trim elements of the transmission selector lever with illuminated "X", volume control for the audio system, Start/Stop button and iDrive Controller.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 09:17 AM   #92
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I was indifferent, but wife thought it looked cool, but she couldn't care less either way - so I opted for the glass. After seeing it in person, especially at night, very happy we did. It really transforms the look of the center console, which is a huge eye catcher because of it's size.
Appreciate 2
perikifi165.50
      01-14-2020, 10:23 AM   #93
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Definitely felt the glass controls made the interior much more luxurious, especially with the anthracite brown poplar matte wood trim. I think the glass controls with the glossy wood trims may be too much, but with the matte I felt it looked great.
      01-14-2020, 12:04 PM   #94
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

I have Crystal and Fineline stripe high gloss. Happy with my choice.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-14-2020, 12:13 PM   #95
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Anthracite-Brown Matte Wood .... looks amazing in my opinion.
Attached Images

Last edited by VTENGR; 01-14-2020 at 12:19 PM..
Appreciate 4
X5 45e1077.00
Luminor5131243.00
Stoshu491.00
      01-14-2020, 01:11 PM   #96
Wxnatscaps
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i Arctic Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
I have Crystal and Fineline stripe high gloss. Happy with my choice.
Thank you for the picture....this is my trim with the Glass Controls. Looks fantastic. Excited to get the car.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      01-14-2020, 05:00 PM   #97
TXPearl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

I leased my M50i of the lot (not ordered) and it has the very shiny/glossy piano black trim and glass controls. I wouldn't have ordered either option, but since this vehicle came will all my other mandatory options (long list, incl. DHP), I went with it.

I generally prefer a more natural/matte looking interior trim, and as I suspected, my new car is a fingerprint nightmare. Honestly, to me, the glass shifter looks like something a jewelry'd up grandma would prefer. But after a few months, I'm sorta used to it.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 01:44 PM   #98
mpiscitello
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
This is my exact combo as well - I think it's awesome!
Tangential question for you (or others with glass controls), my dealer scratched the idrive controller and I've had it replaced twice now since as the new controllers make a mechanical clicking noise when pressing the buttons, versus the "soft" more refined feel of the buttons along the left side. My original controller buttons felt much more like the buttons on the left side, but it appears I there may be some variability in the production of these parts...?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 01:47 PM   #99
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpiscitello View Post
Tangential question for you (or others with glass controls), my dealer scratched the idrive controller and I've had it replaced twice now since as the new controllers make a mechanical clicking noise when pressing the buttons, versus the "soft" more refined feel of the buttons along the left side. My original controller buttons felt much more like the buttons on the left side, but it appears I there may be some variability in the production of these parts...?
There is no clicking noise when I press the buttons. Sometimes i'm not even sure I've pushed them hard enough. So I end up pushing the buttons several times.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 06:15 PM   #100
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
There is no clicking noise when I press the buttons. Sometimes i'm not even sure I've pushed them hard enough. So I end up pushing the buttons several times.
Do you mean the buttons located on the left side of the shift knob on the piano black panel?
My buttons give a mechanical like feedback to the finger like the iPhone old home button, so you know you have pushed the button
      01-15-2020, 06:17 PM   #101
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Do you mean the buttons located on the left side of the great knob on the piano black panel?
My buttons give a mechanical like feedback to the finger like the iPhone old home button, so you know you have pushed the button
I was talking about the ones around the idrive controller. I'll see about the other ones when I get back in the car
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 07:47 PM   #102
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Do you mean the buttons located on the left side of the shift knob on the piano black panel?
All my buttons behave like you describe. No mechanical clicking but with the iPhone home button type response.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 08:28 AM   #103
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin-T View Post
The crystal iDrive knob is now available as an aftermarket accessory, claiming to have the same quality as BMW OEM parts. See:

https://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Multi...9147786&sr=8-1
Yeah but you'll be missing the gear selector and volume knob. Gear selector being the most important component, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 08:32 AM   #104
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah but you'll be missing the gear selector and volume knob. Gear selector being the most important component, IMO.
+1
      01-16-2020, 08:38 AM   #105
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
It's not a variation in production it's an automatic calibration that happens after coding. If you make a change to the head unit ECU with something like Bimmercode, you'll notice the buttons are super sensitive and almost chatter / trigger by just hovering over the buttons. The first 15-20 button presses set the haptic feedback strength. The harder you push the harder they are to trigger once they calibrate.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 09:56 AM   #106
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
I find the iDrive knob the coolest looking in the glass controls. The beveled edge gives it a very expensive quality look and feel. It will look odd all by itself. À la cart all these parts are going to be expensive.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 10:06 AM   #107
mpiscitello
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkleyman View Post
It's not a variation in production it's an automatic calibration that happens after coding. If you make a change to the head unit ECU with something like Bimmercode, you'll notice the buttons are super sensitive and almost chatter / trigger by just hovering over the buttons. The first 15-20 button presses set the haptic feedback strength. The harder you push the harder they are to trigger once they calibrate.
The dealer updated the software at the same time of the replacement. Would that affect the calibration? Is the calibration different for the buttons around the iDrive controller versus the buttons along the left side? It's driving me nuts because the buttons along the left side feel "quality" and the iDrive buttons seems to be more abrasive and clunky now. First world problem....
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 01:36 PM   #108
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkleyman View Post
The dealer updated the software at the same time of the replacement. Would that affect the calibration? Is the calibration different for the buttons around the iDrive controller versus the buttons along the left side? It's driving me nuts because the buttons along the left side feel "quality" and the iDrive buttons seems to be more abrasive and clunky now. First world problem....
When I had my software updated I didn't seem to notice any change, but when I coded video in motion and startup logo for the head unit itself, it definitely reset the calibration.

I only noticed that reset happen for the iDrive controller, not any of the drive mode functions on the left. I believe those may communicate directly with another ECU. If you have Bimmercode and an OBDII adapter, you could change something simple and change it back to give yourself another shot at calibration? If you don't have coding experience I wouldn't recommend guessing however.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 09:23 AM   #109
perikifi
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e M Sport

Quote:
All my buttons behave like you describe. No mechanical clicking but with the iPhone home button type response.
And, unfortunately, don't work using leather gloves.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 09:25 AM   #110
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by perikifi View Post
And, unfortunately, don't work using leather gloves.
you need to get a pair with conductive thread on the tips - the kind they sell for smart phone users - that should solve the problem. You can actually buy this thread on amazon and just DIY it for yourself if you really love your gloves.
Appreciate 0