BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-06-2019, 12:48 PM   #1
ddelX52019G05
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 X5 40i, Audi A7 2017

Resolved! Digital Key subscription renewal (Samsung Android only)

My X5 is a November '18 build and the one-year complimentary subscription (ridiculous) for a phone based digital key reached its end late last month. An $82K car with a subscription for Android phone-based keys, yep! It took (hours over a few months) to get the thing to work and finally in March of 2019 I was able to get it working!

And yeah, it’s convenient to have a phone key as carrying it is easier than the bulky key fob, I was wondering how rationalize paying to renew but was pleasantly surprised to see BMW only wanted another $20 a year, okay so they got me, I’ll bite, jeez over the next three years they’ll ding for another $60 bucks…, the greedy bas$#*&%!

After going through the online renewal which seemed easy enough, I could pay just a little more to justify the hours of aggravation I’d spent in phone calls, trips to dealer, dealing with geniuses (who didn’t know much) to finally to get this feature work, I could keep it and have another year of convenience! Huh, victory!

Well not so fast..so I updated the services in iDrive, I could the see expiring key, but yep there was my shiny new digital key for 2020! Only problem was the connected Drive app on my phone...it still said the key was expiring Nov 15, 2019, so maybe give it day to sync, nope, no luck. Uninstalled/reinstalled the app only to be replaced by a message saying key usage was not possible and I should “factory reset” my phone to get the key to work. Factory resetting the phone every year seems like an odd way to issue a new key. What if I spend hours resetting and rebuilding my phone only to get the same error?

Called Connected Drive customer service, they didn’t know how to help and transferred me around to various agents finally suggesting I take it to the dealer service department. Not many customers use it, so I knew I’d be wasting there’s and my time. Nah I called back a few days later this time the Connected Drive team suggested I talk to a genius, the genius noted my ESA was not tied to my profile and would need to issue a ticket to get the back-end team to fix it, it would be a week or two, but they would get this fixed, finally progress, okay sure.

Yep three weeks later still not fixed, they got my $20 and I’m racking up minutes on calls to get the service to work again. Another 35 minutes on calls to Connected Drive supervisor yesterday and another ticket to “ass back-end” services team to fix the stupid key. Yes they are going to refund my $20, but don't want to screw up the process until they get it working. They going to need a couple more weeks to work on this..but will call me..sure bet they will.

Do we need to say the subscription models for services is huge mistake! Wasting my time, theirs and burning customer satisfaction, breaking things that finally worked. They got the taking the money part figured out but delivering the services, not so much.

Hope to share the tips and tricks if you use this service soon, not sure if digital key renewal actually means issuance of a new key or they just haven’t gotten around to getting this renewal process up and running. In the meantime the customers and BMW brand satisfaction is taking it in the “back-end”!

Last edited by ddelX52019G05; 02-19-2020 at 09:08 AM..
Appreciate 1
TSMC55125.00
      12-06-2019, 03:44 PM   #2
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
don't factory reset your phone just open the app and clear app data lol

as for it not working have them add a new digital key for you and it should be fine. this is done through their system
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 09:12 AM   #3
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

Based on my experience and that of numerous others who have reported on this forum, I do not think relying on Connected Drive to access your X5 is a reasonable approach - it's simply too unreliable.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 09:27 AM   #4
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWPK View Post
Based on my experience and that of numerous others who have reported on this forum, I do not think relying on Connected Drive to access your X5 is a reasonable approach - it's simply too unreliable.
Amen! I have no faith in my phone being a key. Given the issues with CD, I will stick to the FOB for now. I wish I understood the technology, but hope there's some type of failsafe to allow me entry and mobility. My luck I would get somewhere an hour away on a sunny day...but try to get back home and get stuck in a downpour, cursing our my phone and BMW for being unable to get back in!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 09:52 AM   #5
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWPK View Post
Not going to argue with unreliability of ConnectedCrap and lots of other BMW software, but digital key **in operation** is "just" NFC and doesn't require connectivity to work. The setup seems to require connectivity, but use does not.
      12-07-2019, 09:58 AM   #6
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Not going to argue with unreliability of ConnectedCrap and lots of other BMW software, but digital key **in operation** is "just" NFC and doesn't require connectivity to work. The setup seems to require connectivity, but use does not.
I was reading about the updated standards, which I believe Apple was part of with BMW in establishing. My understanding was the move to UWB will allow for more devices to be used. I know NFC is used now and can be used even with a dead device (similar to the key card). I wish I could find a good phone case to slide the card in, which is the exact same thing. I have the Apple Silicone Case, and tried to put the key card between the phone and the case, which didn't work for unlocking and locking.

https://carconnectivity.org/digital-key/
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 12:52 PM   #7
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

The keycard is the only option that makes sense to me. It works the way the fob works. Its thin light and can get wet. I use a kangaroo pouch on the back of my phone for my id,cc,etc... I put the keycard in there and it acts like my phone is unlocking the doors anyway.

Appreciate 2
wrickem2101.00
Tenac4504.50
      12-07-2019, 01:48 PM   #8
ddelX52019G05
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post

as for it not working have them add a new digital key for you and it should be fine. this is done through their system
Yeah actually did "clear data and clear cache"; have also uninstalled and reinstalled the the app too, seems the app does not recognize that a new key has been purchased/authorized/renewed or perhaps the old digital key got stranded on the NFC chip as I removed it from iDrive in the car before removing it from the phone, not sure.

Charging $20 bucks annually for the privilege of having the convenience of using my phone is kinda an insult after paying $82K for the car..lots of aggravation little reward.

I can always use the key card but that's in my wallet, don't always carry my wallet when I'm hanging around my house and just want to move the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 04:08 PM   #9
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddelX52019G05 View Post
Quote:

Yeah actually did "clear data and clear cache"; have also uninstalled and reinstalled the the app too, seems the app does not recognize that a new key has been purchased/authorized/renewed or perhaps the old digital key got stranded on the NFC chip as I removed it from iDrive in the car before removing it from the phone, not sure.

Charging $20 bucks annually for the privilege of having the convenience of using my phone is kinda an insult after paying $82K for the car..lots of aggravation little reward.

I can always use the key card but that's in my wallet, don't always carry my wallet when I'm hanging around my house and just want to move the car.
it's okay, I was at the dealership yesterday and no amount of reissuing and messing with it would get mine working again. the dealer opened a PUMA (or whatever they call) case with BMW about it
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 06:19 PM   #10
ddelX52019G05
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
it's okay, I was at the dealership yesterday and no amount of reissuing and messing with it would get mine working again. the dealer opened a PUMA (or whatever they call) case with BMW about it
Nice, glad I'm not alone in this battle of working out the bugs in the beta build of using your phone as the key. It worked great before I needed to renew it...keep us posted on the case and resolution, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 10:26 PM   #11
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Nice, glad I'm not alone in this battle of working out the bugs in the beta build of using your phone as the key. It worked great before I needed to renew it...keep us posted on the case and resolution, thanks!
mine worked great before switching phones, ever since then (despite removing it from my old phone, S10+, it doesn't work). If I heard back from BMW I'll let you know
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 12:55 AM   #12
RMAS99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5 50d

Having similar issue after changing mobile phone. Never worked again. Always the same answer from all: "you should delete the key on the old phone before master resetting it"
I didn't, so since 2 months of talks with bmw help number and visits to the dealers still doesn't work. Already clear data, uninstall app , reset function on the car etc. No work
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 09:55 AM   #13
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Ahhh...didn't realize that, once setup, access was via direct communication between one's phone and the vehicle, not dependent on CD.

On the subject of electronic access, yesterday after returning to where my '13 128i was parked, the door would not unlock via comfort access when I took hold of the door handle. Tried a few times, then took the fob out of my pocket and it opened when I pressed the unlock button. Upon starting the car, the infamous car-on-a-lift graphic was displayed in the display cluster - hmmm...now what? Drove home, exited, locked the car via comfort access, then successfully unlocked with comfort access, re-started the car and no problem display.

I guess the vehicle was temporarily 'confused', but it does illustrate there are many things that can go wrong in modern vehicles with something as basic as unlocking them - and I use the term modern loosely - as a 2013, my 128i is archaic in its simplicity compared to our G05's.

Whether access via phone, fob or key card, there is a lot between you and the door locks, and starter motor for that matter. Of course the G05 does have the back up ability to physically unlock the door using the key stored within the fob, but of course you need the fob for that and you need to recall how to access the hidden lock in the door handle. How many have reviewed those instructions in the owner's manual? I did when I first bought the vehicle, but don't claim to remember how to do it (no problem, of course, you can easily access the instructions in the manual on iDrive - oh wait - I think I see a problem with that plan).
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 10:57 AM   #14
perikifi
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAS99 View Post
Having similar issue after changing mobile phone. Never worked again. Always the same answer from all: "you should delete the key on the old phone before master resetting it"
Ad they did not come to think that you can lose a phone, have it stolen, drop and break a phone, experience malfunction beyond repair? Great, sounds like I am not using this feature.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 07:12 PM   #15
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by perikifi View Post
Quote:
Ad they did not come to think that you can lose a phone, have it stolen, drop and break a phone, experience malfunction beyond repair? Great, sounds like I am not using this feature.
Yes, they seem to have a software issue I'll let you guys know what the outcome of my PUMA case is the dealer started
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 05:20 PM   #16
ddelX52019G05
Private
United_States
Rep

No Digital Key Usage possible

Quote:
I didn't, so since 2 months of talks with bmw help number and visits to the dealers still doesn't work. Already clear data, uninstall app , reset function on the car etc. No work
Agreed, I've followed the advice of the App and Factory Data reset my phone this past weekend, no luck! I've been working with my local service manager, BMW US support and they are now working with technicians in Germany to allow me to reinstall my new 2020 digital key on the same phone as my 2019 key.

Evidently I failed to follow the correct procedure for maintaining control of the 2019 key. When either moving to a new digital key subscription (2019 to 2020) or transferring the phone based digital key between devices or even going through a Factory Data Reset on your same phone, best practice is to:
  1. First remove the Digital Key from within the ConnectedDrive phone based app (they really ought to make this procedure clear in both the App and iDrive)
  2. Then remove the keys emergency access from within the iDrive interface from within the car

Otherwise as I have unfortunately found is that removing it from within the car iDrive interface first seems to lock out that phone from being eligible to accept the new 2020 digital key and I get the dreaded"No Digital Key Usage possible" message within the app.

I've been able to install my new 2020 key on a new phone (not my phone - borrowed one for proof of concept purposes.) I returned the digital key on the borrowed phone hoping that it would trigger a properly returned key sequence; but no luck.

So it seems the BMW Digital key server marks iDrive removed phone keys as ineligible devices for a new key installations, even persisting after Factory Data resets, what a pain!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 05:46 PM   #17
deadlion
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 40i MSport (PCD)

Quote:
So it seems the BMW Digital key server marks iDrive removed phone keys as ineligible devices for a new key installations, even persisting after Factory Data resets, what a pain!
I'm dealing with the same issue. My previous phone died so I could not delete the Digital Key before activating my new phone. I'm at the end on the first free key year and facing the $20 renewal. However, if I can't get it working on the new phone in the remaining weeks of year one I won't be able to renew either way.
1990 BMW 735i
1984 BMW 533i (missing it)
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 12:01 AM   #18
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

Didn't BMW learn anything from their Apple carplay fiasco? Company's insatiable greed never ends. There is absolutely no reason to charge a annual subscription for the digital key feature. This is nothing but a insult to it's customers paying for a high end luxury vehicle. Amazing what is will put it's clients through just to nickel & dime $20 a year out of them.

Last edited by mrjoed2; 01-29-2020 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 08:40 AM   #19
deadlion
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 40i MSport (PCD)

Has anyone experienced successful resolution to this issue (new phone but keys not deleted in old phone, now device ineligible)?
1990 BMW 735i
1984 BMW 533i (missing it)
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 02:58 PM   #20
ddelX52019G05
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlion View Post
Has anyone experienced successful resolution to this issue (new phone but keys not deleted in old phone, now device ineligible)?
You should be okay if you're renewing the service as you'll get a new 2020/21 key and you are switching to a new phone. (Even though you failed to remove the old "expiring" key from your old phone.) You may need to remove the old key from the iDrive (in car) or worst case reset the the digital key function in the iDrive and then have a service advisor "re-register" you in the service advisors access area known as the Digital Cockpit.

I was able to prove that concept works because, I was able to install my new 2020 digital key and activate it on another Samsung 10 phone that I had borrowed from my local dealer. After proving it worked I carefully uninstalled the key from the borrowed phone and then removed it from the iDrive system.

The problem I'm having is slightly different as the 2019 key was never uninstalled from my S10+, it was removed from the iDrive first which appears to have stranded a digital key artifact in the NFC system of the phone even after doing a factory reset. So now when I try and install the 2020 key to the same phone that held the 2019 key it's being blocked.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 04:28 PM   #21
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 GO5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlion View Post
You should be okay if you're renewing the service as you'll get a new 2020/21 key and you are switching to a new phone. (Even though you failed to remove the old "expiring" key from your old phone.) You may need to remove the old key from the iDrive (in car) or worst case reset the the digital key function in the iDrive and then have a service advisor "re-register" you in the service advisors access area known as the Digital Cockpit.

I was able to prove that concept works because, I was able to install my new 2020 digital key and activate it on another Samsung 10 phone that I had borrowed from my local dealer. After proving it worked I carefully uninstalled the key from the borrowed phone and then removed it from the iDrive system.

The problem I'm having is slightly different as the 2019 key was never uninstalled from my S10+, it was removed from the iDrive first which appears to have stranded a digital key artifact in the NFC system of the phone even after doing a factory reset. So now when I try and install the 2020 key to the same phone that held the 2019 key it's being blocked.
I had something very similar. What worked for me was to install the connected app on the old phone and then try to reinstall the digital key on it. At the same time, I did the same thibg on a different phone. It then allowed me to remove the digital key from the old phone. I cant remember the exact details but it was something like this. I did it about 6 months ago.

Good luck. It is frustrating. You would think BMW would be able to invalidate the old key, because if you lost or destroyed your phone, there would be no way to do the above.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 09:03 AM   #22
ddelX52019G05
Private
United_States
Rep

Digital Key subscription renewal resolved! (Samsung Android only)

After almost three months of phone calls, emails, photos and visits to my local dealership to sit with the Service Manager uninstalling/reinstalling, testing, and trying other steps with the Digital Key; the issue was finally resolved in a twenty minute phone call between the ConnectedDrive team in NJ and BMW team members in Munich running a script over the air to clean up my phone.

Today I was finally able to reinstall a digital key that I paid $20 for back in November. On the same Samsung S10+ that held my 2019 key.

BMW will be making changes to ConnectedDrive app in in a future build that should help users avoid the mess that I've been dealing with for the past 90 days and not require an uninstall when renewing the digital key!

Hopefully they won't introduce any new bugs and it will resolve the similar issue(s) that other users have described here!
Appreciate 0