BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-17-2020, 02:10 AM   #1
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

To get Air Suspension with M packaged 40i or not?

We are about to order my wife's 2020 X5 x40i through military sales in Germany. We are going with the M package with 22inch rim's and are debating whether to add air suspension and possibly interactive steering. The German dealer has very limited stock to test drive, do we only have a 21 inch M packaged 40i to compare. I am tracking that the air suspension would replace the M suspension modes, but it is a cheap option.

The X5 will be our road trip car and predominantly be driven by wife, who skews toward comfort over ultimate sportiness. The choice here is obviously rather subjective, but has anyone completed an extensive comparison? Ordered one way and were very happy? Or had regrets?

Thanks.
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 07:58 AM   #2
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

I had the same thoughts and ultimately chose the 2 axle air suspension after test driving one at my local dealer that had the air suspension. In sport mode, the car lowers, and tightens up the suspension and it's more than enough "sport" for an SUV. In comfort mode, it's plush and compliant, but not overly floaty (not like a 1970's Cadillac) just more compliant than in sport. I think you will be very happy with the 2 axle air suspension. Unfortunately I have not had any time with the m-adaptive Suspension which comes standard on msport package but there are plenty of members here that do that have suspension.
      01-17-2020, 12:20 PM   #3
perikifi
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e M Sport

The air suspension is a bit floaty but it is very very comfortable. Bad roads, speed bumps, potholes and so on are very smooth. If skewing toward comfort, I would recommend them. Full disclosure: I have a 45e with air as standard so I didn't fully test all other options.
Appreciate 1
mcsa65.00
      01-18-2020, 04:18 AM   #4
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

I found the M sport plenty comfortable. Last thing I'd want is a floaty ride...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 06:47 AM   #5
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteome View Post
We are about to order my wife's 2020 X5 x40i through military sales in Germany. We are going with the M package with 22inch rim's and are debating whether to add air suspension and possibly interactive steering. The German dealer has very limited stock to test drive, do we only have a 21 inch M packaged 40i to compare. I am tracking that the air suspension would replace the M suspension modes, but it is a cheap option.

The X5 will be our road trip car and predominantly be driven by wife, who skews toward comfort over ultimate sportiness. The choice here is obviously rather subjective, but has anyone completed an extensive comparison? Ordered one way and were very happy? Or had regrets?

Thanks.
I've extensively driven X5s and X7s with all engine options in combinations of all of suspension options over the past year. The test drives ranged from 5 days to up to month on some vehicles.

My recommendation is to option 2VR air suspension. It's not floaty at all and you can dial in a slightly firmer ride while maintaining comfort in Sport level. I took delivery of my xDrive40i M Sport optioned with air suspension and integral active steering at BMW PDC and had one of the best 500+ mile test drive home. I'm susceptible to motion and float sensations but no regrets so far at 1531 miles riding on air.

Depending on how you or your wife personally drive the vehicle and the road conditions here are my thoughts on suspension options from reducing roll angle to ride comfort:

Best handling in regards to significant reduction in roll angle:
1. Dynamic Handling Package (only available on M50i in USA) - includes E Active Roll Stabilization, M rear differential, Adaptive M Professional
2. Adaptive M Suspension
3. Air Suspension in Sport level

Firm, sporty ride
1. Dynamic Handling Package
2. Adaptive M Suspension
3. Air Suspension in Sport level

Daily comfortable ride to long distance cruising
1. Air Suspension in Normal level
2. Air Suspension in Sport level
3. Tied - Adaptive M or DHP

Adjustable ride height and cargo loading flexibility
1. Air Suspension

Wife's daily driver with 22"
1. Air suspension in Normal or Sport level
2. Adaptive M

Note all of the following suspension options include Electronic Damper Controls - Sport+, Sport, Comfort, Adaptive and Individual.

My daily 32mile commute includes local roads, congested highways, and scenic curvy back roads. Majority of the commute I'll dial in Adaptive EDC, air suspension set to Sport level and destination set. With that the EDC utilizes navigational data to automatically adjust suspension dampening and your driving style. There's a thread in the main forum that covers this:

Adaptive mode the most confortable https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1685781

The primary purpose of air suspension is to maintain a constant vehicle position through self-leveling and ride-height control. The ground clearance can be adjusted using the rocker switch on the center console. And to make it easier to load the car, you can also select Loading Level using a button in the center console or luggage compartment. The byproduct of maintaining constant vehicle position is ride comfort.

TLDR; hope this helps on a $150 option!

Oddly entertaining video review that was posted in the main forums but skip to time stamp 11:12

Appreciate 6
      01-18-2020, 09:23 AM   #6
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
You answered the question with "skews toward comfort over ultimate sportiness." I have the air suspension on both of our 40is and don't find it "floaty" in the least, except for the overall immutable physics of a 70" high, two-and-a half ton SUV being "floaty"(er) than an Audi R8. If you want non-floaty in a vehicle, get a Formula 1.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2020, 05:43 AM   #7
araje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Audi

Thanks Auricom. Your post was very helpful. I do have some questions. The below two options is what I would be doing mostly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post

1. Air Suspension

Note all of the following suspension options include Electronic Damper Controls - Sport+, Sport, Comfort, Adaptive and Individual.
I will be opting for Air suspension but still making a decision on XDrive40i MSport or Xline variant.
Do you know if the "adaptive" EDC controls is only available in MSport variant? Is this what Adaptive M suspension is or is there something more in Adaptive M suspension.

If this adaptive EDC mode is available in xLine variant, I would prefer that.

Please let me know. Thanks a ton.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 06:09 AM   #8
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by araje View Post
Thanks Auricom. Your post was very helpful. I do have some questions. The below two options is what I would be doing mostly.
Quote:

1. Air Suspension

I will be opting for Air suspension but still making a decision on XDrive40i MSport or Xline variant.
Do you know if the "adaptive" EDC controls is only available in MSport variant? Is this what Adaptive M suspension is or is there something more in Adaptive M suspension.

EDC controls, Comfort, Eco Pro, Sport and Adaptive, are standard across xLine and M Sport. When you option air suspension in any line, you'll definitely have EDC. Here's a quick chart, note that basic is not correct for USA.

Adaptive M suspension tunes EDC for a more sport ride compared to base suspension or air.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
mcsa65.00
UltraDave127.00
      01-21-2020, 06:17 AM   #9
araje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1. Air Suspension

EDC controls, Comfort, Eco Pro, Sport and Adaptive, are standard across xLine and M Sport. Adaptive M suspension tunes EDC for a more sport ride compared to base suspension or air.
Thanks. I am up all night researching. Now I can sleep
I was hoping to stay on Xline variant.
One last question - with the XLine which obviously doesn't have DHP, can you still configure any of the modes? Eg: configuring sport mode to keep its stiffer suspension but everything else as normal.

I feel, if I find the air suspension to be too bouncy/floaty on some road, I can shift to sport to just lower the vehicle by air suspension and tighten it but keep transmission the same.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 07:46 AM   #10
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1. Air Suspension

EDC controls, Comfort, Eco Pro, Sport and Adaptive, are standard across xLine and M Sport. Adaptive M suspension tunes EDC for a more sport ride compared to base suspension or air.
Thanks. I am up all night researching. Now I can sleep
I was hoping to stay on Xline variant.
One last question - with the XLine which obviously doesn't have DHP, can you still configure any of the modes? Eg: configuring sport mode to keep its stiffer suspension but everything else as normal.

I feel, if I find the air suspension to be too bouncy/floaty on some road, I can shift to sport to just lower the vehicle by air suspension and tighten it but keep transmission the same.
You can configure Eco Pro Individual and Sport Individual. See attached and I'll take a photo of the Sport customizations during next break.

You can either enable Sport driving mode or you can pull the air suspension rocker switch backward one from Normal level to Sport level.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-22-2020, 01:07 PM   #11
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the input! We added Air Suspension and Integral Active Steering to our 40i MSport build.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 04:16 PM   #12
araje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteome View Post
Thanks for the input! We added Air Suspension and Integral Active Steering to our 40i MSport build.
Did you happen to test drive IAS ? I have made up my mind on AirSuspension and using the Sport-Individual trick to firm it up with everything else dialed back to comfort but here in PHX, I was not able to test drive IAS feature. I am told it might feel a little weird at high speeds but that is because it does its job so well. I was also told, high speed lane changes with IAS help to reduce the roll as you kinda slide in rather than typical turning in.
However all words - I wish I could try to see if I need it. Whats your experience ?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 09:43 AM   #13
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

Quote:
Did you happen to test drive IAS ? I have made up my mind on AirSuspension and using the Sport-Individual trick to firm it up with everything else dialed back to comfort but here in PHX, I was not able to test drive IAS feature. I am told it might feel a little weird at high speeds but that is because it does its job so well. I was also told, high speed lane changes with IAS help to reduce the roll as you kinda slide in rather than typical turning in.
However all words - I wish I could try to see if I need it. Whats your experience ?
We ended up getting Air with IAS. Honestly I dont noticed any difference on both slow/high speed. I'm also in phx, yeah they didnt have many, if any, model with IAS on the lot.. Which dealership are you working with, try Chapman Chandler, they have quite a bit in stock the last time i was there.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 12:53 PM   #14
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We did not, but the positive reviews seem to outweigh the negative reviews by a fair margin. We live in Germany, so improved parking lot and parking garage maneuverability was what pushed us to order it. We loaded out our build, so it seemed relatively "cost-effective" to add.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 05:46 AM   #15
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 X5

Quote:
EDC controls, Comfort, Eco Pro, Sport and Adaptive, are standard across xLine and M Sport. When you option air suspension in any line, you'll definitely have EDC. Here's a quick chart, note that basic is not correct for USA.

Adaptive M suspension tunes EDC for a more sport ride compared to base suspension or air.
thats a great explanation chart, can i ask where you sourced it from?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 06:05 AM   #16
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Solid View Post
Quote:

thats a great explanation chart, can i ask where you sourced it from?
Here you go:

G05/G06 Technical Training documents https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1563063

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 03:38 AM   #17
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Here you go:

G05/G06 Technical Training documents https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1563063
thank you sir!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 06:24 PM   #18
Grentz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i G05

The Air Suspension is fantastic. It is amazingly comfortable for long road trips. I was worried about all the floaty comments, but it really is not bad at all and when you lower it in Sport mode it is very sporty.

IAS is also fantastic, whenever I get a loaner without it I can really tell the difference in parking lot navigation.
Past09' e90 335d, 11' E70 X5d, 16' F22 M235xi
Appreciate 3
mcsa65.00
M40i4me1014.50
      02-07-2020, 05:10 AM   #19
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grentz View Post
The Air Suspension is fantastic. It is amazingly comfortable for long road trips. I was worried about all the floaty comments, but it really is not bad at all and when you lower it in Sport mode it is very sporty.

IAS is also fantastic, whenever I get a loaner without it I can really tell the difference in parking lot navigation.
Totally agreed. Unless you live in an area with perfect asphalt, i would opt for the air suspension. To each his own but if you are looking for blend of comfort and sport its definitely a great option.
Appreciate 4
mcsa65.00
osteome194.50
M40i4me1014.50
      02-18-2020, 05:08 PM   #20
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

I test drove air (40i) vs adaptive M Sport (M50d) suspension and although I usually like a firm and sporty ride, the M50d while good handling was just a little too choppy on typical UK roads.

Air was not floaty at all in comfort mode and I hate floaty cars so I would be sensitive to it(I typically always take M Sport suspension on my cars to avoid that). Its actually very comfortable.

Sport mode on air is nice and firm. Adaptive as said is always somehow just right though - firm but comfortable at the same time. It really does adapt.

The height adjustment swung it for me as a big bonus - I love being able to choose my ride height any time.

Honestly, air has a really wide range of usability and goes from very comfy to very firm. At its firmest, its not as firm as adaptive M suspension but I haven't found that necessary.

The above is all in an X6 by the way, but not sure how much difference that makes.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 09:49 PM   #21
Mtn2Srf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

I have Air and IAS on my M Sport xdrive40i and it is simply amazing.

I had a menu glitch that took several days at the dealer and had a 2020 X5 base option xline as a loaner and it was a world of difference. The maneuvering of IAS is simply amazing and yet feels right. The air and ride and the fact it lowers in sport, and then allows me raise it when up in the CO mountains on deep snowy roads is exactly what I liked about my Overland Jeep.

No test drives before I took the leap to order air and IAS and I am very pleased. My two cents.
Appreciate 2
mcsa65.00
osteome194.50
      05-01-2020, 09:54 PM   #22
UltraDave
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

Does the dynamic handling package have stiffer springs than the regular adaptive suspension? Or is it just active rollbars and 4 wheel steering?
Appreciate 0