BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-19-2020, 06:20 PM   #1
kkpat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 x40i

New connected drive app!

My BMW connected drive hasn't been working for 4 months now. I finally got call from BMW NA customer service after I filled complain on BBB. Only to tell me that it's problem with connected app people and not physical problem on vehicle so he can't help me fix the issue. But he mentioned that they should be launching a whole new app in June 2020 to over come current problems.

Has any one heard that or the customer service executive is just playing me to shut me down?
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2020, 10:20 PM   #2
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW, X6, M50i

I have not heard that as yet...I've been chasing the same problem since around January 1st as well. I've tried about everything that's been recommended in the forums. Nothing has worked and in-fact, doing the Disable/Enable of Remote Services from inside the BMW ConnectedDrive website made things much worse for me. After doing that, absolutely none of my ConnectedDrive services (RTTI, Emergency calls, etc.) are working.

I've done 3 calls with the BMW Assist folks, spoke with BMW NA Customer Relations folks this morning (They, BTW, are very aware that they've got a a lot of people unhappy with BMW over this...) and then 30 minutes with a 'Supervisor' at BMW Assist who couldn't fix anything, but told me they'd get to it within the next week. In my case, it sounds like my ConnectedDrive account is completely messed up. They can't change anything, etc. Who knows...I will update as I learn more.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 08:38 AM   #3
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkratochvil View Post
I have not heard that as yet...I've been chasing the same problem since around January 1st as well. I've tried about everything that's been recommended in the forums. Nothing has worked and in-fact, doing the Disable/Enable of Remote Services from inside the BMW ConnectedDrive website made things much worse for me. After doing that, absolutely none of my ConnectedDrive services (RTTI, Emergency calls, etc.) are working.

I've done 3 calls with the BMW Assist folks, spoke with BMW NA Customer Relations folks this morning (They, BTW, are very aware that they've got a a lot of people unhappy with BMW over this...) and then 30 minutes with a 'Supervisor' at BMW Assist who couldn't fix anything, but told me they'd get to it within the next week. In my case, it sounds like my ConnectedDrive account is completely messed up. They can't change anything, etc. Who knows...I will update as I learn more.
You need to take it into the dealer to get that fixed as them and a BMW engineer applying the pressure to Connected Drive is the only way to get them to fix it. Last year mine was at the dealer twice (June and Sept.) for a total of over 6 weeks due to losing those services.

There is nothing physically wrong with the car but CD refused to do anything unless parts, including the head unit and TCU, were replaced. Once those were done and things still didn't work, CD finally put the effort into finding a data synching problem between systems. The TSARA case for the first time is #63504, perhaps that will help your dealer.
Appreciate 2
kkpat44.00
      02-20-2020, 10:33 AM   #4
kkpat
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:

You need to take it into the dealer to get that fixed as them and a BMW engineer applying the pressure to Connected Drive is the only way to get them to fix it. Last year mine was at the dealer twice (June and Sept.) for a total of over 6 weeks due to losing those services.

There is nothing physically wrong with the car but CD refused to do anything unless parts, including the head unit and TCU, were replaced. Once those were done and things still didn't work, CD finally put the effort into finding a data synching problem between systems. The TSARA case for the first time is #63504, perhaps that will help your dealer.
Thank you for that info.
So once they replaced the units and fixed the sync issue you never had problem again? Everything works fine since September?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 12:55 PM   #5
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW, X6, M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post

I've got a service appt. next week and will have the SA see what he can do...I believe the truck HW is good. So far, the ConnectedDrive folks have not pointed to the truck at all. They know the account is messed up and that's not in question at this point...It simply seems like this is one of those cases where the BMW Assist folks know basic stuff and they've outsourced everything else in the ConnectedDrive stack elsewhere and they're really struggling in managing that relationship.

Also, I should have mentioned that I've go a 2015, F15 right now, so that's where I've had the problem since Jan...(And my troubleshooting comments probably belong in the F15/F16 forum!)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 04:38 PM   #6
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpat View Post
Thank you for that info.
So once they replaced the units and fixed the sync issue you never had problem again? Everything works fine since September?
In June they replaced the TCU and it still didn't work until a couple of days later when CD fixed something on their end. Everything worked fine until one day in September when everything went out. At that time they replaced the head unit and things still didn't work until once again CD did something on their end. All has been fine since so hopefully it stays that way.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 04:43 PM   #7
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
I've got a service appt. next week and will have the SA see what he can do...I believe the truck HW is good. So far, the ConnectedDrive folks have not pointed to the truck at all. They know the account is messed up and that's not in question at this point...It simply seems like this is one of those cases where the BMW Assist folks know basic stuff and they've outsourced everything else in the ConnectedDrive stack elsewhere and they're really struggling in managing that relationship.

Also, I should have mentioned that I've go a 2015, F15 right now, so that's where I've had the problem since Jan...(And my troubleshooting comments probably belong in the F15/F16 forum!)
The F15 could be different. Both times my SA, service director, shop foreman and the BMW engineer assigned to the case all felt the hardware was fine but CD refused to do anything and pointed to the X5 as the problem. It was only after being shown that that was not the cause did they miraculously find something. CD is very, very poor at customer service, problem troubleshooting, etc.

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 02-20-2020 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: Grammer
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 10:16 AM   #8
MThree_Forty
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 Dravit Gray M340ix

CD Mis-behavin'

I just got a 2020 G05 X540i mid-February. I am having trouble with CD as well. No 3D View, remote start, door locking/ unlocking, doesn't display mileage, etc-- though does display location. I was told by Genius that a CD "fix" is allegedly coming in March/April.

Quote:
My BMW connected drive hasn't been working for 4 months now. I finally got call from BMW NA customer service after I filled complain on BBB. Only to tell me that it's problem with connected app people and not physical problem on vehicle so he can't help me fix the issue. But he mentioned that they should be launching a whole new app in June 2020 to over come current problems.

Has any one heard that or the customer service executive is just playing me to shut me down?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 08:24 AM   #9
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by F90Driver View Post
I just got a 2020 G05 X540i mid-February. I am having trouble with CD as well. No 3D View, remote start, door locking/ unlocking, doesn't display mileage, etc-- though does display location. I was told by Genius that a CD "fix" is allegedly coming in March/April.
I wouldn't bet on those coming anytime soon. BMW's definition of soon is pretty crappy. I usually just "nuke" the whole set up when this problem occurs. Delete the app, your profile, reset all settings on the vehicle, then start again. It's a pain in the ass, but 100% sure the dealership will have you do that. I've come to the conclusion that I need to anticipate what BS they will feed me as a "fix" before going in.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 05:08 PM   #10
MThree_Forty
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 Dravit Gray M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
I wouldn't bet on those coming anytime soon. BMW's definition of soon is pretty crappy. I usually just "nuke" the whole set up when this problem occurs. Delete the app, your profile, reset all settings on the vehicle, then start again. It's a pain in the ass, but 100% sure the dealership will have you do that. I've come to the conclusion that I need to anticipate what BS they will feed me as a "fix" before going in.

My Connected Drive app just started working 3 weeks ago or so, and has been working flawlessly since. Not sure why. Could have been that my previous vehicle hadn't cleared out of the system completely. No complaints, now.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 07:39 PM   #11
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
My Connected Drive app just started working 3 weeks ago or so, and has been working flawlessly since. Not sure why. Could have been that my previous vehicle hadn't cleared out of the system completely. No complaints, now.
You're one of the lucky few...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 08:08 PM   #12
kkpat
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
You're one of the lucky few...
TCU software update worked for me!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 02:19 AM   #13
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
TCU? What's TCU?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 06:46 AM   #14
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
TCU? What's TCU?
It is the telematic control unit that handles all of the communication for the vehicle. Doing a software update on it is something I don't remember hearing before. A number of folks here, including myself, had there TCU replaced for various reasons and software updates were not mentioned.
Appreciate 1
kkpat44.00
      04-09-2020, 03:05 PM   #15
kkpat
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
TCU? What's TCU?
Here is what they did to fix it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      04-09-2020, 09:01 PM   #16
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Interesting.

Everything on my App works with the exception of the remote 3D view. That has never worked more than a dozen times since I've owned the car. Every once in a while it will work but 99% of time it gives me various errors.

The last successful attempt was March 23rd. I check it several times a day but it hasn't worked since then.

All the other functions of the App have worked for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 09:29 PM   #17
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
I think that is an iDrive update but can't find the TSB on it right now.
Appreciate 0