BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-20-2020, 11:47 AM   #1
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

iPhone appears to be misbehaving with iDrive7

This is a cross-post from the G01/G02 forum. I'm not getting any traction there. I figure iDrive is iDrive so I'm hoping that someone here can help.

I have a G02 X4 M40i running the latest iDrive7 software; I don't use carPlay. I also have a (relatively ancient) iPhone 6+ (regular, not S). Although its running the latest iOS available for the device, it is not running the latest iOS.

I have the following issues:
  1. When I do a press-hold on the microphone button on the steering wheel, it doesn't call-out to Siri. It does nothing.
  2. Incoming text messages say that they're from <unknown>.
  3. When I press the microphone button and say "send text to (whoever)", it responds with: "Unfortunately your bluetooth device doesn't support message dictation".
  4. Selecting 3d view in the connected app makes it crash (the app, not the car).
With my 2015 X6:
  1. Press-hold went through to Siri.
  2. Since press-hold went through to Siri, message dictation worked.
  3. Incoming text messages showed the correct contact name (or #) of the sender.
I verified:
  • 3d view works with my iPad, so that's most definitely an issue with my phone.
  • My son's iPhone 8 will display the contact name for inbound text messages, but it exhibits issues #1 (press-hold) and #3 (no dictation).
Does anyone have an iPhone that is working with push-hold to Siri and text message dictation in iDrive7 (and not carPlay)?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0