BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-21-2020, 02:30 PM   #1
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Solved: Does the Key card not work with CarPlay?

So I tried the Key card today for the first time. I was very happy that it worked perfectly inside my wallet without having to take it out but there's two quirks that annoyed me, but maybe I'm doing something wrong:

1. whenever I unlocked the car, the driver's seat went back to some neutral position, and then I'd have to log into my driver profile for my settings to come back. It did that every time I locked or unlocked the car with the key card. Is there a way to assign the key card to a driver profile, or at least stop it from moving the seat constantly in between trips?

2. CarPlay doesnt work! I had my phone on me as per usual but it wouldn't pop up on the iDrive screen as it normally does. Does that mean I can only use CarPlay as long as I have the physical key fob with me?

SOLVED:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSMC55 View Post
Push the controller dial to the left to bring up the side menu. Select "car". Select "driver profiles". Select the profile you wish to use (you may get a message that the profile is already active. This is ok.). Push the controller right to the right side menu. Select "driver recognition". Select "with digital key". Follow the prompts.

Last edited by thereef510; 02-21-2020 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 03:02 PM   #2
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 GO5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
So I tried the Key card today for the first time. I was very happy that it worked perfectly inside my wallet without having to take it out but there's two quirks that annoyed me, but maybe I'm doing something wrong:

1. whenever I unlocked the car, the driver's seat went back to some neutral position, and then I'd have to log into my driver profile for my settings to come back. It did that every time I locked or unlocked the car with the key card. Is there a way to assign the key card to a driver profile, or at least stop it from moving the seat constantly in between trips?

2. CarPlay doesnt work! I had my phone on me as per usual but it wouldn't pop up on the iDrive screen as it normally does. Does that mean I can only use CarPlay as long as I have the physical key fob with me?
You can add the key card to your profile, provided you do not have another digital key, such as on your phone, added to yiur profile. The fob key being added as well is fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 03:30 PM   #3
kkpat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 x40i

Quote:

You can assign the key card inside your profile.
My CarPlay works with even when I use key card. It should work. Are you saying it doesn't work at all or the screen is starting up with regular home page and not the Apple CarPlay home page?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 04:31 PM   #4
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

okay well I just went out to my car and CarPlay didn't work even with my key fob, for whatever reason my phone was disconnected from the car, but after I reconnected it, it's working now.

I have an iphone, so I cant use my phone as a digital key. I tried to assign the credit card Key card that BMW gives you to my profile but couldn't find a way to do it. Can someone please teach me how to do it?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 04:57 PM   #5
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 GO5

Quote:
okay well I just went out to my car and CarPlay didn't work even with my key fob, for whatever reason my phone was disconnected from the car, but after I reconnected it, it's working now.

I have an iphone, so I cant use my phone as a digital key. I tried to assign the credit card Key card that BMW gives you to my profile but couldn't find a way to do it. Can someone please teach me how to do it?
Push the controller dial to the left to bring up the side menu. Select "car". Select "driver profiles". Select the profile you wish to use (you may get a message that the profile is already active. This is ok.). Push the controller right to the right side menu. Select "driver recognition". Select "with digital key". Follow the prompts.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 05:07 PM   #6
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Push the controller right to the right side menu. Select "driver recognition". Select "with digital key". Follow the prompts.
But I thought for digital key, it's talking about the smart phone digital key, not the key card itself. i'll try it again.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 05:47 PM   #7
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

right so I did what you suggested but it still says this:

View post on imgur.com

it still wont give me the option to tie my key card with my profile itself
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 06:46 PM   #8
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
right so I did what you suggested but it still says this:

View post on imgur.com

it still wont give me the option to tie my key card with my profile itself
Just put your card in there and you will be fine. The digital key and the key on a smartphone are handled the same way and it doesn't distinguish between the two for linking to the profile.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 07:24 PM   #9
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Just put your card in there and you will be fine. The digital key and the key on a smartphone are handled the same way and it doesn't distinguish between the two for linking to the profile.

it worked!!! thank you all so so so much. this is gonna be a lifesaver for me until Apple/BMW has CarKey up and running (if ever).

one last question: Can I still use my PIN to set my driver profile if I dont have the credit card key/fob with me, and someone else's driver profile was the last one used? I'm asking because I thought I saw an option in the profile that said you can either set your profile with the pin or the digital key.

Last edited by thereef510; 02-21-2020 at 07:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 11:59 PM   #10
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Quote:

it worked!!! thank you all so so so much. this is gonna be a lifesaver for me until Apple/BMW has CarKey up and running (if ever).

one last question: Can I still use my PIN to set my driver profile if I dont have the credit card key/fob with me, and someone else's driver profile was the last one used? I'm asking because I thought I saw an option in the profile that said you can either set your profile with the pin or the digital key.
Yes you can. I only use the display key occasionally. I can't manage to put my profile on both the normal fob and display key. So if I use the display key I confirm my profile with the code.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101165.00
      02-22-2020, 12:42 AM   #11
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

i appreciate you guys so much. I doubt i'd get all of this set up with the dealer or the BMW geniuses to the level of depth we have here, and the support we provide each other. We've had a f15 for 4 years and this has been a chief concern of mine, losing the key fob on one of my escapades. I couldnt be more pleased to have this feature and be able to use this key card as a regular key. thank you all, again for answering all of my questions and helping me set this up
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 01:51 AM   #12
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
i appreciate you guys so much. I doubt i'd get all of this set up with the dealer or the BMW geniuses to the level of depth we have here, and the support we provide each other. We've had a f15 for 4 years and this has been a chief concern of mine, losing the key fob on one of my escapades. I couldnt be more pleased to have this feature and be able to use this key card as a regular key. thank you all, again for answering all of my questions and helping me set this up
Thing with the keycard is that you have to take it out of your pocket. The key fob I keep in my pocket all day and never have to take it out.

Ps last profile doesn't matter. If you don't enter with the programmed key fob or card it will start with guest anyway. If the car remembered the last profile That would have solved my display key issue.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101165.00
      02-22-2020, 02:06 AM   #13
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Thing with the keycard is that you have to take it out of your pocket. The key fob I keep in my pocket all day and never have to take it out.

Ps last profile doesn't matter. If you don't enter with the programmed key fob or card it will start with guest anyway. If the car remembered the last profile That would have solved my display key issue.
well im happy to use the Key card because it works very well in my situation: we have a 2016 x5 and a 2020 x5; both have the exact same look and design of the key fob and the only real difference is that on one side of the '20 fob it says 'bmw individual' because the interior we ordered, even though its not a true individual is classified as that. but that doesnt mean i still remembered it as which one to pull off each key. and it always kept me apprehensive that i would lose the key fob moreso than id lose my entire wallet. so for all of those reasons, and until we can unlock our cars with iOS devices, i'm more than happy to have the BMW key card locked to my driver profile and work as a regular key.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 07:31 PM   #14
lpphototx
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5

The manual could certainly use improvement on the set-up and functioning of the key card. I finally got mine to work after reading this post and another.

I am able to lock and unlock my vehicle from my iPhone using the BMW Connected app, but do not see any capability to start the vehicle in the app.

Larry
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 07:39 PM   #15
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpphototx View Post
The manual could certainly use improvement on the set-up and functioning of the key card. I finally got mine to work after reading this post and another.

I am able to lock and unlock my vehicle from my iPhone using the BMW Connected app, but do not see any capability to start the vehicle in the app.

Larry
do you have an iphone? are you located in the US?

there's an option right under the main Connected Drive screen for "start engine now" or 'schedule remote engine start"

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 07:43 PM   #16
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpphototx View Post

Larry
The remote start/climatize now function appears to be missing for some people. My brother just got an X5 last week and he didn't have that option on his app either. I told him to make sure his privacy and remote start settings in iDrive were checked. I haven't heard back whether that fixed his or not.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 08:46 PM   #17
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Although I'm not sure, but i think on the G05 the climate control system is governed by the last state (if i turned it off, it stayed off when the next time I got in the car), unlike the F15, which always reverted back to ON, after a few minutes of maintaining the last state.

if you use the remote engine start feature, presumably to warm/cool down the car on oppresive weather days, does the climate control system always turn on?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 09:05 PM   #18
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
if you use the remote engine start feature, presumably to warm/cool down the car on oppresive weather days, does the climate control system always turn on?
99+% of the time I have mine set to Auto and so far the fan level was always at the lowest level the few times I did a remote start. Other than warming the engine, the remote start has been useless for me when wanting to heat the vehicle, the cooling seemed to work fine but the fan may have been higher when I turned it off. Perhaps there is a setting or something I don't have correct unless I need to set the fan to high before leaving the vehicle if I think I'm going to use remote start. Hopefully those that use it often will chime in with more info.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 09:24 PM   #19
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
99+% of the time I have mine set to Auto and so far the fan level was always at the lowest level the few times I did a remote start. Other than warming the engine, the remote start has been useless for me when wanting to heat the vehicle, the cooling seemed to work fine but the fan may have been higher when I turned it off. Perhaps there is a setting or something I don't have correct unless I need to set the fan to high before leaving the vehicle if I think I'm going to use remote start. Hopefully those that use it often will chime in with more info.
I also hope others will chime in. BMW has done so much stuff in the CD app, i wish they would let you control climate settings in the app itself and this would be a moot point.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 09:53 PM   #20
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
I also hope others will chime in. BMW has done so much stuff in the CD app, i wish they would let you control climate settings in the app itself and this would be a moot point.
I just talked to my brother and he got some info from the BMW Genius and evidently things are working differently than they are (or were) with mine. He didn't have time to give me all of the details but there is a temperature setting in iDrive for remote starts. He was able to enable climatization on remote starts and set a temperature for it to use. He has the remote start button on his app and when a remote start is done if the tempo is below the set value the heat comes on, above that value the AC comes on. I will have to check mine to see if maybe that was a change in the 07/2019.xx software and why my AC did work and now the heat doesn't appear to be.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101165.00
      02-22-2020, 10:06 PM   #21
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I've only had ours for a week but I used it twice, and both times I got into the vehicle and it was noticably warm (after only 5 minutes of it running). But I cant remember if the A/C display was on or not. I'll be sure to check again this week.

I also noticed that under enabled features there is: Climatize Now, Climatize Timer, and Stop Climatization. but there's not yet a way to do any of these functions.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 12:03 AM   #22
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I just talked to my brother and he got some info from the BMW Genius and evidently things are working differently than they are (or were) with mine. He didn't have time to give me all of the details but there is a temperature setting in iDrive for remote starts. He was able to enable climatization on remote starts and set a temperature for it to use. He has the remote start button on his app and when a remote start is done if the tempo is below the set value the heat comes on, above that value the AC comes on. I will have to check mine to see if maybe that was a change in the 07/2019.xx software and why my AC did work and now the heat doesn't appear to be.
I don't know if remote engine start is programmed the same way as pre conditioning the 45e?

It can be turned on (cd app, display key, programmed time in the car) but you are not able to chose the temp. Unless it follows the last chosen temp on the airco as mentioned. It will chose to cool or heat the interior depending on inside and outside temperatures.

Furthermore it also preconditions the high voltage battery.
Appreciate 0