Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by philooo View Post
The most rididuclous part is for the owners of 45e Hybrid X5...

You may all think the stop feature is made to save the earth from gas pollution but it is NOT !

Because my 45e does the exact same thing when I am in Electric only mode.

Meaning I am buzzing with engine off, battery only, and when I open my door the 'ignition shut off', meaning AC turns off and when I get back into the car I do have to press the start-stop button again before I can engage a gear.

The reason why really escapes me !

My take is that they have programmed that feature a long time ago for gas engine and safery procedure to put the car in park and really have not put much thought into customizing it for the hybrid engine.

Super frustrating for example when the family is in the car under the hot sun, and I step out to pickup something i forgot in the house, wife needs to restart the ac / radio manually. Not a big deal but inconvenient as it takes her by surprise each time. Most of the time thinking I turned the car off and forgot about her ... thanks BMW lol
Exactly this, for 45e owners this makes no sense at all!!
My 40e also did this. It is to prevent you leave your car when the electric engine active on and the car drives off once you release the brake. Probably the same with the mild hybrids and also with automatic start stop systems because the engine is not running at stand still.

However it could also just automatically put the car in park when the door is opened and keep everything on (AC , radio, ...) when sufficient HV battery charge is available and turn it of once below 20 ? %.
The car is in P and auto-hold at that time. Passengers are still in it (seat belts locked). So it makes no sense to me. :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 11:00 AM   #90
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The most rididuclous part is for the owners of 45e Hybrid X5...

You may all think the stop feature is made to save the earth from gas pollution but it is NOT !

Because my 45e does the exact same thing when I am in Electric only mode.

Meaning I am buzzing with engine off, battery only, and when I open my door the 'ignition shut off', meaning AC turns off and when I get back into the car I do have to press the start-stop button again before I can engage a gear.

The reason why really escapes me !

My take is that they have programmed that feature a long time ago for gas engine and safery procedure to put the car in park and really have not put much thought into customizing it for the hybrid engine.

Super frustrating for example when the family is in the car under the hot sun, and I step out to pickup something i forgot in the house, wife needs to restart the ac / radio manually. Not a big deal but inconvenient as it takes her by surprise each time. Most of the time thinking I turned the car off and forgot about her ... thanks BMW lol
Exactly this, for 45e owners this makes no sense at all!!
My 40e also did this. It is to prevent you leave your car when the electric engine active on and the car drives off once you release the brake. Probably the same with the mild hybrids and also with automatic start stop systems because the engine is not running at stand still.

However it could also just automatically put the car in park when the door is opened and keep everything on (AC , radio, ...) when sufficient HV battery charge is available and turn it of once below 20 ? %.
The car is in P and auto-hold at that time. Passengers are still in it (seat belts locked). So it makes no sense to me. :-)
That is correct.

In that situation in would be safe to leave the car like it is. Probably having the gear in P is the most important.

Maybe not child proof (putting the car in gear again). But that could also be a problem with normal cars.

I don't think it would be a good idea to shift the gear to park when opening the drivers door. Imagine what happens when the door is opened and the car is still moving. And off course that could be programmed too.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 05:45 PM   #91
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
I don't think it would be a good idea to shift the gear to park when opening the drivers door. Imagine what happens when the door is opened and the car is still moving. And off course that could be programmed too.
there was a recent video of a lady being dragged under her Range Rover because it rolled as she stepped out. she later died. (i believe it was determined the vehicle's parking gear failed.)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 05:54 PM   #92
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Park is a pin in the transmission that can be sheared off under some adverse conditions. Now, it probably does other things in the logic, but mechanically, park isn't really all that secure.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 04:09 AM   #93
Dogmatick
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40D 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
there was a recent video of a lady being dragged under her Range Rover because it rolled as she stepped out. she later died. (i believe it was determined the vehicle's parking gear failed.)
Same thing happened to a friend of mine (Except thankfully he didn't die) whilst opening his gate, his X5 smashed into him and crushed his leg. It was determined the park setting on his gearbox failed at that moment letting the car roll down on the slight incline.
He now drives a Q7 and is beside himself that I ordered an X5 !
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 01:13 PM   #94
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

While people that grew up on manual transmissioned vehicles were fairly religious about using the parking brake, few do that with their automatic transmissioned vehicles...but, IMHO, they should.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 02:07 PM   #95
10101X5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 10101X101

Quote:
So when I step out of the car (other people still inside), the car shuts down. So ac stops, dash goes off etc. Why is that? I have the option in the screenshot disabled, but still it shuts down. It's a 45e, happening both in electric and adaptive mode. It's annoying when I just have to open a gate or something that everything shuts off.

Translation of the screenshot: Shutdown car when door is opened.
In the right information pane, it says it only does that when nobody is left in the car.
I have it checked. Sometimes it shuts off, other times it doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 06:04 PM   #96
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

If you still have your seatbelt on and open the door, I'm pretty sure the thing will stay on.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 12:05 AM   #97
meystel
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 45e

2022 and it's not fixed yet

Quote:

Well that's exactly right, philooo. They steadfastly ignore this use-case to this day. Took delivery of a 2023 X5 45e a few days ago and this is the very first thing I noticed. Maddening when the passenger has mobility problem and can't press AC on themselves, etc. Why has BMW ignored this for years now and how do we get their attention? I called them and they said they understand the use case I'm describing but the car is functioning as designed (go pound sand). For the money, that just doesn't feel right. I'll bet other phev's don't do this. Does anyone have any personal experience with the behavior of competing products?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 06:27 AM   #98
daveross1212
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 21 Tahoe, 22 F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by meystel View Post
I'll bet other phev's don't do this. Does anyone have any personal experience with the behavior of competing products?
I just got an F150 Lightning. It does not do this - e.g. if the vehicle is ON (because it has an on/off switch just like the 45e) it stays ON if you exit (AC still running, radio still blaring).

I'm usually annoyed by this in the 45e when I'm leaving the house, starting to back out of the driveway and realize I forgot something. Then bam, carplay disconnect, seat position changed, etc etc. And we all know that the software loves to randomly *not* bring everything back to where it was (e.g. randomly changes drive mode from the default, won't keep my HUD height setting, etc etc).
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 07:54 AM   #99
LarsOtium
First Lieutenant
Rep

My complaint with this BMW overreach because they think they're smart and I am dumb so they have to protect me from myself nonsense is that in addition to car shutting down if you walk away with key with passenger in car, BMW also turns on the car alarm!

Thus, passenger then trips the alarm.

Very, very annoying.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 10:32 AM   #100
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Mine turns off when I open the driver door, which is totally annoying.

It however has nothing to do with me walking away with the key. I think you have it set to “lock when walk away”.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 03:09 PM   #101
Angiekeating67
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

My 22X5e does this too and it drives me crazy
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 04:21 PM   #102
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveross1212 View Post
I just got an F150 Lightning. It does not do this - e.g. if the vehicle is ON (because it has an on/off switch just like the 45e) it stays ON if you exit (AC still running, radio still blaring).

I'm usually annoyed by this in the 45e when I'm leaving the house, starting to back out of the driveway and realize I forgot something. Then bam, carplay disconnect, seat position changed, etc etc.And we all know that the software loves to randomly *not* bring everything back to where it was (e.g. randomly changes drive mode from the default, won't keep my HUD height setting, etc etc).
this doesn't happen on my 45e.

I just tested both ways (opening the door before and after pressing the Start/Stop button):
- opening the door before: all electronics stay on, including radio, HUD, instrument cluster and control display. HVAC stops. CarPlay connection with iPhone remains. seat/steering wheel positions stay. my driver profile stays.
- opening the door after: all electronics turn off (to be expected because i have the "turn off vehicle when opening door" setting enabled). HVAC stops. steering wheel retracts for egress. seat position stays. CarPlay connection with iPhone remains according to the iPhone's Command Center, but I'm certain it times out and disconnects after some time. while I exited the vehicle and went into the house, it wasn't long enough to disconnect CarPlay, and when I restarted the vehicle, my driver profile was already loaded, and steering wheel position moved to my settings. (my key fob was in my pants front pocket.)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 04:38 PM   #103
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
I'm usually annoyed by this in the 45e when I'm leaving the house, starting to back out of the driveway and realize I forgot something. Then bam, carplay disconnect, seat position changed, etc etc. And we all know that the software loves to randomly *not* bring everything back to where it was (e.g. randomly changes drive mode from the default, won't keep my HUD height setting, etc etc).
Sounds like you have a profile issue of some sort. I would suggest first restarting iDrive to get that out of the way and see if anything changes. Of course make sure you have your key set up as recognition for the profile. It would be a pain but if the problems keep happening then you may want to delete that profile and create a new one.

You don't happen to have two BMW's and have the profiles set to update to the cloud do you? Doing that will cause some of the settings for one vehicle to be applied to the other.

Let us know if anything changes.
      08-24-2022, 08:29 AM   #104
daveross1212
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 21 Tahoe, 22 F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Sounds like you have a profile issue of some sort. I would suggest first restarting iDrive to get that out of the way and see if anything changes. Of course make sure you have your key set up as recognition for the profile. It would be a pain but if the problems keep happening then you may want to delete that profile and create a new one.

You don't happen to have two BMW's and have the profiles set to update to the cloud do you? Doing that will cause some of the settings for one vehicle to be applied to the other.

Let us know if anything changes.
This is definitely just "intermittent" behavior and seems to be tied to direction of the wind - my main gripes are just the HUD setting (which never seems to "stick" to my profile) and the HVAC turning off even if I didn't turn the car off.

But I also experience other oddities like the default drive mode not applying when I start the car - that seems to happen when I do a quick stop (like dropping the kids off at school) where the car is off for ~3 minutes. When I get back in, instead of starting in Electric Individual (as it usually does) it will start in Hybrid.

Overall we're happy w/ the car and these are minor gripes. The F150L has plenty of issues itself!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 08:43 AM   #105
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This is definitely just "intermittent" behavior and seems to be tied to direction of the wind - my main gripes are just the HUD setting (which never seems to "stick" to my profile) and the HVAC turning off even if I didn't turn the car off.

But I also experience other oddities like the default drive mode not applying when I start the car - that seems to happen when I do a quick stop (like dropping the kids off at school) where the car is off for ~3 minutes. When I get back in, instead of starting in Electric Individual (as it usually does) it will start in Hybrid.
HUD settings and driver profile not sticking definitely sound like settings not in sync with your key fob. doesn't hurt to double check those settings in iDrive. do you happen to have both key fobs in the vehicle at the same time? this is known to cause conflicts. also, could you inadvertently be picking up the other key fob instead of yours? (it's happened!)

just clarifying that you enabled "start in Electric as standard" when configuring Electric Individual? despite doing this, the random electric to hybrid is a known bug:

45e switching electric individual to hybrid https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1725274

there's a workaround to keep everything on including HVAC which involves running the ICE, so avoid enclosed spaces:
- PARK vehicle
- place in Hybrid or Adaptive drive mode
- with one foot firmly pressing the brake pedal, tap the accelerator pedal with the other foot. this will turn on the ICE
- open the door and exit the vehicle

if you just want to keep the HVAC running but not necessarily the electronics, you can do so with ending your trip by:
- pressing the Start/Stop button
- start preconditioning via iDrive screen (must first be enabled in settings)
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 11:49 AM   #106
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
HUD settings and driver profile not sticking definitely sound like settings not in sync with your key fob. doesn't hurt to double check those settings in iDrive. do you happen to have both key fobs in the vehicle at the same time? this is known to cause conflicts. also, could you inadvertently be picking up the other key fob instead of yours? (it's happened!)

just clarifying that you enabled "start in Electric as standard" when configuring Electric Individual? despite doing this, the random electric to hybrid is a known bug:

45e switching electric individual to hybrid https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1725274

there's a workaround to keep everything on including HVAC which involves running the ICE, so avoid enclosed spaces:
- PARK vehicle
- place in Hybrid or Adaptive drive mode
- with one foot firmly pressing the brake pedal, tap the accelerator pedal with the other foot. this will turn on the ICE

if you just want to keep the HVAC running but not necessarily the electronics, you can do so with ending your trip by:
- pressing the Start/Stop button
- start preconditioning via iDrive screen (must first be enabled in settings)
This workaround, while works, doesn't ease any frustrations. I just don't get the logic behind this design.

Too many times in the morning, I have full HV, taking son to preK. When driving out of garage, figure out need get some something, could it be son's covid test result, homework, lunch .... whatever. I want to keep the car on at park but not ICE on. No reason to have ICE on for 20s just to keep the car on, then continue the journey with EV mode.

I just wonder what were BWM designer thinking when they implement this. Did they do what Mavrick does, "don't think, just do" .. L
      08-24-2022, 11:51 AM   #107
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
This workaround, while works, doesn't ease any frustrations. I just don't get the logic behind this design.

Too many times in the morning, I have full HV, taking son to preK. When driving out of garage, figure out need get some something, could it be son's covid test result, homework, lunch .... whatever. I want to keep the car on at park but not ICE on. No reason to have ICE on for 20s just to keep the car on, then continue the journey with EV mode.

I just wonder what were BWM designer thinking when they implement this. Did they do what Mavrick does, "don't think, just do" .. L
I agree with you. i rarely do it, but so many folks want things to stay ON. I'm just sharing the option

i regularly start preconditioning to keep passengers comfortable when i step out quickly
Appreciate 1
eelnoraa2032.50