03-23-2022, 07:54 PM   #45
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M, 2012 X5, 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by khal View Post
Hi
I know your problem with your car was a long time but I just saw this today because I was planning to have the same colour, but how’s your car now after all is it good, and the problem was from the last how the car was washed. Please let me know if possible. Thanks
It has swirls now from the carwashes, but not as bad as that first carwash, they really did a number on it, they must have had sand on the rags, or maybe their water filtration system was bad.

But this type of paint and color is really too fragile, you're better off getting a white or a gray one, I have a 2012 Space Gray E70, and you really can't see any swirls in the paint after 10 years.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 01:56 AM   #46
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo2134 View Post

The good news is that the swirls are on the PPF and not the actual paint. Anyone know if the swirls are removable from PPF?
Should be the ole "self healing" but depends on the quality of the PPF and some aren't gonna come out.

Basically you can try a blow dryer or heat gun, obviously being very careful not to overheat it. 3-5 quick cycles of heating should do it if it's decent ppf and the swirls aren't too bad. Obviously do a decon wash first and check the LSP after to see if water is still beading
Appreciate 1
jo2134385.00
      03-24-2022, 11:09 AM   #47
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

I have a '22 X6MC in TB2 and I've kept my paint swirl free by using a touchless car wash stall in Coney Island to get the bulk of salt removed during the winter months.

Other than that, I will either hand wash myself using micro fiber towels and I have a mobile detailing service that comes to our job 2-3 times throughout the year for about 5-6 other car enthusiasts and have our cars pampered while we go about our daily tasks.

Many have said it in this thread, best way to keep dark paint swirl free is hand washing only (no drive thru wash racks) and the occasional spa day for your car.

I haven't done PPF, but I hope the OP had had a much better experience keeping it clean after completing that process a few months ago.
      03-24-2022, 07:34 PM   #48
jo2134
jo2134
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:

The good news is that the swirls are on the PPF and not the actual paint. Anyone know if the swirls are removable from PPF?
Should be the ole "self healing" but depends on the quality of the PPF and some aren't gonna come out.

Basically you can try a blow dryer or heat gun, obviously being very careful not to overheat it. 3-5 quick cycles of heating should do it if it's decent ppf and the swirls aren't too bad. Obviously do a decon wash first and check the LSP after to see if water is still beading
Read this somewhere else as well. Will test on an inconspicuous spot.

Thanks!
2015 528xi Dark Graphite / Cinnamon Brown
2013 X5 50i Platinum Gray / Cinnamon Brown 20" Y-Spoke Wheels
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 10:46 PM   #49
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Read this somewhere else as well. Will test on an inconspicuous spot.

Thanks!
yeah, keep us updated and maybe some before & after pics - always good to get a record of people's experiences.

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 06:24 AM   #50
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
I have a '22 X6MC in TB2 and I've kept my paint swirl free by using a touchless car wash stall in Coney Island to get the bulk of salt removed during the winter months.

Other than that, I will either hand wash myself using micro fiber towels and I have a mobile detailing service that comes to our job 2-3 times throughout the year for about 5-6 other car enthusiasts and have our cars pampered while we go about our daily tasks.

Many have said it in this thread, best way to keep dark paint swirl free is hand washing only (no drive thru wash racks) and the occasional spa day for your car.

I haven't done PPF, but I hope the OP had had a much better experience keeping it clean after completing that process a few months ago.

Small world - you mean the one at the BP gas station? I too use it sometimes, but it barely washes anything. I bought my own pressure washer, and when its not too cold I just blast the salt off myself.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2022, 07:14 AM   #51
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowX6M View Post
Small world - you mean the one at the BP gas station? I too use it sometimes, but it barely washes anything. I bought my own pressure washer, and when its not too cold I just blast the salt off myself.
That's the one!

I agree, it's definitely far from a detailing center, but it has been the best option in the general area that I can find for salt removal after snow.

Because I park in a garage after work, I usually give it a quick wipe down after that wash after parking.

I hope the power washer works out well for you. I can understand how frustrating it can be for a brand new car to have those swirls so prominent in the sunlight, especially with such a beautiful color such as TB2.
      03-26-2022, 06:27 AM   #52
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's the one!

I agree, it's definitely far from a detailing center, but it has been the best option in the general area that I can find for salt removal after snow.

Because I park in a garage after work, I usually give it a quick wipe down after that wash after parking.

I hope the power washer works out well for you. I can understand how frustrating it can be for a brand new car to have those swirls so prominent in the sunlight, especially with such a beautiful color such as TB2.
Well, I have taken it to the car wash on McDonald Ave several times, and it has swirls, but normal swirls that I can live with. The very first wash that caused drastic swirls happened at the wash on Stillwell Ave, so avoid that place.

I'm probably going to powerwash my cars, including the underbody, over the weekend to get rid of all the winter salt.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2022, 08:38 AM   #53
jo2134
jo2134
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's the one!

Well, I have taken it to the car wash on McDonald Ave several times, and it has swirls, but normal swirls that I can live with. The very first wash that caused drastic swirls happened at the wash on Stillwell Ave, so avoid that place.

I'm probably going to powerwash my cars, including the underbody, over the weekend to get rid of all the winter salt.
Do you mean The Wash Experts? Nice place but line can get obnoxiously long. People will literally wait 2+ hours. Must be nice to have that much free time
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 01:10 PM   #54
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Do you mean The Wash Experts? Nice place but line can get obnoxiously long. People will literally wait 2+ hours. Must be nice to have that much free time
Sorry, maybe I've described the wrong wash stall.

The one I'm taking about is a power wash system only, with no personnel standing by to hand dry, no track to put your car in.

It's a simple bay / garage wash stall for one car at a time, that power washes your car while you sit in the stall for about 5-7 mins. Located right behind the BP gas station on cropsey and mermaid.

It has a card reader outside that I believe the manger disabled, so I have to go to the counter inside, pay the clerk by swiping the card for 15 bucks for a quick spray wash and wax application. When it's over, I come out with a wet car, but no swirls since there's no track to scuff wheels or people using towels used on countless cars before mine that day.

I just have dry it myself when I get to my Apt garage about a 10 min drive away.
      03-26-2022, 06:00 PM   #55
jo2134
jo2134
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by "jo2134;28730451"
Sorry, maybe I've described the wrong wash stall.

The one I'm taking about is a power wash system only, with no personnel standing by to hand dry, no track to put your car in.

It's a simple bay / garage wash stall for one car at a time, that power washes your car while you sit in the stall for about 5-7 mins. Located right behind the BP gas station on cropsey and mermaid.

It has a card reader outside that I believe the manger disabled, so I have to go to the counter inside, pay the clerk by swiping the card for 15 bucks for a quick spray wash and wax application. When it's over, I come out with a wet car, but no swirls since there's no track to scuff wheels or people using towels used on countless cars before mine that day.

I just have dry it myself when I get to my Apt garage about a 10 min drive away.
Will have to check this out. What are the hours?
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2022, 06:43 PM   #56
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

If you go the Wash Experts, its better to go on a workday morning, when there is no line. During the weekend and afternoon hours, the line is insane.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 06:57 PM   #57
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Will have to check this out. What are the hours?
I'll verify the next time I go there, but I believe it's 24 hours, as long as temps aren't below freezing.

the longest I've ever waited was behind 1 car. Usually, I'm not waiting at all after 8pm, which is my normal weekly routine during the winter months
      03-26-2022, 09:11 PM   #58
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'll verify the next time I go there, but I believe it's 24 hours, as long as temps aren't below freezing.

the longest I've ever waited was behind 1 car. Usually, I'm not waiting at all after 8pm, which is my normal weekly routine during the winter months

Funny story from almost 20 years ago. My wife took her car to that wash, and she did not align the car properly when she drove in, and so the display told her to back up. As she started to back up, she hit the overhead door that was partially closed with the roof of the car - she couldn't see it because it was really foggy inside the bay, the door fell and crashed on her roof, she panicked and hit the gas instead of the brake, jumped over the curb, right into the snow covered grass.

Needless to say, the car was pretty much totalled.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 06:20 AM   #59
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Funny story from almost 20 years ago. My wife took her car to that wash, and she did not align the car properly when she drove in, and so the display told her to back up. As she started to back up, she hit the overhead door that was partially closed with the roof of the car - she couldn't see it because it was really foggy inside the bay, the door fell and crashed on her roof, she panicked and hit the gas instead of the brake, jumped over the curb, right into the snow covered grass.

Needless to say, the car was pretty much totalled.
Ouch! Hopefully she wasn't injured at all, during that incident.

Nowadays, cars are packed with so many sensors and automatic reaction safety features, hopefully something like that wouldn't happen to a modern car.

20 years ago, it definitely took more "skill" and experience paired with spacial awareness to navigate tight spaces and roadways found in the area, lol
      04-22-2022, 10:40 PM   #60
robersoj1
Private
Rep
Drives: X7

swirl marks

Have any of you guys tried a car air blower to prevent the swirl getting in your paint. I ordered a X7 with TB paint and would hate to get paint swirls.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 06:35 AM   #61
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by robersoj1 View Post
Have any of you guys tried a car air blower to prevent the swirl getting in your paint. I ordered a X7 with TB paint and would hate to get paint swirls.
I purchased one by BLO, but swirls mostly occur while washing the car due to the dirt trapped in the clothes/sponges, so that part of your technique should be refined
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 06:59 PM   #62
QdaNoob
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW X5M Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robersoj1 View Post
I purchased one by BLO, but swirls mostly occur while washing the car due to the dirt trapped in the clothes/sponges, so that part of your technique should be refined
Here's an option. My cost is about $55 before shipping and it works if you follow the instructions. And it's made by a reputable company,3M. I use on all the car after a PPF install. Just a suggestion for what it's worth.
Attached Images

Past: “19 M5C Marina Bay Blue

Last edited by QdaNoob; 04-27-2022 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 09:38 AM   #63
Elle BMW
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 x40i, i4 edrive40

has anyone tried, or have an opinion on the bmw ceramic coating that they offer?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 10:08 AM   #64
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle BMW View Post
has anyone tried, or have an opinion on the bmw ceramic coating that they offer?
inferior product (from experience)
Appreciate 0