BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which Winter Tire for X5 45e (SF -> Tahoe)
Pilot Alpin 6 60.00%
Nokian WRG4 1 10.00%
Pirelli Scorpion 1 10.00%
Blizzak LM001 1 10.00%
Other 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

11-06-2020, 04:12 PM   #1
Fennario
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

SF -> Tahoe Winter Tire Selection

Apologies for yet another winter tire post but haven't been able to find the answers I'm looking for.

Would like to get a 19" set of winter wheels/tires for a 2021 X5 45e w/ MSport Brakes. Have read through all of the 19/20 controversy posts and feel comfortable going with the 19"

Travel would be between SF and Tahoe... Tire selection is where I am having some difficulties. Much of my driving will be in the lowlands where temps are between 40 and 65 degrees with weekend trips to Lake Tahoe where it does not typically drop below zero degrees Fahrenheit. Extreme weather scenario is heavy wet snow on mountain highways and local roads. Wet and/or black ice are also possibilities. Generally, think I need a "Southern European" vs. "Northern European" Winter tire but wanted to confirm.

1. RFT or not? No spare tire but (i) slow leaks can be dealt with on both by adding some more air, and (ii) a bad RFT requires a tow regardless. RFTs are noisier and handle worse but not sure if BMW will sell non-RFT package for 45e.

2. Tires
(a). Pilot Alpin. Currently my top choice.
(b). Nokian WRG4. R3's are amazing but do not think my scenario fits their use case well. Too much of my driving will be on warmer roads. The WRG4 seems like a better compromise and able to handle the varied conditions without giving up too much winter performance.
(c). Pirelli Scorpion
(d). Blizzak LM001
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 12:27 PM   #2
Jenbo47749
Rep
Drives: BMW X05

I chose the Pilot Alpine 5 SUV (non RFT, although they come as run-flats as well), given the well-rated wet performance. If you are choosing the Pirelli Scorpion, you might as well go for the BMW standard winter tire set. Not to make your choice more complicated, Consumer Reports likes the Vredestein Wintrac Pro.
Appreciate 1
Fennario151.50
      11-09-2020, 10:30 AM   #3
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 45e & G87 6MT

Pilot Alpin 5 is probably the best performance winter tire on sale today if you don't mind the price premium. WR G4 is probably the best value option in your situation (90% of Michelin's performance for 75% of the cost). As Jenbo47749 mentioned the Wintrac Pros are very highly rated too but they have high rolling resistance so they will probably noticeably reduce your EV range unlike the other two. Pirelli winter tires in general seem to be a step behind the competition and the LM001s are a little older design at this point (they have LM005s in Europe and those are very highly rated).

Last edited by moodyhank82; 11-09-2020 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
Fennario151.50