09-28-2020, 02:53 PM   #67
ketrab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F25 2.8i , '21 G5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
You can put it in battery save mode. It will charge the HV battery with the ICE. The % can be chosen. Max is 100%.

It will charge up till and then keep the battery at the chosen level.

This is a driving mode next to sport, adaptive, electric individual, hybrid and eco pro ... it is not my preferred driving mode. So I only use it if I need battery charge at destination. And for me that is only when I want to pre heat or cool.

In battery save mode my economy goes from 10 to 14-15 liters / 100 km. So not very fuel efficient.

In my experience in battery save mode you get 1 km of range for every 2-3 km driven at 120 km/h. At higher speeds in Germany it is less efficient in charging.
Where is the battery save mode button? I'm only seeing sport,hybrid,electric,adaptive.

When set to 100% that would be from what is allocated and not entire 24 kW pack correct? Its because you don't want to go 100% unless its 100% for the 17kW here in US for example.

update. I think i found it. I believe its the battery control button correct?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 03:00 PM   #68
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketrab View Post
Quote:
You can put it in battery save mode. It will charge the HV battery with the ICE. The % can be chosen. Max is 100%.

This is a driving mode next to sport, adaptive, electric individual, hybrid and eco pro ... it is not my preferred driving mode. So I only use it if I need battery charge at destination. And for me that is only when I want to pre heat or cool.

In battery save mode my economy goes from 10 to 14-15 liters / 100 km. So not very fuel efficient.

In my experience in battery save mode you get 1 km of range for every 2-3 km driven at 120 km/h. At higher speeds in Germany it is less efficient in charging.
Where is the battery save mode button? I'm only seeing sport,hybrid,electric,adaptive.

When set to 100% that would be from what is allocated and not entire 24 kW pack correct? Its because you don't want to go 100% unless its 100% for the 17kW here in US for example.

Sorry it is called battery control not safe. It is under the camera and parking buttons. Above the drive mode buttons.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 03:14 PM   #69
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

100% in my car is fully charged on the meter as if I charged it at home. So in the US it would be the same only that our 100% is different (17 vs 21). I don't think it would even be possible to charge to 24 kWh in the US.

I charged up to 100% once before a week in the Austrian Alps last winter. I wanted to pre heat every day and couldn't charge. Really nice to get in a heated car and the snow and ice can just be pushed of the windows when it is freezing.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 03:19 PM   #70
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry it is called battery control not safe. It is under the camera and parking buttons. Above the drive mode buttons.
Yup

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 03:21 PM   #71
ketrab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

GrussGott do you think its possible to increase the lock on US versions to at least UK kW size? Technically yes but BMW won't do it....i guess. Just curious why the difference other than "warranty"?!

Last edited by ketrab; 09-28-2020 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 03:33 PM   #72
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Thank you X5 45e, GrussGott and ketrab for your info. GrussGott, I saw what you said about your info not being from X45e ownership but your info matches what I've been able to dig up elsewhere.

Looks like BMW put a lot of thought into this car, its actually quite nice for a luxo heavy cruiser and I can see the attractiveness to its design as a PHEV. Based on your feedback and what I've read, I now know a lot more about it and am glad I posted my query. Its just not the right car for the way we would use it.
Appreciate 3
GrussGott18113.00
X5 45e1077.00
volodp193.50
      09-28-2020, 11:17 PM   #73
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The percentage charge listed is not the actual bare battery charge level...it's the level the computer will let you use. The same is true at both the bottom and top of the charge. The computer won't let you fully charge OR discharge the battery to help preserve its life.

BMW's BEV i3 has a heat pump, but the REx version does not. So, it seems the addition of the hybrid may be the reason why it does not (yet?) offer a heat pump in their hybrids. It may be part of the other components heating/cooling requirements with an engine that make it complicated, and not desirable.

Your electric range is based on a moving average of your previous driving. I do not know how big that window is, but on the i3, it's about 18-miles. BMW tends to reuse code where it's possible, so that algorithm may be similar in the 45e. I haven't driven my 45e enough to get a good feel for how it calculates EV range. At least at the temperatures I've seen so far, and the roads I've driven, I've done nearly 100% in EV mode. I did put it in sport mode for a short while, but only went a few miles.

If you set a destination with the nav system, in hybrid mode, the car will try to manage the battery capacity to run out about when you reach your destination if the trip length suggests it will be useful, so it will also account for elevation changes, speed limits, and how long the trip is. this will allow it to use the electric motor to fill in for climbing hills and the occasional passing maneuver. If you don't set a destination, it cannot manage things as intelligently. So, even if you know the way, it may be beneficial to use the navigation system to set a destination.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 10:58 AM   #74
ketrab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So what would be a purpose of even using this feature if its counter eco?! One would think that this regen takes no hit on consumption but I guess without going into the detailed design its hard to say why...
      09-29-2020, 11:50 AM   #75
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
So what would be a purpose of even using this feature if its counter eco?! One would think that this regen takes no hit on consumption but I guess without going into the detailed design its hard to say why...
Regen while braking / slowing down charges the battery in stead of using the brakes (and creating heat). So this generates free battery charge. But it is very limited.

Charging the battery with battery hold is not regenerative but active charging with the ICE. The ICE is powering the dynamo. Otherwise BMW has invented a way to create energy.

I only use it when I need a charged battery. And I only need a charged battery to use pre heating or cooling when I am on holidays and I am not able to plug in during the stay.

Pre heating is fantastic when the car is covered with snow and ice. And pre cooling the car when it is parked in the sun in the summer is too.

Another reason could be to be able to drive electric into the city centre. It could be that in the future some centres would only be accessible for electric cars. So you would have to keep your charge for the city. It should do that anyway if you program it.

But is not economic and not environmentally friendly either.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 02:25 PM   #76
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So what would be a purpose of even using this feature if its counter eco?!
Quote:
Charging the battery with battery hold is not regenerative but active charging with the ICE. The ICE is powering the dynamo. ... to use pre heating or cooling ... Another reason could be to be able to drive electric into the city centre.
Exactly - As I've been reading up on the 45e it's occurred to me that driving a PHEV requires all new motoring/driving/planning skills and probably more than even a BEV because there everything is electric versus a PHEV which has some of the downsides of electric (power, heat, a/c, charging, etc), but is also an ICE vehicle. Thus the driver has to understand how the equipment works/interacts so they can make the right choices.

As mentioned, the e-motor can either help spin the drive axle - or be spun by drive axle; and, of course, when the ICE spins the e-motor that charges the batteries, but also puts a new load on the ICE, thus the lower MPG.

I'd use battery hold for the reasons X5 45e describes, and also for sport mode so I can have full power - since my primary reasons for getting the PHEV are lower acquisition & operating costs (if I want) and to start understanding the technology (including the trade-offs!). The X5 allows me to do that in SUV packaging and hopefully also provides a more chill experience (which I'm not sure I'll like )

Last edited by GrussGott; 09-29-2020 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 3
X5 45e1077.00
volodp193.50
      09-29-2020, 02:55 PM   #77
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
So what would be a purpose of even using this feature if its counter eco?!
Quote:
Charging the battery with battery hold is not regenerative but active charging with the ICE. The ICE is powering the dynamo. ... to use pre heating or cooling ... Another reason could be to be able to drive electric into the city centre.
Exactly - As I've been reading up on the 45e it's occurred to me that driving a PHEV requires all new motoring/driving/planning skills and probably more than even a BEV because there everything is electric versus a PHEV which has some of the downsides of electric (power, heat, a/c, charging, etc), but is also an ICE vehicle. Thus the driver has to understand how the equipment works/interacts so they can make the right choices.

As mentioned, the e-motor can either help spin the drive axle - or be spun by drive axle; and, of course, when the ICE spins the e-motor that charges the batteries, but also puts a new load on the ICE, thus the lower MPG.

I'd use battery hold for the reasons X5 45e describes, and also for sport mode so I can have full power - since my primary reasons for getting the PHEV are lower acquisition & operating costs (if I want) and to start understanding the technology (including the trade-offs!). The X5 allows me to do that in SUV packaging and hopefully also provides a more chill experience (which I'm not sure I'll like )
You don't have to keep battery for sport mode. As soon as you switch to sport mode it starts to regen more (slow down mode when you release gas) and also charges the battery to (I think) 15% to have enough e boost for a sporty driving style.

The chill electric mode happened to me and others. And it is relaxing. Somehow it encourages to adapt a more relaxing drive. Releasing gas earlier to regen more and brake less and keeping it in electric for accelerating. You can drive fast, bot you don't have to.
Appreciate 2
      09-29-2020, 04:12 PM   #78
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You don't have to keep battery for sport mode. As soon as you switch to sport mode it starts to regen more (slow down mode when you release gas) and also charges the battery to (I think) 15% to have enough e boost for a sporty driving style.

The chill electric mode happened to me and others. And it is relaxing. Somehow it encourages to adapt a more relaxing drive. Releasing gas earlier to regen more and brake less and keeping it in electric for accelerating. You can drive fast, bot you don't have to.
Awesome feedback and great to hear!!

This is exactly what I"m hoping for: given we won't be flying any time soon, our plan is to do a lot of road trips. In the past that was infrequent so we rented an SUV and my wife always says "how come you drive so relaxed on these trips but going to the grocery store is like Le Mans??" (I made her go to Le Mans).

Fantastic to hear I can sport-it-up when I want (and it'll do it automagically) and also put it into spa-mode for a more relaxed chill cruise.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2020, 04:30 PM   #79
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Immensely grateful to you all who is contributing on the 45e topic, especially X5 45e. You guys are awesome!

I know the BEVs are the future and wanted to get the 45e to enjoy some electric benefits. For me numbers not adding up for the 45e (lack of tax benefit, added costs, not enough savings etc.). Price difference between 40i and 45e in Ontario Canada is approximately 5700 Euro/$6700 USD/$9000 CDN/$9400 AUD considering home charger installation. Latest recall is giving me a chill as well (pun intended). BMW is relying on Samsung for battery tech, this doesn't inspire confidence either.

Given that BMW is refreshing their models quicker than ever before do you guys think we might see an X5 LCI model as MY22? I don't know where iNext will be positioned. I would like BMW to address 45e's current shortcomings that we have discussed extensively? If no 22MY LCI then I'll conclude my position as either gasoline or BEV. I am not in a rush to buy now, but whatever I buy it'll be a long term purchase (at least 10 years). Would love to hear your opinion.

Here is a latest video of the iNext. Looks smaller than X5 to me and have that huge grill at front.

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 04:30 PM   #80
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:

Awesome feedback and great to hear!!

This is exactly what I"m hoping for: given we won't be flying any time soon, our plan is to do a lot of road trips. In the past that was infrequent so we rented an SUV and my wife always says "how come you drive so relaxed on these trips but going to the grocery store is like Le Mans??" (I made her go to Le Mans).

Fantastic to hear I can sport-it-up when I want (and it'll do it automagically) and also put it into spa-mode for a more relaxed chill cruise.
It even has caring car moods to adapt to your spa mode driving style.

This function you can activate in vitalizing and relaxing mode depending on you state of mind

After a long drive and starting to get tired vitalizing mode will give 3 minutes with an energyzing tune, cold air blowing in a activating pattern, car scent active, seat massage on max, , seat ventilation, opening the shade of the moonroof. It really is vitalizing.

And if you are ready to loose it in a trafic jam you can put is in relax. Relaxing warmer air, seat heating, chillax yoga tune on the radio, gentle massage and relaxing interior colors.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      09-29-2020, 05:47 PM   #81
ketrab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

This function you can activate in vitalizing and relaxing mode depending on you state of mind

After a long drive and starting to get tired vitalizing mode will give 3 minutes with an energyzing tune, cold air blowing in a activating pattern, car scent active, seat massage on max, , seat ventilation, opening the shade of the moonroof. It really is vitalizing.

And if you are ready to loose it in a trafic jam you can put is in relax. Relaxing warmer air, seat heating, chillax yoga tune on the radio, gentle massage and relaxing interior colors.
Am I missing something or are you guys joking? What is this relax mode?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 05:52 PM   #82
ketrab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartSaves View Post
Immensely grateful to you all who is contributing on the 45e topic, especially X5 45e. You guys are awesome!

I know the BEVs are the future and wanted to get the 45e to enjoy some electric benefits. For me numbers not adding up for the 45e (lack of tax benefit, added costs, not enough savings etc.). Price difference between 40i and 45e in Ontario Canada is approximately 5700 Euro/$6700 USD/$9000 CDN/$9400 AUD considering home charger installation. Latest recall is giving me a chill as well (pun intended). BMW is relying on Samsung for battery tech, this doesn't inspire confidence either.

Given that BMW is refreshing their models quicker than ever before do you guys think we might see an X5 LCI model as MY22? I don't know where iNext will be positioned. I would like BMW to address 45e's current shortcomings that we have discussed extensively? If no 22MY LCI then I'll conclude my position as either gasoline or BEV. I am not in a rush to buy now, but whatever I buy it'll be a long term purchase (at least 10 years). Would love to hear your opinion.

Here is a latest video of the iNext. Looks smaller than X5 to me and have that huge grill at front.

Do we have another Asborne Effect case here( including me)..

The federal 7.5k makes a difference definitely making phev no brainier.

Tesla is still using Panasonic and other vendors for their batteries so I wouldn't worry on that part. The recall yes, I'm hoping this is going to be remediated quickly.

As far as body refresh I've noticed that 2. This is going to be the 3rd year correct?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 06:38 PM   #83
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

FWIW, unless you turn on sport mode, the initial operational mode on the 45e is EV mode. It will activate the engine if you request more power than the electric motor can provide. The computer decides which mode, EV, motor, both will work best for your current driving needs and how you have it set. It's pretty seamless when it switches between modes, and the driver's display changes when the engine is on to show the rev counter versus power use.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 06:49 PM   #84
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It even has caring car moods to adapt to your spa mode driving style. ... you can put is in relax. Relaxing warmer air, seat heating, chillax yoga tune on the radio, gentle massage and relaxing interior colors.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      09-29-2020, 08:17 PM   #85
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Am I missing something or are you guys joking? What is this relax mode?
No it is not a joke. It is something you can activate and works for 3 minutes. It creates a vitalizing or relaxing atmosphere in the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 08:22 PM   #86
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:

Do we have another Asborne Effect case here( including me)..

The federal 7.5k makes a difference definitely making phev no brainier.

Tesla is still using Panasonic and other vendors for their batteries so I wouldn't worry on that part. The recall yes, I'm hoping this is going to be remediated quickly.

As far as body refresh I've noticed that 2. This is going to be the 3rd year correct?
I had to look up what Osborne Effect is, yes you got it!

MY22 will be the 4th production year, SOP sometimes in August 2021. It'll feel really bad if we get MY21 and BMW makes substantial updates in MY22.
      09-29-2020, 08:28 PM   #87
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

US X5 45e owners...some data please!

In Europe we only get the rev counter in sport mode. In other modes the power and speed meters turn form blue (electric) to grey to show what engine is active.

The default start up is hybrid but you can set it to start op in electric individual.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 08:48 PM   #88
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 45e & G87 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartSaves View Post
I had to look up what Osborne Effect is, yes you got it!

MY22 will be the 4th production year, SOP sometimes in August 2021. It'll feel really bad if we get MY21 and BMW makes substantial updates in MY22.
Seeing the G30 update this MY, I can almost guarantee you that there will be no substantial changes with the mid-cycle refresh. G05 is already on the latest CLAR modular platform using the latest interior design and iDrive 7.0 infotainment system. It will be very subtle exterior design changes and perhaps making a few options standard and adding a few new options and colors.
Appreciate 0