BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-29-2020, 02:12 PM   #1
Matt27
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

45e charging rate

My 45e keeps changing its charging rate from 16A to 6A as the maximum charge power.

I have a Pod-Point wall unit that is rated at 7kw ( I know that the car will only charge at 3.7kwh, but I wanted to be a little more future proof).

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and/or has any advice on how you determine if the fault is with the car or the charger.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 02:24 PM   #2
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt27 View Post
My 45e keeps changing its charging rate from 16A to 6A as the maximum charge power.

I have a Pod-Point wall unit that is rated at 7kw ( I know that the car will only charge at 3.7kwh, but I wanted to be a little more future proof).

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and/or has any advice on how you determine if the fault is with the car or the charger.

Thanks in advance.
Mine does that sometimes. More or less once every month and I set it back to 10A and it solved. I have 10A as default because I still use the normal bmw charger on 220V. It is good enough for me.

I think it is some kind of in build protection setting it back to 6A if something is wrong with the electric system. If it does it all the time there might be something wrong with your charger. The 7kWh shouldn't be the problem.

Maybe you can try the BMW standard charger on 220 and see if it does the same? If it doesn't it is probably the Pod point.

I have observed that with public chargers it switches automatically to 16A max and switches back to 10A again when I plug in at home.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 02:33 PM   #3
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I have the same problem, and it happens about once or twice a week.
I personally think it's more related to gremlins than features.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 03:43 PM   #4
jcr1962
Rep
Drives: x545e

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Hi
I have same issue and bmw say it's a bug
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 04:34 PM   #5
Flippy_00
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 45e

I charge my car daily with my wall charger (Zappi v2, 7kw) and never have experienced this issue.

I have used an i3 220v home charger once or twice at my dad's house, and it switched to 10A automatically, and when i came home and plugged my regular wall charger, it switched back to 16A.

Works perfectly all the time.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 05:10 PM   #6
Matt27
Rep

Thanks all.

It does sound that it’s likely the fault is with the car rather than the charger then. I have asked if I can swap cars (for charging purposes only!) with my neighbour’s I-Pace to see if I get the same issue with his Chargemaster charger.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 05:37 PM   #7
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Thanks for sharing this. Very helpful for those of us considering getting the 45e. I am eagerly waiting to see how BMW implements the technology in iNext.

My electrician friend isn't too keen on the inverter of 45e, plus the fact that North American models are limited to 17 kWh, and can't use the battery during camping, no 110 outlet ?!?

I wonder why BMW is still catching up, can't get my head around it
      09-02-2020, 03:23 PM   #8
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Would people share what chargers they are using at home and what capabilities people should look for in a charger?

Some questions I have are:
  1. Is it worthwhile to pay for a more expensive charger that has wifi capability and charge scheduling? I think I read that the 45e also has scheduling that can be set. Is it not needed on the charger itself?
  2. One charger I was looking at (ChargePoint Home Flex) has 16 amps as its lowest setting. Can go as high as 50. If the charger is set at 16 and the car resets itself to 6, what would happen?
  3. Are there chargers that are designed more for a PHEV than a full electric?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 04:45 PM   #9
jonjo001
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i3s and G05 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer518 View Post
Would people share what chargers they are using at home and what capabilities people should look for in a charger?

Some questions I have are:
  1. Is it worthwhile to pay for a more expensive charger that has wifi capability and charge scheduling? I think I read that the 45e also has scheduling that can be set. Is it not needed on the charger itself?
  2. One charger I was looking at (ChargePoint Home Flex) has 16 amps as its lowest setting. Can go as high as 50. If the charger is set at 16 and the car resets itself to 6, what would happen?
  3. Are there chargers that are designed more for a PHEV than a full electric?
Lots of interesting questions, and I'm sure there will be plenty of opinions. For me:

I use a Keba P30 C-Series, mainly because it is a seamless fit with my home automation system from Loxone.

1. Only you can decide whether the features are worth it. You can use the app or key to set departure and charging if you want to and the car will manage charging and pre-heating for your departure time.

2. In that case, the car "wins" and will only draw power a 6A. Much as it can be annoying (and I have had the same experience as others) if I plug in when I get to work, it will be charged when I leave and the same if I plug in when I get home. BMW should have put a 7KW or bigger charging capacity in the car if the speed of charging was a something they were concerned about. I think that is one area where Mercedes is better with the 350de; not only did they manage to get a larger battery, to get you 60 miles of range, but it will charge at 60KW, so you can pick up plenty of charge if you take the car out to a mall etc. But that is a whole other discussion and the BMW wins out in so many other areas.

3. Not that I know of. PHEVs just have smaller batteries, as far as charging goes. The clever bit doesn't come from the charger, but rather how the car manages the flow of electricity to the batteries and between and amongst the batteries. I have an i3S as well as a 45e and when you read up about how BMW manages energy around those battery cells it is pretty amazing (I think).
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 04:59 AM   #10
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Mine does that sometimes. More or less once every month and I set it back to 10A and it solved. I have 10A as default because I still use the normal bmw charger on 220V. It is good enough for me.

I think it is some kind of in build protection setting it back to 6A if something is wrong with the electric system. If it does it all the time there might be something wrong with your charger. The 7kWh shouldn't be the problem.

Maybe you can try the BMW standard charger on 220 and see if it does the same? If it doesn't it is probably the Pod point.

I have observed that with public chargers it switches automatically to 16A max and switches back to 10A again when I plug in at home.
I haven't charged my car for a few weeks now. I have to empty my E95 tank
In that time the car switched from 16A to 6A.

So even without charging the switch occurs.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 05:33 AM   #11
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
Quote:

I haven't charged my car for a few weeks now. I have to empty my E95 tank
In that time the car switched from 16A to 6A.

So even without charging the switch occurs.
Good to know. So it is not the charger or home electrical system causing the switch.

And because you are driving on fuel you won't see a switch from electric to hybrid.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 06:10 AM   #12
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Good to know. So it is not the charger or home electrical system causing the switch.

And because you are driving on fuel you won't see a switch from electric to hybrid.
I drive always sport now until the fueltank is empty and I can fill her up with E98.
Several engine tuners advised me to use E98

I checked the charging settings in the car yesterday and it was back at 6 amps.

I don't have a clue what causes it to go from 16 to 6 amps after a while. Just like the sunroof not working. Almost 2 weeks without an issue now. Last time it was 2 days in a row when it gave a problem.

Those damned Gremlins
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 07:52 AM   #13
Wan79
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5 45E

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Hi, currently im using the standard charger that comes with the car(yellow cable 220-240). My home plug that i use for charging has a dedicated 20A circuit breaker. My question is, will it be ok to set the current limit to 10A?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 08:41 AM   #14
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wan79 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Hi, currently im using the standard charger that comes with the car(yellow cable 220-240). My home plug that i use for charging has a dedicated 20A circuit breaker. My question is, will it be ok to set the current limit to 10A?
I am not an electrician or engineer so I can't comment on the technical aspects.

But I have been charging like that for 10 months now without any issues.

I also have it set to 10A. This is the max amp for the home charger.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 08:47 AM   #15
Wan79
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

I am not an electrician or engineer so I can't comment on the technical aspects.

Ok thanks for the reply. 6A current limit is just toooooo long😬😬😬
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 08:51 AM   #16
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Yes 6A is really to long.

Just make sure your home electrical system is ok.

Don't do this with 20 year old cables.

And just to be sure check if the wall socket is getting warm after a couple of hours and when done charging.

Or let an electrician confirm it is ok.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 08:58 AM   #17
Wan79
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Yes 6A is really to long.

Just make sure your home electrical system is ok.

Don't do this with 20 year old cables.

And just to be sure check if the wall socket is getting warm after a couple of hours and when done charging.

Or let an electrician confirm it is ok.
After 21% of charge from 0% the wall socket is warm. But normal warm. The cables are not warm at all. Or would it be safer to lower down the Current to 8/9A?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 09:12 AM   #18
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
After 21% of charge from 0% the wall socket is warm. But normal warm. The cables are not warm at all. Or would it be safer to lower down the Current to 8/9A?
Mine has been charging for 2 hours now and the socket is not warm. I don't feel a temperature difference when I compare to another socket in my garage.

There is a lot of current going through
for 10 hours.

If you are not sure better keep it at 6A. I don't want to be responsible for burning your house down.
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      11-03-2020, 09:15 AM   #19
Wan79
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Mine has been charging for 2 hours now and the socket is not warm. I don't feel a temperature difference when I compare to another socket in my garage.

for 10 hours.

If you are not sure better keep it at 6A. I don't want to be responsible for burning your house down.
To my understanding, if there is a problem the circuit breaker will out cut off? Or the car will auto select 6A if there is a problem?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 09:36 AM   #20
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

for 10 hours.

To my understanding, if there is a problem the circuit breaker will out cut off? Or the car will auto select 6A if there is a problem?
Mine goes back to 6A spontaneously sometimes. Seems to be a bug.

I hope it will be solved with 11/2020 update.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 09:44 AM   #21
amus3d
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 530e, X5 45e

I just picked up my car and I'm experiencing the same charging issue. The car by default is set at 12A. I have a 30A charger but it is charging at ignoring the 12A limit and charging at 16A.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 09:52 AM   #22
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amu3ed View Post
I just picked up my car and I'm experiencing the same charging issue. The car by default is set at 12A. I have a 30A charger but it is charging at ignoring the 12A limit and charging at 16A.
The default is 6A at delivery.

I have mine set to 10A for charging at home with the normal BMW charger. I don't have a wall charger.

However when I plug in to a public charger it automatically switches to 16A. When getting home a plugging in with my normal charger it is back to 10A. Sounds like this is what you experience?
Appreciate 0