11-15-2020, 02:02 PM   #1
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Need coding help for annoying auto locking doors

Hi all,

I'm requesting some assistance in coding my wife's X7. I didn't see a coding section in the X7 forum, but figure the X5 community will still be able to help and likely has more active members anyhow. Side note - why can't Bimmerpost have a single coding section instead of one for each vehicle chassis so more people can view the posts and offer help?

Using Bimmercode and a newly purchase OBD adapter (vgate vLinker MC+ Bluetooth as recommended by Bimmercode for the X7), I was able to connect and successfully code out a few of the annoying features e.g. passenger side-view mirror tilt on reverse, auto start/stop reset, etc.

Here's my question:

How do I code out the automatic locking of the doors? This car has been annoying the absolute hell out of both of us due to the doors locking all the time. If we forgot one of the kids' toys, a wallet, purse, etc. and walk into the garage to go grab something from inside the car, the doors are ALWAYS locked.

In regular coding mode (not Expert Mode), I was able to increase the "auto locking door" timer to the max of 10 minutes, but this only applies if the doors were locked and then unlocked without anyone opening any of the doors afterwards - if no one opens the door, the doors will automatically re-lock after 10 minutes. This feature still doesn't solve our problem because as soon as the person with a key in their pocket walks inside the house, the doors lock themselves and the other person has to scream inside the house, "HEY WILL YOU UNLOCK THESE STUPID DOORS PLEASE??!" LOL

Can someone teach me where in Expert Mode I can find the parameters to eliminate auto-locking the doors? I want to set it so that if the doors are unlocked, they stay unlocked forever. I do not want comfort access to automatically lock the doors when I walk away with the key in my pocket, and I do not want a 10-minute limit before the doors re-lock themselves.

Also, I'm not sure what is happening, but there are times when only the driver's door is unlocked, but the rest of the doors remain locked. I want to ensure that every time the car is put in Park, all the doors automatically unlock and stay unlocked forever.

HELP PLEASE! This car is annoying the shit out of us.
      11-15-2020, 02:14 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

No coding is needed, just looking at the manual.

Turn off locking when the key is out of range:

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 1.11.19 PM.png
Views: 1794
Size:  58.2 KB

Turn off locking after no activity:

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 1.13.09 PM.png
Views: 1693
Size:  67.6 KB

Unlock after shutdown:

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 1.16.33 PM.png
Views: 1694
Size:  53.5 KB
Appreciate 1
LexxM31697.50
      11-15-2020, 02:37 PM   #3
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep

Another coding question - Where in Expert Mode can I stop the Comfort Access from auto-folding the side view mirrors? When I'm hand washing the X7, the mirrors continually fold and unfold the entire time. Very frustrating when I'm trying to shampoo/rinse/dry the mirrors and they keep folding so I cannot get to them.

With my M240i, I was able to easily code this feature out and make it so the mirrors only fold when I press the lock button on my key fob. I want to do the same with the X7.

Thanks!
      11-15-2020, 02:38 PM   #4
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep

@TurtleBoy,

You are my freakin' hero! LOL. Going to go mess with it right now and will let you know how it went in just a few moments...

Cheers!
      11-15-2020, 02:46 PM   #5
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
@TurtleBoy,

You are my freakin' hero! LOL. Going to go mess with it right now and will let you know how it went in just a few moments...

Cheers!
As I will mention in the thread you created where you mishandled the wipers and caused damage, you really need to take a few hours and read the manual at least twice. There are many features and "must-do's" with these vehicles. In order to save yourself from further frustration and possible expense, please take the time to review it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
VTENGR1045.00
      11-15-2020, 02:52 PM   #6
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep

Okay, I just set all the iDrive door settings to my liking, but now I have 2 problems:

1. The auto fold/unfold mirror when locking/unlocking is set to OFF, but now the mirrors don't fold ever. Per my 2nd post above, I want the mirrors to fold when I push the LOCK button the key fob, but I do not want them to fold/unfold via Comfort Access due to the annoyance described above while washing the car.

2. The car no longer detects that I've stepped out of the car and closed the door, so the radio stays on until I manually lock the car. Before, it would detect when I stepped out and closed the door, and the radio would shut off automatically. I do not want the radio to stay on and draw attention to the car if I were to walk away temporarily with the doors unlocked. My M240i is easy to code so the radio turns off as soon as the door is opened after shutting off the engine.
      11-15-2020, 02:55 PM   #7
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

No coding is needed for number 2.

Edit: I assume you will get it but #1 is not a problem for you anymore since you turned off comfort access. Just turn the folding on and you will be fine since you turned off the comfort locking.

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 11-15-2020 at 03:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 03:10 PM   #8
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
No coding is needed for number 2.

Edit: I assume you will get it but #1 is not a problem for you anymore since you turned off comfort access. Just turn the folding on and you will be fine since you turned off the comfort locking.
Sorry, I do not follow.

For #1, it is still a problem because I DO want the mirrors to auto-fold, but only when I press the LOCK button on the key fob. I still want Comfort Access to lock the doors, but I don't want Comfort Access to auto-fold the mirrors. Again, on my 2-series, I was able to individually disable the "auto-fold on Comfort Access" setting. They still folded, however, when I pressed the lock button on the key fob. This way, I didn't have to worry about the mirrors folding on accident while washing the car, but I could still have them fold w/ the key fob when I park in a parking lot and want to keep the car as narrow as possible to reduce likelihood of someone hitting my mirrors.

For #2, why do you say no coding is needed? The problem is now that the radio is staying on when I'm not in the car. I want the radio to turn off if the engine is off and I'm not in the car. I don't want to have to remember to lock the door just to shut the radio off. I was able to code this on my 2-series so the radio would simply turn off once the door was opened.
      11-15-2020, 03:10 PM   #9
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
of the annoying features e.g. passenger side-view mirror tilt on reverse, auto start/stop reset, etc.
Just putting the mirror selector switch in the driver side door on the driver side mirror also switches this feature of. No coding needed
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 03:14 PM   #10
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

I have turned off auto locking and in locking. Hated it. I just open the door with the handle and close it by pushing on the handle. Key stay in my pocket. This works much better for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 03:15 PM   #11
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I do not follow.

For #1, it is still a problem because I DO want the mirrors to auto-fold, but only when I press the LOCK button on the key fob. I still want Comfort Access to lock the doors, but I don't want Comfort Access to auto-fold the mirrors. Again, on my 2-series, I was able to individually disable the "auto-fold on Comfort Access" setting. They still folded, however, when I pressed the lock button on the key fob. This way, I didn't have to worry about the mirrors folding on accident while washing the car, but I could still have them fold w/ the key fob when I park in a parking lot and want to keep the car as narrow as possible to reduce likelihood of someone hitting my mirrors.

For #2, why do you say no coding is needed? The problem is now that the radio is staying on when I'm not in the car. I want the radio to turn off if the engine is off and I'm not in the car. I don't want to have to remember to lock the door just to shut the radio off. I was able to code this on my 2-series so the radio would simply turn off once the door was opened.
You are going back and forth between what you want, please make up your mind. Your original post was concerning stopping comfort access from locking the doors. You achieved that so now the mirrors will not fold because of that, just turn the folding back on.

As far as #2 is concerned, because the option is clearly spelled out in the manual so I was giving you the opportunity to look it up.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 03:26 PM   #12
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You are going back and forth between what you want, please make up your mind. Your original post was concerning stopping comfort access from locking the doors. You achieved that so now the mirrors will not fold because of that, just turn the folding back on.

As far as #2 is concerned, because the option is clearly spelled out in the manual so I was giving you the opportunity to look it up.
Not true. Auto-locking is not the same thing as Comfort Access locking by pressing the ribbed portion on the door handle.

I am happy the Auto-locking is now disabled i.e. the car no longer locks automatically when it detects me walking away from the car with the key in my pocket.

However, Comfort Access continues to work as it should where if I press the ribbed portion of the door handle, it will lock and unlock. Everything is good here.

The problem is the auto-folding of the mirror ON COMFORT ACCESS ONLY. I do not want to disable auto-folding for all situations, which I was clear about in my previous posts.

There must be a coding setting just like on my 2-series where I can "Disable auto-folding of mirrors on Comfort Access" only. However, it looks like for the X7, I have to go into Expert Mode in the Bimmercode app, which makes things much more difficult being written in German language.

Does anyone know which specific setting in Expert Mode controls this auto-fold function for COMFORT ACCESS ONLY?
      11-15-2020, 03:27 PM   #13
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Now I see what you mean in regards to #2. Sorry, I missed this part of your post before. I will look at the manual/iDrive for this setting.

Thank you.
      11-15-2020, 03:33 PM   #14
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Not true. Auto-locking is not the same thing as Comfort Access locking by pressing the ribbed portion on the door handle.

I am happy the Auto-locking is now disabled i.e. the car no longer locks automatically when it detects me walking away from the car with the key in my pocket.

However, Comfort Access continues to work as it should where if I press the ribbed portion of the door handle, it will lock and unlock. Everything is good here.

The problem is the auto-folding of the mirror ON COMFORT ACCESS ONLY. I do not want to disable auto-folding for all situations, which I was clear about in my previous posts.

There must be a coding setting just like on my 2-series where I can "Disable auto-folding of mirrors on Comfort Access" only. However, it looks like for the X7, I have to go into Expert Mode in the Bimmercode app, which makes things much more difficult being written in German language.

Does anyone know which specific setting in Expert Mode controls this auto-fold function for COMFORT ACCESS ONLY?
Okay, you are the expert as you have clearly shown. Good luck buddy.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 03:38 PM   #15
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Okay, you are the expert as you have clearly shown. Good luck buddy.
Why are you getting salty? I was clear about what was happening and what I was looking to achieve, and you felt the need to fire shots by saying "make up your mind" and "you are going back and forth on what you want." I have made up my mind on what I want. Please read again.

And now because I am simply trying to clarify on the one thing you were obviously not understanding, you want to abandon the thread and leave on bad terms with your feelings hurt? Nice.

If you cannot help on the last point, then just say so and maybe direct me elsewhere. No need to act like that, however.
      11-15-2020, 03:45 PM   #16
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Never mind ...

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 11-15-2020 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 03:50 PM   #17
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
I don't have the answer to this.
But if car washing is your only concern, just enable auto-folding, and put your car key/key fob inside the car while washing your car. The door locking and mirror auto folding would not happen when your car key is inside the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 04:22 PM   #18
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep

Okay, I just did some experimenting, and it seems that even though I have the auto fold/unfold turned off in iDrive, the mirrors will actually still fold if I hold my finger on the ribbed area of the door handle long enough (about 3 seconds).

I don't think this will cause any issues while washing if the key is in my pocket, and it actually solves my problem because even though the mirrors won't auto fold when locking with the key fob, it gives me an option to still fold the mirrors manually by pressing and holding for 3 seconds after I exit the vehicle.

Last edited by CP911; 11-15-2020 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 04:38 PM   #19
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
But if car washing is your only concern, just enable auto-folding, and put your car key/key fob inside the car while washing your car. The door locking and mirror auto folding would not happen when your car key is inside the car.
Wow, sometimes the best solutions are the easiest. LOL. I just tried this and it works. Not sure why, but I just never felt comfortable leaving my key in the car while standing outside washing it. I've been paranoid that comfort access would somehow still activate or an auto-lock timer feature would somehow accidentally lock my key in the car. Maybe it still would if the auto-lock feature is enabled??? Not sure, but I'm leaving auto-lock off either way due to the other inconveniences it causes, so this could be the best solution in the end.

Thank you!
      11-15-2020, 09:08 PM   #20
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Want to make a little wager on that statement? I can get the car to lock with the key in the car without even trying. Ask me how and I will tell you all about it.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 08:37 AM   #21
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Sorry, I do not follow.

Just don't keep the key in your pocket while washing the car so comfort access doesn't do its thing.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 01:07 AM   #22
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Unless you have the selection turned on, autolocking will only happen if you unlock the vehicle, but never open a door...after a delay, it will relock itself. Otherwise, if you DO open a door after unlocking, it will stay unlocked until you tell it to lock.

Aren't computers wonderful?! I think they put that in in the situation where you may have accidentially unlocked it unknowingly. Since the fob is outside, there's no harm in relocking it.

Note, if you read the manual, if you're inside the vehicle and the door is locked, you CAN get out, but if you don't press the interior unlock button, you have to pull on the release TWO times...the second time it will open...the first resets the mechanism so it can work the next time. Now, if you're in the back and the child lock is on...the only way to open it is from outside, and then, it must be unlocked.
Appreciate 0