BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-16-2020, 06:56 PM   #1
martinf79
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 X5 M50i

Bimmercode Disabled Assisted Driving Plus

Hi All - So I finally took my X5 in for its first scheduled service appointment. While taking it in, I also let the service advisor know of the error I continue to receive when ever I try to engage the full autonomous driving mode while in stop and go traffic on the highway (via Assisted Driving Plus). I showed him the error message (below). Net-Net, he said that the car had to be recoded, because the module that controls the Drivers Attention Camera Module was changed/altered. Essentially, something I had coded via the Bimmercode app caused this feature to disable. I suspect any coding tied to the drivers attention camera caused the coding error. The only things I coded that could be tied to this would be:

1 - Removing the legal disclaimers (cameras, startup, etc) OR
2 - Video In Motion

Only other things I've coded were M logo on start-up, rear hatch, mirrors, no honk when car locked while running, etc ... none of which should have anything to do with the drivers attention camera.

Just checking in to see if anyone knows definitively what coding option would have cause the Drivers Attention Camera module to change + to warn others that this could happen if you have Assisted Driving Plus. I want to re-code all of the other features, so hoping someone can shed light on this.

Appreciate it.
Attached Images

11-17-2020, 02:47 AM   #2
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

HU_MGU\LENKASSISTENT_DCS must be gen1/aktiv
SASx\C_HOO_Vorhanden should be standby or nostandby, but not 'nicht_vorhanden'

Don't activate LENKASSISTENT_PLUS in HU_MGU or the camera will deactivate

You cant code SAS with BC so not likely to be that code

Do you have the DAC enabled in idrive main settings, and does it appear listed in Settings-Driver Assistance-Steering?
Appreciate 2
LexxM31697.50
maximking107.50
      11-17-2020, 06:36 PM   #3
martinf79
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post

Do you have the DAC enabled in idrive main settings, and does it appear listed in Settings-Driver Assistance-Steering?
Quote:

I appreciate the response. I'm using BimmerCode via iOS app, feels like your reco's would only be an option via eSys? Or perhaps in BimmerCode expert mode?

Any idea if any of the feature options in BimmerCode would directly alter any of those modules you referenced? I basically just want to avoid them if they do, while coding the others.
      11-18-2020, 03:19 AM   #4
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

The SAS settings would only be applicable with esys, the HU_MGU would need BC in expert mode.

I don't use BC but I find it highly unlikely that any of the stock coding would break the DAC. Did you check the idrive settings I mentioned?

"Do you have the DAC enabled in idrive main settings, and does it appear listed in Settings-Driver Assistance-Steering?"

The actual Driver Camera configuration ECU is DCS01 (475C) but I can't see BC touching that?
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2020, 06:01 AM   #5
xigolle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Maybe weird and a little bit offtopic but is it possible to Enable this feature in Europe ?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 06:20 AM   #6
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xigolle View Post
Maybe weird and a little bit offtopic but is it possible to Enable this feature in Europe ?
I haven't figured out how to do it.

The feature can be enabled in coding, but there is a hard region block based on the cars gps location that prevents it from activating.

It's also a nightmare to test for obvious reasons.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 09:27 AM   #7
martinf79
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The SAS settings would only be applicable with esys, the HU_MGU would need BC in expert mode.

I don't use BC but I find it highly unlikely that any of the stock coding would break the DAC. Did you check the idrive settings I mentioned?

"Do you have the DAC enabled in idrive main settings, and does it appear listed in Settings-Driver Assistance-Steering?"

The actual Driver Camera configuration ECU is DCS01 (475C) but I can't see BC touching that?
Quote:

Yes, I have it enabled.

It was working for some time... and then I did some coding via BC, and it started giving me the error. I'm only going by the dealer stating that the module for the camera had changed.
Attached Images

11-18-2020, 09:29 AM   #8
martinf79
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinf79 View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Yes, I have it enabled.

It was working for some time... and then I did some coding via BC, and it started giving me the error. I'm only going by the dealer stating that the module for the camera had changed.
Quote:

I just think there may be some contingencies on the legal disclaimers and/or video in motion that require the camera to be disabled in order for them to work... that's the only thing (ie if condition A is met, disable B)? Or does it not work that way?
      11-18-2020, 09:43 AM   #9
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Yes, I have it enabled.

Quote:

I just think there may be some contingencies on the legal disclaimers and/or video in motion that require the camera to be disabled in order for them to work... that's the only thing (ie if condition A is met, disable B)? Or does it not work that way?
Lots of people have turned on video in motion and turned off disclaimers with no ill side effects whatsoever. Using both Bimmercode and direct ESys coding. In fact, I think this is the first assertion ever that there was a DAC effect. It may be that coding changed, but at this point it is overwhelmingly likely that was due to a BMW bug than Bimmercode. The dealer could easily be just taking a flying guess since updating fixed it — it's not like service techs have a culture or any motivation to get to actual root causes.
      11-18-2020, 09:49 AM   #10
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Yep unlikely to be coding.

Of course you could back out your BC changes to stock, and see if the issue persists.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 10:07 AM   #11
martinf79
Captain
Rep

Thanks all ... I still don't actually know if Assisted Driving Plus now works, as its hard to get the conditions right to test it.
      11-19-2020, 02:23 AM   #12
xigolle
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I haven't figured out how to do it.

The feature can be enabled in coding, but there is a hard region block based on the cars gps location that prevents it from activating.

It's also a nightmare to test for obvious reasons.
Aaaah to bad if you haven't found out how to get it working nobody did I think
Hopefully this comes to europe one day because my previous car actually had this kind of functionality.
So I would find it strange that it would be a "legal thing".
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 03:09 AM   #13
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Aaaah to bad if you haven't found out how to get it working nobody did I think
Hopefully this comes to europe one day because my previous car actually had this kind of functionality.
So I would find it strange that it would be a "legal thing".
It's definitely a legal block for the EU.
Which of your previous cars had the functionality? Even Tesla's force hands on every X seconds in the EU.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 03:13 AM   #14
xigolle
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It's definitely a legal block for the EU.
Which of your previous cars had the functionality? Even Tesla's force hands on every X seconds in the EU.
My previous Audi A5 Sportback from 2018.
It has a feature call traffic jam assist and is actived under the 65km.
It still prompts you to keep your hands on the wheel after an extended period of time.
But instead of after 30-40s it can easily take a few minutes until you need to juggle the wheel.
In this mode it will more actively steer/control the car.
As also you can keep your hands longer of the steering wheel.
Which sounds like the same function as what BMW is offering in the US.
Here is a piece of the manual:
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 03:33 AM   #15
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
My previous Audi A5 Sportback from 2018.
It has a feature call traffic jam assist and is actived under the 65km.
It still prompts you to keep your hands on the wheel after an extended period of time.
But instead of after 30-40s it can easily take a few minutes until you need to juggle the wheel.
In this mode it will more actively steer/control the car.
As also you can keep your hands longer of the steering wheel.
Thanks.

No it's not the same and thats the rub. The BMW system will drive for hours/indefinitely without any user interaction on either the steering wheel or pedals as long as the speed remains under 40mph.

The Audi system may have increased tolerances and length of time before engagement, but the user has to take control at set intervals. Indeed it's encouraged that the user keeps their hands on the wheel at all times - a note to the regulators no doubt
With the BMW eTJA the user does not have to take control.

There are talks in the UK to change legislation to allow indefinite hands-free up to 70mph, which would unblock this and some future features.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 06:18 AM   #16
Baron G15
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G15 8 Series, Audi Q8

Quote:
Thanks.

No it's not the same and thats the rub. The BMW system will drive for hours/indefinitely without any user interaction on either the steering wheel or pedals as long as the speed remains under 40mph.

The Audi system may have increased tolerances and length of time before engagement, but the user has to take control at set intervals. Indeed it's encouraged that the user keeps their hands on the wheel at all times - a note to the regulators no doubt
With the BMW eTJA the user does not have to take control.

There are talks in the UK to change legislation to allow indefinite hands-free up to 70mph, which would unblock this and some future features.
I certainly wouldn’t feel comfortable not having my hands on an Audi steering wheel....I’ve got a Q8 and it’s steering assistant is pretty ropey....bend management is several generations behind BMW’s....it gets itself in to trouble (ie mid bend) and then hands back control...BMW is better at anticipating a layout beyond its capability. It’s one of the few annoying aspects on what is otherwise a fantastic vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 11:26 PM   #17
Tchacha
Rep
Drives: 435i xDrive GC, X7

I had this problem pop up after using BimmerCode on my X7. It was due to a change in one of the parameters in the Receiver Audio Module. I went back and restored the original backup file and the issue went away.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 01:11 PM   #18
M42
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Must be issue with new idrive update. I also had many issues with coding Reciever Audio Moudle.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 06:17 AM   #19
MARKPRIOR
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 M6 GC

for anyone experiencing this,

Receiver Audio Module

changing to rolls royce broke it for me

Changing back to standard solved

Previous:2014 640D GC 383BHP + 733NM, F10 2010 530d 520i (2000), E36 comact 318i, E46 M3, E46 318Ci, X5,
Non BMW: 5x Skyline / GTRs, 5x Supras, 2x Nissan 200sx s14a, lots of other stuff
Appreciate 2
sac0249.50
M4212.00