BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-16-2020, 07:04 PM   #1
M50iStiller
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i Xdrive

ANOTHER M50i on order/built

I am so excited to join this club. Looked at the SQ8, Cayenne, Trackhawk and the F-Pace SVR. Decided on the m50i after a test drive and months of research. This will be my first BMW.

Here is the build:

2021 X5 M50I
Mineral White Metallic
Black Extended Merino Leather
DRIVERS ASSISTANCE PRO PKG
PARKING ASSISTANCE PACKAGE
2-axle air suspension
22" M Double-spoke black 742M
Anthracite Alcantara Headliner
Carbon Fiber trim
Extended Shadowline Trim
Front and Rear Heated Seats
Front massaging seats
Htd Fr Seats Armrests / S Whl
Space-saver spare

I am very impressed how quickly things went. My dealer originally gave me a week 49 build but got it traded in for a 47. Ordered the vehicle on 10/23. Stayed in "scheduled for production" for several weeks. In "production begins" all last week, and on 11/14 it jumped into production. As of right now (11/16) it is through production and "awaiting carrier assignment". Called my dealer and he told me it is scheduled to be shipped on the 18th and should arrive at the dealer on 11/20.

I'll probably take deliver the weekend after Thanksgiving since my dealer is doing a ceramic coat.

I have been VERY impressed by this timeline. Fingers crossed on a smooth transport and delivery!!
Attached Images

22 992 GTS - 14 F-Type V8S
Appreciate 3
themnmd1687.00
GOLFFRR10722.50
MissVito205.50
      11-16-2020, 11:48 PM   #2
alewifebp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Garage List
2024 i5 M60  [0.00]
Nice build. Looks like a lot of us ordered around the same time and our orders are coming through faster than expected.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 07:48 AM   #3
M50iMWGuy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M50iStiller View Post
I am so excited to join this club. Looked at the SQ8, Cayenne, Trackhawk and the F-Pace SVR. Decided on the m50i after a test drive and months of research. This will be my first BMW.
Nice build, very similar to mine (Week 49... but just started production yesterday - yay!).

I also test drive a SQ8 (I previously owned a 2018 SQ5 which I absolutely loved - had sport diff and air suspension). The SQ8 was just not nearly as exciting as I would have expected and I didn't care for the way it drove - under hard acceleration the rear end "squatted" too much and made it feel like a boat (very long front end from driving position). I looked at the Cayenne (GTS - overpriced for its size and power) and F-Pace SVR (exhaust sounds amazing) as well but for various reasons ruled those out.

I am most looking forward to the combo of 2-axle air suspension and a V8 with low-end torque. One of the big criticisms of true M SUVs (I am looking at you, X3M) is that they compromise around-town ride quality for sheer handling performance. The M50i seems to be the best compromise in that area (with all suspension options, not just Air). Also, the X3M has a lack of torque between 0-2,500RPM that is a common complaint as well, which should not be present in the M50i platform.
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2020, 07:06 PM   #4
M50iStiller
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M50iMWGuy View Post
Nice build, very similar to mine (Week 49... but just started production yesterday - yay!).

I also test drive a SQ8 (I previously owned a 2018 SQ5 which I absolutely loved - had sport diff and air suspension). The SQ8 was just not nearly as exciting as I would have expected and I didn't care for the way it drove - under hard acceleration the rear end "squatted" too much and made it feel like a boat (very long front end from driving position). I looked at the Cayenne (GTS - overpriced for its size and power) and F-Pace SVR (exhaust sounds amazing) as well but for various reasons ruled those out.

I am most looking forward to the combo of 2-axle air suspension and a V8 with low-end torque. One of the big criticisms of true M SUVs (I am looking at you, X3M) is that they compromise around-town ride quality for sheer handling performance. The M50i seems to be the best compromise in that area (with all suspension options, not just Air). Also, the X3M has a lack of torque between 0-2,500RPM that is a common complaint as well, which should not be present in the M50i platform.
Couldn't have said it better myself. In on the M50i + air suspension for all of the reasons you suggested. Plus this will be my wife's car and she is coming from a Grand Cherokee with air suspension. I may have considered the DHP more if it was my daily. I think having the 742ms will help offset the "softness" of the air ride. We test drove an SQ7 and thought kind of the same. It was fast but rode like a Cadillac. Some people like that I guess. We drove the SVR too. It was fast - but reminded me too much of a small crossover SUV. Too small for my liking.

The M50i torque is impressive. I have an SRT JGC and the low end torque feel on the m50i are night and day.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 07:51 AM   #5
M50iMWGuy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Couldn't have said it better myself. In on the M50i + air suspension for all of the reasons you suggested. Plus this will be my wife's car and she is coming from a Grand Cherokee with air suspension. I may have considered the DHP more if it was my daily. I think having the 742ms will help offset the "softness" of the air ride. We test drove an SQ7 and thought kind of the same. It was fast but rode like a Cadillac. Some people like that I guess. We drove the SVR too. It was fast - but reminded me too much of a small crossover SUV. Too small for my liking.

The M50i torque is impressive. I have an SRT JGC and the low end torque feel on the m50i are night and day.
Unfortunately I didn't get to drive the SQ7, which my Audi guy said was a better overall experience than the SQ8. That said, my wife's daily is a 2019 Q7 with air suspension and 4-wheel steering. It does drive a bit soft (even in S) but handles reasonably well all things considered. The SQ8 is nice looking but the SQ7 is just, well, boring.

I expect the M50i in Sport Plus should be plenty firm and planted for what I want from the car. I've also seen where you can swap out the linkages and get even more travel from your air suspension. I went with the 740 tire/wheel because the tire options seem much better - and I can always swap with aftermarket if I am unhappy with them long term.
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2020, 09:40 AM   #6
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Thats a nice build. Looking forward to seeing your review and also pics of the new ride

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2020, 10:37 AM   #7
M50iStiller
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks guys - the vehicle is currently in transit. Hopeful to get you all some pictures by the end of next week w/ a fresh ceramic coat!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 06:18 PM   #8
MissVito
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 M60i, M240ix

Quote:

Here is the build:

2021 X5 M50I
Mineral White Metallic
Black Extended Merino Leather
DRIVERS ASSISTANCE PRO PKG
PARKING ASSISTANCE PACKAGE
2-axle air suspension
22" M Double-spoke black 742M
Anthracite Alcantara Headliner
Carbon Fiber trim
Extended Shadowline Trim
Front and Rear Heated Seats
Front massaging seats
Htd Fr Seats Armrests / S Whl
Space-saver spare

I am very impressed how quickly things went. My dealer originally gave me a week 49 build but got it traded in for a 47. Ordered the vehicle on 10/23. Stayed in "scheduled for production" for several weeks. In "production begins" all last week, and on 11/14 it jumped into production. As of right now (11/16) it is through production and "awaiting carrier assignment". Called my dealer and he told me it is scheduled to be shipped on the 18th and should arrive at the dealer on 11/20.

I'll probably take deliver the weekend after Thanksgiving since my dealer is doing a ceramic coat.

I have been VERY impressed by this timeline. Fingers crossed on a smooth transport and delivery!!
Nice!!! I have Mineral White on my 2014 X5...love it!
'14 X5 s35i Lux Line Mineral White/Mocha (re-homed)
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2020, 08:03 PM   #9
M50iStiller
Enlisted Member
Rep

AT THE DEALERSHIP
Appreciate 0