BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-21-2020, 09:56 AM   #1
solaraxis
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 X5 50i

Help! Coding Failed and no backup

I brought my car in for service and all my coded settings were reset to the original factory. So I tried to code the instrument cluster like I have done so many times in the past and while it was coding the app kicked me out back to the main connect screen. I had to reconnect and when I got back to the main menu, it is showing coding data invalid and when I try to look for a backup there are no backups. I'm not too sure why it didn't recreate a backup like it normally does.

I don’t know how to resolve this problem because I no longer have a back up. Please if anybody here could give me some insight on what I should do. Because the heads up display no longer works, fuel gauge indicator and a whole host of errors is now popping up.
Attached Images

Gone: 2007 E92 335i AW
Gone: 1999 E46 328i TS
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 10:02 AM   #2
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

I wish I could help. This is one of my worst fears when coding my cars. I have never used expert or advanced mode for fear of having this happen. Were you using expert mode?

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 10:09 AM   #3
solaraxis
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin1249 View Post
I wish I could help. This is one of my worst fears when coding my cars. I have never used expert or advanced mode for fear of having this happen. Were you using expert mode?
My fear as well. I was not using expert mode. I still don't understand why it didn't create a backup.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 08:34 PM   #4
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

I hate Bimmercode for this reason, and why I use ESYS. DO you have a windows computer and ENET Cable? If so i can help you recover it
Appreciate 1
Chuck W.356.00
      11-21-2020, 10:34 PM   #5
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 GO5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboM4 View Post
I hate Bimmercode for this reason, and why I use ESYS. DO you have a windows computer and ENET Cable? If so i can help you recover it
I had this happen as well. Same unit. I am sure bimmercode automatically makes a backup prior to letting you write your changes.

I turned everything off: phone, car, etc and waited about 20 minutes, unplugged the dongle. Then I reconnected and tried to read the unit again . It failed but I was then able to restore the previous coding and everything worked fine.

From memory (this was about 12 mths ago), I had a restore option come up by pressing a three dot menu once I had tried to read the bad unit again. I am on Android.

I hope this helps. I am sure if you play around with Bimmercode you will find the backup.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 11:11 PM   #6
solaraxis
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSMC55 View Post
I had this happen as well. Same unit. I am sure bimmercode automatically makes a backup prior to letting you write your changes.

I turned everything off: phone, car, etc and waited about 20 minutes, unplugged the dongle. Then I reconnected and tried to read the unit again . It failed but I was then able to restore the previous coding and everything worked fine.

From memory (this was about 12 mths ago), I had a restore option come up by pressing a three dot menu once I had tried to read the bad unit again. I am on Android.

I hope this helps. I am sure if you play around with Bimmercode you will find the backup.
Unfortunately, I'm not as lucky as you. I tried a few times today and just now and there is no back up to be found.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 11:13 PM   #7
solaraxis
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
CaboM4, Just send you a PM.

Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 11:31 PM   #8
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

We're you guys using Apple/IOS or Android versions of Bimmercode where you've had these issues?

I've always used the Android version which is at V3.3.3.7231, and this seems to work well with the recent OTA upgrade to 07/2020.54.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 12:45 AM   #9
solaraxis
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
We're you guys using Apple/IOS or Android versions of Bimmercode where you've had these issues?

I've always used the Android version which is at V3.3.3.7231, and this seems to work well with the recent OTA upgrade to 07/2020.54.
I am using IOS version of Bimmercode with the OTA 07/2020.60
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 11:22 AM   #10
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaraxis View Post

Thanks!!!
replied.

In my long-term coding experience (began in 2009 with F01 7er), I have become very comfortable and experienced using ESYS. I bought the BimmerCode and BimmerLink apps and related Bluetooth adapter when they came on the scene ... but really only used it for iDrive 5/6 Video in Motion when ESYS coding had limited that to 40 mph. I've been "lazy" a few times over the years and wanted to make a quick coding tweaks so i resorted to BimmerCode instead of getting my coding setup on my laptop booted up

I've found that why Bimmercode is unreliable is due to the interface. The Bluetooth is unreliable for ECUs with large data ... ie. BDC and will often crash leaving situations like this where the ECU is corrupted and needs to be recovered with the "Detect CAF for SWE" feature in ESYS ... similar to what is done for brand new parts which I've retrofitted over the years to various vehicles ... or helped people with coding "donor" parts to their cars. It's a pretty reliable fix 99% of the time can recover these situations caused by the Bluetooth interface used with ESYS

Stephen has provided an update in Bimmercode I'm guessing about 1 year ago now and you can use a traditional ENET Cable with your iOS or Android device. I have used this recently and I am impressed at how quick and reliable BimmerCode is with using this interface. It's the ONLY way I will ever user BimmerCode/BimmerLink moving forward.

My iPad PRO has a USB-C connector and first tried there. Bought an Ethernet to lightning adapter for my iPhone ... results are the same. Long story short, if you insist on using BimmerCode instead of ESYS, then get yourself a ENET Cable and appropriate adapter cable for your device to add an Ethernet port and use it in this manner.... never use one of the wireless interfaces again, and you should not experience these issues moving forward.

Last edited by CaboM4; 11-25-2020 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: Corrected name of ESYS procedure
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18168.50
aMIC31.00
      11-22-2020, 11:51 AM   #11
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!!!
replied.

In my long-term coding experience (began in 2009 with F01 7er), I have become very comfortable and experienced using ESYS. I bought the BimmerCode and BimmerLink apps and related Bluetooth adapter when they came on the scene ... but really only used it for iDrive 5/6 Video in Motion when ESYS coding had limited that to 40 mph. I've been "lazy" a few times over the years and wanted to make a quick coding tweaks so i resorted to BimmerCode instead of getting my coding setup on my laptop booted up

I've found that why Bimmercode is unreliable is due to the interface. The Bluetooth is unreliable for ECUs with large data ... ie. BDC and will often crash leaving situations like this where the ECU is corrupted and needs to be recovered with the "Inject CAFD for SWE" feature in ESYS ... similar to what is done for brand new parts which I've retrofitted over the years to various vehicles ... or helped people with coding "donor" parts to their cars. It's a pretty reliable fix 99% of the time can recover these situations caused by the Bluetooth interface used with ESYS

Stephen has provided an update in Bimmercode I'm guessing about 1 year ago now and you can use a traditional ENET Cable with your iOS or Android device. I have used this recently and I am impressed at how quick and reliable BimmerCode is with using this interface. It's the ONLY way I will ever user BimmerCode/BimmerLink moving forward.

My iPad PRO has a USB-C connector and first tried there. Bought an Ethernet to lightning adapter for my iPhone ... results are the same. Long story short, if you insist on using BimmerCode instead of ESYS, then get yourself a ENET Cable and appropriate adapter cable for your device to add an Ethernet port and use it in this manner.... never use one of the wireless interfaces again, and you should not experience these issues moving forward.
While I don't doubt your experience in the least, you should update yourself on modern experiences by reading about Bimmercode and interfaces on the G05/G06/G07 platform. In summary as mitigation's to your points:

- iOS Lightning to Ethernet adapter is very fast, but can be unreliable; iOS fails to make the connection regularly, requiring plugging and unplugging; while many have documented that, we don't have any results where that adapter has caused actual coding corruption ... but I am worried and don't recommend that adapter to newbies

- correct recommended Bluetooth adapters and following Bimmercode exact instructions has been extremely reliable and this is the first documented and seemingly probable/accurate case of corruption related to Bimmercode coding in this forum (there were other reports, all turned out to be user errors unrelated to Bimmercode coding); so your poor reliability claims are unsubstantiated on this forum

- the best BT adapter (OBDLink MX+) had been working for everyone very well ... until they recently updated firmware (and their app allowed the update for previous users) and the new firmware has had a couple reports of not working correlated to the new firmware; even so, none of those were corruption during coding; still, OBDLink MX+ is in limbo now as far as I am concerned due to the firmware screw up and confusion; if you have a 2019-purchased OBDLink MX+, DO NOT UPDATE THE FIRMWARE on the OBDLink MX+

- I personally now recommend MHD ENET Black interface for all Bimmercode and casual ESys uses; stock it's wifi and works well and fast for both iOS and Android; with some minor hacking, you can also use it wired or wireless for ESys; just cannot leave it plugged in permanently due to excess current drain while idle (I personally use an OBD power switching interposer cable to deal with this issue)

- Bimmercode is updated somewhat regularly on both iOS and Android and certainly much more often than "a year ago"; this is absolutely required since BMW Gxx platforms software is changing rapidly and Bimmercode has to match mapping; while many would prefer more frequent updates, Stephen is a sole developer and I suspect this is just an impossibility with such a crazy set of BMW hw/sw permutations; still, if you are part of Bimmercode beta, you'll see updates every few weeks, so Stephen is very active regardless the timings of slower public releases; for example, Bimmercode was updated less than a week ago (as of the date of this post) on iOS:
Attached Images

11-23-2020, 08:15 PM   #12
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Bimmercode is updated somewhat regularly on both iOS and Android and certainly much more often than "a year ago"; this is absolutely required since BMW Gxx platforms software is changing rapidly and Bimmercode has to match mapping
I am aware of Stephen's continuous work and regular updates ... my comment "about a year ago" referred to the update that allowed additional interfaces, such as an ENET Cable within his app. I have been coding for 11+ years, so even prior to OTA updates of G-Chassis BMWs, regular updates of psdzdata were required to match ISTEP versions updates

Regardless, I still would recommend ENET Cable and ESYS with ESYS-X for the ultimate (reliable) coding machine ... if a novice, BimmerCode is an excellently-built app for the masses and casual, coder. Stephen puts a lot of hardwork into regularly maintaining his app, and it has allowed many more individuals to dive into the world of customizing their Ultimate Driving Machine.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 08:24 PM   #13
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Got it.

To the OP's issue: have you contacted Stephen at support /at/ bimmercode.app, ideally directly from the app per below? Give him as much information as you have, he may have some additional suggestions or ideas.
Attached Images

11-23-2020, 10:37 PM   #14
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, 530e

Quote:
While I don't doubt your experience in the least, you should update yourself on modern experiences by reading about Bimmercode and interfaces on the G05/G06/G07 platform. In summary as mitigation's to your points:

- iOS Lightning to Ethernet adapter is very fast, but can be unreliable; iOS fails to make the connection regularly, requiring plugging and unplugging; while many have documented that, we don't have any results where that adapter has caused actual coding corruption ... but I am worried and don't recommend that adapter to newbies

- correct recommended Bluetooth adapters and following Bimmercode exact instructions has been extremely reliable and this is the first documented and seemingly probable/accurate case of corruption related to Bimmercode coding in this forum (there were other reports, all turned out to be user errors unrelated to Bimmercode coding); so your poor reliability claims are unsubstantiated on this forum

- the best BT adapter (OBDLink MX+) had been working for everyone very well ... until they recently updated firmware (and their app allowed the update for previous users) and the new firmware has had a couple reports of not working correlated to the new firmware; even so, none of those were corruption during coding; still, OBDLink MX+ is in limbo now as far as I am concerned due to the firmware screw up and confusion; if you have a 2019-purchased OBDLink MX+, DO NOT UPDATE THE FIRMWARE

- I personally now recommend MHD ENET Black interface for all Bimmercode and casual ESys uses; stock it's wifi and works well and fast for both iOS and Android; with some minor hacking, you can also use it wired or wireless for ESys; just cannot leave it plugged in permanently due to excess current drain while idle (I personally use an OBD power switching interposer cable to deal with this issue)

- Bimmercode is updated somewhat regularly on both iOS and Android and certainly much more often than "a year ago"; this is absolutely required since BMW Gxx platforms software is changing rapidly and Bimmercode has to match mapping; while many would prefer more frequent updates, Stephen is a sole developer and I suspect this is just an impossibility with such a crazy set of BMW hw/sw permutations; still, if you are part of Bimmercode beta, you'll see updates every few weeks, so Stephen is very active regardless the timings of slower public releases; for example, Bimmercode was updated less than a week ago (as of the date of this post) on iOS:
offtopic:

sounds like you are SME when it comes to coding using Bimmercode. I have used Esys with launcher pro but now obsolete.

Can Bimmercode code VIM for 2021 X5 40i and 2021 530ix?

Could you please share link where to get MHD ENET Black adapter? Does this need USB-C to ENET cable as well for Ipad Pro?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 07:52 PM   #15
mhodx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i ordered

Unfortunately you may have to go to the dealer beg for mercy and have them reset back to standard settings.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 10:13 PM   #16
solaraxis
Private
Canada
Rep

All fixed today guys. Thanks so much for all the comments and help. Especially to CaboM4 who reached out and help me fix my problem.

Super grateful to be part of such a helpful community of BMW enthusiasts.
Appreciate 2
Nooch19.50
bandersen587.00
      11-25-2020, 10:27 AM   #17
Turbobusa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
All fixed today guys. Thanks so much for all the comments and help. Especially to CaboM4 who reached out and help me fix my problem.

Wow, that's awesome, i love the support here
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 11:20 AM   #18
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep

Quote:

No worries ... happy to help (took all of 2 mins! )
Appreciate 5
      11-25-2020, 01:52 PM   #19
roshm
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 m50i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!!!
replied.

I've found that why Bimmercode is unreliable is due to the interface. The Bluetooth is unreliable for ECUs with large data ... ie. BDC and will often crash leaving situations like this where the ECU is corrupted and needs to be recovered with the "Inject CAFD for SWE" feature in ESYS ... similar to what is done for brand new parts which I've retrofitted over the years to various vehicles ... or helped people with coding "donor" parts to their cars. It's a pretty reliable fix 99% of the time can recover these situations caused by the Bluetooth interface used with ESYS

- the best BT adapter (OBDLink MX+) had been working for everyone very well ... until they recently updated firmware (and their app allowed the update for previous users) and the new firmware has had a couple reports of not working correlated to the new firmware; even so, none of those were corruption during coding; still, OBDLink MX+ is in limbo now as far as I am concerned due to the firmware screw up and confusion; if you have a 2019-purchased OBDLink MX+, DO NOT UPDATE THE FIRMWARE

When you say don't update the firmware, do you mean for the OBD (MX+) adapter or for the vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 01:55 PM   #20
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roshm View Post
When you say don't update the firmware, do you mean for the OBD (MX+) adapter or for the vehicle?
I mean the firmware on OBDLink MX+ interface.
      11-25-2020, 02:00 PM   #21
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:

Care to share what the fix was incase another member runs into the same issue?
Appreciate 1
TSMC55126.50
      11-25-2020, 05:09 PM   #22
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Care to share what the fix was incase another member runs into the same issue?
Yep, same request from here too!