BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-22-2020, 02:26 AM   #1
jc.bmw
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Windshield damaged by rock: replace or repair?

I could use some opinions here. Got the windshield chipped by a rock, went to Safelite today and they put resin to prevent cracks from spreading. It's still clearly visible after the resin, but it's on the right bottom corner of the passenger side. As they were fixing it cracks started spreading but they contained it. A small crack was left visible after the service, apart from the still visible chip.

Question: do I live with that or replace the windshield? Any bad experiences with windshield replacements I should be aware of? I quoted with the dealership, they have one in stock, total U$ 2,500 and I'd use the insurance for it ($1000 deductible though).

Two pictures from before and one from after. The third picture is from after Safelite serviced it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 05:10 AM   #2
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

It can probably just about be repaired BUT it will always be visible. They aren’t going to be able to repair back to being unnoticeable like smaller chips.

So guess it depends on how OCD you are. It’s low down and out of the way which is good.

If you do get a replacement screen make sure it’s OEM like for like if you have HUD. Many insurers will claim the supplied replacements are as good as BMW but I’ve seen it all too many times where the HUD has hazing.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 06:54 AM   #3
PREDATOR 007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Most insurance companies cover replacement free of charge. Do not go with an aftermarket windshield, OEM only. Some of the aftermarket windshields have problems with rain sensing wipers etc. Plus if you are leasing, the dealer could ding you for it when you turn it in.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2020, 06:57 AM   #4
Mighty Mouse
Rep
Drives: 750li

What insurance company are you with? Most should replace it with no deductible.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 08:04 AM   #5
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Provided you act now while its still a star/spider shaped chip, your best bet is to have it repaired. Like others have said, you will still see it because you know where to look for it, if the repair is a quality one, others who don't know its there may not see it.
If you wait too long, it will propagate across your windshield a half inch at a time when going over potholes, railroad tracks, etc. I've repaired chips like this myself, takes about a half hour.
If you are looking for an excuse to get a new windshield, get yourself a rubber hammer and go to town on it and you will be able to watch it grow. However, you will not like having to get your windshield replaced and I would avoid it if possible.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 10:05 AM   #6
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by PREDATOR 007 View Post
Most insurance companies cover replacement free of charge. Do not go with an aftermarket windshield, OEM only. Some of the aftermarket windshields have problems with rain sensing wipers etc. Plus if you are leasing, the dealer could ding you for it when you turn it in.
Use caution! I had to get mine replaced and my insurance company did not want to cover the BMW replacement from the dealership. I had to cover the difference between what they thought it should’ve cost, and the actual cost.

Also, if you go with a BMW factory replacement, expect to pay about $2500!! These things are expensive!!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 10:24 AM   #7
jc.bmw
Private
Rep

The last picture shows the windshield after it has been repaired. I either have to live with that or replace it.

Insurance is from Geico. They cover repairs without deductible but not replacements.

The $2,500 quote I have is from the dealership. I assume at this point that Geico will approve the replacement, but the policy says it's considered a normal accident and I'll need to pay the deductible ($1k in my case).
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 10:47 AM   #8
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc.bmw View Post
The last picture shows the windshield after it has been repaired. I either have to live with that or replace it.

Insurance is from Geico. They cover repairs without deductible but not replacements.

The $2,500 quote I have is from the dealership. I assume at this point that Geico will approve the replacement, but the policy says it's considered a normal accident and I'll need to pay the deductible ($1k in my case).
That's not a very good repair, sorry. Who did it? Did it cost you?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 10:59 AM   #9
jc.bmw
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Quote:

That's not a very good repair, sorry. Who did it? Did it cost you?
Safelite did the repair. They charged $65 directly to Geico.

I also feel that the repair wasn't as I expected, but Safelite called it even before they did the repair. They said the damage was 'structural' and the repair would fix the structural damage but wouldn't be perfect cosmetically.

It was far from perfect in the end though.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 11:16 AM   #10
jc.bmw
Private
Rep

I just checked my policy and I have comprehensive insurance which covers glass damage but I had selected $1000 deductible.

It seemed like the right thing to do given than I had driven for 14 years in WA without glass damage like this ever occurring.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 11:19 AM   #11
Funkyaapl
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5

The x5 has a particular fragile windshield. I was pretty upset when I noticed my first chip, but I’ve gotten used to them. I wouldn’t get it replaced, you can drive really carefully but you can’t avoid chips. Look it up for the g05, you will see there are a lot of threads on this. Do continue to get them filled in though.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 11:26 AM   #12
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Safelite did the repair. They charged $65 directly to Geico.

I also feel that the repair wasn't as I expected, but Safelite called it even before they did the repair. They said the damage was 'structural' and the repair would fix the structural damage but wouldn't be perfect cosmetically.

It was far from perfect in the end though.
Ugh, well I know it can be hard to use an auto focus camera, like the ones in smart phones, to take a picture of glass and have it focus on the proper subject so maybe the repair is in fact a little better than it looks. However, I just don't see any epoxy in the legs of the chip so expect it to propagate as time goes on.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 11:32 AM   #13
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Ugh, well I know it can be hard to use an auto focus camera, like the ones in smart phones, to take a picture of glass and have it focus on the proper subject so maybe the repair is in fact a little better than it looks. However, I just don't see any epoxy in the legs of the chip so expect it to propagate as time goes on.
This. Usually if you can cover it with a dime you're good to go with a driveway repair, but this one looks like one Summer will do it in. Maybe shouldn't have been attempted to begin with, but I agree with Marty it's likely to fail.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 12:34 PM   #14
jc.bmw
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Quote:
This. Usually if you can cover it with a dime you're good to go with a driveway repair, but this one looks like one Summer will do it in. Maybe shouldn't have been attempted to begin with, but I agree with Marty it's likely to fail.
According to Safelite the resin will prevent this from spreading. The work is already done and the photos are in focus (it does look as bad as it looks on the photo).

I'm currently on the mindset that this will keep happening. I already found another spot with a superficial set of little dings. This does indicate that the G05 has a windshield that isn't has hard as in other vehicles.

I may wait a few more months. If I get more I might replace the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 12:55 PM   #15
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
According to Safelite the resin will prevent this from spreading. The work is already done and the photos are in focus (it does look as bad as it looks on the photo).

I'm currently on the mindset that this will keep happening. I already found another spot with a superficial set of little dings. This does indicate that the G05 has a windshield that isn't has hard as in other vehicles.

Replaced our Q7 windshields twice, so I don't think BMW is unique. I stretch out my following distance considerably now, especially on the Interstate. Replacing one isn't that difficult or time-consuming, and our Audis were replaced in a day with OEM glass, indistinguishable from factory new. I don't recall that we had to pay a deductible, but depends on your insurance....
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 01:02 PM   #16
BigHunk
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M , iX , S1000XR

Repair was poorly done, when it's properly filled, it's almost invisible.
I would leave it as is and replace it with next rockchip.
In meanwhile i would change insurance with better one.
      11-22-2020, 01:17 PM   #17
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

I was forced to replace my windshield due to a code in the KAFAS camera regarding a failed heater loop. I guess the camera has a heater in it.

They did it at the dealership with a local glass company and still had issues after the fact with the rain sensing as well as some wind noise and marks on the dash.

All of it was fixed for free after the fact but it was multiple visits and I knew it would happen. It's a shitty process to deal with whether it's thru insurance or warranty. If I was told it was structural, I would replace. I'm sure the resin is good stuff, but if it wasn't going to take the look away and at one point had affected integrity, I'd just do it.

Definitely make sure you get the OEM glass with the BMW logo on it. Let them know in advance (both insurance and the glass company) that you'll reject if it's not. If you have heads up display, be sure it's glass for the heads up (part number) and when you get the car back, make sure the HUD isn't blurry. Check the rain sensing, and lane keep functions if you have them. If you have acoustic glass, make sure they get the acoustic windshield. Etc etc. sorry you have to deal with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 02:35 PM   #18
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:

I live just north of you up here in the Burlington/Mount Vernon area. Leave it and wait until it spreads or until you get another rock chip. It will happen.

I had a huge chip the size of a silver dollar. I waited until it started spreading which was about a week later. Then I had it replaced at the dealer. I will only work with the dealer for glass replacement. My Dealer is BMW Northwest.

Less than two weeks after replacing the windshield I got two more rock chips all from the same Semi running over a bunch of shit on the road and throwing it at the cars around him. Luckily, one was two small to repair and the other was very small and they repaired that one.

I've lived here for 25 years and I have had to replace the windshield at least once on every single vehicle I've owned and I've owned about 10 cars during the past 25 years. There's a law in this state against uncovered loads but this state never enforces the law because their two busy getting their monthly quota in speeding tickets. There will be more chips down the road unless you never drive the car.
Appreciate 0