BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-06-2022, 03:34 PM   #177
R19W81
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Kama'aina View Post
Aloha - my new X5 45e was just released from the factory in SC on it's way for quite the journey to the middle of the Pacific. In the meantime, I was hoping to obtain some sage advice from those on the forum more knowledgeable than me on possible plug n play audio upgrades for the BMW HI-FI system. I had ordered the HK system (no B&W option anymore ), but due to the current semiconductor / chip shortage, they swapped it out for the generic BMW system....I've not heard good things about that system, so really hoping to upgrade. I've found a few (Bimmer-Tech and Bavsound) speaker upgrade solutions that look favorable and they have been very helpful. However, I have not yet found a PNP Amp solution. I understand the build is very new, but was hoping someone might have a good recommendation. Thank you in advance!
Apologies in advance, as I know this reply comes bit late. However I thought I would let people know in case anyone is still wondering or considering audio upgrades.

I bought the car with HiFi S676 system. So it had an amp, two tweeters, four midranges in each of the doors, one centre console cone and tweeter and two underseat subwoofers (more like mid base). It was not impressive at all. The mids and mid base was rather nice, but that’s where it stopped. It sounded muddy, lacked clarity and separation, highs seemed truncated and bass was boxy than punchy deep or tight.

After reading on the internet I went with BimmerTech upgrade. This gave a new amp pp86dsp (by audiofischer) and replaced every speaker I mentioned above. At first i was disappointed. The system was louder, highs and bass was great but everything sounded very metallic! ( which was not what I wanted). I thought this was because of the metal cone speakers.

After a few amp tuning efforts I felt quite disappointed as the software was quite overwhelming to use (not user friendly at all IMHO). Meciej from BimmerTech was great he helped me with different tuning files. Finally I managed to get a file he sent me that seemed to have improved many aspects then started to work with it by adjusting the file he sent. This took couple of hours. However the end result now is amazing.

I think it was two factors -1. correct tuning 2. Speakers break in.

I can’t comment about bavsound or focal. They probably are good. May be even better. But in Australia Bavsound can only be brought via third parties and both BAV and Focal are dearer than BimmerTech. I highly recommend BimmerTech. If anyone wanted I do have my tuning files for the X5 G05.
Appreciate 4
NCSpuds22.50
vj773.00
      03-27-2022, 12:41 PM   #178
lexttu
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M50i, 2023 330i, 1999 C43

What is the best sub upgrade for the HK system? Bavsound?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 10:26 AM   #179
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexttu View Post
What is the best sub upgrade for the HK system? Bavsound?
Same question from me as I want to upgrade my HK as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 10:34 PM   #180
2dangerous
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatty View Post
And also heard these Earthquakes blow away any other underseat woofer. Focal, Audison, Bavsound, etc. And they are a fraction of the price. $227 on Amazon for a pair of 2 ohms to match the factory subs. .
shatty - any update on the eartquake sub install? was it a plug n play or did you need any adapters?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 06:30 AM   #181
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by R19W81 View Post
Apologies in advance, as I know this reply comes bit late. However I thought I would let people know in case anyone is still wondering or considering audio upgrades.

I bought the car with HiFi S676 system. So it had an amp, two tweeters, four midranges in each of the doors, one centre console cone and tweeter and two underseat subwoofers (more like mid base). It was not impressive at all. The mids and mid base was rather nice, but that’s where it stopped. It sounded muddy, lacked clarity and separation, highs seemed truncated and bass was boxy than punchy deep or tight.

After reading on the internet I went with BimmerTech upgrade. This gave a new amp pp86dsp (by audiofischer) and replaced every speaker I mentioned above. At first i was disappointed. The system was louder, highs and bass was great but everything sounded very metallic! ( which was not what I wanted). I thought this was because of the metal cone speakers.

After a few amp tuning efforts I felt quite disappointed as the software was quite overwhelming to use (not user friendly at all IMHO). Meciej from BimmerTech was great he helped me with different tuning files. Finally I managed to get a file he sent me that seemed to have improved many aspects then started to work with it by adjusting the file he sent. This took couple of hours. However the end result now is amazing.

I can’t comment about bavsound or focal. They probably are good. May be even better. But in Australia Bavsound can only be brought via third parties and both BAV and Focal are dearer than BimmerTech. I highly recommend BimmerTech. If anyone wanted I do have my tuning files for the X5 G05.
I went with BimmerTech for my 2022 X5 e45, just make sure you get the latest patch cable, the e45 has 4 extra wires coming out of the Ram Module, 2 of these wires relay the Acoustic Pedestrian Warning sound up to 30klm per hour. Without those wires it throws a error on the screen at start up and then every few minutes while driving.

Very happy with the upgrade, I also have the oem BMW RSE in the back, the DVD/Blu-ray player also takes USB-c & HDMI which works perfectly with the old style iPod's with the 30pin to USB apple cables, just used a USB to USB-c adapter on the cable end, it works perfectly just like it did in the older X5's, brings up images, artists, albums, tracks, song titles etc. The USB-c connectors in the front won't work with iPods, just won't recognise the connection at all for me in the e45, thought I was going to have to download all the songs into the iDrive.

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 07:24 AM   #182
BimmerDon
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 & 2021 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitenD View Post
Hi
I use the Matchup 7 BMW as I got the standard HIFI and it's improved my sound immensely.
Whilst it doesn't have the extra speakers or the EQ and surround sound option you get with the HK, the Matchup let's you equalise each speaker in the car and creates DSP settings so you can get a very unique sound on bass and your highs.
My mate has HK in his G05 and swears that my bass sounds smoother and has more punch then his HK model.
This is because the amp is simple to use with software once you plug your laptop in.

I have all the standard stock speakers still.
I second this analysis! Like many I too was stuck with the Hifi 676 system as the only option for my 2022 X5. I can proudly report that after installing the Match Up 8DSP amp my sound has gotten significantly better. In my experience most cars come under powered from the factory and a little more power is all they need. I would highly recommend buying the amp first instead of speakers. While the audio quality is not a 10 out of 10, adding an amp alone took it to a high seven or eight out of 10 in my book.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 01:14 PM   #183
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

I just traded in my G05 X5 40i that unfortunately came with HiFi only.

When doing so I pulled out the Bimmertech Alpha One Subs, Amp and interior door speakers.

Bimmertech used my actual vehicle to shoot their videos on these.

So they were both professionally installed and uninstalled. I haven't gotten around to posting them yet but they will be for sale shortly if anyone has interest please PM me.

I am not just saying this because I'm selling them, but IMO they are a must have upgrade for a 70k+ vehicle with a worse stereo than a Toyota Corolla. Totally brought it up to HK standards and (if not better). I have HK in my F80 M3 and I'd say the end result was pretty comparable, if anything, more bass out of the AlphaOne subs.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2023, 01:21 PM   #184
BimmerDon
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 & 2021 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbai View Post
I just traded in my G05 X5 40i that unfortunately came with HiFi only.

When doing so I pulled out the Bimmertech Alpha One Subs, Amp and interior door speakers.

Bimmertech used my actual vehicle to shoot their videos on these.

So they were both professionally installed and uninstalled. I haven't gotten around to posting them yet but they will be for sale shortly if anyone has interest please PM me.

I am not just saying this because I'm selling them, but IMO they are a must have upgrade for a 70k+ vehicle with a worse stereo than a Toyota Corolla. Totally brought it up to HK standards and (if not better). I have HK in my F80 M3 and I'd say the end result was pretty comparable, if anything, more bass out of the AlphaOne subs.
Shoot me a DM when you're ready to move them!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 04:50 AM   #185
vj77
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 2023

Quote:

Please share your tuning files with me.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 11:03 PM   #186
GidNZ
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 40i MSport

G'day! Anyone aware of audio installers in Melbourne, Australia area that can upgrade the standard HIFI audio in my X5 '19 G05? While i know you can DIY the Alpha One set I am short on time (and patience with 3 young kids).
Any suggestions of installer and/or other upgrade options welcome.
thanks!
G.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 03:43 AM   #187
Greg876
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 40i

Garage List
2022 bmw  [0.00]
Quote:

I can’t comment about bavsound or focal. They probably are good. May be even better. But in Australia Bavsound can only be brought via third parties [...]
Do you mind sharing the amp files.
Appreciate 0