BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-27-2023, 01:01 PM   #1
raddoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5,Model3,M240i

'21 X5 40i transmission/drivetrain issues

In December '22 my X5 seemed to be shifting strangely and local NY dealer had it for a few days as there were several error codes which couldn't be easily sorted out. Eventually they connected it to BMW techs in NJ offices. Codes were resolved and all seemed fine until....

I was about to drive from AZ to NY so had routine oil change performed at 25K miles and there was a trans/drive train TSB for a software update. Tucson BMW did the update and all was well, until.....

After 2000 highway miles I got the dreaded drive train malfunction message: " impaired drive train function, okay to keep driving but schedule for service".

Today the NY dealer told me that there have been a few trans/drive train software issues and although most get resolved with a re-flash or download, some have required transmission replacement.

How many '21 X5 owners have had these issues? How many have had transmission replacement?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 08:20 AM   #2
raddoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5,Model3,M240i

Dealer sorted out the problem. Turbo waste gate needed replacement and then recalibration. Seems okay now.
Appreciate 1
bandersen588.50