BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-25-2024, 01:49 PM   #1
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

"Unable to Save" message on pre-LCI programmable buttons

I've been trying to save a button for Car Play Nav but get the "unable to save" message each time. I already have one CP button saved (audio), so I know it is possible to assign a button to a CP function but for some reason this one won't take.

Has anyone had -- and solved -- this issue before? TIA
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 01:51 PM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarrat View Post
I've been trying to save a button for Car Play Nav but get the "unable to save" message each time. I already have one CP button saved (audio), so I know it is possible to assign a button to a CP function but for some reason this one won't take.

Has anyone had — and solved — this issue before? TIA
to save, go back one step before the actual navigation app. (you can’t save directly to an app.)
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 01:57 PM   #3
cellarrat
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
to save, go back one step before the actual navigation app. (you can’t save directly to an app.)
Thanks for responding but I am not sure I understand. I can get to Car play a couple of ways, but when arriving at CP it shows whatever app was active. Not sure I get what you are saying (BTW, I did read the manual but it was profoundly unhelpful)
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 02:34 PM   #4
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarrat View Post
Quote:
Thanks for responding but I am not sure I understand. I can get to Car play a couple of ways, but when arriving at CP it shows whatever app was active. Not sure I get what you are saying (BTW, I did read the manual but it was profoundly unhelpful)
you can’t save an app directly from the CarPlay dashboard. you need to go back one menu item before the CarPlay dashboard which is something like “phone in CarPlay” which will bring you to the dashboard where you can then choose the navigation app you want.

the closest a saved button will get you is the dashboard
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 03:15 PM   #5
cellarrat
Captain
Rep

Quote:
you can’t save an app directly from the CarPlay dashboard. you need to go back one menu item before the CarPlay dashboard which is something like “phone in CarPlay” which will bring you to the dashboard where you can then choose the navigation app you want.

the closest a saved button will get you is the dashboard
Ha! How about I open a nice bottle and you come over and do it for me.

I tried to do this several ways, using all available "back one menu item" pages (through the "media" button; the "apps" route; by hitting the car play link at the top of the home screen . . . and can save anything in Car Play but the map app. CP Audio, Phone, Messages . . . it will save the most recently active CP app, unless the most recently active app was Maps.

This is no big deal, but it would be nice to have the one touch launch. Maybe I will stop by and pester the not-so-genius tomorrow.

Thanks for your help though
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 03:39 PM   #6
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
cellarrat yah, BMW can surely do a better job with how we save to the Favorites buttons
Appreciate 1
cellarrat517.00