BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 1 Series Forum Second Generation (F40) BMW 1 Series (F40) General Discussion

01-26-2021, 01:46 PM   #1
andy.jones
Registered
Rep
Drives: M135i

Rogue Lane Assist

I am the proud owner of a previously owned M135i Lovely car as they all are

It comes with Lane Assist

When I was taught to drive, my instructor told me only to switch my indicators on, if another road user or pedestrian would benefit. His logic is utterly sound - too many people go into auto pilot, switch the indicators on and assume they have automatically created an invisible 50 metre force field around their vehicle.

Better to use your eyes and brain to assess the safety of the manoeuvre you are about to make, determine if anyone will benefit from seeing your intentions of making it (indicators) and then proceed accordingly

Of course this grates horribly with lane assist, so when you don't indicate because there is no need to, for the car in front to know you are coming past as the road is completely clear in front of it and there's no one behind you, it "knows" better. It encourages you to plough into the back of the car you are overtaking.

"Switch it off" I hear you say. I have

But twice in one month it switches itself on automatically. I don't notice the little green light on the dashboard to see it's mysteriously come back on. The first I know of it is when it is encouraging me to write the car off by careering into the back of the lorry I am overtaking.

I go into the menu and it says it's off, which it most obviously isn't. The only way to get it to really go off again, is switch it back on and then off again.

Assuming this isn't just me - worth a recall I would have thought, before someone gets hurt

Andy
Haslemere
England
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 01:52 PM   #2
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
There was an update last year in how Euro NCAP assesses vehicles with Emergency Lane Keeping. As a result new vehicles reset to ON at startup.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 04:24 AM   #3
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy.jones View Post
I am the proud owner of a previously owned M135i Lovely car as they all are

It comes with Lane Assist

When I was taught to drive, my instructor told me only to switch my indicators on, if another road user or pedestrian would benefit. His logic is utterly sound - too many people go into auto pilot, switch the indicators on and assume they have automatically created an invisible 50 metre force field around their vehicle.

Better to use your eyes and brain to assess the safety of the manoeuvre you are about to make, determine if anyone will benefit from seeing your intentions of making it (indicators) and then proceed accordingly

Of course this grates horribly with lane assist, so when you don't indicate because there is no need to, for the car in front to know you are coming past as the road is completely clear in front of it and there's no one behind you, it "knows" better. It encourages you to plough into the back of the car you are overtaking.

"Switch it off" I hear you say. I have

But twice in one month it switches itself on automatically. I don't notice the little green light on the dashboard to see it's mysteriously come back on. The first I know of it is when it is encouraging me to write the car off by careering into the back of the lorry I am overtaking.

I go into the menu and it says it's off, which it most obviously isn't. The only way to get it to really go off again, is switch it back on and then off again.

Assuming this isn't just me - worth a recall I would have thought, before someone gets hurt

Andy
Haslemere
England
Hi
If the activation is genuinely random (rather than say after a map update) then it is clearly not a deliberate feature and a bug in the system. If deliberate it would default to ON for every start and not intermittently. Ring your dealer and ask for a software update, explain it is causing serious safety issues and if necessary put this in writing. I realise a software update will probably result in an always on at start situation. If this is the case and you are genuinely not using the feature then your BMW dealer should be able to disable this one feature., if they are unwilling then there are remote coders (using E-sys) who can disable it for you.

A software update should take no more than 90 mins and will hopefully fix the problem, if not then you will need to escalate. It is not acceptable that you and others are being put at serious risk. The latest BMW lane departure warning/lane assist with active steering intervention is imho a menace. If you drive down narrow country roads or anywhere with faded lines, it will repeatedly try and put the car in the hedge or worse someone coming the other way.

Last edited by MJE60; 01-30-2021 at 05:20 AM..
Appreciate 0