BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-03-2020, 05:21 PM   #1
MissVito
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 M60i, M240ix

Recommendations for car cleaning products?

Hi, there are a lot of products for maintaining the exterior. My brain is fried from researching it, lol. Which car shampoos are the best? Are quick detailers safe to use? My goal is to clean the car as quickly as possible as I live in FL where it's hot/humid 11 months out of the year and I can't stand the heat. Love bug season is also a pain in the neck. I learned the one bucket/wash mitt is not the best way. Now that I have a brand new dark car I want to be really careful not to cause scratches.

Looks like using a pressure washer and foam cannon would be efficient. I'm going to shop for an electric one and something to blow dry the car, but not a leaf blower. (The car will be going in for PPF and ceramic in a couple of weeks) Is it possible to do a no-touch washing if the car's not real dirty?

Any advice what I should get? We only have a 2 car garage so not much room since we keep our cars in the garage. Which is why I'm looking for an electric pressure washer. My goal is to make it easier and quicker to clean the car. Thanks
'14 X5 s35i Lux Line Mineral White/Mocha (re-homed)
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 07:19 PM   #2
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissVito View Post
(The car will be going in for PPF and ceramic in a couple of weeks) Is it possible to do a no-touch washing if the car's not real dirty?
Your installer will probably have some great recommendations - it's been awhile since I was in the game but I'd go with a foam gun for the pressure washer ... wonder what MystroX5 would say ...
Appreciate 1
MissVito205.50
      10-07-2020, 07:40 PM   #3
Mo2002
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I would ask the shop whose doing the ceramic on recommendation for soaps. For my CQuartz coatings, I have to use soap that does not have any wax in it.
I'm in the same boat as you living in FL with the heat and love bugs. Best time to wash the car is early in the morning. I don't use quick detailer on my cars. Best way is always with soap and water. I bought a foam cannon but barely use it bc it takes a while to get the pressure washer and everything setup. I have the SunJoe SPX 3001 pressure washer from Lowes.
I would use the 2 bucket system, use a very soft mitt to wash the car and use a blower if you can. If not, use microfiber towels to dry the car. I also use the dirt traps in the buckets from Chemical Guys. Start with washing from top to bottom.
Once you get the coating done, washing the car will be a breeze! Spray down the car, wash with soap from top to bottom (no scrubbing required), rinse with water and dry. I also leave the wheels for last.
Hope this helps!
Appreciate 1
MissVito205.50
      10-08-2020, 05:59 PM   #4
MissVito
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 M60i, M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo2002 View Post
I would ask the shop whose doing the ceramic on recommendation for soaps. For my CQuartz coatings, I have to use soap that does not have any wax in it.
I'm in the same boat as you living in FL with the heat and love bugs. Best time to wash the car is early in the morning. I don't use quick detailer on my cars. Best way is always with soap and water. I bought a foam cannon but barely use it bc it takes a while to get the pressure washer and everything setup. I have the SunJoe SPX 3001 pressure washer from Lowes.
I would use the 2 bucket system, use a very soft mitt to wash the car and use a blower if you can. If not, use microfiber towels to dry the car. I also use the dirt traps in the buckets from Chemical Guys. Start with washing from top to bottom.
Once you get the coating done, washing the car will be a breeze! Spray down the car, wash with soap from top to bottom (no scrubbing required), rinse with water and dry. I also leave the wheels for last.
Hope this helps!
Thanks for all the info! Good tip on asking the shop what soap to use. I guess I better get the buckets and some extra mitts tomorrow because it really needs a wash. I guess I'll use the electric leaf blower for now. I can't wait for it to get the paint protection. I'm looking forward to making that task easier. Cheers!
'14 X5 s35i Lux Line Mineral White/Mocha (re-homed)
Appreciate 0