BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-15-2021, 07:04 AM   #1
Zimma
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i (G20)

ProtectX/Hydrophobic coating is worth it (pics)

i was skeptical about this addon in the dealership, especially after reading in this forum, but i went for it and im glad i did. normally as when i turn up to the dealer to pick up a new car I am looking for the closest exits, getting anxiety from all the smiling salesmen gravitating towards me trying to shove shitty extras down my throat.

They sell this with a various array of benefits, it sounded like crap to me as they were saying it protects against discolouration . Mainly for me It acts as a good hydrophobic layer, everytime it rains the water just sits on my car as pictured, also same with the windows and doesnt leave marks when it drys. I can tell the difference between my car and other black cars on the street, my neighbour has a new black x5 and from what i can tell he has no protection. It helps to a certain extent to repel dirt aswell. i feel like i can get away with washing it less as a result, or maybe i just want to believe that in my head..

my question is - the dealer said i dont need to wax the car again..i asked him a few times if he means 'forever'. seems wrong to me? anyone know anymore about that
Attached Images

Last edited by Zimma; 01-15-2021 at 07:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 07:50 AM   #2
iceRN09
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i Xdrive, X5 M50i

Don't believe that "Do not need to wax" line. You need to probably do it once a year. There are other ceramic products that has 1 yr guarantee. Just clean it and then spray to reinforce the previous coating. Make sure that you clay it first.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 08:30 AM   #3
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Assuming it's a ceramic coating, they have a life of 1-4 years depending on brand or type. On mine I have one that lasts about 2 years. Every maintenance wash about 7-10 days depending on weather. Once a month or so I give it a refresher. I use CarPro reload. lots of choices out there from diy to professional and spending a few thousand dollars. Best of luck with your choice and car.

Ps: many videos how how to detail and maintain your car
Appreciate 0