BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-27-2019, 09:25 AM   #1
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

DIY oil change procedure?

Anyone done a DIY oil change on a G05 30d yet?
I used to do it in my F15, and wondering if there are any tricks or gotchas with the G05? ....apart from:
- the obvious different oil filter needed
- the oil filter location has been made a little harder to get to.
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2019, 01:01 PM   #2
ElectroGeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50i

I was considering do my own oil changes, but after talking to my dealer its 120$ for them to do it after the "free" ones end, I'll opt to pay the 120$ personally.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 08:07 AM   #3
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Isn't maintenance included for the first 3 years, or something like that? I would think at the very least let BMW do it for you until you have to pay. Unless, of course, there's not a dealership convenient to you.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 10:38 AM   #4
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Isn't maintenance included for the first 3 years, or something like that? I would think at the very least let BMW do it for you until you have to pay. Unless, of course, there's not a dealership convenient to you.
Yes, but they will only change it when the Condition Based Servicing (CBS) in the car says it needs changing, which isn't until Jan 2021.

I think 18-months from when I took delivery (Sept-2019) is too long for initial / break-in Oil change.

I'm thinking of doing it when I get to around ~3000km. It cant be that hard, it was really easy on the F15. I can do a quality oil change with genuine BMW filter for around $110, my dealer wants $450 ....(yes, WTF??!?!)
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 01:50 PM   #5
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85, G05, E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
Anyone done a DIY oil change on a G05 30d yet?
I used to do it in my F15, and wondering if there are any tricks or gotchas with the G05? ....apart from:
- the obvious different oil filter needed
- the oil filter location has been made a little harder to get to.
The process is almost identical to your F15. I changed the oil in my 40i at 1500 miles. ISTA for G05 now even has a "paint by numbers" oil change procedure that includes torque values for the drain plug and filter.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2020, 03:57 PM   #6
Baby Driver
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Oil Capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarif1 View Post
The process is almost identical to your F15. I changed the oil in my 40i at 1500 miles. ISTA for G05 now even has a "paint by numbers" oil change procedure that includes torque values for the drain plug and filter.
Can't find oil capacity of my 2020 X5 40i six poper anywhere? anybody?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 10:03 PM   #7
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Driver View Post
Can't find oil capacity of my 2020 X5 40i six poper anywhere? anybody?
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...nce/1VncdTaZMq

TIS states 6.5L including filter. That should give you all the info you need for the change. These TIS are available for the 50i too.
Appreciate 2
      06-19-2020, 02:28 AM   #8
BMW_Cyprus
Private
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Looking forward to G05 X5

Check out the post
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1722708

It's not for 30d but should be exactly the same procedure
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 05:22 AM   #9
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Cyprus View Post
Check out the post
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1722708

It's not for 30d but should be exactly the same procedure
Thanks for the reference. I'm not sure that the procedures are the same for my M50i as other models.

I know for a FACT that the filter on the 40i is in a completely different location (top side of engine, toward the firewall, driver side, and cockeyed. Requires removal of plastic engine cover). It's the same orientation as my 2016 340i that I changed the oil on many times.

The 30d? I have no idea. I've never investigated one of those.

I "believe" my M50i will be the same procedures as a standard 50i though, if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 12:07 PM   #10
BigFix
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d G05

I see a lot of comments about free oil service for the first 3 years. Is that a common practice in the US for all brands?
Not sure I've come across it here in the UK but maybe I've been living under a rock
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 12:03 AM   #11
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFix View Post
I see a lot of comments about free oil service for the first 3 years. Is that a common practice in the US for all brands?
Not sure I've come across it here in the UK but maybe I've been living under a rock
Yes, I believe all US BMW dealerships offer free oil changes for the first 3 years. The past 3 I've bought (in 3 different states) have. Not that I've ever used one..... but it was/is free if I want it.
Appreciate 1
BigFix16.00
      06-28-2021, 10:02 AM   #12
jcardea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40I

My oil change procedure for my 2021 X5 x40i (B58 TU) engine. I have a lift (QuickJack BL6000) so I warm up engine until oil is about 100°F or slightly less. Loosen filler cap to let air in as oil drains out. If I’m going to take a sample for testing this is when to do that as oil is draining. I let oil drain until basically stops dripping. I replace crush washer with new one and reinstall drain plug and torque to 25N-m. I then lower vehicle down to ground and remove plastic engine cover. To better access oil filter canister, I push the release tab on the turbo inner cooler fluid reservoir and lay it over on top of engine and use a small piece of wire to tie it back without straining either tube coming from it. This will give you reasonable clear access to oil filter unit. I stuffed a couple rags around filter canister in case of oil spilling, but really didn’t have much at all. I purchased a 32MM Oil Filter Socket from ALTIN off Amazon for little over $10 that make things much easier than a general use 32MM socket. My canister cap was a little tight all the way out but no problems. Then just pull out old filter from cap and replace with new one. Caution Note: there are four, sort of alignment features inside the cap and on oil filter so if you pull on the old one and it seems a bit too hard to come off, rotate it a bit and it comes right out. I changed “O” ring on cap with new one from kit and used some new oil to lubricate three “O” rings in new filter and the one on cap and then reinstalled. Cap calls for 25N-m torque, but my cap was somewhat snug all the way in just like it was coming out, so I just stopped when it hit bottom (“O” Ring is the seal anyway). I put in 6 quarts plus 12 ounces of fresh oil. Replace the turbo cooling reservoir and replace old fill cap. Started vehicle and let it warm up to operating temperature and had it measure oil fill. I always check for leak too. All done from there. I’m sure others have differences of opinions but that is how of have done mine.
Appreciate 2
      09-29-2023, 09:22 AM   #13
SwiftDevelopments
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 330d, G05 X5 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFix View Post
Yeah the US do have different service plans, in the UK, you only have the option to buy a Service Inclusive plan, which is currently between £1,300 and £1,500 for an X5 (model dependent) and covers all fluids and filters (and spark plugs for petrol engines) for the length of your offer term (up to 4 years).

Last edited by SwiftDevelopments; 09-29-2023 at 09:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 05:06 PM   #14
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Yes, I believe all US BMW dealerships offer free oil changes for the first 3 years. The past 3 I've bought (in 3 different states) have. Not that I've ever used one..... but it was/is free if I want it.
3 years coverage is for G series. I know E series has 4 years of maintenance coverage.

It is just part of bmw included maintenance. It is part of purchase price, it isn’t really free. Some other brands also do it, but not every brand.
      10-21-2023, 05:09 PM   #15
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardea View Post
My oil change procedure for my 2021 X5 x40i (B58 TU) engine. I have a lift (QuickJack BL6000) so I warm up engine until oil is about 100°F or slightly less. Loosen filler cap to let air in as oil drains out. If I’m going to take a sample for testing this is when to do that as oil is draining. I let oil drain until basically stops dripping. I replace crush washer with new one and reinstall drain plug and torque to 25N-m. I then lower vehicle down to ground and remove plastic engine cover. To better access oil filter canister, I push the release tab on the turbo inner cooler fluid reservoir and lay it over on top of engine and use a small piece of wire to tie it back without straining either tube coming from it. This will give you reasonable clear access to oil filter unit. I stuffed a couple rags around filter canister in case of oil spilling, but really didn’t have much at all. I purchased a 32MM Oil Filter Socket from ALTIN off Amazon for little over $10 that make things much easier than a general use 32MM socket. My canister cap was a little tight all the way out but no problems. Then just pull out old filter from cap and replace with new one. Caution Note: there are four, sort of alignment features inside the cap and on oil filter so if you pull on the old one and it seems a bit too hard to come off, rotate it a bit and it comes right out. I changed “O” ring on cap with new one from kit and used some new oil to lubricate three “O” rings in new filter and the one on cap and then reinstalled. Cap calls for 25N-m torque, but my cap was somewhat snug all the way in [...]
I think 100F is too cold. It is like warm even for human touch. BMW recommends her oil to operation temp for oil change, which should be 220F ish. Oil is a lot thinner at that temp, will flow out faster too.