BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-18-2020, 07:17 PM   #1
Whitebb
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e M Sport

741M All Season Feedback

I live in Virginia and it is one of the most seasonal place in the states. I know that summer performance tire will not going to work. There were debates in the forum and some feedbacks to prepare for the winter season. But getting an winter setup is not feasible because I don't have a storage/garage to store and swap the tires every season.

I did some digging and saw that 295(back) and 265(front) will fit on the 741Ms. There are quite a bit of options, but I wanted to have the same brand/type in the front and rear.

There is only one option: Pirelli Scorpion Zero Plus All Season.

The ride quality of the tire is very good and quiet. It is too soon to tell the quality of the tire itself but keep everyone updated.

It seems like I have to watch out for the curbsides because tire does not protect the rim that much
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
BHCJJS21.00
boneca1989.00
      10-19-2020, 06:01 PM   #2
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebb View Post
I live in Virginia and it is one of the most seasonal place in the states. I know that summer performance tire will not going to work. There were debates in the forum and some feedbacks to prepare for the winter season. But getting an winter setup is not feasible because I don't have a storage/garage to store and swap the tires every season.

I did some digging and saw that 295(back) and 265(front) will fit on the 741Ms. There are quite a bit of options, but I wanted to have the same brand/type in the front and rear.

The ride quality of the tire is very good and quiet. It is too soon to tell the quality of the tire itself but keep everyone updated.

It seems like I have to watch out for the curbsides because tire does not protect the rim that much
I lived in NoVA pretty much my entire life. Front wheel drive with all seasons never let me down. X DRIVE with all seasons surely will be even better. My tire of chose were Conti DSWs. Those are some very good tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 11:00 PM   #3
BHCJJS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '21 G05 x40i M Sport, '04 E46

Quote:

Thanks for sharing. This is good info for the future. For now... I'm swapping between 741M and the 748M with winters twice a year...
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 12:01 PM   #4
SensibleFaucet
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05

Quote:

I haven't had a great experience with my Pirelli Scorpion Zero Plus All Season RFTs on wet roads to this point. I'm hoping they'll be at least okay in light snow.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 08:08 PM   #5
Whitebb
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
I lived in NoVA pretty much my entire life. Front wheel drive with all seasons never let me down. X DRIVE with all seasons surely will be even better. My tire of chose were Conti DSWs. Those are some very good tires.
I wish there were any alternative options, but Conti is only available in rear not the front
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 08:09 PM   #6
Whitebb
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleFaucet View Post
I haven't had a great experience with my Pirelli Scorpion Zero Plus All Season RFTs on wet roads to this point. I'm hoping they'll be at least okay in light snow.
I actually haven't had a chance to drive in rainy condition. I am curious
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 07:55 PM   #7
araje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleFaucet View Post
Can you elaborate a little more. I am in Phoenix and while the 741 summer setup is awesome for Phoenix summers, it doesn't help much for flagstaff trips (in snow). I don't think a dedicated winter setup is required for occasional or even many flagstaff trips so was looking at the Scorpion All season RFT. It does rain at times here so wanted to know your experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 06:27 PM   #8
SensibleFaucet
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05

Sure, see the thread linked below. Started that one in hopes of hearing from others, but crickets... Guess it's just me!

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1768523
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 10:55 PM   #9
bimmerwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05xdrive40I

Quote:

When you are ready to let it go let me know. I will come buy them lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 05:16 PM   #10
Whitebb
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerwerks View Post
When you are ready to let it go let me know. I will come buy them lol.
It is up for sale. Check out the member classifieds.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1763156
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 06:07 PM   #11
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

If you're ok going with non-Run Flats, there are a couple of All Season options:

Pirelli has Scorpion Verde A/S and Continental ProContact TX. I would like the option of going to Tahoe once a year and possibly take a winter national park trip or something. Otherwise, some sorta cold rain is about the harshest weather I'd like to encounter.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 05:16 AM   #12
Whitebb
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
If you're ok going with non-Run Flats, there are a couple of All Season options:

Pirelli has Scorpion Verde A/S and Continental ProContact TX. I would like the option of going to Tahoe once a year and possibly take a winter national park trip or something. Otherwise, some sorta cold rain is about the harshest weather I'd like to encounter.
As you may already know, Verde is the tire that shall be void. Worst of the Pirelli tires.

For the Conti, you may able to find rear but not for the front. I personally do not prefer the mix match of different brand/type of the tires. From the previous experience of noise issues. Tread wear is uneven and the agility of the tires are different

Hence, as of today, that Scorpion Zero is only option for 741M tires with a compromise of the width other than increasing the diameter of the wheel set.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 02:44 PM   #13
bimmerwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Hey

So how is it??? I'm thinking about doing the same set up since I'm 2 hrs south of you.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 09:35 AM   #14
Whitebb
United_States
Rep

It is great! we had 5 snow & storms this season, just had 9 in of snow last week, and they are doing great! The grip is better than what I expected. The noise level is a bit disturbing on highways compare to general summer performance tires, but that gets me bothered in a concrete highways speeding over 90+, which is less than 0.5% of the driving.

Quote:
Hey

So how is it??? I'm thinking about doing the same set up since I'm 2 hrs south of you.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 09:49 AM   #15
bimmerwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep

yeah in RVA not that much snow but still debating if i should get all season instead of summer for 21 that ijust picked up...

such a limited tire size for 21...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 04:10 PM   #16
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

Quote:
As you may already know, Verde is the tire that shall be void. Worst of the Pirelli tires.

For the Conti, you may able to find rear but not for the front. I personally do not prefer the mix match of different brand/type of the tires. From the previous experience of noise issues. Tread wear is uneven and the agility of the tires are different

Hence, as of today, that Scorpion Zero is only option for 741M tires with a compromise of the width other than increasing the diameter of the wheel set.
Thanks for updating. Yeah, probably best not to mix/match brands.

Was thinking of a last minute trip to Yosemite, but I'm screwed b/c of these stupid Summer tires. Pretty sure it's not a good idea to risk it with a projected 18F forecast.

Who did you get to install? I typically just get my tires changed at Costco, but I'm pretty sure they'll refuse to do it as it's not OEM sizing.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 11:09 AM   #17
bimmerwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hey do you have picture of your car?
Seems like you went with smaller tire size than factory and trying to see how it looks.

I am considering doing 265/45/21 and 295/40/21
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 10:11 PM   #18
Whitebb
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey do you have picture of your car?
Seems like you went with smaller tire size than factory and trying to see how it looks.

I am considering doing 265/45/21 and 295/40/21
I thought about going 45 front and 40 rear but personally, it just ruins the look of the sleekness
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 10:20 PM   #19
bimmerwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I thought about going 45 front and 40 rear but personally, it just ruins the look of the sleekness
do you have a picture of your current set up???
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 12:06 PM   #20
gjaeger
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

How have those sizes been working out on the 741Ms? I'm considering doing the same, though I might try the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires. I know from the factory the 741M's come with 275/315 F/R so I'm curious if you've had any issues. Thanks.
Appreciate 0