BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-22-2021, 02:17 AM   #1
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Bimmercode Fog Light Option

Question on this feature, I searched and couldn't find the answer.

"Fog lights with parking lights
Allows the fog lights to be turned on with parking lights.

Values:

Active
Not active"

Question, since I assume the parking lights are on when the headlights are on does this mean the fogs will be on when the headlights are on as well? Basically when in "auto" mode will both headlights and fogs come on simultaneously?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 05:51 AM   #2
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 X5

So the way the headlights work (in the US) is that main beams need to be on before allowing fogs to turn on.

The rest of the world does not have this restriction so you can turn on your fogs even with the "parking lights" on. This was a big annoyance for US car owners back in the day.

Sadly, it does not turn on the fogs automatically... They must be manually turned on every time. European laws do not allow driving with fogs on unless its foggy or raining.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 11:34 PM   #3
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Solid View Post
So the way the headlights work (in the US) is that main beams need to be on before allowing fogs to turn on.

The rest of the world does not have this restriction so you can turn on your fogs even with the "parking lights" on. This was a big annoyance for US car owners back in the day.

Sadly, it does not turn on the fogs automatically... They must be manually turned on every time. European laws do not allow driving with fogs on unless its foggy or raining.

I like driving with my fogs & headlights at night for better coverage. It’s why I wish I could code it to come on automatically when the headlights do. Ironically my Lexus has this feature from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 03:26 AM   #4
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll View Post
I like driving with my fogs & headlights at night for better coverage. It’s why I wish I could code it to come on automatically when the headlights do. Ironically my Lexus has this feature from the factory.
I agree. You can see the improved view of the road when you switch on the fog lights.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 09:31 AM   #5
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll View Post
I agree. Its mostly a European thing that default to OFF for regulation reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
I agree. You can see the improved view of the road when you switch on the fog lights.
One thing i'll note is that I realized the Adaptive lights (specifically laser) does not trigger (or have a delayed trigger rate) for the high beams when the fogs are ON.

wish i could find a way to segregate the two so i can always have my footlights and my adaptive high beams.
Appreciate 0