Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bichoo View Post
Has anyone noticed a reduction in power by keeping the flap open?
I did this early on on x40i. Did not notice any reduction in power.

Maybe I should also add that I start and drive solely in Sport+ (when manually driving). Perhaps the various remappings in Sport+ (throttle response, transmission gear choice, etc.) hide any variation due to this.
      05-18-2020, 11:03 PM   #68
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisV View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I can confirm that BimmerLink (from the maker of BimmerCode) does open the flap. The car needs to be engine-running, however. I did use this technique to open the flap and pull the cable to have it stick open.
what adaptor are you using? i'm using OBDLink MX+ with BimmerLink and can't hear it opening or closing at all. Also when i hit "Open" it goes right back to "Auto"...
Same adaptor. Try what homerrr suggests — in the meantime I'll check my settings to see if they match his suggestion.
yeah lmk your settings when you get a chance. thanks
My settings are similar to homerrr:

Type: electric
Timeout: no
Slave present: Automatic

Definitely seems to work.
So reviving this - I can't seem to find the setting section in Bimmerlink where i can change these settings for the exhaust flap once i change it to open. Any idea?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 11:39 PM   #69
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by samvora View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I can confirm that BimmerLink (from the maker of BimmerCode) does open the flap. The car needs to be engine-running, however. I did use this technique to open the flap and pull the cable to have it stick open.
what adaptor are you using? i'm using OBDLink MX+ with BimmerLink and can't hear it opening or closing at all. Also when i hit "Open" it goes right back to "Auto"...
Same adaptor. Try what homerrr suggests — in the meantime I'll check my settings to see if they match his suggestion.

So reviving this - I can't seem to find the setting section in Bimmerlink where i can change these settings for the exhaust flap once i change it to open. Any idea?
Not clear what you're asking, but taking a guess ... Bimmerlink opens the flap, you need to use another technique to keep it open: a) unplug fuse, b) pull the control cable, or c) without using Bimmerlink at all, pull the coupling pin and tie off the flap with a wire.

Everything other than the fuse requires getting under car, a small socket set, and small pliers. I don't believe anyone has yet found a coding to keep the flap open, Bimmerlink rather only gives you control to open it when and ONLY WHILE the engine is running.
      05-19-2020, 01:19 PM   #70
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by samvora View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not clear what you're asking, but taking a guess ... Bimmerlink opens the flap, you need to use another technique to keep it open: a) unplug fuse, b) pull the control cable, or c) without using Bimmerlink at all, pull the coupling pin and tie off the flap with a wire.

Everything other than the fuse requires getting under car, a small socket set, and small pliers. I don't believe anyone has yet found a coding to keep the flap open, Bimmerlink rather only gives you control to open it when and ONLY WHILE the engine is running.
I am referring to changing the settings within the app that you have mentioned. I am talking about the Settings like type, time out and slave that you have mentioned. I had done that in the past when I got the app for the first time but I had to delete and download the app again for whatever reason it was not working and since then I have not been able to find the settings section
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 03:28 AM   #71
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Hi everyone, new here and using this as my first post to gain full access.
Just in the throws of purchasing a demo M50i so lots of bells and whistles.

I am coming out of a Panamera Turbo S which is just amazing but it has to go as I'm soon to be a granddad and need the room.

Anyway, the most amazing thing about the Panamera is it's sound, OMG the pops and crackles are to die for. So I started researching the M50i and soon came across a lot of comments saying its sound could be so much better.

I was reading with interest the lengths you guys have gone to to achieve a better sound, pulling fuses at certain speeds, love it lol.

I haven't seen a mention of what I came across and wondered if it was of interest. Many different versions covered including the M50i but I've linked it in the 40i version here

https://www.leib-engineering.de/leib...rive40i-g05-en
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 10:31 AM   #72
TRX
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M sport

So I tried doing pulling fuse while driving thing with my brother, he was doing 2nd gear sport mode around 6000rpm i pulled it out, and tbh the difference is not huge, the startup is similar, except in comfort mode now slightly more throaty or louder like its in sport mode, while sport mode sound same, so basically I put fuse back as i feel like the gains are minimal doing it in my 50i, at least with putting it back i get the quiet exhaust when i want it...... any other experiences? Maybe it wasnt fully open for me when i pulled it?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 04:14 PM   #73
pavloPL
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 M Sport 40i

I have used Bimmerlink app and fuse trick and it works nicely.
There is a comparison video I made

Only thing just worrying is when having flaps open the car generated a huge amount of heat. When I open the door even after just casual drive the heat just hits me from underneath the car which never happens on stock settings.
      05-26-2020, 05:39 PM   #74
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavloPL View Post

Only thing just worrying is when having flaps open the car generated a huge amount of heat. When I open the door even after just casual drive the heat just hits me from underneath the car which never happens on stock settings.
Re: heat, are you sure you didn't start driving in Sport Plus mode at the same time you opened the flap? Or maybe just the ambient temperatures are higher now? I don't recall noting a heat difference wrt the flap, so that might be worrying indeed.
      05-26-2020, 08:02 PM   #75
pavloPL
Private
Rep

Quote:
Re: heat, are you sure you didn't start driving in Sport Plus mode at the same time you opened the flap? Or maybe just the ambient temperatures are higher now? I don't recall noting a heat difference wrt the flap, so that might be worrying indeed.
Usually Adaptive, done testing the same day with stock settings and yes is massive difference with a heat generated. I will test more but if continues probably I will close the flaps for a sake of the car.
      05-26-2020, 08:14 PM   #76
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavloPL View Post

I would love to know how you get more heat under the car by opening an exhaust valve flap that allows exhaust gases to exit the rear of the car? The heat is coming out of the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 04:17 PM   #77
pavloPL
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130FeetDeep View Post
I would love to know how you get more heat under the car by opening an exhaust valve flap that allows exhaust gases to exit the rear of the car? The heat is coming out of the exhaust.
I agree that should be cool as all hot gases exit in rear. So not sure, maybe this year some changes in exhaust system that not really allow for full open valves.
Even when car is in Auto and Sport Plus opens valves it does not sound full.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 10:24 AM   #78
TRX
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M sport

So after deciding the flap hack is pointless in 50i model i got to try other things and I found something interesting not sure if im imagining or it does work, basically if you put it in sport individual and set everything comfort, even at 1K rpm you will hear more bassful sound from exhaust compared to comfort once you hit little of gas or drive normally.....

Keep switching between the 2 and hear the difference (keep in mind I think 50i flaps open easier than 40i models, so might not work in 40i) anyway i found it interesting thing despite engine and trasmission in comfort!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 06:02 AM   #79
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRX View Post
So after deciding the flap hack is pointless in 50i model i got to try other things and I found something interesting not sure if im imagining or it does work, basically if you put it in sport individual and set everything comfort, even at 1K rpm you will hear more bassful sound from exhaust compared to comfort once you hit little of gas or drive normally.....

Keep switching between the 2 and hear the difference (keep in mind I think 50i flaps open easier than 40i models, so might not work in 40i) anyway i found it interesting thing despite engine and trasmission in comfort!
I think that's more likely to be the ASD. Try coding ASD on and off to see the difference.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 06:05 AM   #80
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

After playing with Bimmerlink opening and closing the exhaust flap, I decided to do this mod today on my 40i. I like the additional rumble and bass that you get on startup and low speed.

Next step is to install my downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 04:54 PM   #81
laschon
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (F15)

Is this exhaust flap opening applicable only with the factory installed M Sport Exhaust (or maybe just without it?) or is it worthwhile in both cases?

I have just bought a 40i (almost but not quite new) and the only thing missing from my wishlist is the M Sport Exhaust. Just to be clear, it’s the European version.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 01:57 PM   #82
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

The funny thing is the flap is open for me when I remote start the vehicle but closes when I sit in the car and press the 'start' button.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 10:57 AM   #83
2SwiFt29
2GR-FSE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M Sport

Recently took the car in for service. I left the fuse out. Can’t tell if the flap is open after the service. Should I put the fuse back on and redo the trick again of pulling it out while driving?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 11:54 PM   #84
redbullfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 TR X3MC

Garage List
2022 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
hey guys so my MY21 doesnt make the upshift snap noise like in the video. I used bimmer link to open the valve and I remember the MY19 cars making that noise but mine doesn't

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 04:53 PM   #85
Galion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 - 750iL

Pulled the fuse at WOT Sport+ M2. How do I know the flap is open? Not a noticeable difference in sound, and can´t see the flap since the exhaust is curved. Anyone knows?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 10:47 AM   #86
UltraDave
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

Non-Poor Man’s Exhaust Flap Mod

You don’t have to worry about playing with fuses or unconnecting wires. Just get the BimmerLink app and an obdII connector. Push a button and you’re done!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 07:11 AM   #87
TopperX5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Will this work on the 40i X-line package or do you need to have the M sport package?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 02:38 PM   #88
bioman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galion View Post
Pulled the fuse at WOT Sport+ M2. How do I know the flap is open? Not a noticeable difference in sound, and can´t see the flap since the exhaust is curved. Anyone knows?
After cold start is done, you should feel the exhaust gases coming out of both tips instead of just one.
Appreciate 0