BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-23-2020, 09:18 AM   #1
SWBOS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Soon - X5 40i

Coding "Trailer Mode"

I've got an after market hitch installed for carrying my bike rack and don't have the option for "Trailer Mode" in iDrive.
My guess is that it gets coded by default only when you purchase the vehicle with the OEM hitch.

Would anyone happen to know what the coding parameters are please?

I have Bimmercode which may or may not have the Expert Mode access to these, if not, I'd like to share these codes with the folks at StealthHitches so that they can help with some remote coding.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 11:53 AM   #2
barrowdad
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30D M Sport (G05)

I've got the same interest in coding the trailer Rear Camera Zoom function as I've got an after market towbar fitted. My previous X5s both had the OEM towbar and I really miss the Trailer Zoom feature when backing up to my caravan so I would be very interested and grateful if you ever find out the answer.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 12:05 PM   #3
Shawzy44
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40iX

No need to code. Once the module and harness are installed and plunged into a trailer, trailer mode is activated.

Great thread and youtube video on this:

OEM Trailer Hitch Retrofit? https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1720879

2023 BMW X3 M40i
2019 BMW X5 40iX
2019 BMW 440iX M Performance Cabriolet
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 05:57 PM   #4
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawzy44 View Post
No need to code. Once the module and harness are installed and plunged into a trailer, trailer mode is activated.

OEM Trailer Hitch Retrofit? https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1720879
I am not sure about that. My BMW dealer who installed a post-factory OEM hitch said quite a bit of coding is involved, and no it cannot be DIY coded (Bimmercode or other).

Personally, I wouldn't mess with this car's electronics, its way too sophisticated, and with all the cars advanced safety systems proper integration is critical.
Appreciate 1
kgelfen3602138.50
      11-03-2020, 11:21 PM   #5
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

It depends on what you used for your harness. There are some dumb harnesses that just listen on the CANBUS, and can activate the lights on a trailer, but, to make things work automatically, the module needs to talk back to the central computer. If you have that module, then you can get all of the trailer functionality automatically when you plug something in.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 11:27 AM   #6
barrowdad
Rep

To be clear the towbar I have fitted is not a post-factory OEM hitch but a third-party one (Westfalia) supplied and fitted by their approved agent. This has a detachable towball and the arrangement is invisible when the towball is detached and the 13 pin towing electrics socket is swung back up into its stowed position. The wiring is working all the lights and interconnections to the caravan but some features that are activated with the OEM hitch are not activated. As I understand it these include 1. Disablling the rear parking sensors when reverse is engaged (Not a biggy as I can switch these off manually), 2. The rear Fog lights are inhibited (so as not to cause a dazzling reflection in the rear view mirror) again not a biggy as I rarely tow a caravan in fog and these can be switched off manually. 3. The main feature missing from a non-OEM fit is that when backing up to the trailer the rear view camera 'Trailer Zoom' feature is greyed out i.e. not activated. I believe this does not involve any hardware modification merely to switch the camera angle so that it provides a close-up view of the towball to assist in alignment of the car to the trailer (and in so doing takes the wife out of the process)! To summarise: I would like to know if Rear Camera zoom can be coded to be active even without any changes to the wiring.
Appreciate 1
Damsph6.50
      11-04-2020, 02:11 PM   #7
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

When I looked over the Westphalia instructions years ago, they included a short list of what parameters must be programmed to make it function as OEM. It's my understanding that the OEM hitch BMW uses in Europe is made by Westphalia, but the harness needs to be patched in if the vehicle doesn't have the required plugs already there. On the US versions, they supposedly have or did have that ready to plug in.

So, if the people that installed it haven't thrown the instructions away...look through them. If I remember, it's only about 4-5 items that need to be tweaked for it to recognize the hitch and wiring. Once you have that, you should see it in the menu, and it will automatically switch to towing mode when something is plugged in, like say a light bar for your bike rack.

I ended up with a RightConnections harness, and their box is already programmed, so it's just hook it up, but Westphalia follows more the OEM route and requires programming to make it work (or at least did when I last looked into it).
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 04:23 AM   #8
barrowdad
Rep

Thanks very much for the info which seems to tally with what I was told back in January 2020 when I had the towbar fitted. The fitter spoke to RightConnections technical who said that they were still playing 'catch-up' with the G05 cars and although their current interface did not trigger all the OEM trailer functions they expected to be able to develop one in the future which did. I have been digging into Coding Videos and websites and I am of the opinion that the rear camera functionality I am seeking is not an option that can be simply coded in. I think a trip back to the fitter to see if there is an updated module available yet is the best option. I will update this thread if anything materialises that may help others. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 11:54 PM   #9
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

I just did a little more research, and while RightCOnnections does make a harness, it does not trigger the PDC stuff off, but seems to do most of the other stuff. You'd want to contact them to verify. As of today, they do not list a full-function harness.

I also checked Westphalia, and while they do sell the towbar, for this model, they do not have a harness.

I didn't want to have to deal with that like I did on my previous vehicle, so ordered my X5 with the factory towing package.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 09:42 AM   #10
barrowdad
Rep

Thanks for the update. We seem to have been duplicating effort as I got my after-market towbar fitter who fitted my Westphalia bar and he in turn confirmed with Right Connections (it's their kit that is fitted to my towing electrics/bar) that they do not have a harness that duplicates all the OEM functionality and do not anticipate having one any time soon. I have therefore resigned myself to living with the limited functions. I also know what you mean regarding trying to wrestle with BMW towing related issues. I have had several issues with previous cars even with the OEM factory fit towbar (not being supplied with the ability to run my caravan fridge when towing and also with the bar sticking in the deployed state). Life's too short so I'll just enjoy the other amazing features that my X5 has.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 07:09 PM   #11
Shawzy44
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I had my X5 coded today, the kick to open works as does all the OEM features.

Overall I am happy with the results.

2023 BMW X3 M40i
2019 BMW X5 40iX
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 10:28 PM   #12
Maximus2002
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

Quote:

What hitch did you get, and who did the coding for you? Let us know please.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 03:18 AM   #13
tenzor
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:

Do you have zoom to hook view in parking assist?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 03:40 AM   #14
Shawzy44
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus2002 View Post
Quote:

What hitch did you get, and who did the coding for you? Let us know please.
Stealth hitch and I used a local guy from codemybimmer.ca

He followed the instructions found on the X3 forum.

2023 BMW X3 M40i
2019 BMW X5 40iX
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 03:42 AM   #15
Shawzy44
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenzor View Post
Quote:

Yes. All the same features as the G05 X5s that come with the hitch from the factory.

2023 BMW X3 M40i
2019 BMW X5 40iX
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2021, 08:26 PM   #16
tenzor
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes. All the same features as the G05 X5s that come with the hitch from the factory.
I used codemybimmer.ca too, but can't find zoom to hook function. Does it require trailer connected? I see trailer mode in settings and it does something.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 10:06 PM   #17
Shawzy44
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I used codemybimmer.ca too, but can't find zoom to hook function. Does it require trailer connected? I see trailer mode in settings and it does something.
Push the idrive controller to the left when in reverse to see the cameras menu items. The trailer hitch zoom mode should be listed under for car wash mode.

2023 BMW X3 M40i
2019 BMW X5 40iX
Appreciate 1
tenzor9.00
      01-18-2021, 07:06 PM   #18
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2020 X5

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrowdad View Post
To be clear the towbar I have fitted is not a post-factory OEM hitch but a third-party one (Westfalia) supplied and fitted by their approved agent. This has a detachable towball and the arrangement is invisible when the towball is detached and the 13 pin towing electrics socket is swung back up into its stowed position. The wiring is working all the lights and interconnections to the caravan but some features that are activated with the OEM hitch are not activated. As I understand it these include 1. Disablling the rear parking sensors when reverse is engaged (Not a biggy as I can switch these off manually), 2. The rear Fog lights are inhibited (so as not to cause a dazzling reflection in the rear view mirror) again not a biggy as I rarely tow a caravan in fog and these can be switched off manually. 3. The main feature missing from a non-OEM fit is that when backing up to the trailer the rear view camera 'Trailer Zoom' feature is greyed out i.e. not activated. I believe this does not involve any hardware modification merely to switch the camera angle so that it provides a close-up view of the towball to assist in alignment of the car to the trailer (and in so doing takes the wife out of the process)! To summarise: I would like to know if Rear Camera zoom can be coded to be active even without any changes to the wiring.
I coded the trailer zoom function to work on my F15 without a tow bar fitted using E says software and I have seen this exact same FDL command is codeable in the G05 coding thread but will probably have to be done with E Sys software. I am in the process of updating my Esys software to support my recently acquired G05 2.5D and will check BTW my X5 came standard with a factory fitted tow bar. (Australian spec)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T9_...ew?usp=sharing

Line 70
      01-18-2021, 09:11 PM   #19
Shawzy44
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambazonke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrowdad View Post
I coded the trailer zoom function to work on my F15 without a tow bar fitted using E says software and I have seen this exact same FDL command is codeable in the G05 coding thread but will probably have to be done with E Sys software. I am in the process of updating my Esys software to support my recently acquired G05 2.5D and will check BTW my X5 came standard with a factory fitted tow bar. (Australian spec)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T9_...ew?usp=sharing

Line 70
Once you have the OEM controller installed (using OEM harness) you can code the trailer mode and trailer camera zoom.

2023 BMW X3 M40i
2019 BMW X5 40iX
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 03:35 AM   #20
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2020 X5

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Once you have the OEM controller installed (using OEM harness) you can code the trailer mode and trailer camera zoom.
I already have trailer mode menu active in my iDrive menu as the tow bar was fitted ex factory all I need is the wiring harness, trailer module and ball fitting I will code the camera zoom once I have upgraded my version of E Sys to support the G series generation
      06-03-2021, 08:45 AM   #21
Brett Nosse
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i Pure 2002 JCW Cooper

Quote:

Hi so simply you bought the module and trailer mode appeared? I got my dealer to fit a towbar (they supplied non genuine, doesn't worry me, ) and I don't have trailer mode.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 05:07 PM   #22
Shawzy44
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Nosse View Post
Quote:

Hi so simply you bought the module and trailer mode appeared? I got my dealer to fit a towbar (they supplied non genuine, doesn't worry me, ) and I don't have trailer mode.
Trailer module, OEM harness and programming to if you want get the trailer camera to work and the kick to open tailgate.

2023 BMW X3 M40i
2019 BMW X5 40iX
Appreciate 0