12-01-2020, 07:42 PM   #1
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Deactivate Auto Headlight Switch

I looked in the owners manual. No luck.
Is there a way that I can control when the headlights come on? When I start the car in the garage, the headlights come on. Same thing when I return. The headlights come on as I pull into the garage.
Using the off button will turn them off, till the next time started, then the Auto button is lit up again and the same repeats.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 09:07 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Rather than using the Off button just press the Auto button and that should turn off the Auto function.
Attached Images

12-02-2020, 12:53 AM   #3
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Rather than using the Off button just press the Auto button and that should turn off the Auto function.
That didn't work for me. I just tried this today. The headlights were on and I pushed the "Auto" button and they remained on. I'm on iStep version 07/2020.31 for reference purposes.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 06:53 AM   #4
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
That didn't work for me. I just tried this today. The headlights were on and I pushed the "Auto" button and they remained on. I'm on iStep version 07/2020.31 for reference purposes.
Yes, I would imagine they would at that point since they are on. What happened the next time you stated the vehicle though. I know I have accidentally hit the Auto off and my lights didn't come on.
      12-02-2020, 12:58 PM   #5
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Low-beam headlight is automatically switched on when the system recognizes that it is dark, even in OFF mode and when driving readiness is activated (Auto)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 01:41 PM   #6
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Low-beam headlight is automatically switched on when the system recognizes that it is dark, even in OFF mode and when driving readiness is activated (Auto)
So basically, BMW has decided that they know better than we and there really is no "Auto" mode since there is no way to disable it and force the car "Not" to turn on the headlights. Basically, the "Auto" button is a useless non functioning button placed on the button stack for esthetics not functionality. Redundancy with no purpose. "Auto" is engaged and can't be disengaged.

BMW needs to open their eyes and minds and actually use these features so they can see the error in their ways!I'm sure this will never happen though.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 02:46 PM   #7
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

With an incandescent lamp, that might be a problem, but not so much with LED bulbs...an incandescent generally fails when first turning on, the surge through it does that. An LED doesn't really care.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 03:18 PM   #8
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:
So basically, BMW has decided that they know better than we and there really is no "Auto" mode since there is no way to disable it and force the car "Not" to turn on the headlights. Basically, the "Auto" button is a useless non functioning button placed on the button stack for esthetics not functionality. Redundancy with no purpose. "Auto" is engaged and can't be disengaged.

BMW needs to open their eyes and minds and actually use these features so they can see the error in their ways!I'm sure this will never happen though.

There are times when you may want to turn the lights on, when raining for example. Then you can hit Auto to turn them back to light sensing. The button has purpose
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 03:37 PM   #9
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer518 View Post
There are times when you may want to turn the lights on, when raining for example. Then you can hit Auto to turn them back to light sensing. The button has purpose
Doesn't the car turn the lights on automatically when it's raining? I think it does.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 04:12 PM   #10
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

"Automatic headlight
control
Concept
The low beams are switched on and off automat‐
ically depending on the ambient brightness, for
example in tunnels, in twilight or if there is pre‐
cipitation."

From the manual. In some places, headlights are required when using wipers, so having them come on automatically makes sense.

Now, if the headlight control is NOT in auto, I'm not positive that it does turn them on any time.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 07:19 PM   #11
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I know it looks old, but at least on my previous 2019 X3 M40i, it had the rotary switch and leaving it in the 0 position ensured that I controlled when the headlights should be on and off.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 12:03 AM   #12
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer518 View Post
The only time the "Auto" button does anything is if you are parked and the transmission is in Park. As soon as you start driving the Auto Button does nothing. Neither does the "Off" button. While driving in broad daylight with no rain, sun shinning, no shadows, no trees, no clouds, etc., you can push both of those buttons all day long and nothing happens.

There's a message that pops up on the instrument panel stating that Headlights can not be turned off while driving if you push the "Off" button. Pushing the "Auto" button just throws a message that you have activated the Auto Headlights. Pushing the "Auto" button again just repeats the same message. The "Auto" button LED remains on regardless if you push the "Auto" or the "Off" button. In other words, while driving, you can NOT turn off "Auto" head lights and you Can NOT turn of the head lights by pressing the "Off" button. The "Auto" button LED remains lighted regardless of which button you push.

All 2019 and newer X5/X7s have the headlight controls shown below. In the US you can't turn off the headlights unless your parked. The picture below says their automatically switched on "when the system recognizes that it is dark, even in the OFF mode and when driving readiness is activated (country-specific)."
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 08:43 PM   #13
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I did some more testing on this today.

1. The "Auto" button is a single action button not a toggle on/off button. It does one thing only. It turn's on the "Auto" function of the headlights. For example, where I live, it was overcast with low hanging clouds in the afternoon around 3:30 PM. When the "Auto" button is turned on the headlights will come on even though it's not anywhere near dusk or dawn. Just less bright than on a clear day. Additionally, they will activate when you enter a tunnel, heavily shaded area, or when it starts raining.

2. The only scenarios where you can turn off the headlights is when the car is stopped. You can, turn the headlights off if you are stopped and the car is running even with the transmission in Drive and the engine running. However, as soon as you start moving pushing the Off button will not turn off the headlights. The message it throws is "Headlights OFF Not while driving".

3. While parked in the garage after returning from my drive, the Headlights were in the "Auto" mode (Auto Mode button LED illuminated). The headlights turned on as soon as I entered the garage. Once I put the car in park I pressed the headlights off button and the headlights turned off. I turned them on again by pressing the "Auto" button. Next, I turned the headlights off by pressing the Off button while the car was still running in Park. I shut the engine off and then started it again. The headlights came on and the "Auto" button LED was illuminated automatically.

So, in a nutshell, the only way you can turn off the headlights is if the car is stopped. However, if it gets really dark, as in dusk or after dark, the headlights will still come back on automatically even though they were turned off before it got dark. When they do come on after being in the off position the Auto LED button will be illuminated.

These headlights are Automatic by default. BMW should rename the "Auto" button to "Adaptive" instead of "Auto" because that's how the "Auto" button works currently. It adapts to the climate conditions such as raining, dusk, dark, etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 11:00 PM   #14
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
I did some more testing on this today.

1. The "Auto" button is a single action button not a toggle on/off button. It does one thing only. It turn's on the "Auto" function of the headlights. For example, where I live, it was overcast with low hanging clouds in the afternoon around 3:30 PM. When the "Auto" button is turned on the headlights will come on even though it's not anywhere near dusk or dawn. Just less bright than on a clear day. Additionally, they will activate when you enter a tunnel, heavily shaded area, or when it starts raining.

2. The only scenarios where you can turn off the headlights is when the car is stopped. You can, turn the headlights off if you are stopped and the car is running even with the transmission in Drive and the engine running. However, as soon as you start moving pushing the Off button will not turn off the headlights. The message it throws is "Headlights OFF Not while driving".

3. While parked in the garage after returning from my drive, the Headlights were in the "Auto" mode (Auto Mode button LED illuminated). The headlights turned on as soon as I entered the garage. Once I put the car in park I pressed the headlights off button and the headlights turned off. I turned them on again by pressing the "Auto" button. Next, I turned the headlights off by pressing the Off button while the car was still running in Park. I shut the engine off and then started it again. The headlights came on and the "Auto" button LED was illuminated automatically.

So, in a nutshell, the only way you can turn off the headlights is if the car is stopped. However, if it gets really dark, as in dusk or after dark, the headlights will still come back on automatically even though they were turned off before it got dark. When they do come on after being in the off position the Auto LED button will be illuminated.

These headlights are Automatic by default. BMW should rename the "Auto" button to "Adaptive" instead of "Auto" because that's how the "Auto" button works currently. It adapts to the climate conditions such as raining, dusk, dark, etc.
Additionally, AUTO is needed to use cornering lights, steering light adjustment, laser lights, and etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 08:01 AM   #15
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 X5

Is there a way to code the switch off the lights while the car is moving? It will not comply currently whenever the car is moving.

Also, on my euro spec car, i can turn off the lights completely but only when stationary.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 01:56 PM   #16
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

MOst of today's instrument panels are illuminated whenever the vehicle is on. When driving around town at night, it is not at all uncommon to see at least one vehicle that does not have their headlights on. When there are street lights, and you can see your instrument panel, the clue to turn the actual headlights on may not be big enough for today's inept or distracted drivers to turn them on. As a safety thing, I don't see a good reason to actually turn them off. Some countries require daylight running lights for this reason. While many things in a modern BMW are controllable with the right computer settings, BMW has not chosen to make many of them available to the user. This is a business decision, and one sometimes dictated by national law based on where the vehicle is delivered.

Yes, many of those functions, nominally locked out from normal user control, can be modified with 'coding' the vehicle. As a result, the community is spoiled into thinking that they have the right to modify the vehicle any way they want.

The way I look at it, while that is a nice feature, it is not sold to the customer that way otherwise, they'd include it in the normal menus. You bought the vehicle as is. If you can't change it, tough!

That won't stop me or anyone from searching for ways to customize their vehicle, but complaining about the features as sold might get the manufacturer to change things, but is not a requirement. If it bothers you so much, next time, don't buy the same vehicle. IOW, if you don't like the implementation as delivered, you probably shouldn't have bought it if it bothers you that much. ANything that you tweak afterwards is a bonus. Few things in life are perfect.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 06:58 PM   #17
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

So when it's bright and sunny outside, the headlights are always on? Even though I have the DRL's activated?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 07:11 PM   #18
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
So when it's bright and sunny outside, the headlights are always on? Even though I have the DRL's activated?
Ne, they're off. Just the front and rear DRLs are on.

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 07:38 PM   #19
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's what I thought. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 09:21 PM   #20
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Daytime running lights have there own setting in iDrive separate from the Headlight stack below the dash.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 09:54 PM   #21
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Additionally, AUTO is needed to use cornering lights, steering light adjustment, laser lights, and etc.
I just found this digging through the manual. Even BMW calls the functionality of the "Auto" button "Adaptive". Yet they label the button "Auto" instead of "Adaptive". I realize that the word "adaptive" is a long word but they could have labeled the switch "ADAPT" or some other name that describes the functionality of the switch better than "Auto". The car already has Auto on/off functionality without the Adaptive functionality for cornering, auto high beam, etc.

It blows my mind how some of these Designers, Programmers and Engineers come up with what "They" think is a good idea. BMW thinks it makes sense but those that are using their "good" ideas are coming here on the forums asking how to use their "good ideas".

I still love the car and the technology is light years ahead of what I've ever driven. I drive it every day.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 10:01 PM   #22
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Daytime running lights have there own setting in iDrive separate from the Headlight stack below the dash.
Je, I aware of that. Member was inquiring if the headlights were on during the day in addition to DRLs in AUTO - not enabling or disabling DRLs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Most G05s are delivered with front DRLs on and 11/2019.70 enabled rear DRLs but combined enable/disable with fronts.

Name:  IMG_0092.jpg
Views: 2467
Size:  188.6 KB

Appreciate 0