07-03-2021, 06:53 AM   #23
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
I bought the tape for my wife's GTi as it had the same torsion squeak as being talked about here. Thing is, it only happened after I detailed her car and put wax on the metal portion of the body door frame area where the door closes to the body of the car. Tried all sorts of things to get rid of it including the tape but to no avail. I have removed the tape and used a spray detergent cleaner on the felt (or whatever its made out of) gasket that is at the top of the door frame. I'm not talking about the black rubber seal, rather what looks like a thin rubber seal with a felt like substance attached to it. When the door is closed, its this rubber seal with the felt substance that you see when standing outside the car. This is the first barrier to rain that the door has.
After several cleaning attempts, the noise is 80% gone but the 20% still bugs me. I hesitate putting Gummipflege or anything else on it as it did not come that way from the factory and it didn't squeak till I detailed it. Sorry, I don't have pix at this writing but here is a copy of the one already posted that I annotated to try and get some clarity as to where you are putting the Gummipflege.
todd92, where exactly did you put the Gummipflege? Take a look at the pic I posted in this thread and tell us.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 06:56 AM   #24
todd92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 ZHP, 19 X5 xDrive40i

I answered that several posts ago. I put it on both the rubber and the felt, liberally. Noise went away.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 07:21 AM   #25
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd92 View Post
I answered that several posts ago. I put it on both the rubber and the felt, liberally. Noise went away.
Sorry, I see that post now, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 07:06 AM   #26
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Before buying something new, I wanted to see if using something I already had on hand would work. I applied Aerospace 303 on the door seals and all other contacts points and it's quiet now. Not sure how long it will last, but this stuff worked just the same.

I originally got this stuff to use on my Lexus' sunroof seal as it was known to dry and crack and eventually fail. Ever since, I typically apply this to all rubber seals, but just never got around to it on this car.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 07:54 AM   #27
Usher9387
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 03:20 PM   #28
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
Before buying something new, I wanted to see if using something I already had on hand would work. I applied Aerospace 303 on the door seals and all other contacts points and it's quiet now. Not sure how long it will last, but this stuff worked just the same.

I originally got this stuff to use on my Lexus' sunroof seal as it was known to dry and crack and eventually fail. Ever since, I typically apply this to all rubber seals, but just never got around to it on this car.
Yup. I believe it is what is used on the seals of aircraft doors and such. From what I know, if you apply a spray, you need to repeat it every 2-3 months. 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 07:47 AM   #29
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Thank God someone posted about this. It drives me crazy when I drive my wife's car.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 07:25 PM   #30
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

In case this helps anyone, I finally found the source of the buzz in the door that buzzes when listening to talk radio and someone with a deep voice is speaking.

The source is a tiny little trim piece inside the door pull that I assume covers a screw. I can't see it, only feel it with my fingertips. I'm planning to just put a piece of scotch tape on it, because just barely touching the piece stops the buzzing.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 10:14 PM   #31
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I don't know that mine is exactly a door squeak. It sounds like the whole interior frame of my car creaks and cracks when I'm driving. It's absolutely awful that a car of this price range would sound like it does. My X5 is garage kept & gets detailed once a month. I'm going to try and get a sound video next time I drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 08:17 AM   #32
Paul-in-MA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Back in the 90's a Honda dealer gave me a tube of silicone to apply to the rubber gasket on a huge sunroof that was creaking. Worked fantastic. After some searching I see it is still available today. It's called Honda Shin-Etsu Grease 08798-9013. This video helped me locate the name of the product:

Appreciate 1
      07-15-2021, 08:32 PM   #33
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-in-MA View Post
Back in the 90's a Honda dealer gave me a tube of silicone to apply to the rubber gasket on a huge sunroof that was creaking. Worked fantastic. After some searching I see it is still available today. It's called Honda Shin-Etsu Grease 08798-9013. This video helped me locate the name of the product:

I had a then brand new 98 Accord Coupe V6 and same thing, dealer gave me a tube of that grease for the sunroof seal.
Worked like a charm.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 05:12 AM   #34
pragueX5
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M 40d mildhybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
I don't know that mine is exactly a door squeak. It sounds like the whole interior frame of my car creaks and cracks when I'm driving. It's absolutely awful that a car of this price range would sound like it does. My X5 is garage kept & gets detailed once a month. I'm going to try and get a sound video next time I drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post

exactly - detail every month. its actually all those chemicals and polishes and waxes that contaminate the rubber seals and then creating the squeaking) just a fact
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 07:43 PM   #35
scottomfg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 Cayman S 6MT, '21 X5 45E

Just wanted to thank the prior posters for this thread, wish I had seen it earlier but I guess it's been a while since anyone has had this issue. I first started getting a creaking issue on the drivers door right by my ear a couple months ago. The creak wasn't *too* bad, and since I wasn't aware of an easy solution it kept getting moved to the "I'll deal with that later" list.

For me, the technique of just pushing on various parts of the door until you reached a creaky part worked like a charm. Then I used masking tape to do a dry-run and pinpoint the exact part of the frame that needed to be covered. Got it on the first try. Creak was 100% gone, I was amazed at how completely a simple piece of tape silenced it. From total exasperation to silent bliss.

I ordered some of the Polyethylene Film Tape (https://amzn.to/36rE9xu) others have used and will replace the masking tape then. Easy peasy. Second time in a week I've been helped by this forum, thanks everyone for contributing.

(Don't know why photo is sideways, has proper orientation prior to uploading.)
Attached Images

2014 981 Cayman S 6MT, X73 Suspension, SES
2021 X5 45e MSport, Manhattan Green, Coffee Merino, Review & Photos
Previous: '18 340 GT, '15 M235i 6MT, '15 i3 REx, '15 x1 xDrive28i

Last edited by scottomfg; 03-16-2022 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: Don't know why photo is sideways, has proper orientation prior to uploading.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 11:33 PM   #36
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottomfg View Post
Just wanted to thank the prior posters for this thread, wish I had seen it earlier but I guess it's been a while since anyone has had this issue. I first started getting a creaking issue on the drivers door right by my ear a couple months ago. The creak wasn't *too* bad, and since I wasn't aware of an easy solution it kept getting moved to the "I'll deal with that later" list.

For me, the technique of just pushing on various parts of the door until you reached a creaky part worked like a charm. Then I used masking tape to do a dry-run and pinpoint the exact part of the frame that needed to be covered. Got it on the first try. Creak was 100% gone, I was amazed at how completely a simple piece of tape silenced it. From total exasperation to silent bliss.

I ordered some of the Polyethylene Film Tape (https://amzn.to/36rE9xu) others have used and will replace the masking tape then. Easy peasy. Second time in a week I've been helped by this forum, thanks everyone for contributing.

I have what seems to be what you're describing on my wife's X5 almost from a little after we got it. The dealer first replaced door seals. Then they replaced the door panel (some $3500 part) including speaker cover. Each time, the problem would go away for 2-3 months and then come back. It's back now and I hate hearing it in an otherwise silent car. Since parts take time to come, Ive done 4-5 visits now - once for the diagnosis and once for the fix. It seems to be primarily caused by body flex from a change in slope at very low speeds (garage to sloping driveway to flat road at 1-2 mph), and then later it progressively proceeds to become almost a rattle on bad roads.

Anyway to the real question - I can't make out where you applied tape in your photo. (On my phone at least). Do you have a pic where you can point out what was done?
      03-16-2022, 11:37 PM   #37
scottomfg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 Cayman S 6MT, '21 X5 45E

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Quote:

I have what seems to be what you're describing on my wife's X5 almost from a little after we got it. The dealer first replaced door seals. Then they replaced the door panel (some $3500 part) including speaker cover. Each time, the problem would go away for 2-3 months and then come back. It's back now and I hate hearing it in an otherwise silent car. Since parts take time to come, Ive done 4-5 visits now - once for the diagnosis and once for the fix. It seems to be primarily caused by body flex from a change in slope at very low speeds (garage to sloping driveway to flat road at 1-2 mph), and then later it progressively proceeds to become almost a rattle on bad roads.

Anyway to the real question - I can't make out where you applied tape in your photo. (On my phone at least). Do you have a pic where you can point out what was done?
Rotate the photo 90°, blue tape is top right of door opening. See center console in background for orientation.

And yes, creaks were when going over bumps or even low speed turning, anything flexing the chassis.

2014 981 Cayman S 6MT, X73 Suspension, SES
2021 X5 45e MSport, Manhattan Green, Coffee Merino, Review & Photos
Previous: '18 340 GT, '15 M235i 6MT, '15 i3 REx, '15 x1 xDrive28i
Appreciate 1
kjx3210.00
      03-16-2022, 11:44 PM   #38
kjx
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Rotate the photo 90°, blue tape is top right of door opening. See center console in background for orientation.

And yes, creaks were when going over bumps or even low speed turning, anything flexing the chassis.
That looks too simple to be true. You're getting my hopes up. If it works, it also means BMW wasted several thousand dollars in parts, investigations and labor. Fingers crossed this is all I need. Thanks for sharing!
      03-17-2022, 08:13 AM   #39
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Each squeak may be in a different location and you may have more than one and on more than one door. Go around the entire car, pressing on the top of the door (window frame) and note where the squeaks are and those will be the places you would put the tape. You could also just run a contiguous piece of tape along the entire surface. Once the tape is applied and pressed firmly, to get any air bubbles out, it basically become transparent but as you clean/wax the car, the edge may show as that's where it will catch any wax. Still, pretty hard to notice unless you intentionally want to

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 11:44 AM   #40
skyline408
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 2022 F95 X5M

I had the dreaded squeak - my fault really, as I used some sort of cleaner wax on the door jamb areas and it did not play nicely with the rubber seals.

Even with a good wiping of 90% alcohol didn't remedy it. I did the gummi phledge on all the rubber seals and it did nothing.

Finally, on another thread I read here ordered some 1" thick strips of PPF film and just applied it around where the blue tape is shown and it eliminated 95% of the squeak. I still here it on occasion, but it's probably just due to how stiff the chassis is on my F95.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 07:54 PM   #41
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

If your window frames creak over bumps, you can spray a little silicone spray onto a towel and rub it into the felt strip that runs along the very top edge of the inside of the door, above the window. This completely silenced the door creaks for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 08:38 PM   #42
kjx
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Quote:
Each squeak may be in a different location and you may have more than one and on more than one door. Go around the entire car, pressing on the top of the door (window frame) and note where the squeaks are and those will be the places you would put the tape. You could also just run a contiguous piece of tape along the entire surface. Once the tape is applied and pressed firmly, to get any air bubbles out, it basically become transparent but as you clean/wax the car, the edge may show as that's where it will catch any wax. Still, pretty hard to notice unless you intentionally want to

I used masking tape like he did and omg it's gone. Completely silent. Crazy. I will tell my SA and the shop foreman when I go in for my next service. May get my detailer to PPF. This thread needs to be stickied.
      03-17-2022, 10:03 PM   #43
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

I did not have this problem in my E36 318is, E46 328i or my wife's F25 X3. But had it really bad in a E60 530i and now in my G07 X7.
The fix for me was to use gummypflange on the rubber seal around the doors and a couple of coats of real carnuba wax on the painted surface that these rubber door seals comes in contact with on the car. (Not synthetic wax, ceramic coating or anything else, just pure good old fashioned carnuba wax).
This will usually quiet it down for several months (sometimes as long as a year).
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 09:17 AM   #44
MadSpirit
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X4, X5

Both BMW Gummipflege and Sonax work perfectly 👍
Same problem since E90 and now in G05 and G02.
First of all do not use silicone, it will make worse.
Put Gummipflege twice a year on all previously cleaned rubber seals.
Appreciate 0