05-20-2021, 09:33 AM   #23
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbmwx3 View Post
Yes I have, not the same issue as you, I have mineral white discolouration on one side of the bumper and it's currently under investigation by BMW FS. BMW FS has seen my photos and concur there's a discolouration and have put that on record, my dealer now ignoring my calls.
Funny you mention this. My dealer pointed out a similar issue with my rear MW bumper. In my case, I've been lucky as they were the ones who noticed and arranged to get it fixed. - I wouldn't be surprised if it's a known issue that BMW told the dealers to watch out for… not sure why your dealer is giving you a hard time, maybe try another?
      05-20-2021, 10:30 AM   #24
mrbmwx3
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
Quote:
Yes I have, not the same issue as you, I have mineral white discolouration on one side of the bumper and it's currently under investigation by BMW FS. BMW FS has seen my photos and concur there's a discolouration and have put that on record, my dealer now ignoring my calls.
Funny you mention this. My dealer pointed out a similar issue with my rear MW bumper. In my case, I've been lucky as they were the ones who noticed and arranged to get it fixed. - I wouldn't be surprised if it's a known issue that BMW told the dealers to watch out for… not sure why your dealer is giving you a hard time, maybe try another?
Interesting, what exactly was your issue? I have a separate thread about this somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 01:32 AM   #25
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
Quote:
Interesting, what exactly was your issue? I have a separate thread about this somewhere.
Funnily enough, it was pointed out as a small area on the top part of the rear bumper, where the tail gate opens onto. At the time, I could barely see it and just assumed it was something with the ceramic coating not being applied properly and would be an easy fix.

Today I picked up my ride after nearly 2 weeks of being at the dealer and saw this. (See attachment)

At first I thought it was dirt, but whatever it is, is under the clear coat. The work order states they performed some work on the clear coat… now I've got to waste more time and take it back next week. The car has spent more time at the dealer than with me at this point…
Attached Images

05-22-2021, 06:19 AM   #26
Dogmatick
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40D 2021

Considering the cost of these vehicles I'm getting somewhat nervous at the build quality and reliability reading this forum, am coming from a bulletproof VW Touareg (hope I didn't just jinx it)
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 04:59 PM   #27
DrMicro
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW x5 xdrive40i

For an update. They ultimately swapped out the bumper with defective paint for a new one from another Black Sapphire Metallic. They delivered the vehicle back to my detailer, who says it's now perfect and definitely a new factory painted bumper. The ppf + ceramic should be done on Monday. From what I can gather they are going to respray my bumper and install back on their inventory x5. Overall a good result for me despite some anxiety, I just wonder if the future owner of the inventory vehicle will be told the bumper was repainted.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18183.50
      05-22-2021, 06:25 PM   #28
todd92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 ZHP, 19 X5 xDrive40i

The future owner will never know the difference, just as you wouldn't have if you had it on yours.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18183.50
      05-23-2021, 06:38 AM   #29
Busa Dave
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceRN09 View Post
Wow. This is why I am going to do a thorough inspection of my car before delivery to see if i need paint correction. It sucks. However since this is a bumper. Hopefully they can send another one to the dealer. Wont help to complain and get some $$ in return
The OP's issue has nothing to do with "paint correction". Paint correction is not really "correction" per se it is removal of the top layer of paint specifically the top layer of clear to give a smooth appearance. Bumpers do not come painted either they will just repaint the existing one most likely.
      05-23-2021, 07:10 AM   #30
Busa Dave
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Wow, definitely reminds me to do a through inspection before delivery!

I'd take the bumper swap and ensure the shade matches and/or have the bumper resprayed by a good body shop (at their cost)
You think just looking at the paint is what you need to do??

Think Again.

Yes inspection is critical BUT so is looking at the vehicles repair history. Ahhh you say it does not exist because it is new---nae nae. Real example for me 2 weeks ago on a delivery, transmission cooler leaking caught during PDI. Repair was made and YES the internal record of it does exist and tie back to the vehicle. Car stores do not want to divulge this but they have to get paid.

Even if it was internal meaning that it something the dealer did on their property there will still be internal record's of peoples labor and material used.
      05-23-2021, 02:36 PM   #31
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa Dave View Post

Yes inspection is critical BUT so is looking at the vehicles repair history....YES the internal record of it does exist and tie back to the vehicle. Car stores do not want to divulge this but they have to get paid.
Interesting! So is the ask something like, "please show me all of the records of any repairs made on your property" ??

I have a delivery checklist but topically it's things like:

* price & financial details obvs
* No-drill front plate, no wash, no dealer stickers/badges
* software updates, all options / order specifics
* check the paint work, windows/glass, lights/lens for cracks
(OP adds a whole new level of examination here! DrMicro indeed!)
* idrive, electronics/software setup, configs like steering intervention

Sounds like I gotta add "ask for repair history"!

PCD prolly makes this easier I bet ...
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 04:01 PM   #32
Busa Dave
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Interesting! So is the ask something like, "please show me all of the records of any repairs made on your property" ??

I have a delivery checklist but topically it's things like:

* price & financial details obvs
* No-drill front plate, no wash, no dealer stickers/badges
* software updates, all options / order specifics
* check the paint work, windows/glass, lights/lens for cracks
(OP adds a whole new level of examination here! DrMicro indeed!)
* idrive, electronics/software setup, configs like steering intervention

Sounds like I gotta add "ask for repair history"!

PCD prolly makes this easier I bet ...
Need to update your list. You are leaving some important stuff off. With respect to the ability of you to see what happened at another dealer that is possible as well. Example you buy at dealer A getting work done a dealer B SA tells you did you know this car had this part replaced last month before you bought it? That is because the manufacturer paid for it. If it is the dealer is paying for paint and body work for something THEY are responsible for that is different.

The SA is not supposed to be going there but if you are persistent they will. The selling Dealer unless they have something to hide should have no problem putting on the sales order that no repairs have been performed to this vehicle. Lot of vehicles get damaged in the transport process are fixed without a whisper to the buyer.
      05-23-2021, 04:57 PM   #33
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd92 View Post

The future owner will never know the difference, just as you wouldn't have if you had it on yours.
Unless he follows Busa Dave's good advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa Dave View Post
Need to update your list. You are leaving some important stuff off. With respect to the ability of you to see what happened at another dealer that is possible as well.
Great suggestions - I also updated the vehicle delivery checklist thread
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2021, 12:08 PM   #34
DrMicro
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW x5 xdrive40i

All fixed, ppf-ed and ceramic-ed.
Attached Images

Last edited by DrMicro; 05-27-2021 at 05:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18183.50
      05-26-2021, 05:51 AM   #35
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMicro View Post
All fixed, ppf-ed and ceramic-ed.
Nice! All well, that end's well. You have to hand it to BMW for taking care of details like this. In the end, people pay a premium for a brand they know will take care of the details for their customers. Car looks great!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 09:23 PM   #36
Spencergnyc
Spencer Gotts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 Xdrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMicro View Post
I picked up my new BMW X5 40i. I was very angry and disappointed to see some defective paint at the lower driver-side bumper. It appears paint was just not fully applied in that area, but seems to have been clear coated though. So pissed. Has anyone experienced this on a $100k vehicle?
Same here but 100 times worse. My car has screwed paint and watermarks everywhere, and the dealer then put damn ppf over it. Then they waxed the car so damn much there is residue everywhere. I have arctic gray so I can see damn well all the issues. I'm already pissed enough that my car took almost 5 months, and I couldn't get the acoustic glass and the air suspension that is listed as included on BMW's site. Mind you I had to get a new car because I 2014 F15 serviced and whatever the f**k they did, it said I was in the Atlantic ocean and was unfixable. This car better be good because I'm damn ready to replace it after 2 weeks.
Appreciate 0