BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-13-2021, 06:46 PM   #23
330dMSXD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
Wow that’s crazy. Could you not have waited and had the car later, or was it a case of no HK so you either have it without or don’t have the car at all?
That’s exactly how it was put to me!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 07:07 PM   #24
330dMSXD
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
You do realize that there is a order and production process and no order is prioritized based on how loaded you've optioned and spending on your vehicle. You're not ordering a Bentley or Rolls Royce.

TurtleBoy summarizes the ordering and allocation process that many long time BMW and BMW X5 owners are aware of:

This discussion is more relevant in the Pricing, Ordering, Tracking sub forum:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=744
I’ve previously been employed in automotive manufacturing and have a good understanding on how orders are allocated.

Contrary to your belief orders are prioritised based on many variables including paint and trim colour and factory option choices. To ensure sufficient component supply, batches of orders are introduced into production to a strict sequence, which maintains customer orders on a timely basis, which allows the supply chain to maintain consistent supplies of components. If there is a large demand for a specific component then build dates are delayed until such a time supplies can be guaranteed into locked in build programmes.

I am puzzled at BMW’s actions with regards to the aforementioned as rather than delay customer builds they are bringing build dates forward when there are insufficient components to complete customer builds, resulting in no alternative other than a cancelled order. An arrangement which it would appear BMW are happy with which shows the contempt BMW have for their ‘valued’ customers!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 07:16 PM   #25
330dMSXD
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
They did - don't think they are affecting X5M and M50i builds.
They would not have the components to be able to build M50i or X5M over a full day, given the present component crisis! Even without the present crisis the production schedule would have to incorporate a mix of specifications to enable and maintain consistent component supplies.

I just do not understand why customer orders that could not be fulfilled could not have their build dates moved to a later time when components would be available rather than cancel them?!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 07:27 PM   #26
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330dMSXD View Post
Quote:
They would not have the components to be able to build M50i or X5M over a full day, given the present component crisis! Even without the present crisis the production schedule would have to incorporate a mix of specifications to enable and maintain consistent component supplies.

I just do not understand why customer orders that could not be fulfilled could not have their build dates moved to a later time when components would be available rather than cancel them?!
Semiconductor supply problems, along with other parts shortages, claim new automakers each week. Supply complications have stopped or slowed vehicle assembly at Ford, General Motors, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Subaru and Volvo since the year began.

The incentive for Daimler and BMW to keep the lines moving at the U.S. factories — profit margins — even it means customers canceling orders or can't order what they want.

Chief Executive Officer Oliver Zipse said, however, that he did not expect the shortage to have a major impact on production and the company would respond by prioritising production of cars with higher profit margins.

"BMW (BMWG.DE) remains on course to meet its profit targets for 2021 despite rising raw material costs, though the global chip shortage will worsen and may hit production in the second quarter, the German carmaker said on Friday." - Reuters

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 07:32 PM   #27
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2018 Raptor

Quote:
I’ve previously been employed in automotive manufacturing and have a good understanding on how orders are allocated.

Contrary to your belief orders are prioritised based on many variables including paint and trim colour and factory option choices. To ensure sufficient component supply, batches of orders are introduced into production to a strict sequence, which maintains customer orders on a timely basis, which allows the supply chain to maintain consistent supplies of components. If there is a large demand for a specific component then build dates are delayed until such a time supplies can be guaranteed into locked in build programmes.

I am puzzled at BMW’s actions with regards to the aforementioned as rather than delay customer builds they are bringing build dates forward when there are insufficient components to complete customer builds, resulting in no alternative other than a cancelled order. An arrangement which it would appear BMW are happy with which shows the contempt BMW have for their ‘valued’ customers!

Simple.
A bunch of black suits sitting in a conf call in the office with their bosses in Germany and make a decision based on many variables which may include reputation hit among others like profit, etc.
Like any public company, they must worry about shareholders first in their actions. Everything else is just PR.

So whatever they do has been calculated and re-calculated. Many times. Whatever they do will probably bring most profit. This is only thing they care about.
Appreciate 1
330dMSXD103.00
      05-14-2021, 05:18 AM   #28
330dMSXD
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe03h20 View Post
So whatever they do has been calculated and re-calculated. Many times. Whatever they do will probably bring most profit. This is only thing they care about.
I totally agree!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 10:40 AM   #29
Grogu
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

Quote:
Good spec - brave choice with 22" wheels but then I'm in Sheffield and I know the roads here!!

On my40i, there's something next to the fuel filler which I guess is the Ad Blue, although it's covered.

I'll take a pic but my guess is it's next to the filler
In Chesterfield and drive in Sheffield a lot as well. Just ordered an X5 40i, Carbon Black, Ivory interior, M Sport Pro with 22’s, nothing else.

Got it through the NHS team at Park Lane and they’re saying November for delivery! Deal is so good this quarter I couldn’t say no (I even got an extra £1k incentive as a repeat buyer).

How are you getting on with your 40i?
Appreciate 1
sahajesh2294.00
      05-14-2021, 02:26 PM   #30
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogu View Post
Quote:
Good spec - brave choice with 22" wheels but then I'm in Sheffield and I know the roads here!!

On my40i, there's something next to the fuel filler which I guess is the Ad Blue, although it's covered.

I'll take a pic but my guess is it's next to the filler
In Chesterfield and drive in Sheffield a lot as well. Just ordered an X5 40i, Carbon Black, Ivory interior, M Sport Pro with 22's, nothing else.

Got it through the NHS team at Park Lane and they're saying November for delivery! Deal is so good this quarter I couldn't say no (I even got an extra £1k incentive as a repeat buyer).

Loving it - will have done 3k miles by the end of May.

If I'm honest, a part of me wishes I'd gotten the M50i but the 40i is really good and not slow.

I'm also considering 22" wheels too (aftermarket) as the BMW OEMs are way too expensive

I'd then keep the 21s as winter - rather than get 20s for winter and keep the 21s for summer etc.

We will need to have a Sheffield meet or something - that's 3 of us in the area with new X5 purchases!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 07:55 AM   #31
Grogu
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Loving it - will have done 3k miles by the end of May.

If I'm honest, a part of me wishes I'd gotten the M50i but the 40i is really good and not slow.

I'm also considering 22" wheels too (aftermarket) as the BMW OEMs are way too expensive

I'd then keep the 21s as winter - rather than get 20s for winter and keep the 21s for summer etc.

We will need to have a Sheffield meet or something - that's 3 of us in the area with new X5 purchases!
A meet would be great, although might be a while, told November delivery for mine! I know a nice country pub not far from Chatsworth House with a good car park for a meet.

I purposely didn’t even look at the M50i. I drove a 50d last year and hated it. Didn’t like the fidgety all wheel steering and stiff suspension. Much preferred the test drive I had in the lower car this time around.

And it’s not like the 40i is lacking for speed, it’s not like these lumps are sports cars and need even more.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 09:18 AM   #32
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
A meet would be great, although might be a while, told November delivery for mine! I know a nice country pub not far from Chatsworth House with a good car park for a meet.

I purposely didn't even look at the M50i. I drove a 50d last year and hated it. Didn't like the fidgety all wheel steering and stiff suspension. Much preferred the test drive I had in the lower car this time around.

And it's not like the 40i is lacking for speed, it's not like these lumps are sports cars and need even more.
I like the IAS - it took a few days to get used to it, but it makes the turning circle a lot better and the car feels better.

You could get the 50i with Air Suspension (back when I ordered) so I'd have done that anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 01:55 PM   #33
Grogu
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I like the IAS - it took a few days to get used to it, but it makes the turning circle a lot better and the car feels better.

You could get the 50i with Air Suspension (back when I ordered) so I'd have done that anyway.
I signed my order today and they’ve deleted air suspension as the standard and replaced it with M adaptive. Apparently air won’t be standard going forward. Really liked air on the test drive, hope the adaptive is passable as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 03:01 PM   #34
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I signed my order today and they’ve deleted air suspension as the standard and replaced it with M adaptive. Apparently air won’t be standard going forward. Really liked air on the test drive, hope the adaptive is passable as well.
Won't be standard or won't be available?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 05:10 PM   #35
Grogu
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Didn’t ask, as I’m not paying extra for something that was/is standard in the configurator. Sure M adaptive will be ok.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 05:07 AM   #36
Grogu
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Just checked on configurator again, you can order air for £700, but you have to have it with third row seats for another £1350 as well. Not worth £2k to have it. And I absolutely don’t want the third row as well as it reduces storage.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 04:48 PM   #37
nunp
Private
Rep
Drives: RR Velar, Audi S5

I’ve just cancelled my order, just had no confidence in what would be delivered / omitted. Such a shame as I had secured a great deal and was looking forward to the X5.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 05:13 PM   #38
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunp View Post
I've just cancelled my order, just had no confidence in what would be delivered / omitted. Such a shame as I had secured a great deal and was looking forward to the X5.
That's a shame - the dealer should be in a position to advise what you will get so you decide what to do.

You likely wouldn't get all you wanted but you may get enough to keep going, but this way, you both get nothing.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 04:16 AM   #39
snerkler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 x30d M Sport

Quote:
You do realize that there is a order and production process and no order is prioritized based on how loaded you've optioned and spending on your vehicle. You're not ordering a Bentley or Rolls Royce.

TurtleBoy summarizes the ordering and allocation process that many long time BMW and BMW X5 owners are aware of:

This discussion is more relevant in the Pricing, Ordering, Tracking sub forum:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=744
Quote:
Quote:
I’ve got to say, whilst the semi conductor issues are not of BMWs making, the way they are dealing with the situation is far from ideal but I also get the sense, in my case, dealers are not being up front with customers with this forum being my main source of information. Apparently my order still has the HK option but I can’t see that being the case. Just as I’m thinking of cancelling my order, the FoC B&O Tech pack option is a possibility. First air suspension and now HK. What next??
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Semiconductor supply problems, along with other parts shortages, claim new automakers each week. Supply complications have stopped or slowed vehicle assembly at Ford, General Motors, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Subaru and Volvo since the year began.

The incentive for Daimler and BMW to keep the lines moving at the U.S. factories — profit margins — even it means customers canceling orders or can't order what they want.

"BMW (BMWG.DE) remains on course to meet its profit targets for 2021 despite rising raw material costs, though the global chip shortage will worsen and may hit production in the second quarter, the German carmaker said on Friday." - Reuters
Quote:
Originally Posted by fe03h20 View Post
Simple.
A bunch of black suits sitting in a conf call in the office with their bosses in Germany and make a decision based on many variables which may include reputation hit among others like profit, etc.
Like any public company, they must worry about shareholders first in their actions. Everything else is just PR.

Quote:
I totally agree!
Quote:
In Chesterfield and drive in Sheffield a lot as well. Just ordered an X5 40i, Carbon Black, Ivory interior, M Sport Pro with 22’s, nothing else.

Got it through the NHS team at Park Lane and they’re saying November for delivery! Deal is so good this quarter I couldn’t say no (I even got an extra £1k incentive as a repeat buyer).

Quote:

Thanks for all the replies, I don't know why but I've not been receiving notification of them.

I contacted my dealership a few weeks ago when it was first brought up but they haven't got back to me. Why are all dealers like this, can't get rid of them whilst they're trying to sell you something and then as soon as you agree a deal they ghost you.

Grogu I'm the same, live in Chesterfield but drive to Sheffield twice/week

sahajesh you can still spec the air suspension but as mentioned you have to have the third row seating which has two problems. Firstly you're paying for something you don't want, and secondly it adds extra weight, so much so when you spec it the 0-62 time drops from 6.1s to 6.3s. All that being said I've ordered air suspension as I'd rather put up with the extra weight than not have it. Who knows if it'll end up being on my car though with everything that's going on
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 03:43 PM   #40
Grogu
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I’ve just cancelled my order, just had no confidence in what would be delivered / omitted. Such a shame as I had secured a great deal and was looking forward to the X5.
I’ve only paid £629 deposit to secure factory build. So I’m going to see what comes. If it’s significantly different/worse, I’ll be cancelling the agreement and not going through with purchase.

Other brands are suffering the same shortages, so can’t see much point in changing choice of car now.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 02:44 PM   #41
nunp
Private
Rep
Drives: RR Velar, Audi S5

I may have secured a stock 40d M Sport with Tech and Pro packs with 22 alloy upgrade. More importantly the car comes with air suspension and HK and quick delivery. Waiting on formal quote but looks promising. Might be getting a X5 afterall.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 06:03 AM   #42
330dMSXD
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You do realize that there is a order and production process and no order is prioritized based on how loaded you've optioned and spending on your vehicle.
It does appear that my theory was and is correct! Factory orders ARE being prioritized based on how loaded you've optioned and spending on your vehicle!

Given the fact that some orders are being cancelled due to HK and AS shortages, yet other high value cars are being built with those options.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 06:13 AM   #43
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
You do realize that there is a order and production process and no order is prioritized based on how loaded you've optioned and spending on your vehicle.
It does appear that my theory was and is correct! Factory orders ARE being prioritized based on how loaded you've optioned and spending on your vehicle!

Given the fact that some orders are being cancelled due to HK and AS shortages, yet other high value cars are being built with those options.
Yes, your theory is correct during a global semiconductor shortage.

My factual statement is correct for normal operating procedures pre-COVID.

As I stated in my previous comment

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

"Chief Executive Officer Oliver Zipse said, however, that he did not expect the shortage to have a major impact on production and the company would respond by prioritising production of cars with higher profit margins" - Reuters

Appreciate 1
330dMSXD103.00
      05-25-2021, 06:24 AM   #44
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

TBH, this is what you'd expect BMW to do in this scenario (whether you like it or not is another matter!).

They will prioritise "high-spenders", lots of businesses do it (airlines will bump people off flights, Eurotunnel has Flexiplus where you are guaranteed a space etc etc).
Appreciate 0