BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-11-2023, 08:39 AM   #45
dm50e
Rep
Drives: BMW 50e

Also have 2024 50e with 21" Hankooks (staggered). Struggling with ridiculous amount of what seems to be road noise from the front left (just like jkramerxxx7 describes) and difficult to hear if you are in the passenger seat. -- especially loud on mediocre to poor roads. Finally had dealer install vibration dampeners but initial drives do not seem to show any improvements. Very disheartening as otherwise the car is great. Drove similar 50e with Bridgestones (same size) and noise was no different. Has anyone figured out if it is the runflats or the tire size or both. Very expensive to switch wheels and tires out. Any insight is appreciated. Impression I am getting from the dealer is that this is the way the car is. As most 50e's are pre-sold, difficult to find a test drive of one with 20" tires to see if there is a difference.
Appreciate 1
GTGuy32.50
      06-11-2023, 09:01 AM   #46
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Have you thought about non-insulated glass is why you’re hearing so much road noise
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 09:34 AM   #47
kapsjt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm50e View Post
Also have 2024 50e with 21" Hankooks (staggered). Struggling with ridiculous amount of what seems to be road noise from the front left (just like jkramerxxx7 describes) and difficult to hear if you are in the passenger seat. -- especially loud on mediocre to poor roads. Finally had dealer install vibration dampeners but initial drives do not seem to show any improvements. Very disheartening as otherwise the car is great. Drove similar 50e with Bridgestones (same size) and noise was no different. Has anyone figured out if it is the runflats or the tire size or both. Very expensive to switch wheels and tires out. Any insight is appreciated. Impression I am getting from the dealer is that this is the way the car is. As most 50e's are pre-sold, difficult to find a test drive of one with 20" tires to see if there is a difference.
I've had a 50e with the 21 inch wheels for three weeks. It has the factory installed Continental tire set. I have no road noise. The cabin is extremely quiet over all surfaces. My guess is there must be something else going on to cause that degree of road noise other than different tires.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 12:05 PM   #48
915M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50e

I have not much road noise with 21" Hankook on asphalt.
But on the cement, there is road noise.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 01:13 PM   #49
jkramerXXX7
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i, 24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapsjt View Post
I've had a 50e with the 21 inch wheels for three weeks. It has the factory installed Continental tire set. I have no road noise. The cabin is extremely quiet over all surfaces. My guess is there must be something else going on to cause that degree of road noise other than different tires.
Are your Continentals 21 inch run flats and are they staggered? Interested in maybe changing my Pirelli's.

Last edited by jkramerXXX7; 06-11-2023 at 02:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2023, 10:20 PM   #50
mojoJJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 xDrive40i

I am in a similar situation, looking for advice whether I should have the dealer take a look.

Picked up my 24 X6 40i with 21” 915M and staggered PZ RF tires last weekend and I have both -
  1. Extreme road noise/vibration on poor roads - specially sectioned cemented roads like on a bridge. The whole car turns into a resonating chamber and the vibration/noise is unbearable. On normal, paved roads it’s okay.
  2. Overall noise insulation - specially on the driver side. When I sit in the car and close the door, it feels like there’s still some gap somewhere on that side because I can hear EVERYTHING outside (people talking, cars passing by, construction noise etc) at the same level as I could before closing the door.

It’s just really disappointing to know that the noise isolation in my $85k car is worse than my old mazda cx5. Not really sure if I should talk to the dealer about this or if this is normal?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2023, 10:33 PM   #51
socialpro1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi, Bmw, Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoJJ View Post
I am in a similar situation, looking for advice whether I should have the dealer take a look.

Picked up my 24 X6 40i with 21” 915M and staggered PZ RF tires last weekend and I have both -
  1. Extreme road noise/vibration on poor roads - specially sectioned cemented roads like on a bridge. The whole car turns into a resonating chamber and the vibration/noise is unbearable. On normal, paved roads it’s okay.
  2. Overall noise insulation - specially on the driver side. When I sit in the car and close the door, it feels like there’s still some gap somewhere on that side because I can hear EVERYTHING outside (people talking, cars passing by, construction noise etc) at the same level as I could before closing the door.

It’s just really disappointing to know that the noise isolation in my $85k car is worse than my old mazda cx5. Not really sure if I should talk to the dealer about this or if this is normal?
Normal.

I'm also disappointed with the sound insulation on my recently purchased '23 X5 M50i. They are not dual pane windows, and typically outside noises are currently drowned out with a full a/c blast in the Phoenix heat ... but on cooler days with lower ac, stopped at a light you can hear quite a bit of traffic noise coming into the cabin.

I'm coming from a decade of audi ownership with and without dual pane windows and the X5 has by far the worst sound insulation out of all of them. Recently owned an Aviator, and rented a Corsair and both those cars had dual pane windows and were absolutely hush quiet around town.

My 22" wheels, with continental tires also give off a significant hum on certain road surfaces, even at lower speeds. Beyond what I would expect in a car/class of this caliber.

I know this is a 'performance' vehicle that comes with some additional noise built in (exhaust, engine, etc) - but I expected more out of $100K vehicle in terms of sound insulation and hushed tire noise.

Last edited by socialpro1; 06-18-2023 at 10:51 PM..
Appreciate 2
mojoJJ263.50
WagonFan271.50
      06-18-2023, 10:45 PM   #52
MNm3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Le Mans Blue e90 M3

Our 50e seems VERY quiet to me. It has the 21” M Y-Spoke run flats. But then again I’m coming from a Grand Cherokee diesel daily driver and a e90 m3… so guess it is all relative?
      06-18-2023, 10:58 PM   #53
mojoJJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNm3 View Post
Our 50e seems VERY quiet to me. It has the 21” M Y-Spoke run flats. But then again I’m coming from a Grand Cherokee diesel daily driver and a e90 m3… so guess it is all relative?
Well I can blame the road noise and vibration to the 21” PZ RF tires but that doesn’t explain the cabin noise insulation when the car is stationary with the engines off.
I’ll talk to my dealer and take it in to get the door seals inspected. But I doubt door seals are bad because I’ve taken the car thru extreme pressure car washes (non-touch types) and there’s no water inside the doors anywhere. It’s just a poorly designed vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2023, 11:20 PM   #54
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoJJ View Post

Extreme road noise/vibration on poor roads - specially sectioned cemented roads like on a bridge. The whole car turns into a resonating chamber and the vibration/noise is unbearable. On normal, paved roads it’s okay.
Overall noise insulation - specially on the driver side. When I sit in the car and close the door, it feels like there’s still some gap somewhere on that side because I can hear EVERYTHING outside (people talking, cars passing by, construction noise etc) at the same level as I could before closing the door.

The side windows are not insulated glass you’ll hear the road noise and people talking so I’ll say what my dad would say turn up the radio you won’t here a thing problem solved
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 10:11 PM   #55
GTGuy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkramerXXX7 View Post
I went back to dealer and drove a similar 50e to mine with 21's and it was noisy. The 20's appear to be much quieter. I plan to purchase the vibration reducers as mentioned above and see if they make a difference. I know it's a different car but my wife's X7 with 21's is quiet as a whisper. It does have the vibration reducers installed.
jkramerXXX7 picking this up from the separate thread I started earlier today which you replied to. Did you ever install those vibration reducers? If so, Abby appreciable improvement?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 06:05 AM   #56
jkramerXXX7
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i, 24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTGuy View Post
jkramerXXX7 picking this up from the separate thread I started earlier today which you replied to. Did you ever install those vibration reducers? If so, Abby appreciable improvement?
I did and they did not make any noticeable difference. As mentioned, I've gotten use to it with the radio on certain roads. Will change to 20 inch Michelins when the Pirelli's are worn.
Appreciate 1
GTGuy32.50
      06-25-2023, 08:53 AM   #57
Issam2204
Belgium
Rep

I've read the whole thread, and unfortunately there is no clear explanation of what might cause the road noise:
- 21" tires?
- the fact the tires are RF?
- specific brand of tires?
- defect on the cabin insulation?

I'm ordering the 50e and I'm undecided if 21" are worth it at this point. Owners of 20" tires are complaining much less (if at all) about road noise, from what I read on this thread.

If anyone has a 50e, please let us know what's your experience (independently from tire size).
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 09:11 AM   #58
mattsrs
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issam2204 View Post
I've read the whole thread, and unfortunately there is no clear explanation of what might cause the road noise:
- 21" tires?
- the fact the tires are RF?
- specific brand of tires?
- defect on the cabin insulation?

I'm ordering the 50e and I'm undecided if 21" are worth it at this point. Owners of 20" tires are complaining much less (if at all) about road noise, from what I read on this thread.

If anyone has a 50e, please let us know what's your experience (independently from tire size).
If you prioritize comfort and minimal cabin noise over looks, definitely go with 20s and change the tires to non-RFT.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 09:22 AM   #59
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
If you prioritize comfort and minimal cabin noise over looks, definitely go with 20s and change the tires to

Drive a x5 with 22s you won’t complain at all with the 20s or 21s. There’s lots of road noise that increases with tire wear
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 09:45 AM   #60
Issam2204
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsrs View Post
If you prioritize comfort and minimal cabin noise over looks, definitely go with 20s and change the tires to non-RFT.
Can't do that in my configurator. If you go with 20" you must take the RF (Belgium here). Similar story with 21", unless I go with "sports tires" which are +2100 EUR. I guess my only choice is to to stick with 20" RF.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 10:21 AM   #61
mattsrs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issam2204 View Post
Can't do that in my configurator. If you go with 20" you must take the RF (Belgium here). Similar story with 21", unless I go with "sports tires" which are +2100 EUR. I guess my only choice is to to stick with 20" RF.
Yes you get RF with 20s. I am replacing mine with Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 next week. BMW doesn't offer non-RF on 20s
Appreciate 1
jpw17256.50
      06-25-2023, 10:32 AM   #62
torso
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsrs View Post
Yes you get RF with 20s. I am replacing mine with Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 next week. BMW doesn't offer non-RF on 20s
You are wrong. Bmw offers 2 tires on 20” non-RF (standard).

Pirelli P Zero Elect and Hankook Ventus S1 Evo4 X

Check this list:
https://www.bmw.fi/content/dam/bmw/common/topics/fascination-bmw/bmw-efficientdynamics-2020/tyre-energy-labels/pdf/G05_Reifenliste.pdf.asset.1676362930556.pdf
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 10:37 AM   #63
mattsrs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by torso View Post
You are wrong. Bmw offers 2 tires on 20” non-RF (standard).

Pirelli P Zero Elect and Hankook Ventus S1 Evo4 X

Check this list:
https://www.bmw.fi/content/dam/bmw/c...6362930556.pdf
It may be better not to rush to judgement before calling something wrong or right. This is what you get in the US with each wheel design and as you can see the only factory option to get non-run flat are the 22" wheels.

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
mobilejo1114.50
      06-25-2023, 11:02 AM   #64
velopod
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 50e, BMW R1250RT, Porsche

Interesting thread.

I'm just a week into my new 50e (21" P Zero run flats) and have ZERO road noise. It could be me (other car a convertible Porsche and often on a BMW motorcycle - LOL).

My wife hears nothing (and her car is a pretty quiet Lexus SUV).

I will say I'm ANAL about tire pressure and my dealer delivered mine all wrong. Check that?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 12:10 PM   #65
915M
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have 21"" 915M with Hankook Evo RF and drove about 2500 miles.
Noise seems to be louder than when I just got it.
It is still quiet when driving on smooth roads but got much loud on rough roads.

I will use this until November and change those into NRF higher profile tire.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 12:24 PM   #66
mojoJJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 915M View Post
I have 21"" 915M with Hankook Evo RF and drove about 2500 miles.
Noise seems to be louder than when I just got it.
It is still quiet when driving on smooth roads but got much loud on rough roads.

I will use this until November and change those into NRF higher profile tire.
I’m on same tires and wheels on my X6 40i ans it’s annoying AF, specially on cement paved roads (with grooves?) on bridges etc. I have talked to Discount Tire and will be swapping out for non-OEM size (taller) Michelin Primacy Tour AS soon.
Appreciate 0