10-01-2023, 09:17 PM   #45
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cococarli View Post
If you are older or not very tech savy and used to "dummy proof everything" then you will have an issue with ANY NEW CAR because the future is NO BUTTONS lol SO instead of complaining because you don't have it in you to learn how to use the car correctly or learn how to navigate it - I highly suggest staying with your older X5 models with a million buttons and keep your complaints to yourself. I don't mean that in a mean way, but don't hate on a new car because you don't know how to use it. The new X5 is FREAKING AWESOMEEEEEEEEE and I think everyone should get it!!! LOLOL

ok bye xoxoxo
If the future is NO BUTTONS, then why are manufacturers starting to reverse course and make a return to UTILIZING BUTTONS?? Maybe because of all the complaints about safety and complexity?? I’m sure the many other automotive trends that quickly faded out (i.e. like automatic seatbelts) had fans like you championing the cause. LOLOL
Appreciate 2
Mixitt372.00
X3_Alaska142.00
      10-01-2023, 09:25 PM   #46
LDT
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cococarli View Post
Computer coding and knowing how to operate a dashboard on a car are little different lol ....I am not a coder nor need that skill in my everyday life. I apologize if you were offended by my comment.
No offense taken. Welcome to the forum. All kinds of ethusiasts here, some more vocal than others. Over time you’ll get great benefit from tapping into other’s experiences. You have your car yet?
2015 GL 350--diesel burner/highway queen
2013 Audi S6--a beast in it's day
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 01:38 AM   #47
Galion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 - 750iL

Well, I now have an M60i after driving an M50i for two years, and I really miss the air conditioning buttons. I consider it impractical and dangerous to have integrated them into the screen, which btw doesn’t seem aesthetically pleasing to me and lacks integration with the rest of the dashboard compared to the previous model. Not to mention the silly gear selector and the new V8 exhaust that sounds like my wife's 2022 6 cyl 40i. Other than that, I find the LCi M60i to be fine
Appreciate 3
Mixitt372.00
Blue87375.50
Treeboy228.00
      10-02-2023, 02:42 AM   #48
SwissBeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Hutz View Post
This is a “you” problem. The only issue I’ve noticed with my LCI’s steering is that it is as dead feeling as every other BMW made in the last 10 years.
Do the US models have a different steering? It's odd reading about people talking about the steering being "borderline unsafe" at "highway speeds" when "highway speeds" are 70mph while I don't have any issues at 155mph on the german Autobahn?

I do agree though that the steering could be a tad firmer. It seems this is a thing now, the Lotus Eletre had a very light steering as well. On the X5 even my girlfriend noticed that it was considerably lighter than our 7-series.

What I do wonder though: Do people wo have regrets about buying the LCI not test-drive or at least test-sit? Most of those regrets would've been known doing that.

Just for the record: I don't experience any of those issues myself. Steering could be a bit firmer, yes, but it's fine even at 150mph. (And I don't expect an X5 to be sporty anyway.) H/K satisfies my needs completely (and I've never seen a stock hifi in any car that would've blown my mind anyways) and I don't mind 8.5 at all. I thought I would be annoyed by at least some things but honestly everything is at most 2 clicks away, usually one. And a lot can be done through the iDrive. I'd take the new features and looks of 8.5 over the physical climate buttons any day of the week, this is how little it bothers me. (But I don't have to click any disclaimer constantly?) My gf and I even discussed yesterday that we can't comprehend that some feel like the a/c is too weak. It works better than in my 7-series and is absolutely adequate for us. But we also rarely experience 100°F days. Even the distance buttons for the ACC being gone isn't as bad as I thought it would be. So far I haven't felt the need to change the distance once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fleegman View Post
It's not that we CAN'T learn how to use it. It's a matter of convenience and safety. I don't believe a lot of these changes are motivated by sound ergonomic principles as much as by cutting costs.

For every old-timer stuck in the past there's a futuristic tech-savvy youngster who believes texting and driving is freaking awesome.
I still don't understand how people can keep complaining about this. The only action where I feel like it makes a TINY difference is when changing the temperature. You COULD make this completely "blind" on a car with buttons for the temperature control, although most people don't and still look DOWN (below the screen in the middle) to check the temperature they've set it to. I now have to look on the screen instead, which is a lot further up, and tap it once. I'm also changing the temperature blind on the 8.5 already, but I don't expect everyone to do that. As for any other action like changing the fresh-air setting, etc. there is no argument to be made because the HVAC buttons are all in a row, not discernable by your fingers. (At least that was the case in BMWs for decades, there might be models that I don't know of where that is not the case.) So you'd HAVE to look DOWN to check what you are actually doing, not seeing the road AT ALL anymore whereas on 8.5 you can still see the road while looking at the screen. (And we're not even mentioning the fact that I hardly change anything on my a/c but it seems some people are using their a/c like it's a playstation. )

I must admit I understand how people could see this "button discussion" as old people complaining about the world changing, not an honest argument or concern about safety. Especially since safety is usually not on the top of the concern-lists on car forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
Yes zero issues.
Like all others, are maybe 2% with problems and of that 2% 1% find its way to this forum
The +90% with zero issues you don't find here
Same here. Zero issues.

Last edited by SwissBeemer; 10-02-2023 at 03:14 AM..
Appreciate 4
WagonFan271.50
RNorb230.00
gsquare64.50
      10-02-2023, 06:59 PM   #49
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

Quote:
My 50e is the best BMW I ever owned. Even much better than my previous 45e.
Extra miles on the battery, faster charger and acceleration is nice, but what else is better? Was it worth the upgrade?

An ugly dash, iDrive with less features vs 7, lack of physical buttons, lack of a normal-size shifter, random issues that could brick the car for months doesn't justify 25k+ price difference for me.
Appreciate 3
Mixitt372.00
hotvee139.50
tooloud10766.50
      10-02-2023, 07:43 PM   #50
JerZBMerLife
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5

Garage List
2024 BMW X6  [0.00]
As far as the stereo I agree with you 1000%. I had a 2020 X5 with HK that I thought sucked too, but the 2024 version is noticeably worse. I’m finally taking steps to get aftermarket system put in.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 08:18 PM   #51
E91toG05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlurker View Post
Extra miles on the battery, faster charger and acceleration is nice, but what else is better? Was it worth the upgrade?

An ugly dash, iDrive with less features vs 7, lack of physical buttons, lack of a normal-size shifter, random issues that could brick the car for months doesn't justify 25k+ price difference for me.
What a shitty thing to say to someone. Clearly it was worth it to them if they did it. It’s not to you, so you shouldn’t. Feels like the end of the story.
Appreciate 2
      10-02-2023, 10:46 PM   #52
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by E91toG05 View Post
What a shitty thing to say to someone. Clearly it was worth it to them if they did it. It’s not to you, so you shouldn’t. Feels like the end of the story.
Not at all:
- This thread name is "Everything that's wrong with the LCI", thus sharing negative experience is expected
- There are people on this forum regretting switching from pre-LCI to LCI, despite being excited during test drives.

And, after all, we all exchange opinions, right?
Appreciate 4
mobilejo1114.50
tooloud10766.50
Mixitt372.00
X3_Alaska142.00
      10-03-2023, 12:30 AM   #53
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlurker View Post

Who says it’s an ugly dash. Some people do evolve…
I really like the instrument panel and clean looking dash. Much less clutter and I’m glad that useless odd shaped dildo sticking out of the center console is away.
Haven’t missed a physical button for one second. OS 8.5 is great everything can be done with the same ease or even better.

Coming from the 45e the 50e is a huge upgrade regarding powertrain and battery capacity. That alone makes it worthwhile.

I have zero issues with the car.
Appreciate 9
      10-03-2023, 10:20 AM   #54
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Quote:
Who says it’s an ugly dash. Some people do evolve…
I really like the instrument panel and clean looking dash. Much less clutter and I’m glad that useless odd shaped dildo sticking out of the center console is away.
Haven’t missed a physical button for one second. OS 8.5 is great everything can be done with the same ease or even better.

Coming from the 45e the 50e is a huge upgrade regarding powertrain and battery capacity. That alone makes it worthwhile.

I have zero issues with the car.
Exactly!
"odd shaped dildo sticking out of the console", hillarious.
Seriously, do the old school fist pounders here really think BMW is the first and only manufacturer to go expanded LCD screen and minimalized transmission controls? These boys need to quit with the whining and get out more.
Can't help but think of the cave men who swore up and down at full song that "pop-up" headlights, round tailights, and front engine architecture would come back by popular demand in the Corvette world. They are still waiting. Some of us are just highly resistance to change by nature.
You can find guys who don't understand why we have evolved from this:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 11:00 AM   #55
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramite View Post
Seriously, do the old school fist pounders here really think BMW is the first and only manufacturer to go expanded LCD screen and minimalized transmission controls? These boys need to quit with the whining and get out more.
No, I'm aware that others have done it. My previous Ford had almost no buttons, a big dumb pointless screen, and a goofy gear selector and I hated it--one of the reasons I bought a new X5.

Besides that, at least one major manufacturer (VW) has already acknowledged that they went too far with removing buttons, and another (Hyundai) has specifically said that they won't be going to a buttonless dash, so it's not like there's a consensus on the issue and everyone "just needs to get over it".

It's not just some old guys shaking their fist at the sky. This is my fourth BMW and likely the last if they keep going down this road.
hotvee139.50
CGG171.50
X3_Alaska142.00
mitch57804.50
1Boxer34.50
      10-03-2023, 11:27 AM   #56
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

I'm glad i got the 50e. I was really was close to ordering a 45e last year but the charging time and electric range was just not good enough and inside it just looked like my old F15 X5 had being refreshed a bit.

I really really like the new screen and have no issues with the HVAC buttons moving.

I don't miss the old style instrument cluster cowl one little bit. Glad to see the back of it
Appreciate 2
      10-03-2023, 11:33 AM   #57
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
No, I'm aware that others have done it. My previous Ford had almost no buttons, a big dumb pointless screen, and a goofy gear selector and I hated it--one of the reasons I bought a new X5.

Besides that, at least one major manufacturer (VW) has already acknowledged that they went too far with removing buttons, and another (Hyundai) has specifically said that they won't be going to a buttonless dash, so it's not like there's a consensus on the issue and everyone "just needs to get over it".

It's not just some old guys shaking their fist at the sky. This is my fourth BMW and likely the last if they keep going down this road.
Very simple solution for you my friend, buy yourself a nice new Hyundai.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 11:48 AM   #58
tscharf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5

My Mercedes has the gear selector on the stalk and that ended up being completely fine with me. It makes the center area usable for other things. The only reason it was in the center is because it had to be there mechanically previously. You don't shift gears very often. It takes some getting used to for new drivers.

I would definitely prefer at least a round knob for climate adjustment even though I keep it on automatic most of the time.

I have had to use a knob only for CarPlay in the MB and that is very inconvenient, but eventually turns into muscle memory. The touch screen needs to be reachable and the current LCI screen position seems OK and better than previous generation from my short test drives.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 11:52 AM   #59
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
The overwhelming majority of BMW buyers will have no problems with the new features and layout. Those who don't can buy something else that they may be more comfortable with or simply keep what they have.
I was a bit afraid in the beginning but it is really no issue. In my 45e I had to look down to change the temp. In the 50e it's in front of me.
And people who say they don't look... I don't believe them. Tried it and I had the wrong button or was doing + instead of - or vice versa
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2023, 12:12 PM   #60
hotvee
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 50i

It has nothing to do with old-schoolers that simply do not understand the new “design”, as per someone. It’s just that BMW, like many other automakers, needs to earn more money after the chip crisis, plus focus more on the customer preferences where they make the most sales (you know). These are the two main reasons where the new exterior of the X7/XM/7 came from, getting rid of buttons, a new user interface in iDrive 8, a single large screen (the idea was taken from Mercedes but was implemented worse), and so on. Fewer buttons means fewer wires, fewer parts, cheaper production. But really - HVAC controls, ACC distance? Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, Range Rover in one form or another, they still have these controls separately from the main display. Only BMW of the big German brands went this far. I’m also not a fan of the new gear shift rocker, it looks more or less organic in the new 5 Series, but not in the X5 where they placed a small rocker but left a huge high idrive control knob.
Appreciate 1
tooloud10766.50
      10-03-2023, 12:24 PM   #61
cobramite
Banned
Rep

New interior option coming next year.
The Cave Man Special!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      10-03-2023, 12:29 PM   #62
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotvee View Post
It has nothing to do with old-schoolers that simply do not understand the new “design”, as per someone. It’s just that BMW, like many other automakers, needs to earn more money after the chip crisis, plus focus more on the customer preferences where they make the most sales (you know). These are the two main reasons where the new exterior of the X7/XM/7 came from, getting rid of buttons, a new user interface in iDrive 8, a single large screen (the idea was taken from Mercedes but was implemented worse), and so on. Fewer buttons means fewer wires, fewer parts, cheaper production. But really - HVAC controls, ACC distance? Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, Range Rover in one form or another, they still have these controls separately from the main display. Only BMW of the big German brands went this far. I’m also not a fan of the new gear shift rocker, it looks more or less organic in the new 5 Series, but not in the X5 where they placed a small rocker but left a huge high idrive control knob.
You can write on that knob.

Fugly as hell and way too much clutter and a very busy dash. Looks very old school and outdated. I prefer BMW's dash any day of the week. But that's just personal taste.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      10-03-2023, 12:32 PM   #63
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

https://slate.com/business/2023/04/c...n-hyundai.html

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/auto...e-for-drivers/

https://futurism.com/the-byte/car-to...s-buttons-back

https://www.stablevehiclecontracts.c...ysical-buttons

https://ultrasensesys.com/automakers...touch-screens/

https://www.fastcompany.com/90780466...and-knobs-back

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/automak...hat-they-want/

But buTtOnS aRe sO arcHaIc
Appreciate 3
tooloud10766.50
CGG171.50
      10-03-2023, 01:08 PM   #64
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Very simple solution for you my friend, buy yourself a nice new Hyundai.
I wanted to but it was far easier to find a sub-MSRP deal on an X5 than on a GV80, and if you still think that's a joke then you don't understand the problem.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...n-test-review/

https://www.caranddriver.com/ranking...uxury/mid-size

https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews...-release-date/
      10-03-2023, 01:35 PM   #65
Boardmember
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
Cobramite - am I the only one that can smell the interior of those pics you posted?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 01:47 PM   #66
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
I wanted to but it was far easier to find a sub-MSRP deal on an X5 than on a GV80, and if you still think that's a joke then you don't understand the problem.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...n-test-review/

https://www.caranddriver.com/ranking...uxury/mid-size

https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews...-release-date/
I don't look to understand what is NOT a problem for me as I have no interest what so ever in any of that asian stuff.
There is one of those Hyundai Genesis G whatever SUVs in our parking garage. Hideous, cheap, cheesy, looking junk. They probably make good a good "move up" vehicle for the aging Fast and Furious crowd.
Appreciate 0