BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-22-2021, 11:56 AM   #1
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 45e

A few PPF questions

I am eagerly waiting for my arctic gray X5 45e to be built and am doing some planning in terms of paint protection. I am buying the car and plan on keeping it for 7+ years.

I have read several very helpful threads here on PPF (and ceramic coating) and watched several videos on YouTube (I particularly enjoyed those made by Chicago Auto Pros, very informative).

At this time I am thinking of going for a full front application, considering the significantly greater cost for having it applied to the entire car.

I have researched reputable detailers in my area (coastal CT) and found one that comes highly recommended and uses XPEL for PPF. I am going to reach out to them when I get my VIN, but in the meantime I would appreciate some pointers from you guys!

Now for my questions:

1. If I go full front and fast forward say 5 years and then take the PPF off, will there be a noticeable difference between the paint that was underneath the PPF and the exposed paint in the rest of the car? I am mainly talking about potential discoloration differences here.

2. If there is a risk of discoloration, would applying a ceramic coating (or some other coating) to both the PPF and the exposed paint help limit the discoloration or would the coating just help making paint look shinier and more hydrophobic but that's about it?

3. Would it make sense that I also have the rear bumper wrapped in PPF (I am thinking mostly of perhaps getting some protection in case someone parked behind me in a parallel parking situation were to tap the X5's bumper)?

4. On a thread on this forum from a couple of years ago, I read some concerns about XPEL PPF potentially yellowing/developing orange peeling issues over time: is this still a thing? Has XPEL fixed the issue in the meantime? The website of the detailer that I am considering says XPEL application would come with a 10-year warranty covering (among other things) yellowing.

I guess that's it for now!

Thank you if someone wishes to weigh in here!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 09:25 AM   #2
kwarden13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wait What? View Post
I am eagerly waiting for my arctic gray X5 45e to be built and am doing some planning in terms of paint protection. I am buying the car and plan on keeping it for 7+ years.

I have read several very helpful threads here on PPF (and ceramic coating) and watched several videos on YouTube (I particularly enjoyed those made by Chicago Auto Pros, very informative).

At this time I am thinking of going for a full front application, considering the significantly greater cost for having it applied to the entire car.

I have researched reputable detailers in my area (coastal CT) and found one that comes highly recommended and uses XPEL for PPF. I am going to reach out to them when I get my VIN, but in the meantime I would appreciate some pointers from you guys!

Now for my questions:

1. If I go full front and fast forward say 5 years and then take the PPF off, will there be a noticeable difference between the paint that was underneath the PPF and the exposed paint in the rest of the car? I am mainly talking about potential discoloration differences here.

2. If there is a risk of discoloration, would applying a ceramic coating (or some other coating) to both the PPF and the exposed paint help limit the discoloration or would the coating just help making paint look shinier and more hydrophobic but that's about it?

3. Would it make sense that I also have the rear bumper wrapped in PPF (I am thinking mostly of perhaps getting some protection in case someone parked behind me in a parallel parking situation were to tap the X5's bumper)?

4. On a thread on this forum from a couple of years ago, I read some concerns about XPEL PPF potentially yellowing/developing orange peeling issues over time: is this still a thing? Has XPEL fixed the issue in the meantime? The website of the detailer that I am considering says XPEL application would come with a 10-year warranty covering (among other things) yellowing.

I guess that's it for now!

Thank you if someone wishes to weigh in here!
What did you end up doing? I am taking delivery of same car, attic grey 45e, in a week and still debating ppf and ceramic.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 09:46 AM   #3
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

I've been doing the research as well...my car is coming in the next week.
Previously, I had a 'partial' PPF (I forget the brand) on my 2012 Audi - partial being only 1/2 hood, outside mirrors, rear luggage, front bumper some front fenders......the PPF lasted 8 years before I got ceramic put on that car. I am not a fan of ceramic and will not do it again (expensive, seemed to 'wear off' after a year). My PPF did really well except on the front bumper (there were a few spots that rock damage started to 'peel'. There was a slightly noticeable line on the hood when it came off (it had been on for 9 years so of course) but when he paint corrected/applied ceramic, it was gone. Never any yellowing.

For the new car - white - I'll be having Stek applied (I like the water beading properties - which Suntek 'promises' as well). Has a 10 year warranty. I don't think we can go wrong with XPEL, Stek or Suntek, we just need to make sure the detailer is a professional at installing the particular brand. I'm doing full front half to include A pillars, first 3 inches or so of hood, mirrors and back bumper/luggage area (street parking in Philly!).
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2021, 06:35 PM   #4
kwarden13
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
I've been doing the research as well...my car is coming in the next week.
Previously, I had a 'partial' PPF (I forget the brand) on my 2012 Audi - partial being only 1/2 hood, outside mirrors, rear luggage, front bumper some front fenders......the PPF lasted 8 years before I got ceramic put on that car. I am not a fan of ceramic and will not do it again (expensive, seemed to 'wear off' after a year). My PPF did really well except on the front bumper (there were a few spots that rock damage started to 'peel'. There was a slightly noticeable line on the hood when it came off (it had been on for 9 years so of course) but when he paint corrected/applied ceramic, it was gone. Never any yellowing.

For the new car - white - I'll be having Stek applied (I like the water beading properties - which Suntek 'promises' as well). Has a 10 year warranty. I don't think we can go wrong with XPEL, Stek or Suntek, we just need to make sure the detailer is a professional at installing the particular brand. I'm doing full front half to include A pillars, first 3 inches or so of hood, mirrors and back bumper/luggage area (street parking in Philly!).
Did you think ceramic wasn't worth it or was there a specific issue? I am debating just applying ceramic myself since it's a new car. I have never detailed a car so probably wouldn't be professional level but unsure I need that level of ceramic applied.

Would it be a mistake to get PPF and apply ceramic myself after? Would it damage the PPF?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 07:46 PM   #5
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwarden13 View Post
Did you think ceramic wasn't worth it or was there a specific issue? I am debating just applying ceramic myself since it's a new car. I have never detailed a car so probably wouldn't be professional level but unsure I need that level of ceramic applied.

Would it be a mistake to get PPF and apply ceramic myself after? Would it damage the PPF?
Just my opinion....I think my ceramic (Nasiol) was applied professionally and looked 110% when I picked her up. It was a black car. I just don't think it lasts as long as $2k warrants. I am a pretty good amateur detailer - but I wouldn't apply a ceramic myself and expect it to last more than 6 months. I've tried various nano products from detailer's domain (look their site up). Good stuff...I just ain't that good. Plus - I park on a street in Philadelphia (car always in the elements/sun). When I do drive to work (after covid) I drive 60 miles a day - highway - and yea, I sorta tailgate in the left lane...so I need the MAXIMUM protection from rocks that PPF provides. Finally - yes, I did take it to automatic car washes (it was black...I can't handwash my self every other day!!), so that worked against the ceramic.

Just my opinion...thought ceramic (even though professionally done) was a waste of $ (for me)...
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2021, 06:46 PM   #6
kwarden13
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
Just my opinion....I think my ceramic (Nasiol) was applied professionally and looked 110% when I picked her up. It was a black car. I just don't think it lasts as long as $2k warrants. I am a pretty good amateur detailer - but I wouldn't apply a ceramic myself and expect it to last more than 6 months. I've tried various nano products from detailer's domain (look their site up). Good stuff...I just ain't that good. Plus - I park on a street in Philadelphia (car always in the elements/sun). When I do drive to work (after covid) I drive 60 miles a day - highway - and yea, I sorta tailgate in the left lane...so I need the MAXIMUM protection from rocks that PPF provides. Finally - yes, I did take it to automatic car washes (it was black...I can't handwash my self every other day!!), so that worked against the ceramic.

Just my opinion...thought ceramic (even though professionally done) was a waste of $ (for me)...
I know aftermarket products won't last the long but I can pick up a bottle of ceramic for ~$50. If I never detailed a car, is it easy to apply and wipe off? Or is it more involved?

I don't need it to look perfect. I have a subaru outback currently and only go thru automatic washes like once a month. I can wash myself at home, but don't want to do much more. If it's just wiping ceramic on/off my car I can do that. Obviously no paint correction but it will be a new car.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 02:30 AM   #7
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

I think aside from the front end, the rockers and fender areas behind the wheels really could use PPF to protect from debris kicked up from the tires. I hate the expense, but I'd also like to keep my sapphire black X6 looking as nice as possible. I'm having PPF applied to the whole vehicle next week or the week after.

Wherever you get PPF done, make sure the are wrapping corners to leave no exposed edges on the paint (where possible). Some shops don't do this because it is extra work, but they may charge the same as the shops who do. Also ensure they are doing a paint decontamination and correction before applying anything. Again, that is extra work that some shops don't do and some people don't know any better.

Rob
Appreciate 2
      09-06-2021, 08:44 AM   #8
parkstr8
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 MSport Arctic Grey

I have a 2020 AG M Sport - at the one-year mark, and due to moving from Los Angeles to Seattle, I did PPF. We just traded our 18 Q7 for a 21 Q7 so did both at the same time.

I did a 3/4 - which consists of: hood, front bumper, front quarter panels, full doors, door handles, and behind the handles, rockers, and mirrors. The only part it doesn't cover is the 3/4 panels rear, tailgate, and rear bumper.

Love it. Hindsight I would have just done the 3/4 and rear. I was loading something in the rear recently and dropped an item on the bumper and chipped a tiny part of the paint. Would not have happened if i had just wrapped it.

I won't ceramic it in a traditional way...but after I wash it I use a ceramic detailer. And when I do dust maintenance I do the same thing - so it starts to build up.

Water beading is great even with the spray.

Last edited by parkstr8; 09-06-2021 at 10:25 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2021, 09:22 AM   #9
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwarden13 View Post

What did you end up doing? I am taking delivery of same car, attic grey 45e, in a week and still debating ppf and ceramic.
Sorry that I missed your question: for some reason I don't think I got a notification for your post…

To answer your question: when I took delivery of my X5 I had a full front PPF wrap (full hood, mirrors, rockers and fenders). I tell you, it looks awesome and you can't even tell it's there.

Now, fast forward a couple of months I am taking the X5 back tomorrow to have it fully wrapped. The installer gave me a discount to finish it up and I want the extra peace of mind.

Just an example, I always try to park as far away as possible from other cars, but sometimes it is just not possible or other times the "magnet rule" does apply (when there is only your car parked in an otherwise completely empty section of a parking lot and then someone gets there and decides to park right next to your car despite the hundreds of empty spaces all around…) I am constantly worrying that someone would scratch it! Granted, if they just ram their door into mine, there's no PPF that can help, but hopefully it would save me from what otherwise would be a scratch that would set you back quite a lot of money to have it fixed.

Generally speaking, in my experience, Rob_G77 is right on the money on all advice he gave in his post. Absolutely have the installer wrap the PPF around the edges of the panels it gets applied to because it will look so much better (virtually invisible), it will not collect any dirt and contamination along the exposed edges of the panel it gets applied to, and it will provide extra protection from peeling off at the edges.

Hope you are enjoying your new 45e: I am loving mine - I just recently finished the break-in period of the ICE and wow, I love that car! Please post a picture of yours!
Appreciate 0