BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-02-2021, 02:03 PM   #1
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Anti-Dazzle Patch vs OTA Updates

I'm thinking of having my X5 coded to enable the anti-dazzle functionality of my laserlight option.

For those that have had that done in the USA (or Canada?), what has your end result of the functionality after an OTA update later on this?

IOW, how many have had to have it retweaked to restore the functionality?

My vehicle right now has the July 2020 update, and I know that there are two new ones out there, and another likely in the next month or so. My vehicle has not indicated any new firmware is available when I check.

I have not seen any activity on the NHTSA website on the approval of the adaptive headlights, so who knows if, or when, that may come, or if BMW might include that function in a future OTA update...I'd been hoping it would have been approved by now, and get it for 'free'.

I've got a long road trip planned for late August, and most of my driving is where it probably won't make much difference in the meantime, so I may wait awhile.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 05:23 PM   #2
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Current anti-dazzle enable process involves two steps, in order:

(1) Remove 5AP option from FA and then VO code BDC_BODY3, HU_MGU, FLM2 [43], FLM2 [44], KAFAS4

and

(2) FDL code the following in KAFAS4:

COUNTRY_VARIATION Europe_RC [01]
C_FLA_BS_ENTER_THRESH Rest of world [03]
C_FLA_BS_EXIT_THRESH Rest of world [02]

In step (1), if you also save the FA back to the car after removing 5AP, then normally a software update will NOT revert anti-dazzle coding to factory settings (non-functional) because the update programming software will use car's FA for its VO coding after the update. An exception is if the dealer for some reason restores FA to factory default, but from most reports this is very rare and should only really happen if the affected ECUs hardware is reset or replaced or a severe brick-level event occurs in the car and has to be attempted repaired by full factory reprogramming and restore. So that's good.

However …

Because modern anti-dazzle also involves non-FA-specified FDL coding in step (2), if software update updates KAFAS4, then anti-dazzle will likely (at least partially) revert to non-functional.

Such is life. However, most remote coders should offer free or highly discounted recoding after such updates and if you do it yourself, it's an easy fix.
      06-02-2021, 05:50 PM   #3
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Thanks...I sent a note to the Bimmercode folks asking if those parameters in the second step can become available to be tweaked.

How often has KAFAS4 been tweaked in OTA updates?

Things would be so much simpler if the Feds would approve the functionality, and BMW enabled it in the USA!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 01:03 PM   #4
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

The tech at BimmerCode got back to me, and unfortunately, the app cannot, or does not deal with KFAS, so those three switches that MIGHT get overwritten in an OTA update, can't be reset by that app. So, that leaves learning ESYS or paying someone to do it for you on a potentially recurring basis.

I'd still like to hear from anyone that knows, how often KFAS is updated during an OTA update. If it's infrequent, that's one thing, if it's each time, that could get expensive trying to keep up! I know historically isn't a certain indication of future updates, but it is a baseline fact I think is worthwhile.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 02:55 PM   #5
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
The tech at BimmerCode got back to me, and unfortunately, the app cannot, or does not deal with KFAS, so those three switches that MIGHT get overwritten in an OTA update, can't be reset by that app. So, that leaves learning ESYS or paying someone to do it for you on a potentially recurring basis.

I'd still like to hear from anyone that knows, how often KFAS is updated during an OTA update. If it's infrequent, that's one thing, if it's each time, that could get expensive trying to keep up! I know historically isn't a certain indication of future updates, but it is a baseline fact I think is worthwhile.
Usually once per main branch release I.e. every OTA update
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 06:46 PM   #6
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Well, that's sort of a bummer!

I might just have to download and learn ESYS.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 08:36 PM   #7
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

You'll also need ESysX for the FDL coding on KAFAS4 (VO coding can be done without ESysX).
      06-05-2021, 12:51 AM   #8
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Quote:

This guide might help. It's for dkombi but works for any ECU for fdl coding: https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27621958
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 11:25 AM   #9
Bigtop
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Current anti-dazzle enable process involves two steps, in order:

(1) Remove 5AP option from FA and then VO code BDC_BODY3, HU_MGU, FLM2 [43], FLM2 [44], KAFAS4

and

(2) FDL code the following in KAFAS4:

COUNTRY_VARIATION Europe_RC [01]
C_FLA_BS_ENTER_THRESH Rest of world [03]
C_FLA_BS_EXIT_THRESH Rest of world [02]

In step (1), if you also save the FA back to the car after removing 5AP, then normally a software update will NOT revert anti-dazzle coding to factory settings (non-functional) because the update programming software will use car's FA for its VO coding after the update. An exception is if the dealer for some reason restores FA to factory default, but from most reports this is very rare and should only really happen if the affected ECUs hardware is reset or replaced or a severe brick-level event occurs in the car and has to be attempted repaired by full factory reprogramming and restore. So that's good.

However …

Because modern anti-dazzle also involves non-FA-specified FDL coding in step (2), if software update updates KAFAS4, then anti-dazzle will likely (at least partially) revert to non-functional.

Such is life. However, most remote coders should offer free or highly discounted recoding after such updates and if you do it yourself, it's an easy fix.

I have IDrive Version 11/2019.70 I have programmed various features including anti-dazzle with EsysX. Everything works great.
Should I let the car update as I am a bit worried the version I am running on is getting extremely outdated? If I did so, I worry I would not be able to program the anti-dazzle etc. back in. I have read also that the newer software updates change or lessen the sound of the car, which I would not want to do.
Appreciate 0