BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-22-2021, 12:04 PM   #1
R34L15T
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 30d M Sport

All Season Option - Summer & Winter

Hi all!

Looking for a square setup which will also look good - however need some ideas on tyre sizes!

Looking for a round trip to Turkey next year from London. So will be through the summer, however, i want to keep tyres & alloys for also winter..

So the question is will All Season tyres be fine for the journey and i can swap them out in the winter to be used as my winters in London?

I assume 20" would be the most sensible but will it fit!

I currently have 22's on with P Zeros 275/30/22 (F) - 315/30/22 (R).

Here's a quick pic of it currently! Bit dirty

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 10:42 AM   #2
R34L15T
Private First Class
Rep

Bump!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 01:33 PM   #3
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X5, '22 X5e

Just out of curiosity... why do you want snow tires in London? Its not like you get a lot of snow of ice no?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 10:40 PM   #4
R34L15T
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pacey View Post
Just out of curiosity... why do you want snow tires in London? Its not like you get a lot of snow of ice no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pacey View Post
We don't you're right - but then there are days that we do. A week or two most.

Mainly it's for ice as that occurs over winter quiet a bit.

Winter tyres is an overkill imo but all seasons i think might do the trick.

Driving around in the winter in P Zero's i wouldn't feel comfortable in. Doesn't matter if it's a 4x4
      10-13-2021, 05:45 AM   #5
Adblue
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50D

Quote:
Originally Posted by R34L15T View Post
We don't you're right - but then there are days that we do. A week or two most.

Mainly it's for ice as that occurs over winter quiet a bit.

Winter tyres is an overkill imo but all seasons i think might do the trick.

Driving around in the winter in P Zero's i wouldn't feel comfortable in. Doesn't matter if it's a 4x4
I'm in Ireland and everyone I am talking to advises against All Season/ Winter tyres for winter months here. If it's one or two weeks at most (unless you are planning some snow related trip during these snowy times) then it's probably pointless investment. You can surely avoid driving during the worst days. There is some validity in all season performing better in colder temperature but in all fairness in London or Dublin this really will make very little difference.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 06:56 AM   #6
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
say that to the guy who just last winter was driving out of his driveway in only 1" of fresh snow with summer performance 21" tires, slid against a curb as he turned onto the main street and bent an axle. i guess it's all about how much risk you're willing to take. doesn't matter until it happens to you, though
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 08:08 AM   #7
Adblue
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50D

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
say that to the guy who just last winter was driving out of his driveway in only 1" of fresh snow with summer performance 21" tires, slid against a curb as he turned onto the main street and bent an axle. i guess it's all about how much risk you're willing to take. doesn't matter until it happens to you, though
If you are able to move forward in 1" off snow on a flat road and your speed will be appropriate to the conditions I'd imagine you'd be fine. 1" of snow is not like driving on ice unless you go too fast and brake too late. But from my experience (we had a winter of a century back in 2010 if I remember correctly) I was able to drive safely in a golf mk5 on a public roads at appropriate speed (while the road services were not prepared for the amount of snow and we ended up with roads covered in snow/sleet and sidewalks with ice). It is sensible to consider all season tyres for winter months in Ireland or UK I think you realistically will get much less benefit from them if you are mainly driving in the city. I'm not stopping anyone from doing so, but all my cars so far had summer tyres and only once in last 12 years or so I would benefit from all season/winter for a couple of days.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 12:45 PM   #8
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adblue View Post
If you are able to move forward in 1" off snow on a flat road and your speed will be appropriate to the conditions I'd imagine you'd be fine. 1" of snow is not like driving on ice unless you go too fast and brake too late.
it's not so much the speed or snowy condition, but rather the inability of the summer tire's rubber compound to perform adequately at such low temperatures
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 06:31 PM   #9
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

TO your basic question, yes, a 20" wheel should fit your vehicle that came with 22" rims and as long as you put an appropriately sized tyre on it so that the OD is the same (i.e., one of the OEM sizes), you should be fine.

To get to Turkey, you'll be going through/over some mountains...depending on the time of year, winter tires might be required and definitely useful.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 11:04 PM   #10
AdamJ80
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2021 M440

I just had my winter set installed yesterday. I have the 22" 742M with summers. I wanted a winter setup also with 22", but options were obviously limited. To enhance the selection options, I went with a square setup. Here's my fitment:

22X9 Rohanna RFX11 35mm offset
275/35R22 Nitto NT420V All Season
Attached Images

Appreciate 0