Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 03:42 PM   #178
patt1289
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3, Aviator GT, X5 45e, Stang

2022 X5 PHEV Vs 2020 Lincoln Aviator GT PHEV

I own both, the Aviator is mine and the BMW is the wife's. The Aviator has not been updated or changed so I consider it a fair subject for a direct review against the 2022 X5 45e.

To save you a long read if you want to know, the BMW outshines the Aviator in almost every category. I am not a auto blog person or even an eloquent pen so please bare with me.

RIDE: I call this a tie, the X5 has a nice plush sporty feel, absorbs rough road very well. The Aviator does the the same sans a bit of sportiness for a more posh ride. Both are tops at sporty and posh. BMW does the sporty better and the Lincoln shines at being posh.

PHEV: No contest, the X5 smokes the Aviator (non-carbon smoke of course) I have to squeeze to get 20 miles out of the Aviator, and have been getting 35 without any effort on the X5. My wife's commute is 8 miles round trip and she has not used any gas and can skip a few nights on the charger. Both guzzle the same kilohertz rate, the X5 has a little bigger battery and gets a tad more juice if empty. The transitions from Electric to ICE are super smooth on both in normal driving. The shift is more noticeable on the Aviator during sporty driving.

SEAT COMFORT: BMW has come a long way (I have a 06 X3) in comfort and on a 700 mile trip it did very well. The Aviator still has the most comfortable seats for the long trips. I have the best seats offered in both. This is the primary reason the Aviator is still in the garage. It is on thin ICE on the path to staying. This is a very subjective area and I'm sure each will have their own opinion. The Lincoln Massage function is better IMO.

TECHNOLOGY: The Bimmer is newer and should be more advanced and it is. I got to use the driver assist in rush hour Atlanta, it worked flawlessly and was actually entertaining to watch the radar paint cars and trucks to the left and right sides. The Lincoln does stop and go, but you cannot be hands free and it is far from smooth.

Drag strip: The Bimmer feels quicker, but the luxury yacht beat it by a second.

TOWING: Surprising to me, the X5 can tow and tow well. It bests the Lincoln by 1000lbs. Pulling my trailer they are both very composed, no real difference in braking or starting out. I was pulling 4500lbs. Anything more and I would add a brake controller. The most annoying thing with the BMW tow package is no cover and deletion of the foot wave sensor. Even though the BMW is rated pull more, I give this to Lincoln for function and aesthetics.

CABIN QUIETNESS: Don't believe the Lincoln commercials. It is quiet, but so is the X5

EYE CANDY: Gotta give this to Lincoln, the X5 looks nice, but the Aviator still draws the "wow" what is that in front of the theater.

OVER ALL UTILITY: X5 shines with the mini tail gate to keep the groceries in. The Aviator second row folds flatter, The Aviator cup holder are slightly better. The BMW infotainment system is better with bluetooth carplay and quick response on the nav display. The Aviator Heads Up display is bigger and easier to see. The Bimmer 360 camera is better and the car wash mode is a godsend to getting my wife to pull in the garage straight. A line on the floor and all she does is put the projected lines on it and boom, its parked straight. The Aviator is a tad bigger and has a useful 3rd row. Using just two rows it has a lot more usable space. For those in cold parts of the country, the wife got to try the heated elements and gave the X5 a big smile and said she loved the heated arm rests. The Lincoln has several 110 outlets to plug in electronics or small vacuums.

What amazed me was at the end of the day, I paid more for the Aviator, and so on bang for the buck, the X5 takes it easily.

Last edited by patt1289; 04-06-2022 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 6
bandersen586.00
Jpflo140.00
leightos187.00
Rik762129.00
      04-06-2022, 08:16 PM   #179
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by patt1289 View Post
I own both, the Aviator is mine and the BMW is the wife's. The Aviator has not been updated or changed so I consider it a fair subject for a direct review against the 2022 X5 45e.

To save you a long read if you want to know, the BMW outshines the Aviator in almost every category. I am not a auto blog person or even an eloquent pen so please bare with me.

RIDE: I call this a tie, the X5 has a nice plush sporty feel, absorbs rough road very well. The Aviator does the the same sans a bit of sportiness for a more posh ride. Both are tops at sporty and posh. BMW does the sporty better and the Lincoln shines at being posh.

PHEV: No contest, the X5 smokes the Aviator (non-carbon smoke of course) I have to squeeze to get 20 miles out of the Aviator, and have been getting 35 without any effort on the X5. My wife's commute is 8 miles round trip and she has not used any gas and can skip a few nights on the charger. Both guzzle the same kilohertz rate, the X5 has a little bigger battery and gets a tad more juice if empty. The transitions from Electric to ICE are super smooth on both in normal driving. The shift is more noticeable on the Aviator during sporty driving.

SEAT COMFORT: BMW has come a long way (I have a 06 X3) in comfort and on a 700 mile trip it did very well. The Aviator still has the most comfortable seats for the long trips. I have the best seats offered in both. This is the primary reason the Aviator is still in the garage. It is on thin ICE on the path to staying. This is a very subjective area and I'm sure each will have their own opinion. The Lincoln Massage function is better IMO.

TECHNOLOGY: The Bimmer is newer and should be more advanced and it is. I got to use the driver assist in rush hour Atlanta, it worked flawlessly and was actually entertaining to watch the radar paint cars and trucks to the left and right sides. The Lincoln does stop and go, but you cannot be hands free and it is far from smooth.

Drag strip: The Bimmer feels quicker, but the luxury yacht beat it by a second.

TOWING: Surprising to me, the X5 can tow and tow well. It bests the Lincoln by 1000lbs. Pulling my trailer they are both very composed, no real difference in braking or starting out. I was pulling 4500lbs. Anything more and I would add a brake controller. The most annoying thing with the BMW tow package is no cover and deletion of the foot wave sensor. Even though the BMW is rated pull more, I give this to Lincoln for function and aesthetics.

CABIN QUIETNESS: Don't believe the Lincoln commercials. It is quiet, but so is the X5

EYE CANDY: Gotta give this to Lincoln, the X5 looks nice, but the Aviator still draws the "wow" what is that in front of the theater.

OVER ALL UTILITY: X5 shines with the mini tail gate to keep the groceries in. The Aviator second row folds flatter, The Aviator cup holder are slightly better. The BMW infotainment system is better with bluetooth carplay and quick response on the nav display. The Aviator Heads Up display is bigger and easier to see. The Bimmer 360 camera is better and the car wash mode is a godsend to getting my wife to pull in the garage straight. A line on the floor and all she does is put the projected lines on it and boom, its parked straight. The Aviator is a tad bigger and has a useful 3rd row. Using just two rows it has a lot more usable space. For those in cold parts of the country, the wife got to try the heated elements and gave the X5 a big smile and said she loved the heated arm rests. The Lincoln has several 110 outlets to plug in electronics or small vacuums.

What amazed me was at the end of the day, I paid more for the Aviator, and so on bang for the buck, the X5 takes it easily.
You said the X5 wins on most categories. Your analysis shows they are basically tied. The Aviator in your own words is faster, rides more comfortably and has more of a wow factor. Only PHEV seems to be a clear feature winner and lower price…
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 12:08 PM   #180
patt1289
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3, Aviator GT, X5 45e, Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
You said the X5 wins on most categories. Your analysis shows they are basically tied. The Aviator in your own words is faster, rides more comfortably and has more of a wow factor. Only PHEV seems to be a clear feature winner and lower price…
Uh, no it was better in Utility, Price/value, technology, PHEV use, sport driving.

The areas other than the quarter mile(faster) and space are subjective (Comfort, looks) even ride is subjective. My analysis is just my opinion on what suits me, as is any subjective review. I see reviews calling one or the other best of their class. I think a person needs to really spend a little time with both before making a decision. In 2020, the Aviator was way ahead of the 2019 X5 that was available when I ordered in 2019. My review was just saying the X5 is better than then, and the Aviator needs a mid cycle big adjustment to stay competative. If I were comparing today, I would go with the X5, personally. I won't give up my Aviator for another X5 PHEV today, but the XM has me thoroughly intrigued as does next years X5 refresh.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 09:38 AM   #181
alkalinecoffee
Rep
Drives: '23 X5 45e

This guy talks about a suspension issue where the 45e drives too floaty over bumps.
Appreciate 1
Condorll203.50
      10-10-2022, 10:49 AM   #182
jiggie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

I definitely would not classify it as floaty by any means. When I think of Floaty, I think of Airmatic on GLE's lol.
Appreciate 2
      10-13-2022, 02:14 AM   #183
leightos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 XM,'21 45e 'Lemon', '23 45e

Wondering about that speed test

at the end there where he does that 0-100 speed burn, he does it in Sport mode, doesn't he? Which I always thought was only w/ the ICE running. He talks about getting a boost from the Electric engine. But you have to be in Hybrid I thought to get it to gun from the start and have both engines work for you.
I could be mistaken however.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 03:47 AM   #184
Flyboy2017
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by leightos View Post
at the end there where he does that 0-100 speed burn, he does it in Sport mode, doesn't he? Which I always thought was only w/ the ICE running. He talks about getting a boost from the Electric engine. But you have to be in Hybrid I thought to get it to gun from the start and have both engines work for you.
I could be mistaken however.
Sport mode uses both.
Appreciate 1
leightos187.00
      03-07-2023, 12:09 PM   #185
Bmwx5z
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Appreciate 2
      03-09-2023, 09:12 PM   #186
Bmwx5z
Private First Class
Rep

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 10:22 PM   #187
Bmwx5z
Private First Class
Rep

https://youtu.be/p0-yAkrXi3Q
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2024, 12:38 PM   #188
carfan36
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50e 2024, CRV Hybrid 2023

Latest X5 LCI review by Mat Watson

Here is the link

Appreciate 1
JoeAyalaM142.50
      03-01-2024, 03:48 PM   #189
JoeAyalaM
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMWX5 M60i / Audi S6 V8TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfan36 View Post
Goofy reviewer. Somebody tell him to stop smoking that!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 09:25 AM   #190
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 435x MSport

Garage List
Hopefully this is better than creating a new thread - but curious, anyone come from an F36 N55 over to the X5 40? My goals are really to get a bit more interior room (especially for the kids in the back), a bit more tech, but maintain as much of that sweet performance as I can.

I'm coming from a N55 F36 that is basically FBO minus upgraded turbo, as well as both a BM3 stg2 and XHP stg2. I really love the thrill of the boost and the spirit of the car, but there are some stuff that is growing on me in a bad way (i.e. oyster interior, bad idea - and cramped space especially after going through a bunch of SUVs for my wife and landing on a Mazda CX90)

Anyway, the x5 40 is the one that i think best fits the budget, as well as providing a damn good engine that I can maintain myself when needed (the v8's are a bear from experience - my dad has owned several 7 series).

Test drive was great, but I'm curious if I'm going to miss out on that "sport coupe" feel.
      04-01-2024, 02:09 PM   #191
Gibson6594
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paimon.soror View Post
Hopefully this is better than creating a new thread - but curious, anyone come from an F36 N55 over to the X5 40? My goals are really to get a bit more interior room (especially for the kids in the back), a bit more tech, but maintain as much of that sweet performance as I can.

I'm coming from a N55 F36 that is basically FBO minus upgraded turbo, as well as both a BM3 stg2 and XHP stg2. I really love the thrill of the boost and the spirit of the car, but there are some stuff that is growing on me in a bad way (i.e. oyster interior, bad idea - and cramped space especially after going through a bunch of SUVs for my wife and landing on a Mazda CX90)

Anyway, the x5 40 is the one that i think best fits the budget, as well as providing a damn good engine that I can maintain myself when needed (the v8's are a bear from experience - my dad has owned several 7 series).

Test drive was great, but I'm curious if I'm going to miss out on that "sport coupe" feel.
I can't answer if you will miss it, but you are moving to a totally different vehicle, so it is tough to compare. If you're expecting a sports coupe feel, I wouldn't get your hopes up. Shop for what you need. If it's more space, then get more space via the X5, but don't expect the best of both worlds.
Appreciate 1