BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-25-2021, 05:44 PM   #1
Somecarguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 xDrive 40i

21 xDrive 40i Power Supply Failure.

So searched online and on here and couldn't find much on this. Basically, I was driving around this morning and a CEL and a "Power Supply" message popped up. Took it to the dealer immediately and a preliminary diagnoses all pointed to the 48v hybrid battery malfunctioning. SA told me they'd have to keep it another day to discuss with BMW on next steps and possibly order a new replacement battery. Seems like they weren't too familiar with the problem. Would explain why I can't find anything online. First MY with the mild hybrid tech..

Anyone else have this issue? Just bought the car 3 months ago with a little over 3k miles and already an issue! Hope this isn't a sign of things to come

And so it begins......
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      08-25-2021, 08:07 PM   #2
GREENPUS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C

I love my BMW service dept but I think BMW leaves their service dept's in the dark with the mild hybrid systems. They work on PFM lol. I learned quickly you can't leave a trickle/smart charger on the mild hybrids without potentially damaging both the 12v and 48 volt battery.
I hope it works out for you.
2008 Corolla S Souped Up - The Black Widow

Last edited by GREENPUS; 08-25-2021 at 09:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 12:47 PM   #3
Madgirl
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMWX5 40i

Unhappy

Hi - just bought an X5 40i over a month ago, only about 4,000 Km on it and the same message appeared. Got it towed to the dealership where I bought it from. That was last week. Still no word as to what is wrong with it. Really concerned... hopefully this expensive SUV is not a lemon. Hoping maybe you could shed some light as to what you found out was wrong with yours. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 06:50 AM   #4
Somecarguy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madgirl View Post
Hi - just bought an X5 40i over a month ago, only about 4,000 Km on it and the same message appeared. Got it towed to the dealership where I bought it from. That was last week. Still no word as to what is wrong with it. Really concerned... hopefully this expensive SUV is not a lemon. Hoping maybe you could shed some light as to what you found out was wrong with yours. Thanks.
It ended up just needing a full software update for the car. Basically shut everything down, update, and start it all back up again. Car was shipped with outdated software and was never updated by the dealer upon delivery. Seemed to fix it and haven't had the problem again. Everything smooth as butter. This is most likely what you'll need as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 12:37 AM   #5
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somecarguy View Post
It ended up just needing a full software update for the car. Basically shut everything down, update, and start it all back up again. Car was shipped with outdated software and was never updated by the dealer upon delivery. Seemed to fix it and haven't had the problem again. Everything smooth as butter. This is most likely what you'll need as well.
Did they reimburse you for the inconvenience?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 01:07 AM   #6
callouscrab
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xdrive45e

Quote:
So searched online and on here and couldn't find much on this. Basically, I was driving around this morning and a CEL and a "Power Supply" message popped up. Took it to the dealer immediately and a preliminary diagnoses all pointed to the 48v hybrid battery malfunctioning. SA told me they'd have to keep it another day to discuss with BMW on next steps and possibly order a new replacement battery. Seems like they weren't too familiar with the problem. Would explain why I can't find anything online. First MY with the mild hybrid tech..

Anyone else have this issue? Just bought the car 3 months ago with a little over 3k miles and already an issue! Hope this isn't a sign of things to come

And so it begins......
Hello Somecarguy - this exact message popped up in my xdrive45e today. It has also been 3 months since I bought mine (July). It will be towed to the dealer tomorrow, hopefully it is a quick fix!

Did you also see a message about steering being harder? Did the transmission and steering indicators light up?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 11:23 PM   #7
callouscrab
Private
United_States
Rep

Turns out that my dealer thinks it is a water pump issue and it (the pump) will need to be replaced. Thankfully the wait shouldn't be longer than a week (trying to source from the east coast).
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 11:11 AM   #8
Somecarguy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by callouscrab View Post
Turns out that my dealer thinks it is a water pump issue and it (the pump) will need to be replaced. Thankfully the wait shouldn't be longer than a week (trying to source from the east coast).
At least they're on to something. Good news. Hope it works out for you. Seems like a different issue then. Our 40i is still running good after the full software update. Did they try this first for you?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 11:10 PM   #9
callouscrab
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
At least they're on to something. Good news. Hope it works out for you. Seems like a different issue then. Our 40i is still running good after the full software update. Did they try this first for you?
The SA didn't really talk about software as a root cause. I may have been too optimistic - the SA now says that another part related to the pump (some fuse box) also has to be replaced. Needless to say, this is not a quick fix as the part is expected next week.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 08:25 AM   #10
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

I had this too. About 1500 miles on mine. Was driving, and upon hitting the brakes, this popped up. Then disappeared. Came up again, started to pull over, disappeared, iDrive says all is fine. Happened 4 or 5 more times when braking and hasn't returned for about 100 miles or so.

Considering taking it to the dealer, but don't want to waste my time with "no faults found" diagnosis. Did just upgrade to 07/21 so hoping software glitches have been addressed.
      12-16-2021, 06:37 PM   #11
Noels320
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2021

Power supply issue X5 2021

I’ve been dealing with this for some time. I got the “power supply” and “increased steering effort” notices within the first few weeks of owning the brand new 2021 X5. I called in and was told there can be some issues like this if the battery isn’t fully charged, and probably happened because it’s so new. The problem disappeared until a couple months ago, and about 14k miles later. Similar issue occurred, and car did shut down. Had it towed in to dealer. Was told they checked everything and should be good. Same thing happened a couple weeks later and I had it towed in again. They said it needed updates, and they completed that. They drove it almost 200 miles, including an un-authorized drive home for the night with a service tech. Said everything was good, and it should be good. About two weeks later the same thing happened, and I had it towed in a third time. This time they told me it’s related to the 48v battery, and that they need to replace it. Two plus weeks later they received the part and replaced it. It’s only been a couple days since I got it back, so time will tell if that was truly the problem. Almost to the lemon law by the days in shop and # of repairs. Not a happy customer.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 06:38 PM   #12
Noels320
Registered
Rep

I’d take it in so it’s documented
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 07:43 PM   #13
Noels320
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by callouscrab View Post
Hello Somecarguy - this exact message popped up in my xdrive45e today. It has also been 3 months since I bought mine (July). It will be towed to the dealer tomorrow, hopefully it is a quick fix!

Did you also see a message about steering being harder? Did the transmission and steering indicators light up?
I have had all those issues
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 12:58 AM   #14
callouscrab
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noels320 View Post
I have had all those issues
In my case, the issue was the hybrid battery water pump. Dealer replaced it and there have been no more issues since (1+ months).

My SA told me that there was more than 1 water pump in this car and the one related to the hybrid battery was the culprit in my case.

Hope your problem is resolved soon! I did have an issue with the roadside assistance person - he was quite rude and I almost reported him.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 01:16 PM   #15
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

I'm still getting this error, it only happens on highways when I let off the gas and the regenerative functions kick in. City driving does not trigger it. Checked the codes and I see this fault:

21B209: Starter generator / belt for 48V system (OSA_RIEMEN_RISS): Belt between combustion engine and starter generator torn

Service appointment on Monday, so annoying!
      12-30-2021, 06:58 PM   #16
GREENPUS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
I'm still getting this error, it only happens on highways when I let off the gas and the regenerative functions kick in. City driving does not trigger it. Checked the codes and I see this fault:

21B209: Starter generator / belt for 48V system (OSA_RIEMEN_RISS): Belt between combustion engine and starter generator torn

The belt was torn? WTH?
2008 Corolla S Souped Up - The Black Widow
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 07:00 PM   #17
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENPUS View Post
Quote:

The belt was torn? WTH?
TBD. No loaners for a week so I'm driving it still. Zero errors, which is why I'm not sure if it's really an issue or some glitch.

It's really odd for it to say EVERYTHING IS BROKEN STOP NOW, and then two seconds later say there are zero issues.
      01-02-2022, 01:13 PM   #18
Somecarguy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENPUS View Post
Quote:

The belt was torn? WTH?
TBD. No loaners for a week so I'm driving it still. Zero errors, which is why I'm not sure if it's really an issue or some glitch.

It's really odd for it to say EVERYTHING IS BROKEN STOP NOW, and then two seconds later say there are zero issues.
Definitely weird…our X5 hasn't had that problem pop back up since the full software upgrade performed by the dealership. I'd ask them to look into that to see if you're having the same issue. Could be a relatively easy fix if so..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 03:19 PM   #19
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Vehicle is ready for pickup, seems like a known issue.

-

Installed 11289844643 :B1-Ribbed v-belt
Installed 11287952899 :B1-Mechanical belt tensioner Installed 11118664905 :B1MI-Shaft seal
1) CONNECTED CHARGER AND PERFORMED SHORT TEST. FOUND FAULT 21B209 SGR48 SLIP IN BELT DRIVE OR BELT TORN.
2) RAN TEST PLAN.
3) PER SIB 12 07 21 REMOVED THE DRIVE BELT, TENSIONER, & VIBRATION DAMPER.
4) SENT TSARA CASE 1526131.
5) PER TSARA REPLACED THE DRIVE BELT & BELT TENSIONER.
6) REINSTALLED VIBRATION DAMPER AND CLEANED PULLIES PER SIB.
7) PER TSARA ALSO REPROGRAMMED COMPLETE VEHICLE WITH ISTA 4.33.20. ROAD TESTED OK, FAULT DID NOT REOCCUR.
      01-18-2022, 08:40 PM   #20
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

FWIW, when you get an error or warning message that pops up, it generally is stored in the vehicle memory, so, there is a record of it happening whenever the vehicle is in for service when they (should) check for any errors.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 11:27 PM   #21
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

FYI - This has once again recurred on a road trip. It's so random. I drive .. passionately in the city, never an issue. But an hour of sustained freeway speeds and the issue occurs.
      08-24-2022, 02:04 PM   #22
frostychako
Registered
Rep
Drives: x5 bmw

Quote:

I have received similar Power Supply message...
how did you checked the codes, thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0