10-05-2021, 04:57 PM   #1
Torijona
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F95 X5M

Tire wear

Hi all!

Just wondering how many miles have you gotten in before replacing the tires. It looks like I need tires at 5k miles and that is just mind blowing on tires that are supposed to last 15k/30k miles.

Has anyone switched to a different tire? Not so many options for run/flats
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 06:01 PM   #2
HZX540e
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

Yeap same here. I have an X5MC with the mushy Perrelli tires, so they need to be replaced around 5-6k but could be stretched to 8-10. I doubt they'll be safe to drive after 10k miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 08:43 PM   #3
mswaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5M

What vehicle do you have and what tire? I assume you do not have an M since you are referencing run flats?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 06:48 AM   #4
AJA5900
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M Comp

My continentals on my x3m only lasted 6 k. Don't know about my X5m yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 09:59 AM   #5
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

My michelin one's would be about 50% around 4500. But when I put her on the track it was about two good track days a set, so I started buying spare sets for track and for daily. I would guess michelin's last a bit longer but not really by much, I would estimate about 12k most out of my daily set.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 1
F95inOC44.00
      10-10-2021, 06:32 PM   #6
bellabimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F95

I am in Michelin PS4 with 12.5k miles and they are still fine…Pirellis wear out fast.
Appreciate 2
Mr.blue221.50
F95inOC44.00
      10-10-2021, 07:12 PM   #7
X5MC_LI
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

Almost at 14k now. Mine also fine
Michelin
Appreciate 3
      10-10-2021, 10:42 PM   #8
RAUDERRIPPER
Captain
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5MC_LI View Post
Michelin
Hey man. DM Inbox is full, can't message you!
      10-18-2021, 02:15 PM   #9
Torijona
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5MC_LI View Post
Michelin
Hi all! I have Michelin pilot sport 4s on an X5M Competition. They assumed that because of the model, being lowered and the Akra exhaust, that I was driving it hard. I have never been below 50% tread wear guaranteed life. They are supposed to last 15k on the back and 30k in the front. The dealer insisted that I needed new tires and upon checking it was close to the limit.

I ended up calling Michelin and BMW and they are working things out.

I was under the impression that mine were runflat given the previous cars I have owned. Dang! For $650 a pop, they should do tricks and everything haha. I ll keep you posted.

Sorry for the delay. I have been remodeling one of my bathrooms and I got my hands full.
Appreciate 1
c12h231.00
      10-19-2021, 11:02 AM   #10
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Im at 6K on my factory PIerelli's. They are still going strong, plenty of tread.

People burning out tires by 5-6K must be driving like animals. There's no room for that in NY. We get a few red light blasts here and there, but the traffic is so bad that you have to go out for a night drive at 10 PM to stretch the M's legs out.

I honestly just like having the car and knowing its got the power lol. Nothing like driving slow on the interstate and looking at your rearview mirror to see that 2010 infinity G35 or Civic type R relax a bit with their traffic bobbing and weaving when he sees you just cruising.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 11:07 AM   #11
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torijona View Post
Hi all!

Just wondering how many miles have you gotten in before replacing the tires. It looks like I need tires at 5k miles and that is just mind blowing on tires that are supposed to last 15k/30k miles.

As far as I know, non of the OEM XM tire options are run flat. They are all regular style tires.

The problem is that they are staggered and in weird sizes so not many options besides michelin and pirelli.
Appreciate 1
HZX540e373.50
      10-25-2021, 04:36 PM   #12
Torijona
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post
Quote:
Hi all!

As far as I know, non of the OEM XM tire options are run flat. They are all regular style tires.

The problem is that they are staggered and in weird sizes so not many options besides michelin and pirelli.
My previous M3 had run flats and so did my Z06 and Jeep SRT. I assumed wrong. I will be looking at different tires and wheels once I have to replace the fronts.

But anyway, Tires were partially covered under warranty (66% of the cost of tires, Mounting and balancing). I am satisfied with the outcome as it was a logical decision since my tires only lasted 33% of the warranty term and they are parts subject to wear and tear.

I drive the car like an M should be driven and being in North Carolina allows me to safely do so. Believe that warranting these tires for 15k miles in such a heavy but powerful car is a bit of a stretch.

Thank you all for the input and keep enjoying your M's.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 07:52 PM   #13
keving75
Rep
Drives: M235

Do the rear tires wear faster than the fronts on X5MC?

I am switching to Michelins and I have a deal to get 6 sets of rears (22"). If they do wear differently, I may stock up on the back tires.
I only have 600 miles on my new X5, but I can already tell I do not like the Pirellis.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 02:25 PM   #14
Torijona
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keving75 View Post
Do the rear tires wear faster than the fronts on X5MC?

I am switching to Michelins and I have a deal to get 6 sets of rears (22"). If they do wear differently, I may stock up on the back tires.
I only have 600 miles on my new X5, but I can already tell I do not like the Pirellis.
That will depend on how you drive, temperature, how you load the car, how you have traction control set up and suspension. In my experience, rears ALWAYS wear faster. For me, they wear twice as fast. As you accelerate, car weight shifts to the back and wear increases while at the front decreases; the opposite happens when you brake. This is my first time with an AWD staggered wheel/tire setup and didn't know what to expect. My jeep SRT wore rears faster with a square setup, but then I would rotate them every so often.

I would stay away from stocking too many tires because they are massive and they also dry-rot over time; that is why you can get some dead-stocked tires cheap on eBay (they have been sitting there for a while). One of the reasons they do offers like this is because of that. High-end specialty tires are produced in batches and they need to refresh inventory; sometimes they just make offers to increase sales, but I don't ever stock more than a set at a time. You can also get dry rot from just letting your car sit out there over time. Florida weather is harsh on the tires. It is not as bad up here in NC.

You should be able to get 10k miles out your rear tires. Mine clearly had something wrong with them. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 07:42 AM   #15
keving75
Rep
Drives: M235

Quote:
That will depend on how you drive, temperature, how you load the car, how you have traction control set up and suspension. In my experience, rears ALWAYS wear faster. For me, they wear twice as fast. As you accelerate, car weight shifts to the back and wear increases while at the front decreases; the opposite happens when you brake. This is my first time with an AWD staggered wheel/tire setup and didn't know what to expect. My jeep SRT wore rears faster with a square setup, but then I would rotate them every so often.

I would stay away from stocking too many tires because they are massive and they also dry-rot over time; that is why you can get some dead-stocked tires cheap on eBay (they have been sitting there for a while). One of the reasons they do offers like this is because of that. High-end specialty tires are produced in batches and they need to refresh inventory; sometimes they just make offers to increase sales, but I don't ever stock more than a set at a time. You can also get dry rot from just letting your car sit out there over time. Florida weather is harsh on the tires. It is not as bad up here in NC.

You should be able to get 10k miles out your rear tires. Mine clearly had something wrong with them. Hope this helps.
Very helpful. I figure I will be replacing the rears more quickly than the fronts. I have a Michelin connection here in SC that can get me a deal on some rears, but I am curious about the age.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 11:45 AM   #16
Torijona
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keving75 View Post
Very helpful. I figure I will be replacing the rears more quickly than the fronts. I have a Michelin connection here in SC that can get me a deal on some rears, but I am curious about the age.
I figured I would post an update. It has been more than 10k miles on the new rear setup and the tires still have probably good 5k miles on them, which aligns with the warranty period. My point is, sometimes, a certain tire batch can be defective and you can be in this situation. Not allow the dealer to tell you it is you because you have a heavy foot (assumption from being an M car). I definitely let the service manager know last time I went to the dealer a few weeks ago so he knows to rule out tire defects when tire is still under warranty. It took escalating to Michelin and letting them know how upset I was after having my first issue with Michelin tires after being a loyal customer since 2001. Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 05:14 AM   #17
bellabimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F95

with Michelin p4s I did 60k kilometers
Appreciate 0