BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-22-2021, 01:29 AM   #1
bigmak76
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 X5 M50I

Radio/Navigation Volume Issue

I tried Googling this, but not much popped up.

Out of nowhere, over the past couple of weeks while I'm playing music through my iPhone/Airplay and I go to turn up the volume, both on steering wheel and knob, instead of turning up the music, it turns up the navigation volume. I have no clue why it's doing this, and even worse, I can't get the the nav volume function to turn off, so it basically mutes my music until I restart the car.

Can anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong or how to fix? Much appreciated. Oh, and it's in a '20 M50i I've owned for 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 05:29 AM   #2
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmak76 View Post
I tried Googling this, but not much popped up.

Out of nowhere, over the past couple of weeks while I'm playing music through my iPhone/Airplay and I go to turn up the volume, both on steering wheel and knob, instead of turning up the music, it turns up the navigation volume. I have no clue why it's doing this, and even worse, I can't get the the nav volume function to turn off, so it basically mutes my music until I restart the car.

Can anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong or how to fix? Much appreciated. Oh, and it's in a '20 M50i I've owned for 2 years.
If you navigation is outputting sound at the time you turn up the volume, it will increase volume of navigation. If you only want to increase the volume for your music, just make sure the navigation isn't instructing you at that moment as well….
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 05:34 AM   #3
Trek4ward
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

This occurred with my car a few weeks ago. I couldn't get the volume on the audio source to increase no matter what. Wife was asleep next to me, so I just toughed it out for about 30 minutes. When I went behind a cliff and lost satellite coverage for a few seconds, as soon as I regained it, all was fine. Hasn't happened since. Bizarre.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 12:07 PM   #4
bigmak76
Private
United_States
Rep

Ya, it's so weird. Thanks for the advice. The thing is, I'm not using navigation when this happens. I mean, I have the map on the screen, but I'm not using it to tell me where to go.

My guess is that it has something to do with Airplay and because I often use Waze, which I think might keep running in the back ground. But I don't know. Just annoying when it happens.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 12:48 PM   #5
XGoober
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Did you recently upgrade to iOS 15? Sometimes there can be a little teething pain when it comes to handoffs between a new OS and third parties.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 01:52 PM   #6
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

I had exact same problem on a road trip past weekend, it would not let me turn the music up/down. I just had to disconnect/reconnect.
It also occasionally mutes the directions, won't speak them out on google maps via Android Auto.. Luckily it wasn't permanent.
      10-22-2021, 02:02 PM   #7
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

You might want to try rebooting the telematics. Push and hold the volume button until the iDrive screen reboots 3 times. It takes about 90 seconds of pushing and holding the volume button in for it to reboot 3 times.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 11:22 AM   #8
bigmak76
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGoober View Post
Did you recently upgrade to iOS 15? Sometimes there can be a little teething pain when it comes to handoffs between a new OS and third parties.
Ya, I think you're right that it's because of iPhone's new IOS. That's when it started happening. Hopefully the new update I just downloaded will solve issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 12:21 PM   #9
XGoober
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmak76 View Post
Ya, I think you're right that it's because of iPhone's new IOS. That's when it started happening. Hopefully the new update I just downloaded will solve issue.
Could be. I've seen some weirdness with CarPlay navigation through iDrive 6 in my X3. Always a few little glitches early on after a new release.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 12:55 PM   #10
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
doubt it's iOS 15. i've been on it since release, currently running 15.1 on my iPhone 12 Pro. CarPlay connection has been rock solid with my MY21 45e since 10 months of ownership, and i play my music library through it daily. physical volume controls always adjust my music volume, never iDrive, Apple Maps, or Google Maps navigation (unless i'm on a phone call, of course).
Appreciate 0