10-26-2021, 11:19 AM   #1
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

First Door Ding

Just got my first door ding on the G05

As far as I can tell it's not from a door, almost looks like something hit it. Maybe from the storm this past weekend on the west coast?

Onto my question - For those who have done paintless dent repair, is it better to wait until I get a few more before doing it? That is, is the cost savings significant enough that it's not worth it with just done dent?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 11:47 AM   #2
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuicyYumboYack View Post

As far as I can tell it's not from a door, almost looks like something hit it. Maybe from the storm this past weekend on the west coast?

Onto my question - For those who have done paintless dent repair, is it better to wait until I get a few more before doing it? That is, is the cost savings significant enough that it's not worth it with just done dent?
A reputable body shop should only charge you per ding.

I had my X5 done a few years ago and there was a breakdown sheet of each dent they repaired.

I think it cost me like $300 or something for about 6-8 dings.
      10-26-2021, 01:13 PM   #3
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Holy crap I don't know if it's because I'm in the bay area but I just got quoted $300 for a single dent. More expensive than I was expecting.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2021, 01:23 PM   #4
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

Do you have Dent Wizard out that way? I have used them before and it didn't cost much....
Appreciate 2
      10-26-2021, 02:02 PM   #5
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1200c View Post
Do you have Dent Wizard out that way? I have used them before and it didn't cost much....
Looks like we do! Thanks for the rec!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 02:03 PM   #6
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

I drove to the shop rather than make them come to me. In Jax, which has an admittedly far lower COL than SF, a "normal" door ding was $35 a pop and a multi-contour 2-3" dent on an aluminum hood was $250.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2021, 02:10 PM   #7
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie fairmont View Post
I drove to the shop rather than make them come to me. In Jax, which has an admittedly far lower COL than SF, a "normal" door ding was $35 a pop and a multi-contour 2-3" dent on an aluminum hood was $250.
Got it, thanks for that data point! I'm starting to think I just got an estimate on the higher end of the spectrum. I'll make some more calls.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 02:11 PM   #8
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

Quote:
Looks like we do! Thanks for the rec!
No problem. I wish I could help with those silly gas prices y'all are stuck with.... Crazy what I am hearing on the news.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 02:13 PM   #9
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No problem. I wish I could help with those silly gas prices y'all are stuck with.... Crazy what I am hearing on the news.
Yeah, I just read that there was a town where gas hit $8.00. Granted it's a small town with no other gas stations nearby, but still, $8.00...

I'm basically using electric mode exclusively.
Appreciate 1
john1200c238.50
      10-26-2021, 06:37 PM   #10
jps3b
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

I'm so sorry to hear that. I had my X6 10 years before I got my first door ding. It was the valet drivers at the ritz Carlton across from the staples center. It's not their fault. The spaces are small and they are always in a hurry.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2021, 07:56 PM   #11
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Yeah, I just read that there was a town where gas hit $8.00. Granted it's a small town with no other gas stations nearby, but still, $8.00...

That real high price per gallon was probably at the gas station in Gorda, CA, just down the PCH from you. And yes, it's in a remote location with no competition for miles.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2021, 08:20 PM   #12
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

I would do it now.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2021, 08:56 PM   #13
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 45e

Quote:
Quote:

#1: so sorry to hear that you got a door ding! Where did that happen? I mean, not literally where, more like, in which context? The good thing (under the circumstances) is that it should be something that you can easily get fixed for a reasonable price.

#2: holy cow, at $8 a gallon you guys are approaching European gas prices!
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2021, 10:06 PM   #14
tenzor
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

I had 3 dings repaired past Spring and it was $275. Two big dings were $225 and a little one added another $50. I am in North Bay, guy came to my detailer when the car was there.
Appreciate 2
      10-26-2021, 10:13 PM   #15
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
that sucks

If it were me, I'd go to Autobahn that's right behind BMW Mountain View - the owner there is fantastic and does some of the best work I've ever seen ... I can't say he's the cheapest, but it's really the only place I ever take my BMWs to any more because he's just so good. Doesn't look like much, but the stuff he's been able to fix on my vehicles, and the level of quality of the repairs has been sky high ...

that said, he's going to tell you what it'll take to fix it in the best possible way and so it probably won't be cheap, but who knows?
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2021, 12:00 AM   #16
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wait What? View Post
Quote:
Quote:

#1: so sorry to hear that you got a door ding! Where did that happen? I mean, not literally where, more like, in which context? The good thing (under the circumstances) is that it should be something that you can easily get fixed for a reasonable price.

#2: holy cow, at $8 a gallon you guys are approaching European gas prices!
What's annoying is that I can't tell what caused the dent. I don't think it was another car in a parking lot, but maybe? All I know is that it's the only thing I see now when I look at the car.
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2021, 12:02 AM   #17
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
that sucks

If it were me, I'd go to Autobahn that's right behind BMW Mountain View - the owner there is fantastic and does some of the best work I've ever seen ... I can't say he's the cheapest, but it's really the only place I ever take my BMWs to any more because he's just so good. Doesn't look like much, but the stuff he's been able to fix on my vehicles, and the level of quality of the repairs has been sky high ...

that said, he's going to tell you what it'll take to fix it in the best possible way and so it probably won't be cheap, but who knows?
Thanks for the recommendation! I actually have to go to the dealer soon so I'll swing by and see what they say.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18116.50
      10-28-2021, 02:49 PM   #18
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

I ended up going to a local guy because I couldn't take it anymore. Only took about 30 minutes for the actual work.

The paint is scratched from the initial impact, which sucks, but I think I'll be able to mostly reduce how it looks with some compound.

As for the dent: as far as I'm concerned, PDR is magic. The dent is completely gone, and it's perfectly flat. Very happy with how it turned out.
Appreciate 4
IFlyX5236.50
JimVR4337.50
GrussGott18116.50
      10-28-2021, 03:12 PM   #19
Ashme
Private
Rep
Drives: Viper, GX460, BRZ

First one is going to be the most expensive, especially on something like a door where most of the time is removing the door panel and whatever else they need to remove to access it from the inside.
2011 Lexus GX (for sale soon)
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 03:39 PM   #20
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashme View Post
First one is going to be the most expensive, especially on something like a door where most of the time is removing the door panel and whatever else they need to remove to access it from the inside.
I asked him how he did it and he said that he get a tool in through the top where the window is and massaged it out from the other side. Kind of wish I stayed to watch him do it but that felt rude so I went to grab a coffee instead.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 06:58 PM   #21
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
I asked him how he did it and he said that he get a tool in through the top where the window is and massaged it out from the other side. Kind of wish I stayed to watch him do it but that felt rude so I went to grab a coffee instead.
I think the people that do PDR never liked to be watched.
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2021, 08:02 PM   #22
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

Quote:
...As for the dent: as far as I'm concerned, PDR is magic. The dent is completely gone, and it's perfectly flat. Very happy with how it turned out.
Lol. I agree, magic is involved. Glad it worked out!
Appreciate 1