BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-23-2021, 12:07 AM   #1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x6m50i

interior carbon protection

Hello guys, just a really quick question here:

For all the interior carbon fibre, do you cans also recommend wrapping it with clear wrap to protect it? Would the carbon fiber inside be at risk for scratch or would it be fine the way it is?

I also got the carbon steering wheel and paddle shifters, so would those be more at risk?

If so, do you guys usually ask the people who wrap your car to also wrap the inside?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 12:50 AM   #2
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2978386166 View Post
Hello guys, just a really quick question here:

For all the interior carbon fibre, do you cans also recommend wrapping it with clear wrap to protect it? Would the carbon fiber inside be at risk for scratch or would it be fine the way it is?

I also got the carbon steering wheel and paddle shifters, so would those be more at risk?

If so, do you guys usually ask the people who wrap your car to also wrap the inside?

Thank you!
I'd just use any ceramic (SiO2) or graphene coating ... I"d probably go with Turtle Wax's graphene flex wax, but that might be over kill ... much easier would be Meguire's spray wax ...

That said, I'm not considering an outside PPF wrap, sooooo...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 01:11 AM   #3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x6m50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
I'd just use any ceramic (SiO2) or graphene coating ... I"d probably go with Turtle Wax's graphene flex wax, but that might be over kill ... much easier would be Meguire's spray wax ...

Good to know! thank you for the reply
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 01:31 AM   #4
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The carbon fiber usually has a clear coat on it that isn't all that hard, but the carbon fiber itself is pretty durable. The roof of my i3 was carbon fiber, and it still looked good after 7-years of sitting outside...the inside shouldn't see as much wear and tear.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 02:12 AM   #5
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
The carbon fiber usually has a clear coat on it that isn't all that hard, but the carbon fiber itself is pretty durable. The roof of my i3 was carbon fiber, and it still looked good after 7-years of sitting outside...the inside shouldn't see as much wear and tear.
Unfortunately the interior CF trim (and any dark trim) does get a ton of spiderwebbing on it from routine wiping ...

The best way to prevent that is, when it's new, blow it off with some compressed air, then use a light all-purpose cleaner like Meguire's to make sure it's clean, then put on a spray wax like Meguire's synthenic spray wax ... or even just do an all--in-one clean & wax by using Optimum's No Rinse Wash & Wax.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2021, 06:41 AM   #6
Chas8283
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Quote:

Seen you mention this turtle wax once or twice. Curious what turned you onto it and your results? I tried searching the forum but didn’t find anything on it - although I feel like search feature on here isn’t great so I’m probably missing what’s out there. (I also am thinking about it for CF trim, but also full exterior and winter wheels before I put them on)
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 11:45 AM   #7
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

Quote:
or even just do an all--in-one clean & wax by using Optimum's No Rinse Wash & Wax.
This is exactly what I use (ONR with wax). So far no spiderwebbing, but I'm also really careful about cleaning the plastic trim pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas8283 View Post
Seen you mention this turtle wax once or twice. Curious what turned you onto it and your results? I tried searching the forum but didn’t find anything on it - although I feel like search feature on here isn’t great so I’m probably missing what’s out there. (I also am thinking about it for CF trim, but also full exterior and winter wheels before I put them on)
For those who use spray wax, the Turtle Wax has gotten great reviews. I personally use Meguiar's spray wax, but ultimately they mostly achieve the same thing. It just isn't that much of a topic here on the forums so you won't find anything.

It's fantastic for the exterior of the car, but if you want something for the wheels I would buy something specifically made for wheels. The wax isn't going to hold up for very long because of the heat and exposure to the elements.

Keep in mind that spray waxes are advertised as lasting for months, but that doesn't align with my experience. I probably get a month out of it. I wash my car about every two weeks and use it as a drying aid, so not an issue for me.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      10-26-2021, 09:54 PM   #8
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuicyYumboYack View Post
if you want something for the wheels I would buy something specifically made for wheels. The wax isn't going to hold up for very long because of the heat and exposure to the elements.
Agree with Y3 on all counts ...

As for Turtle Wax, well I found it though some chemistry product guys and, at first, I was like "turtle wax?" but based on their say-so apparently TW has really pumped up the volume on their professional products and, according to them, TW's "hybrid solutions pro" line is the real deal.

I've not tried the Graphene Flex wax yet, which you can get here, but I'm going to when I get my new ride ... there's a caution which is ONLY 2 sprays / panel and follow the directions closely.

Graphene has gotten a little buzzwordy, but the deal is, Ceramic's weakness is water spots, and one you get 'em they're pretty hard to remove ... and if you paid for a spendy ceramic coating that sucks. Thing is, most people who pay for a ceramic coating don't know they have them cause they don't really know their car that well or look too closely which is why they had someone do the ceramic in the first place!

Anyway, Graphene fixes that, but if was hard to get the right product as a consumer - apparently TW's flex wax was a 2 year research project into fixing that problem ... anyway,

I'm kinda between cquartz UK 3.0 + gliss and trying the TW ... given the price & ease I think I'm gonna go for the TW.
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2021, 12:30 AM   #9
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
if you want something for the wheels I would buy something specifically made for wheels. The wax isn't going to hold up for very long because of the heat and exposure to the elements.
Agree with Y3 on all counts ...

As for Turtle Wax, well I found it though some chemistry product guys and, at first, I was like "turtle wax?" but based on their say-so apparently TW has really pumped up the volume on their professional products and, according to them, TW's "hybrid solutions pro" line is the real deal.

I've not tried the Graphene Flex wax yet, which you can get [COLOR="Blue"]here[/COLOR], but I'm going to when I get my new ride ... there's a caution which is ONLY 2 sprays / panel and follow the directions closely.

Graphene has gotten a little buzzwordy, but the deal is, Ceramic's weakness is water spots, and one you get 'em they're pretty hard to remove ... and if you paid for a spendy ceramic coating that sucks. Thing is, most people who pay for a ceramic coating don't know they have them cause they don't really know their car that well or look too closely which is why they had someone do the ceramic in the first place!

Anyway, Graphene fixes that, but if was hard to get the right product as a consumer - apparently TW's flex wax was a 2 year research project into fixing that problem ... anyway,

I'm kinda between cquartz UK 3.0 + gliss and trying the TW ... given the price & ease I think I'm gonna go for the TW.
I want to try TWs wax but I bought a whole gallon of Meguiars spray wax so... probably going to be awhile.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 12:32 AM   #10
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I want to try TWs wax but I bought a whole gallon of Meguiars spray wax so... probably going to be awhile.
yeah that's the problem with the meguiars pro stuff ... giant gallons that you then dilute!
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2021, 03:26 PM   #11
Chas8283
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Thanks GrussGott and YuicyYumboYack. Yesterday I used the flex spray on interior carbon and then did a full treatment on exterior (Meguiar's cleaner wax, TW graphene-infused Max Wax, and flex spray) and the shine on exterior is pretty phenomenal. Didn't notice any change on interior carbon but wasn't expecting to see a difference. https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=754

Curious to see how long shine lasts.
Appreciate 0