BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-08-2020, 09:07 AM   #133
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

My car has the drive recorder, but I still want to install my dash cam. How did you route the wire down the A pillar? Any photos by chance?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 09:50 AM   #134
barrowdad
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30D M Sport (G05)

Hi,

I didn't have any problems running it under the seal on the edge of the A frame. Look at minute 11.20 on my video and it shows the route for the power supply. The route for the rear camera is the same down the A pillar but on the other side. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
Frenetic477.50
      06-08-2020, 10:31 AM   #135
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 10:37 AM   #136
JoseSportM
JoseSportM
Rep
Drives: BMW G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
My car has the drive recorder, but I still want to install my dash cam. How did you route the wire down the A pillar? Any photos by chance?
https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26087717

I hope it helps
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 01:03 PM   #137
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Quote:
Same. I wanted an ‘always recording’ dash cam as I’ve always installed them in my previous cars, albeit not hard wired.
I managed to get one thrown in and installed by the dealer (The official BMW 'Advanced Car Eye' front and rear dash cam) which I pick up next week. This time it’s hard wired. I’ll report back on what it’s like!

Last edited by IftiBashir; 07-11-2020 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 02:51 PM   #138
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

With the help of this thread I was able to install my 2CH dashcam + batterypack. Since the 45e doesn't have much space for a batterypack in the rear, I've found a spot in the D pillar. You only need to remove the speaker bracket (3 bolts) and you can drop it in from above just above the fusebox. Now what I'm searching for are two things:
1) What fuse can I tap into in the rear fusebox that gives power when the car is on/opened, and shutsdown when the car is off/closed? Preferabele a small fuse so I can use my tap-in fuse.
2) Where can I tap into a ground wire near the rear fusebox? I've found an M10 hole in the D pilar of the car which is grounded, but it's not the most professional solution. It works, but I hope there is a better way.

BTW, when someone needs to get from the A pilar to the center mirror console, the best way for me was from the front passenger door seal to the makeup light underneath the sunshade (you can pop the light out with a pry tool), and then to the center console. You can pop of the front plastic cover around the mirror mount.

Last edited by ikheetleon; 08-05-2020 at 05:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 02:21 PM   #139
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep

Finally installed the Nextbase 522GW, which is a grossly underrated dash cam imo.

One thing I had difficulties is finding a spot where it didn’t stand out much. The spot I originally installed it was right behind the right side of the rear view mirror. It was perfect and was hidden away very well, but I discovered I was blocking the chromatic mirror sensor...

I just ended up moving it farther out away from the sensor and up to the top of the windshield. It kind of sticks out now, unfortunately, and is a lot more obvious, but I couldn’t find another decent spot. I’ll post pictures later, but can anyone share pictures of where they mounted their cameras? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 02:58 PM   #140
eagle_bmw
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
With the help of this thread I was able to install my 2CH dashcam + batterypack. Since the 45e doesn't have much space for a batterypack in the rear, I've found a spot in the D pillar. You only need to remove the speaker bracket (3 bolts) and you can drop it in from above just above the fusebox. Now what I'm searching for are two things:
1) What fuse can I tap into in the rear fusebox that gives power when the car is on/opened, and shutsdown when the car is off/closed? Preferabele a small fuse so I can use my tap-in fuse.
2) Where can I tap into a ground wire near the rear fusebox? I've found an M10 hole in the D pilar of the car which is grounded, but it's not the most professional solution. It works, but I hope there is a better way.

BTW, when someone needs to get from the A pilar to the center mirror console, the best way for me was from the front passenger door seal to the makeup light underneath the sunshade (you can pop the light out with a pry tool), and then to the center console. You can pop of the front plastic cover around the mirror mount.
I used the cigarette fuse which is F218 in below diagram. Mine is a 40i m sport 2019 so I don't know if it is the same in 45e. Please consult your car's fuse map. There is always 5-10 minute delay before it completely turns off.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...ent/1VncvSrfBj
      08-07-2020, 03:13 PM   #141
eagle_bmw
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Finally installed the Nextbase 522GW, which is a grossly underrated dash cam imo.

One thing I had difficulties is finding a spot where it didn't stand out much. The spot I originally installed it was right behind the right side of the rear view mirror. It was perfect and was hidden away very well, but I discovered I was blocking the chromatic mirror sensor...

I just ended up moving it farther out away from the sensor and up to the top of the windshield. It kind of sticks out now, unfortunately, and is a lot more obvious, but I couldn't find another decent spot. I'll post pictures later, but can anyone share pictures of where they mounted their cameras? Thanks.
I had mine mounted with a BlendMount, but I used BlackVue dashcams. I have a picture in below post.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25134043
Frenetic477.50
      08-07-2020, 03:35 PM   #142
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep

Thanks. Do you have any pictures standing outside and looking into the car or while sitting in the driver’s seat?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 04:09 PM   #143
eagle_bmw
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Do you have any pictures standing outside and looking into the car or while sitting in the driver's seat?
Can't take good photos from outside but here's a couple from inside.
Attached Images

Frenetic477.50
      08-08-2020, 03:55 AM   #144
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

Quote:
Thanks. Do you have any pictures standing outside and looking into the car or while sitting in the driver's seat?
Here's mine at the passenger side.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Frenetic477.50
      08-08-2020, 07:03 AM   #145
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
Here's mine at the passenger side.
This is pretty much where I installed mine.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 02:58 PM   #146
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 11:23 AM   #147
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep

Ok, just discovered an issue with the Nextbase: I can’t connect to the camera while wireless CarPlay is active. It’s just something with multiple WiFi connections and iOS. So I discovered that if the camera tries to connect, it forces iOS WiFi to drop. However, iOS will automatically try to reconnect at which time it forces the camera to not connect. Edit: it’s not Bluetooth but WiFi.

Question: if I plug in my iPhone to the USB port, will that override the WiFi connection and prevent CarPlay from trying to reestablish connection? Or, is there an easy way to turn off CarPlay temporarily?

Last edited by Frenetic; 08-09-2020 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: WiFi issue not Bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 12:41 AM   #148
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
I read somewhere that hard wiring dash cams will affect the warranty. I have know idea if this is an issue. I'd love to have it hard wired if it doesn't affect the warranty.
Nope - According to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty of your vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part was the cause of or contributed to the failure of the vehicle (15 U.S.C. ... 2302 (C)).
      10-22-2021, 12:52 AM   #149
finn123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Ok, just discovered an issue with the Nextbase: I can’t connect to the camera while wireless CarPlay is active. It’s just something with multiple WiFi connections and iOS. So I discovered that if the camera tries to connect, it forces iOS WiFi to drop. However, iOS will automatically try to reconnect at which time it forces the camera to not connect. Edit: it’s not Bluetooth but WiFi.

Question: if I plug in my iPhone to the USB port, will that override the WiFi connection and prevent CarPlay from trying to reestablish connection? Or, is there an easy way to turn off CarPlay temporarily?
Just go to iOS WiFi settings and disable auto connect for a specific bmw SSID. That way, it won’t interfere. Then connect to your camera, do the stuff you want, and revert bmw WiFi auto connection back (I’d also suggest to disable auto connect to your cam as it doesn’t make much sense to let your phone always connect to that).
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 03:52 AM   #150
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
I read somewhere that hard wiring dash cams will affect the warranty. I have know idea if this is an issue. I'd love to have it hard wired if it doesn't affect the warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post

Nope - According to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty of your vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part was the cause of or contributed to the failure of the vehicle (15 U.S.C. ... 2302 (C)).
In theory Moss-Mag "prove it" is true, in practice it's complete crap, here's why:

(1.) The MM wasn't written to protect modders, it was written to protect to average consumers trying to repair their cars; protect them from, say, GM requiring that consumers could only repair their cars with certified GM parts ... and judges know this <- important More on this in a sec ...

(2.) There's not really a legal thing of "voiding a warranty" (except in very specific explicit circumstances) - what actually happens is an independent business called a dealer submits a request for reimbursement for warranty service from BMWNA and BMWNA either reimburses the dealer ..., or not. Typically for big repairs the dealer will get pre-authorization for work. If BMWNA suspects you've violated the terms of the warranty (by modding), they'll simply deny to reimburse the dealer for the service cost (or deny the pre-auth), which mean either you pay or the work doesn't get done.

(3.) BMWNA can deny warranty work at any time for any reason ... or no reason. BMWNA requires approval from no one - they can deny work any time they want and the consumer's recourse is to sue .. and in court the consumer can bring up an ole thing they want, including Moss-Mag, but that's probably a bad idea (see judges)

(4.) If a consumer sues, that court date is years away because BMWNA's lawyers will delay the trial via continuances for as long as possible; since the car is evidence, it'll have to sit idle during those years of continuances. BMWNA has plenty of time. You probably don't.

(5.) BMWNA also has lots of experts on your car - they built it! BMWNA has all the data, all the engineers, all the design, and all of the knowledge. They'll bring all of that to court with them ... years later. What do you have? nothin. you can hire expert witnesses, but if you don't win you lose those fees.

So, at the end of the day, using Moss-Mag in court assumes you get through the 3-4 years it'll take to even get in front of judge. Then that judge - who's not so excited to hear about why you believe your modding fuck-ups should be funded by BMWNA - will hear from BMWNA's 50 expert witnesses and then he or she will hear you.

Spoiler alert: that's not gonna be a good day in court

A few selections from the X5 warranty:
What is not covered:

Modification of the vehicle or installation of any performance accessories or components attached to the vehicle which alters the original engineering and/or operating specifications or which results in damage to the other original components, electrical interference, electrical short, radio static, water leaks and wind noise.
Here's where BMW gives a shout-out to Moss-Mag in their warranty language
Non‑genuine BMW Parts — While you may elect to use non‑genuine BMW parts for maintenance or repair services, BMW NA is not obligated to pay for
repairs of the non‑genuine BMW parts
or for repairs of any damage resulting from the use of non-genuine parts.

This warranty does not cover malfunctions caused by any of the following:
accident, flood, misuse, modification, alteration, tampering, disconnection, improper or inadequate maintenance, except if performed by an authorized BMW center doing warranty repair work, use of leaded fuel or fuel other than as specified in the Owner’s Manual.
So, basically, yes, hardwiring could have warranty implications because it's "modification, alteration, tampering, & disconnection".

If you want to be ultra-safe, then using cigarette lighter sockets for power would be the way to go ... once you start jamming stuff into fuse blocks, clipping onto wires, etc technically you're risking paying for anything that blows up with your electronics.

Last edited by GrussGott; 10-27-2021 at 04:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 01:23 AM   #151
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
In theory Moss-Mag "prove it" is true, in practice it's complete crap, here's why:

(1.) The MM wasn't written to protect modders, it was written to protect to average consumers trying to repair their cars; protect them from, say, GM requiring that consumers could only repair their cars with certified GM parts ... and judges know this <- important More on this in a sec ...

(2.) There's not really a legal thing of "voiding a warranty" (except in very specific explicit circumstances) - what actually happens is an independent business called a dealer submits a request for reimbursement for warranty service from BMWNA and BMWNA either reimburses the dealer ..., or not. Typically for big repairs the dealer will get pre-authorization for work. If BMWNA suspects you've violated the terms of the warranty (by modding), they'll simply deny to reimburse the dealer for the service cost (or deny the pre-auth), which mean either you pay or the work doesn't get done.

(3.) BMWNA can deny warranty work at any time for any reason ... or no reason. BMWNA requires approval from no one - they can deny work any time they want and the consumer's recourse is to sue .. and in court the consumer can bring up an ole thing they want, including Moss-Mag, but that's probably a bad idea (see judges)

(4.) If a consumer sues, that court date is years away because BMWNA's lawyers will delay the trial via continuances for as long as possible; since the car is evidence, it'll have to sit idle during those years of continuances. BMWNA has plenty of time. You probably don't.

(5.) BMWNA also has lots of experts on your car - they built it! BMWNA has all the data, all the engineers, all the design, and all of the knowledge. They'll bring all of that to court with them ... years later. What do you have? nothin. you can hire expert witnesses, but if you don't win you lose those fees.

So, at the end of the day, using Moss-Mag in court assumes you get through the 3-4 years it'll take to even get in front of judge. Then that judge - who's not so excited to hear about why you believe your modding fuck-ups should be funded by BMWNA - will hear from BMWNA's 50 expert witnesses and then he or she will hear you.

Spoiler alert: that's not gonna be a good day in court

A few selections from the X5 warranty:
What is not covered:

Modification of the vehicle or installation of any performance accessories or components attached to the vehicle which alters the original engineering and/or operating specifications or which results in damage to the other original components, electrical interference, electrical short, radio static, water leaks and wind noise.
Here's where BMW gives a shout-out to Moss-Mag in their warranty language
Non‑genuine BMW Parts — While you may elect to use non‑genuine BMW parts for maintenance or repair services, BMW NA is not obligated to pay for
repairs of the non‑genuine BMW parts
or for repairs of any damage resulting from the use of non-genuine parts.

This warranty does not cover malfunctions caused by any of the following:
accident, flood, misuse, modification, alteration, tampering, disconnection, improper or inadequate maintenance, except if performed by an authorized BMW center doing warranty repair work, use of leaded fuel or fuel other than as specified in the Owner’s Manual.
So, basically, yes, hardwiring could have warranty implications because it's "modification, alteration, tampering, & disconnection".

If you want to be ultra-safe, then using cigarette lighter sockets for power would be the way to go ... once you start jamming stuff into fuse blocks, clipping onto wires, etc technically you're risking paying for anything that blows up with your electronics.

Well there's lawyers and courts for sorting out the interpretation of contracts and the wording used.
      10-29-2021, 03:42 AM   #152
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
Well there's lawyers and courts for sorting out the interpretation of contracts and the wording used.
exactly! It's *getting* to those courts only years later, after all of the continuances are exhausted, that's the tough part. Nobody lasts that long.

There was a Benz guy in the naughties that went the distance - took him almost 4 years to get to court, cost him $20k ignoring his time.

he lost.

Porsche, btw, forces you to go through arbitration first - it's right in their warranty including the firm & the process.

Last edited by GrussGott; 10-29-2021 at 03:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 09:28 AM   #153
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

Any reviews on the “BMW Advanced Car Eye 2.0” ($466 US) w/dealer instal?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 03:49 PM   #154
halfbent
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
India
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi R8

Any update on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post
Same. I wanted an ‘always recording’ dash cam as I’ve always installed them in my previous cars, albeit not hard wired.
I managed to get one thrown in and installed by the dealer (The official BMW 'Advanced Car Eye' front and rear dash cam) which I pick up next week. This time it’s hard wired. I’ll report back on what it’s like!

Last edited by halfbent; 10-29-2021 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 0