04-02-2021, 03:25 PM   #45
bhe
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3v1v3 View Post
Does anyone have any know of an easy way to pop out the original links? I tried it with the heat gun, and also the "socket trick" but none of them worked and I ended up breaking the ball socket piece that connects the link to the car. Please help, as I'm almost tempted to not go through with it anymore. Thanks in advance!
One side with putting a little socket on time. Other side I pop off with a little wrench. The first one I did wrong and removed a screw to much. But like that I could pop it off easy..
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
aug0211167.50
      04-15-2021, 09:22 AM   #46
buggydrvr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21' X5 40i x-drive

Where can i purchase these links in the US or who will ship to the US?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 03:52 PM   #47
cubanbimmer3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G83, X5 m50i

Thanks for this informative post! I apologize for the total newb question, but what is the difference between these lowering links and installing new springs?? I'm assuming there is no benefit in handling with these lowering links as there might be with certain springs. I'm trying to figure out what I want to lower my G05 while adding some 15/20 spacers. I don't mind the way it handles with stock suspension, so don't necessarily need an upgraded spring. I see a lot of people mentioning drop in ride height with different driving modes.. does this mean these lowering springs only apply to people with Air Suspension?
Appreciate 1
lexttu59.50
      04-20-2021, 11:46 AM   #48
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

Standard suspension and/or DHP suspension = Uses traditional coil springs, which require replacement in order to lower the vehicle. Ride height is dependent upon chosen coil springs, and is non-adjustable.

Air suspension = Uses air bags (not coil springs). Ride height is electronically set. Drop links (from this post) "trick" the computer/suspension into "thinking" the car is at normal height. Ride height is adjustable depending upon chosen drive mode.
Appreciate 3
      05-07-2021, 10:51 AM   #49
buggydrvr
Private
United_States
Rep

Passenger side lower than driver side, same link length..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtz1wickedest View Post
I used r33_RGSport links. Different measurements from the BBM links.
I also used the RGsport Links, i disconnected the sensors, double checked my measurements but for some reason the passenger side is lower than the driver side. I took them off and checked measurements again, they were the same, put them back, reconnected and still passenger is lower than driver. I don't get it. What are your measurements ?
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12904.50
      05-07-2021, 11:00 AM   #50
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggydrvr View Post
I also used the RGsport Links, i disconnected the sensors, double checked my measurements but for some reason the passenger side is lower than the driver side. I took them off and checked measurements again, they were the same, put them back, reconnected and still passenger is lower than driver. I don't get it. What are your measurements ?
Make sure that you measure at level ground.
This air suspension sensor is very sensitive, even 1mm unlevel ground will throw the height about 1/4".
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 11:16 AM   #51
buggydrvr
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Make sure that you measure at level ground.
This air suspension sensor is very sensitive, even 1mm unlevel ground will throw the height about 1/4".
Measure what exactly? I'm measuring the link length before installing to make sure the fronts are the same and rears are the same on both sides. It is visibly noticeable when looking at the car from the back that the passenger side is lower.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12904.50
      05-07-2021, 11:26 AM   #52
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Measure what exactly? I'm measuring the link length before installing to make sure the fronts are the same and rears are the same on both sides. It is visibly noticeable when looking at the car from the back that the passenger side is lower.
Measure the gap of the lowering.

Measure on level ground after driving the car.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2021, 11:29 AM   #53
buggydrvr
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Measure the gap of the lowering.

Measure on level ground after driving the car.
How far does it need to be driven and any particular speed i need to hit for things to engage/disengage or whatever? I'm confused as to how one side is lower when the link length is the same. It's like the driver side isn't adjusting or something...I'm measuring in my garage which is certainly level.

Last edited by buggydrvr; 05-07-2021 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12904.50
      05-07-2021, 12:09 PM   #54
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How far does it need to be driven and any particular speed i need to hit for things to engage/disengage or whatever? I'm confused as to how one side is lower when the link length is the same. It's like the driver side isn't adjusting or something...I'm measuring in my garage which is certainly level.
How far off is the measurement?
Trust me, unless you really specifically tell the builder to level the ground, your garage ground will never be level.
Also, after sometime, ground movement will not make it level.

You just need to drive it around the block so the air suspension recalibrate itself. Normal speed.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 02:55 PM   #55
buggydrvr
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Trust me, unless you really specifically tell the builder to level the ground, your garage ground will never be level.

You just need to drive it around the block so the air suspension recalibrate itself. Normal speed.
Well unfortunately that didn't help and now i'm getting a chassis error even though previously i didn't and i've not messed with the connectors or links since. I'm at a loss as to what to do next but appreciate your tips.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12904.50
      05-07-2021, 04:22 PM   #56
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Well unfortunately that didn't help and now i'm getting a chassis error even though previously i didn't and i've not messed with the connectors or links since. I'm at a loss as to what to do next but appreciate your tips.
Could be the link didn't seated properly.
Or your stock plastic ball is damaged. Hence I recommend to remove from the car to work on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 05:01 PM   #57
buggydrvr
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Or your stock plastic ball is damaged. Hence I recommend to remove from the car to work on it.
Thanks again, i figured it out, when i removed the original links, i removed a ball from one end, When i put it back i had the ball facing the wrong direction. Fixed it, all is well! Whew, that was driving me nuts! Thanks again. Note to everyone, make sure if you remove the ball from the stock link, when you put it back on the car, make sure is facing the right direction.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12904.50
      06-07-2021, 12:41 PM   #58
otommytruongo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 g05

Quote:
how is your camber wear after the lowering link? did you have to do camber correction or just left it as it?
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12904.50
      06-07-2021, 12:56 PM   #59
otommytruongo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Oh.. NOW this information gets shared.... lmao

Good info. I had no idea. I knew I was supposed to disconnect the electrical connections..... and I did.... just forgot the 2nd time. It all worked out though.

Good info for everyone.
do you have the link to where you buy the bbm link?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 01:08 PM   #60
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by otommytruongo View Post
how is your camber wear after the lowering link? did you have to do camber correction or just left it as it?
Left it the way it is.
You can't correct camber on the front double wishbone system anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 08:48 AM   #61
ausfahrt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2001 325i Touring

I bought the RGSport lowering links. The install was pretty easy. Before the install I went ahead and bought 4 new OEM BMW links incase I broke it. So the fronts are the same but they changed the back OEM control rods. The bottom part is not plastic anymore. It’s a metal square that slides into the original location and screws in. The other end has a screw type like the BBM links. It’s easier to remove now rathe than pushing the piece in with a socket to remove and you don’t have to worry about breaking the other end, you just use a 10mm socket to remove it. Also unlike the front piece’s that you pop off with the heat gun, it looks like it’s metal rather than plastic.
Attached Images

Last edited by ausfahrt; 08-02-2021 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12904.50
      08-08-2021, 12:42 PM   #62
jmartpr
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05) 45e

New here and to the X5 45e. Just did the install of the RG Sport lowering links. Very easy to do following RG instructions. I did had to remove the rear wheels in order to have good access to the area.

I adjusted the links at 24 mm (front) and 16 mm (rear) per RGs recommendations. I just want a 20 mm drop, basically having loading height in Sport height.

When I finished the job the rear now is higher than the front. Not level. Not sure why. I started the job at +20 from normal height (to have a bit better clearance) and turn off the system. Also unplug each individual sensor as I worked on them. Everything is pluged in.

Any idea what could be wrong or do I have to wait/drive it and the system will reset/level itself?
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12904.50
      08-09-2021, 09:48 PM   #63
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartpr View Post
New here and to the X5 45e. Just did the install of the RG Sport lowering links. Very easy to do following RG instructions. I did had to remove the rear wheels in order to have good access to the area.

I adjusted the links at 24 mm (front) and 16 mm (rear) per RGs recommendations. I just want a 20 mm drop, basically having loading height in Sport height.

When I finished the job the rear now is higher than the front. Not level. Not sure why. I started the job at +20 from normal height (to have a bit better clearance) and turn off the system. Also unplug each individual sensor as I worked on them. Everything is pluged in.

Any idea what could be wrong or do I have to wait/drive it and the system will reset/level itself?
Drive the car around the block.
To let airbag adjust.

I bet you did the front first and the rear last.
So when you lift the car up, the bag is filled with air (vacuuming air due to the weight of suspension assembly).
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 04:02 PM   #64
heeblet
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i xDrive F31

Did mine today. Without lifting at all. I recommend lifting. Will do that if any adjustment needed.

Hard part was popping the ball out but heat from a lighter worked ok.

Also getting the length so precisely even was a challenge but seems to have worked. Will need to make sure they don't vibrate loose later.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 12:46 PM   #65
buggydrvr
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
I bought the RGSport lowering links. The install was pretty easy. Before the install I went ahead and bought 4 new OEM BMW links incase I broke it. So the fronts are the same but they changed the back OEM control rods. The bottom part is not plastic anymore. It’s a metal square that slides into the original location and screws in. The other end has a screw type like the BBM links. It’s easier to remove now rathe than pushing the piece in with a socket to remove and you don’t have to worry about breaking the other end, you just use a 10mm socket to remove it. Also unlike the front piece’s that you pop off with the heat gun, it looks like it’s metal rather than plastic.
Thanks for sharing, do you have any part numbers for the oem links? I need to take my car in for service related to a clunking / knocking sound on the front suspension. I don't want the dealer to see the RGSport links and try to blame them for the problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 11:37 AM   #66
otommytruongo
Private First Class
Rep

hey RG, i just bought the link from you and about to install. I normally just drive comfort and not much in sport mode at all but i do want that sport mode riding height. can i just follow the direction was given in the lowering link package without coding my car to start in sport by default ? i dont drive in sport anyways so im not afraid of dropping it too low by activate sport mode.
Appreciate 0