06-12-2021, 05:59 PM   #23
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Disagree 100% Hankook is a Korean brand, which are all quite decent.

Unless you are chasing down hundredths of seconds on a racetrack..... there really isn't a huge difference between American brands, European brands, and even Korean brands.

It's the CHINESE brands you have to avoid. And, be careful,.because they don't all have "Chinese" sounding names.

Why? Tires are tires, right? Nope. Here's a few reasons why Chinese tires should be avoided:

1) China has ZERO regulation on manufacturing processes for Chinese brands.

2) China uses "whatever" is cheapest to make their products.

3) You could buy 4 identical tires, and they could be made from 4 completely different rubber compounds. One will be soft like pencil erasers.... the others will be made from the same material they make bulldozer tracks from.

4) All those chinese brand tires on ebay? Are from companies that have already closed up shop, and re-opened under a different brand name. You can't return them. There is no warrantee (even if they say there is.... they lie).... and you can't sue them when they fail and kill your family..... because the company doesn't exist.

Now.... I may get some "China makes plenty of good things.... stop being so racist" comments here..... and yes, there are plenty of good things made in China...

.... IF THEY ARE CONTRACTED TO MAKE THEM by a non-Chinese company. (Apple, Samsung, etc). At least then, the company has oversight, quality control, and accountability. In that case, yes.... Chinese products are fine.

If it's a Chinese company, with a Chinese brand name (or no name at all)..... Don't do it. Especially not wheels, tires, brakes, or anything that your family depends on for safety.

Hankook? Makes very decent tires. I bought a set for my wife's Hyundai Tucson, that my entire family commutes in daily.
Exactly! The German manufacturers go through a very stringent process when they pick the OEM tires or approve rims etc. I have had a poor experience buying products claiming to be 'like OEM' shipped from China.

Like you say, many high quality products are made in China but they are under the quality control of a known brand.

For instance, here are the components for an iPhone. Not many local companies making the core components (even if they are manufactured in China). BMW makes more cars in China than any other country…but it's probably made to BMW Quality Controls.

https://www.lifewire.com/where-is-th...e-made-1999503
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2021, 09:08 PM   #24
Bucksn6
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW x5m50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Disagree 100% Hankook is a Korean brand, which are all quite decent.

Unless you are chasing down hundredths of seconds on a racetrack..... there really isn't a huge difference between American brands, European brands, and even Korean brands.

It's the CHINESE brands you have to avoid. And, be careful,.because they don't all have "Chinese" sounding names.

Why? Tires are tires, right? Nope. Here's a few reasons why Chinese tires should be avoided:

1) China has ZERO regulation on manufacturing processes for Chinese brands.

2) China uses "whatever" is cheapest to make their products.

3) You could buy 4 identical tires, and they could be made from 4 completely different rubber compounds. One will be soft like pencil erasers.... the others will be made from the same material they make bulldozer tracks from.

4) All those chinese brand tires on ebay? Are from companies that have already closed up shop, and re-opened under a different brand name. You can't return them. There is no warrantee (even if they say there is.... they lie).... and you can't sue them when they fail and kill your family..... because the company doesn't exist.

Now.... I may get some "China makes plenty of good things.... stop being so racist" comments here..... and yes, there are plenty of good things made in China...

.... IF THEY ARE CONTRACTED TO MAKE THEM by a non-Chinese company. (Apple, Samsung, etc). At least then, the company has oversight, quality control, and accountability. In that case, yes.... Chinese products are fine.

If it's a Chinese company, with a Chinese brand name (or no name at all)..... Don't do it. Especially not wheels, tires, brakes, or anything that your family depends on for safety.

Hankook? Makes very decent tires. I bought a set for my wife's Hyundai Tucson, that my entire family commutes in daily.
Exactly! The German manufacturers go through a very stringent process when they pick the OEM tires or approve rims etc. I have had a poor experience buying products claiming to be 'like OEM' shipped from China.

Like you say, many high quality products are made in China but they are under the quality control of a known brand.

For instance, here are the components for an iPhone. Not many local companies making the core components (even if they are manufactured in China). BMW makes more cars in China than any other country…but it's probably made to BMW Quality Controls.

https://www.lifewire.com/where-is-th...e-made-1999503
Fwiw my 2022 m50i has conti contact 6's on the 22's. Build week 40.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 10:02 PM   #25
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
OEM tires will have the five-pointed star on them which means they were customized to BMW specs. You can sometimes buy the same brand and model tire, but one may have the star on it, and the other may not. Visually, other than the star, you may not be able to discern any differences, but internally, there probably are.
The differences are internal and external. Internally the belts may be different in number and/or construction. Externally the compound, tread pattern, width of each tread or sip may be different. Together all the changes are what BMW thought best for that application.

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 04:35 AM   #26
Pro55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d

Remember though that when Bmw spec a tyre with the star approval they are trying to tick an awful lot off boxes. The tyre they come up with might not suit everyone for each application. If your a farmer and do a lot off off-road then the star rating tyre won’t be for you.
Some customers will want extreme high performance tyres. They can’t star rate everything. As long as it’s made to the wet/dry/aqua planing /strength etc etc criteria, they set then it gets the star.
The Michelin PS4s isn’t star rated but a damn fine tyre if you are happy never to go over a pot hole!!!
Mean for X5 in 22 inch. I know they are rated for M5 comp etc, other models.

Last edited by Pro55; 10-31-2021 at 04:38 AM.. Reason: Correction
Appreciate 0