Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingmongoose View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzapb View Post
Quote:
I think everyone needs to remember that bmw seriously under rates most of their engines. The bmw is probably making 50-75hp more than advertised. Where as Porsche and Audi are closer to their advertised hp. Also, the non hybrid Porsche would probably fair better. And a track hawk would beat all of them.

Either way, my dream suv is still an x5m Comp....I'll settle for a bentayga.
Hmm not so sure on the trackhawk part, the X3/4M can take it in the 1/4 in the right conditions

X3/4m is much faster than the x5/6m.
lolwut
The x5m runs a high 11, the x3m runs a mid 11. The x3m also traps faster. Why is it shocking? The x5m is 1000lbs heavier and less aerodynamic. 100hp difference sure but that's a lot to make up for.
U said much faster and i had thought their accel numbers were fairly similar but the difference is huge in real world situations from my personal experience. At a stop light i punched the X3M off idle and counted to 3 and it was at 20 mph due to massive lag and then it hits pretty hard. Same on a roll it just took forever to begin accelerating was extremely frustrating as was the tiny little seat BMW puts up front.

There is no lag with the 4.4 v8 in the big M's. Just goes immediately.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 03:30 PM   #68
sittingmongoose
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 x3mC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think everyone needs to remember that bmw seriously under rates most of their engines. The bmw is probably making 50-75hp more than advertised. Where as Porsche and Audi are closer to their advertised hp. Also, the non hybrid Porsche would probably fair better. And a track hawk would beat all of them.

Hmm not so sure on the trackhawk part, the X3/4M can take it in the 1/4 in the right conditions

lolwut
The x5m runs a high 11, the x3m runs a mid 11. The x3m also traps faster. Why is it shocking? The x5m is 1000lbs heavier and less aerodynamic. 100hp difference sure but that's a lot to make up for.
U said much faster and i had thought their accel numbers were fairly similar but the difference is huge in real world situations from my personal experience. At a stop light i punched the X3M off idle and counted to 3 and it was at 20 mph due to massive lag and then it hits pretty hard. Same on a roll it just took forever to begin accelerating was extremely frustrating as was the tiny little seat BMW puts up front.

I have 0 lag in my stock x3m. Are you using launch control? Are you in all max sport settings?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 03:46 PM   #69
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lolwut

I have 0 lag in my stock x3m. Are you using launch control? Are you in all max sport settings?
Nah I got to test drive for a while it in all the settings but mostly just in the normal comfort setting. The lag was very apparent and frustrating. Like virtually all people, I don't drive around in Sport Plus racing traffic. I just cruise in comfort 99% of the time but if I need to merge or whatever I want the car to respond without any hesitation. I'm not expecting throttle response like my 991 GT3 or e92 M3 but even with my turbo cars 991 Turbo S and M8 there is very little lag at all with those....the lag in the X3M both mechanical with the turbo and electronic with whatever nannies made the trans really slow to kick down resulted in a miserable test drive experience.

So maybe on paper the X3M is faster on a drag strip but so what if on normal driving the lag would make it unbearable for the driver, where the X5/6M doesnt have comparable lag.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 03:49 PM   #70
sittingmongoose
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lolwut

Nah I got to test drive for a while it in all the settings but mostly just in the normal comfort setting. The lag was very apparent and frustrating. Like virtually all people, I don't drive around in Sport Plus racing traffic. I just cruise in comfort 99% of the time but if I need to merge or whatever I want the car to respond without any hesitation. I'm not expecting throttle response like my 991 GT3 or e92 M3 but even with my turbo cars 991 Turbo S and M8 there is very little lag at all with those....the lag in the X3M both mechanical with the turbo and electronic with whatever nannies made the trans really slow to kick down resulted in a miserable test drive experience.

So maybe on paper the X3M is faster on a drag strip but so what if on normal driving the lag would make it unbearable for the driver, where the X5/6M doesnt have comparable lag.
There is a big difference in responsiveness between standard settings and sport. It's def tuned to be more relaxed in standard settings. With transmission and throttle on sport though there is no hesitation.

I use the two m settings. One is set to all comfort, the other is set to max sport. So it's easy to toggle between them.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 05:08 PM   #71
Msparta
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6M

Having owned 2 X6 M in the recent past I can say it is one of the more enjoyable M cars to drive daily! I am speaking from an M6 grand coupe comp package...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 05:36 PM   #72
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
There is a big difference in responsiveness between standard settings and sport. It's def tuned to be more relaxed in standard settings. With transmission and throttle on sport though there is no hesitation.

I use the two m settings. One is set to all comfort, the other is set to max sport. So it's easy to toggle between them.
Strange, when you look at the torque curves, the S58 displays a massive turbo threshold and almost explodes with a vertical torque wall as from 2800rpm. The V8 pulls like a train as from idle rpm. This on/off behaviour of the S58 would drive me nuts!

Also a X3Mc much faster than a X5Mc?? not when you believe fastestlaps.com. Very comparable at best.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 07:06 PM   #73
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARMAATL View Post
Beyond the vacuum of just this video comparison, something to keep in mind for those preferring the Porsche over the BMW here is also the factor of real world choice.

A loaded BMW X6M tops out at right around $130K. A Cayenne Turbo (non-hybrid) comparably equipped is just shy of $180K.

You could, for the difference, and considering BMW has way more generous discounts, get both an X6M and a base M2 Coupe for the same price as a Cayenne Turbo.

Which of the Porsche folks would rather still have the Cayenne?
I'm one of those guys that picked a Cayenne turbo over an X6M back in 2014. I liked the way the X6 looked and sounded more than the Porsche. Here's why I picked the Porsche:

1. The X6's interior was too close to my 6 series. I wanted something different.
2. The Porsche was way better off road. This might not matter to most but I like going dune bashing in the harshest deserts in the world. The BMW didn't have any answer to air suspension and the wheels were more suited to on road performance.
3. I never had a Porsche prior to the Cayenne so I wanted to check out what Porsche ownership was all about.

I eventually ended up selling the Porsche to get an 8 seater Nissan Patrol that's more reliable and also better for the desert, but I truly enjoyed the hell out of the Cayenne while I still had it.

I haven't bought cars for years because I'm happy in general with whatever I bought earlier - they serve me well and haven't really had any issues. But now that I'm married I'm considering a car for my wife. Our options are the Cayenne S, Range Rover Sport and X5 40i (6 cylinder models because she's not too keen on performance). So far I'm leaning towards the Range Rover just for the novelty factor given that I've had a Porsche and (still have) BMW. But if that wasn't a factor in my decision, I wouldn't mind giving the X5 a go. I heard the new G series X5/6 are way more luxurious than before and also better off road. I'd definitely go for CPO this time around and use the leftover cash for a nice Audemars Piguet lol.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00
      12-07-2020, 07:41 PM   #74
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep
Drives: Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Drive one and you may see why some buy it over the competition. Porsche really knows how to tune an SUV chassis.
Agreed. They’re all fast but the Porsche handles, steers, and all around drives much better. That’s on top of the things like build quality and how much more sporting yet composed the suspension is (this is another level or two better alone).
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00
      12-07-2020, 11:24 PM   #75
RR_Bimmers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21' BMW X5MC, '23 BMW M4C Vert

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysaurus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARMAATL View Post
Beyond the vacuum of just this video comparison, something to keep in mind for those preferring the Porsche over the BMW here is also the factor of real world choice.

A loaded BMW X6M tops out at right around $130K. A Cayenne Turbo (non-hybrid) comparably equipped is just shy of $180K.

You could, for the difference, and considering BMW has way more generous discounts, get both an X6M and a base M2 Coupe for the same price as a Cayenne Turbo.

Which of the Porsche folks would rather still have the Cayenne?
I'm one of those guys that picked a Cayenne turbo over an X6M back in 2014. I liked the way the X6 looked and sounded more than the Porsche. Here's why I picked the Porsche:

1. The X6's interior was too close to my 6 series. I wanted something different.
2. The Porsche was way better off road. This might not matter to most but I like going dune bashing in the harshest deserts in the world. The BMW didn't have any answer to air suspension and the wheels were more suited to on road performance.
3. I never had a Porsche prior to the Cayenne so I wanted to check out what Porsche ownership was all about.

I eventually ended up selling the Porsche to get an 8 seater Nissan Patrol that's more reliable and also better for the desert, but I truly enjoyed the hell out of the Cayenne while I still had it.

I haven't bought cars for years because I'm happy in general with whatever I bought earlier - they serve me well and haven't really had any issues. But now that I'm married I'm considering a car for my wife. Our options are the Cayenne S, Range Rover Sport and X5 40i (6 cylinder models because she's not too keen on performance). So far I'm leaning towards the Range Rover just for the novelty factor given that I've had a Porsche and (still have) BMW. But if that wasn't a factor in my decision, I wouldn't mind giving the X5 a go. I heard the new G series X5/6 are way more luxurious than before and also better off road. I'd definitely go for CPO this time around and use the leftover cash for a nice Audemars Piguet lol.
Just got out of a Range Rover Sport Supercharged for the X5M Competition. Believe me, the novelty wears off fast on the Range Rover Sport. Never again.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2020, 11:40 PM   #76
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Posted this on the other thread:

We all have what we like best and glad we have choices.

I have a Cayenne GTS Coupe. Price wise it competes with all these SUV's. These are all def faster in a straight line however I found the Cayenne GTS much more fun to drive

On point steering, sublime suspension and phenomenal handling. For me it really is about the handling and fun factor. Obviously I wouldn't track a SUV there are far better choices but I love a buttoned down feel and great steering over sheer straight line speed

It also weighs under 5000lbs much lighter than all three of these making it feel much more tossable.

No neutered exhaust either this is loud and mean LOL

In this comparison the RSQ8 looks wise is head and shoulders over the others although I do not like it's driving dynamics at all and frankly prefer the driving dynamics of the Cayenne GTS significantly over any of these

In this test... I would have liked to see the standard fare Cayenne Turbo - I've said before the Cayenne Turbo is a much better comparison as its 800lbs lighter than the Turbo S E hybrid and drives completely different

It's remarkable how fast these SUV's are though. Very impressive
      12-08-2020, 12:57 AM   #77
awg87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
This is straightline performance, it isn't indicative at all for the vehicle dynamics. I wonder why everybody keeps doing this dumb irrelevant tests?
I wonder why anyone cares about any of these metrics on a SUV lol
Appreciate 1
KoenG1428.50
      12-08-2020, 03:32 PM   #78
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post

I have a Cayenne GTS Coupe. Price wise it competes with all these SUV's. These are all def faster in a straight line however I found the Cayenne GTS much more fun to drive

On point steering, sublime suspension and phenomenal handling. For me it really is about the handling and fun factor. Obviously I wouldn't track a SUV there are far better choices but I love a buttoned down feel and great steering over sheer straight line speed

It also weighs under 5000lbs much lighter than all three of these making it feel much more tossable.

In this comparison the RSQ8 looks wise is head and shoulders over the others although I do not like it's driving dynamics at all and frankly prefer the driving dynamics of the Cayenne GTS significantly over any of these

In this test... I would have liked to see the standard fare Cayenne Turbo - I've said before the Cayenne Turbo is a much better comparison as its 800lbs lighter than the Turbo S E hybrid and drives completely different

You just love Porsche and there is nothing wrong with that.
Appreciate 1
LSM1118.00
      12-08-2020, 03:37 PM   #79
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post

You just love Porsche and there is nothing wrong with that.
I do. I've owned significantly more BMW's than Porsches but agree for the latest crop of cars def partial to Porsche

I do miss idrive by far the best interface in the industry imo
AlexFL7835.00
      12-09-2020, 08:29 AM   #80
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lolwut
This is only true for a launched 0-60

X5M/X6M win In street start due to less lag and pull away past 60 in either start due to extra power.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 09:21 AM   #81
sittingmongoose
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lolwut
This is only true for a launched 0-60

X5M/X6M win In street start due to less lag and pull away past 60 in either start due to extra power.
No...the x5/6m traps lower than the x3/4m in the quarter mile, as well as posting longer times. It's slower through the whole race.

The x3/4m can launch hard in launch mode, there is no "lag" when launched properly as the turbos are spooled already.

The only 2 suvs that are faster than the x3/4m are the Lamborghini Urus and sometimes the Trackhawk(I've seen it be much faster and much slower).
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 11:35 AM   #82
m-ch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
This isn't correct. The only time the Cayenne uses full ICE and electric hp is when depressing the boost button on the sport chrono dial. (I have the Cayenne).
I have the cayenne turbo s e hybrid coupe, and in Sportplus it uses all the Ici and elec power, no difference to sport plus and the 20sec boost button.
The 20 seconds boost button is just if you are in elec, hybrid or sport mode and you want in the next secont all available power. If you are already in sportplus
setting, the only thing what happend if you press boost button, is a down shift in
its lowest gear possible, non extra power.

Did a couple of v-box run 100-200 and 200-250kmh and there is absolutly no difference between sportplus and sportplus + 20sec boost.
Best 100-200 was a 8,6 sec for those settings
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 02:19 PM   #83
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-ch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
This isn't correct. The only time the Cayenne uses full ICE and electric hp is when depressing the boost button on the sport chrono dial. (I have the Cayenne).
I have the cayenne turbo s e hybrid coupe, and in Sportplus it uses all the Ici and elec power, no difference to sport plus and the 20sec boost button.
The 20 seconds boost button is just if you are in elec, hybrid or sport mode and you want in the next secont all available power. If you are already in sportplus
setting, the only thing what happend if you press boost button, is a down shift in
its lowest gear possible, non extra power.

Did a couple of v-box run 100-200 and 200-250kmh and there is absolutly no difference between sportplus and sportplus + 20sec boost.
Best 100-200 was a 8,6 sec for those settings
My 992 911 has the 20 second boost button as does my Cayenne GTS coupe
      12-20-2020, 10:24 PM   #84
novablackm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Performante, G05 M50i, RR SVR

when they did the rolling from comfort could of hit the sports response button (press to pass) to allow for 20 seconds of overboost and to drop it into the most aggressive gear . when they are in sports+ does'nt matter when launching .

I also have a cayenne coupe turbo s e-hybrid
      12-20-2020, 10:29 PM   #85
novablackm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Performante, G05 M50i, RR SVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakhred View Post
Just got out of a Range Rover Sport Supercharged for the X5M Competition. Believe me, the novelty wears off fast on the Range Rover Sport. Never again.
i got out of 2 bad marriages, 2016 RR SVR to 2019 SVR fking problems after problems after problems... only nice thing is the exhaust and interior quality. electronics and how the car is put together is just shameful. don't even get me started on service

almost landed in a x6mc if it wasn't for the stop sale fuel ventilator for 3 fking weeks